RXR Inflatable chest protector?

Marty1028
Fantasy
1394th
11/4/2017 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 10:40am
Saw the ad about it floating around here. Is this worth it for hard impacts for say getting ran over slash bad crashes? Looking for something that offers good reliable protection from getting hurt.
|
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/4/2017 2:42pm
awesome product. my kid wore one for years. i think the "look" of it is what keeps it from being everywhere. maybe a top pro will make it "cool" to wear and it will catch on.
Marty1028
Fantasy
1394th
11/4/2017 2:49pm
awesome product. my kid wore one for years. i think the "look" of it is what keeps it from being everywhere. maybe a top pro will...
awesome product. my kid wore one for years. i think the "look" of it is what keeps it from being everywhere. maybe a top pro will make it "cool" to wear and it will catch on.
Do you, your kid, or anyone you know have crash experience with one?
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/4/2017 2:56pm
he ate it for sure lol. its riding. i could wack him with a good stick. he wouldn't feel it. i wish i had one for my ribs. i seem to bang those up the most. maybe they will make an underliner or something?
dedi684
11/4/2017 3:18pm
Been eyeing these for years. My son and I are due for something new so I think I'm gonna get 2 of them.

The Shop

11/4/2017 3:20pm
I have both the old version & the new one. The older version definitely feels safer, but its much hotter and not as comfortable as the newer model.
tempura
11/4/2017 3:58pm
I use the RXR Bullet protector.
It's bulky, heavy and doesn't breath...but it protects, which is more than a lot of these "protectors" out on the market.. With more safety, that's the compromise you'll have to accept.
I haven't had any really big spills in it (wish I was wearing it when I compressed my spine, as I'm still paying the price for that).
The spills that I have had, this protector have soaked up the impacts really well. They work.
RangerLee
11/4/2017 4:17pm
Well, if they make jersey's large enough to go over the top then the look will not be as big of a deal.
tempura
11/4/2017 4:22pm
RangerLee wrote:
Well, if they make jersey's large enough to go over the top then the look will not be as big of a deal.
I'm sure a jersey will go over it, but in my opinion, that would look worse.
I happily put up with the compromises for the added safety factor.
Marty1028
Fantasy
1394th
11/4/2017 4:33pm
tempura wrote:
I use the RXR Bullet protector. It's bulky, heavy and doesn't breath...but it protects, which is more than a lot of these "protectors" out on the...
It's bulky, heavy and doesn't breath...but it protects, which is more than a lot of these "protectors" out on the market.. With more safety, that's the compromise you'll have to accept.
I haven't had any really big spills in it (wish I was wearing it when I compressed my spine, as I'm still paying the price for that).
The spills that I have had, this protector have soaked up the impacts really well. They work.
Does a neck brace fit as well with it?
CG118
11/4/2017 4:36pm
Wish they had some shoulder protection......

I had the old model, and could go down HARD without feeling the hit in my chest or back. Good protection.
tempura
11/4/2017 5:14pm
tempura wrote:
I use the RXR Bullet protector. It's bulky, heavy and doesn't breath...but it protects, which is more than a lot of these "protectors" out on the...
Marty1028 wrote:
Does a neck brace fit as well with it?
No. It doesn't work.
RXR actually doesn't recommend the neck protection.
tempura
11/4/2017 5:17pm
CG118 wrote:
Wish they had some shoulder protection...... I had the old model, and could go down HARD without feeling the hit in my chest or back. Good...
Wish they had some shoulder protection......

I had the old model, and could go down HARD without feeling the hit in my chest or back. Good protection.
They make shoulder and elbow protection to go with the chest protector.
I use this also, and it will fit under the jersey, as long as you're not wearing one of these modern "skinny jerseys"

tempura
11/4/2017 5:19pm
This is basically my RXR setup

swatdoc
11/4/2017 8:17pm
RXR says you actually can use a neck protector - you just have to put on the neck protector first, then the Bullet on top of that. That way the brace is contacting your body, as the brace manufactures say they should be worn.
tempura
11/4/2017 8:34pm
swatdoc wrote:
RXR says you actually can use a neck protector - you just have to put on the neck protector first, then the Bullet on top of...
RXR says you actually can use a neck protector - you just have to put on the neck protector first, then the Bullet on top of that. That way the brace is contacting your body, as the brace manufactures say they should be worn.
Have you tried that, Swatdoc?
I'd be interested to hear how that works out.
mxjon454
11/4/2017 9:35pm
RangerLee wrote:
tempura wrote:
I'm sure a jersey will go over it, but in my opinion, that would look worse. I happily put up with the compromises for the added...
I'm sure a jersey will go over it, but in my opinion, that would look worse.
I happily put up with the compromises for the added safety factor.
That would look full Euro from the mid 90s right there lol
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
11/5/2017 6:52am
I love mine....just have the front and back protector, besides it gets a little hot in the summer....I think it is a pretty good set up.
mxjeff575
11/5/2017 9:36am
Also check out Tek Vest. That is what I'm wearing. A bit hot and bulky, and certainly not stylish, but it is time to ride with more protection.
swatdoc
11/7/2017 5:32pm
Tempura - I just got a Bullet a couple days ago, along with their shoulder brace setup. I'll let you know
acres951
11/7/2017 8:20pm
I wish more products protected the lower torso area. I feel like the kidneys, spleen etc could use some foam or plastic coverage to minimize damage.
tempura
11/7/2017 8:27pm
swatdoc wrote:
Tempura - I just got a Bullet a couple days ago, along with their shoulder brace setup. I'll let you know
That would be good to hear, thanks.
I've had conflicting info from them, they told me it wouldn't work well, and so I didn't go any further with purchasing a neck protector.
I'm sure you're going to like the RXR protection, I really appreciate mine.
ron727
Fantasy
2289th
11/7/2017 8:35pm
swatdoc wrote:
RXR says you actually can use a neck protector - you just have to put on the neck protector first, then the Bullet on top of...
tempura wrote:
Have you tried that, Swatdoc?
I'd be interested to hear how that works out.
I've used mine that way with my Atlas brace and it works really well
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
11/8/2017 4:32am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 4:33am
They work well. I’ve had one (I assume one of the first models made) since 2008 and it still holds air. Photo from back then, and it worked just fine with a Leatt.

