RV wouldn't do it again

walleyeguy
2/8/2018 8:41am
Ok. That's a good documentary. Pretty much explains it. I'm sure his comment was just that....a comment. If the choice was actually given I'm sure he would do it again. He probably didn't at the time realize or maybe still doesn't realize what a great life he has made and what a great life he's already had.
doghouse
2/8/2018 8:55am
Camp332 wrote:
Well, I'm sure as hell glad he did do it, because watching him was pretty freaking cool. Never forget September 23rd, 2007 at Budds Creek Bros!
Yep. I was there!
doghouse
2/8/2018 9:07am
LungButter wrote:
Some of you guys have absolutely no clue what it takes to ride and compete at that level. The guys at the top work harder than...
Some of you guys have absolutely no clue what it takes to ride and compete at that level.

The guys at the top work harder than 95% of the general population does at their job. Period. That doesn't even factor in the risk. It ain't all rosey like some of you want to fantasize it is. It's HARD WORK.

Those of you bitching and saying "try this job or that job or this for 60 hours a week" you too have a choice, do something to change your situation so you don't have to do that.

FARANG wrote:
Kind of missed the point. I said "Put him on a building site for 6 months in winter, living in a 3 bedroom house with a...
Kind of missed the point.

I said "Put him on a building site for 6 months in winter, living in a 3 bedroom house with a huge mortgage, car repayments and tell him this is it for the next 20 years, he might change his mind."

I don't work on a building site and I don't have a mortgage/loan on any of my properties or vehicles, that wasn't my point at all. The point is, he is retired at 30 as a multi millionaire. To reach that point at that age, I would expect to have to work extremely hard in those early years and make sacrifices. He worked hard and he got the rewards and I totally respect that.

But to then sit back in your huge farm with your million dollar bank account and say "I wouldn't do it again" is nuts. If he didn't do it he wouldn't have what he has now. Is he seriously saying he'd rather have worked a 9-5 and be looking at another 30 years of that before retirement, so he could have avoided making those sacrifices earlier? Does he think he wouldn't have made any sacrifices had he gone that route? It would have been a bed of roses had he not rode MX and retired at 30?

I think he lacks a bit of perspective about how things might have been for him without MX, which is totally understandable because he's never lived that life.
Why is it nuts? Maybe he realizes that it wasn't worth it to him.
IWreckALot
2/8/2018 9:11am
I always got the impression that Kawi sucks the fun out of the career. Never being involved with the company, it seems like they make a strong offer with the biggest salary and then trap their riders with the small print. I do wonder if RV's perspective would have changed with a different brand. Tomac seemed to be a more fun loving dude before he signed with Kawi also. I still hope to see him over at KTM one day.

Another thing is that most of these guys have to commit to this career before they're old enough to know what else is out there. I'd be kicking my own ass if I had to decide on a career at 12 years old also. No matter what it was.

The Shop

Trudare69
2/8/2018 9:41am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 8:25am
"the grass is always greener on the other side cause it's fertilized with bullshit"
2/8/2018 10:06am
IWreckALot wrote:
I always got the impression that Kawi sucks the fun out of the career. Never being involved with the company, it seems like they make a...
I always got the impression that Kawi sucks the fun out of the career. Never being involved with the company, it seems like they make a strong offer with the biggest salary and then trap their riders with the small print. I do wonder if RV's perspective would have changed with a different brand. Tomac seemed to be a more fun loving dude before he signed with Kawi also. I still hope to see him over at KTM one day.

Another thing is that most of these guys have to commit to this career before they're old enough to know what else is out there. I'd be kicking my own ass if I had to decide on a career at 12 years old also. No matter what it was.
Please do explain this fine print you speak of? Sounds like a bunch of bull shit to me. Doubt you'll ever see Eli on KTM. I sure hope not.
NorCal 50+
2/8/2018 10:23am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 10:24am
There's an old saying that I used to hear which is.... If you don't understand what someone is going through then "try walking a mile in...
There's an old saying that I used to hear which is....
If you don't understand what someone is going through then "try walking a mile in their shoes".
I've seen and heard enough regarding RV and his career to grasp why he would make such a statement. So the only thing that I really have to say about it is... I understand.
The best thing about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes"" is you'll have new shoes and you'll be a mile away from their owner.

Do any of REALLY know what our lives will be like when we embark on a career? Maybe being a pro motocrosser sucks, most of us on here don't really know. I know that even riding for fun, there are times when it doesn't seem very fun.
Polski934
2/8/2018 11:33am
captmoto wrote:
No social life. You lay adult expectation on kids at 5-6 years years old and they miss out on goofy things like team sports and all...
No social life. You lay adult expectation on kids at 5-6 years years old and they miss out on goofy things like team sports and all that socialization that goes on with it, high school prom, your first beater car, parties, camping trips, travel that doesn't involve bikes. Sure he's traveled the world but do you think he ever spent any real time in any of those cities he has been to? My son has been to Europe, Aus/NZ as a musician and most of what he has seen was from a bus. It goes from fun to pressure, pressure, pressure. I think going out on his ass has a lot to do with it too.
+1000, )(aybe not in RV's case but many others) Then if they are good they are putting 6 figure salaries in the hands of 16-20 yr olds and wonder why some end up rebelling, partying, drugs, etc....
2/8/2018 11:34am
Just finished an autobiography on Andre Agassi. He hated tennis from the time he was a little boy, but his dad pressured him the entire time he was a little boy. 9th grade dropout, but that was ok because he was playing tennis.

JM485
2/8/2018 12:40pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I always got the impression that Kawi sucks the fun out of the career. Never being involved with the company, it seems like they make a...

Please do explain this fine print you speak of? Sounds like a bunch of bull shit to me. Doubt you'll ever see Eli on KTM. I...
Please do explain this fine print you speak of? Sounds like a bunch of bull shit to me. Doubt you'll ever see Eli on KTM. I sure hope not.
I mean just take a look at the guys who have ridden for them over the years, I don’t think it takes much to see that most of them look miserable. Obviously we’ll never know why exactly that is, but take a look at the vibe you get from team Honda, then look at the vibe you get from the Kawi team. If you don’t see a little bit of a difference there you’re either blind or slightly dilusional, something is up with their program that just sucks the soul out of guys.
make1go
2/8/2018 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 1:10pm
KB221 wrote:
I'm not talking about starring in other sports, some people make millions of dollars every year with only a high school education in many other industries...
I'm not talking about starring in other sports, some people make millions of dollars every year with only a high school education in many other industries.

I don't need to give you a break but I will try to make you understand. What RV said is, I would do something else, RV would have made millions at real estate or development or trucking or whatever else he may have done and had a normal relationship with his family. He would rather that, looking back.

This is only my opinion.
You didnt actually write " make me understand" did you? Hahaha thats funny..
RV had a great talent that he was fortunate enough to be able to exploit and is set for life, his family troubles may still have occured if all he was able to achieve was laying bricks. Making up fantasy situations about how things may have turned out are just that fantasy, no one but no one knows hows life will go, but i bet his children are happier he wasnt a bricklayer..oh btw i turned my back on a possible pro mx career and became a rockstar..but thats off topic and it really pisses people off..
Phantom 661
2/8/2018 4:56pm
There's an old saying that I used to hear which is.... If you don't understand what someone is going through then "try walking a mile in...
There's an old saying that I used to hear which is....
If you don't understand what someone is going through then "try walking a mile in their shoes".
I've seen and heard enough regarding RV and his career to grasp why he would make such a statement. So the only thing that I really have to say about it is... I understand.
NorCal 50+ wrote:
The best thing about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes"" is you'll have new shoes and you'll be a mile away from their owner. Do...
The best thing about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes"" is you'll have new shoes and you'll be a mile away from their owner.

Do any of REALLY know what our lives will be like when we embark on a career? Maybe being a pro motocrosser sucks, most of us on here don't really know. I know that even riding for fun, there are times when it doesn't seem very fun.
If the shoe is two sizes too small you may not have made it a full mile. Laughing

Yes, being a pro motocrosser can suck for various reasons. Can you picture Dungey being obligated to race another three years with no real desire to line up? It happens to some.
BikerScars
2/8/2018 6:51pm
I don't blame him at all.
Racing bikes is no fun, if that level of pressure on the shoulders of a young kid. The father bet the entire family on RV. That is total BS. Child abuse.

Fourth_Floor
2/9/2018 7:37am
I get what he's saying. Look at how hard he worked, the strain it put on his relationships with family, the strain he put on his body and there are people making just as much money, if not more, posting stupid Youtube videos in the comfort of their own home.
rikhek
2/9/2018 9:41am
Very, very, very tough way to make a living. Racing sports cars on a part time, semi professional level gets tiring and old. I think being a pro MX rider would suck. MX is my favorite past time but to do it daily would get old very fast. Too much pain and work for pretty minimal compensation for most pros. Few know just how much effort is required and it's a grind.

Doing it full time as a job would take all the fun out of it. Too much like work, no, wait a minute, it would be work.

Post a reply to: RV wouldn't do it again

The Latest