peelout
11/8/2017 8:29am
i think it's a great idea and a decent product. i had one for a couple years and my biggest complaint is that they're hot and restrict movement. two not great things for riding a dirt bike. i actually think they would be great for snowmobile competition or something like that.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/8/2017 8:35am
peelout wrote:
i think it's a great idea and a decent product. i had one for a couple years and my biggest complaint is that they're hot and...
i think it's a great idea and a decent product. i had one for a couple years and my biggest complaint is that they're hot and restrict movement. two not great things for riding a dirt bike. i actually think they would be great for snowmobile competition or something like that.

Best product for snowmobiling is the Tek Vest.

In Snocross it's mandatory for every rider to wear one.
peelout
11/8/2017 8:38am
peelout wrote:
i think it's a great idea and a decent product. i had one for a couple years and my biggest complaint is that they're hot and...

-MAVERICK- wrote:

i've seen those and they seem like a great product. being in Utah we do all backcountry big mountain stuff, so this is what i run. i love the chest/back protection, and of course the air-bag is a nice thing to have (though i hope i never use it)

BCA MtnPro Vest
Tracktor
11/8/2017 8:49am
The inflatable protectors have been in use for years in the equestrian eventing world. My daughter has activated hers while riding cross country more than once and it's saved her from serious injury. I'll have to take a closer look at it to see how it compares to the RXR. Hers uses a gas charged cylinder & tether cord to activate......
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/8/2017 9:14am
peelout wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

peelout wrote:
i've seen those and they seem like a great product. being in Utah we do all backcountry big mountain stuff, so this is what i run...
i've seen those and they seem like a great product. being in Utah we do all backcountry big mountain stuff, so this is what i run. i love the chest/back protection, and of course the air-bag is a nice thing to have (though i hope i never use it)

BCA MtnPro Vest
If I was doing that type of riding I'd certainly be wearing something just like that. As they say, it's better to have it and not use it than not having it and needing it.

Does the vest come with all those accessories shown or it's just to demonstrate what it can carry? I'm assuming they're for demonstrating purpose but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a vest that comes fully equipped.

Does the riding season really ever end in your part of the world or since you're so high up in elevation that someone could ride year round if they wanted to? I've seen videos of people riding sleds in t-shirts and it looks like fun.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/8/2017 9:25am
Tracktor wrote:
The inflatable protectors have been in use for years in the equestrian eventing world. My daughter has activated hers while riding cross country more than once...
The inflatable protectors have been in use for years in the equestrian eventing world. My daughter has activated hers while riding cross country more than once and it's saved her from serious injury. I'll have to take a closer look at it to see how it compares to the RXR. Hers uses a gas charged cylinder & tether cord to activate......
I know the Alpinestars one operates with two gas charged cylinders and it deploys by itself. The 2 gas charged cylinders allows it to have two full use so in racing situation it's a great thing to have. At this moment they're really expensive at around $1200 but I suppose you can't really put a price on safety.

So for the vest your daughter uses she needs to pull a tether cord in order for it to deploy? It's better than nothing but you have to be quick on the trigger so to speak for it to work properly. You have to anticipate something will be going wrong which in the case of accidents is in the blink of an eye. Not exactly the best system if you ask me. Any link to the vest she uses?

The RXR ones are always inflated so she might be better off wearing one of those than the one she's currently using. I'd definitely compare those two if I were you.
peelout
11/8/2017 9:28am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If I was doing that type of riding I'd certainly be wearing something just like that. As they say, it's better to have it and not...
If I was doing that type of riding I'd certainly be wearing something just like that. As they say, it's better to have it and not use it than not having it and needing it.

Does the vest come with all those accessories shown or it's just to demonstrate what it can carry? I'm assuming they're for demonstrating purpose but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a vest that comes fully equipped.

Does the riding season really ever end in your part of the world or since you're so high up in elevation that someone could ride year round if they wanted to? I've seen videos of people riding sleds in t-shirts and it looks like fun.
the BC Link radio and avalanche beacons are sold separately but fully integrated into the vest with their own dedicated pockets and hookup system. as for the riding, we have usually from late November until March/April. however, i bought a snow-bike kit this year so i should be able to keep riding into early May.

Post a reply to: RXR Inflatable chest protector?

The Latest