RV.it is what it is..

4/20/2015 10:03am
His dad Willie raced the GP circuit for years as a privateer and Shaun has been doing the same for much of his career. Got nothing...
His dad Willie raced the GP circuit for years as a privateer and Shaun has been doing the same for much of his career. Got nothing handed to him and has quietly made his way to become a GP winner with good ol' hard work. He's also one of the most friendly, down to earth guys you will ever talk to. When I was much younger we were watching him race locally and managed to catch him walking past. Instead of just signing something and walking on him and his dad came underneath our awning, chatted with us for a quite a while and gave us a few signed posters. When I compare that to my experience of trying to get an autograph from Searle while he looked like he wanted to be a million miles away, yes I'm a fan.
I have to meet him first. But sounds good to me Smile
HenryA
4/20/2015 1:23pm
His dad Willie raced the GP circuit for years as a privateer and Shaun has been doing the same for much of his career. Got nothing...
His dad Willie raced the GP circuit for years as a privateer and Shaun has been doing the same for much of his career. Got nothing handed to him and has quietly made his way to become a GP winner with good ol' hard work. He's also one of the most friendly, down to earth guys you will ever talk to. When I was much younger we were watching him race locally and managed to catch him walking past. Instead of just signing something and walking on him and his dad came underneath our awning, chatted with us for a quite a while and gave us a few signed posters. When I compare that to my experience of trying to get an autograph from Searle while he looked like he wanted to be a million miles away, yes I'm a fan.
Ugggh, I'm not surprised about your experience with Searle, I swear that the guy wakes up now and then and believes he is Lewis Hamilton. Pinch
RY4N37
4/20/2015 2:05pm
HenryA wrote:
Ugggh, I'm not surprised about your experience with Searle, I swear that the guy wakes up now and then and believes he is Lewis Hamilton. Pinch
I think Searle is a good guy. He can come across as kind of mardy with fans sometimes, but you can tell by his performances at MXdN's and British GP's that the British fans mean a lot to him. I think a lot of his attitude has come from having Jamie Dobb as his manager. He's made him more focused, maybe not as easy to talk to
Robgvx
4/20/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2015 2:51pm
Tell me he´s story and i reconsider Wink .
Shaun's dad Willie, and what I wrote after Shaun's GP win

This is one of my favourite photos of all time, of Scottish rider Willie Simpson, father of Shaun.
Willie Simpson was a GP legend. Never blessed with outstanding ability, Willie made up for it with dogged determination and a never-give-up attitude. Willie was always there, plugging away, scoring regular points and occasionally breaking the top ten.
He raced GPs for what seemed like an eternity, and with his wife Vanda they drove all round Europe, away for weeks at a time living in their Fiat 60-10 panel van.
For the Simpsons, hailing from Fife in Scotland meant an 8 hour drive just to get to Dover, the gateway to mainland Europe. As such, for them, it wasn't worth going back home very often, so they’d spend weeks away, living like Gypsies, and being totally self-sufficient.
Willie had no mechanic, and so Vanda would help drive, clean his gear, cook and help Willie work on the bike. She even helped fix the van when the gearbox blew.
With no mechanic can you imagine how tough it is to race 45 minutes in sweltering heat, then have to immediately start cleaning and prepping your bike for the second moto? The photo just sums up Willie’s dedication.
Willie never got much support, but made a decent living from prize money (remember that?) and start money at French Internationals.
Racing GPs together for several years we became good friends with the Simpson family. Willie and Vanda are great people and would do anything for you. In their last couple of years racing GPs they had given birth to Shaun and he went to all the races too. He would ride around the pits on his little bicycle.
As Shaun grew and started racing himself the Simpsons once again took off on on the GP trail. For the family that had sacrificed so much during Willie's career it had started all over again.
I can't imagine a better motocross father. Willie had been there and done it. A true no-nonsense, down-to-earth working man's hero who would keep Shaun's feet firmly on the ground and instil in him the true value of hard work and determination.
To see Shaun's victory yesterday literally brought a tear to me eye. Everyone, from all countries and teams were cheering for him to win. Shaun is a privateer, who earns a pittance.
35 years, I would guess, is what the Simpson family has devoted to GPs. All that effort, all that work, all that sacrifice and all that pain finally became worth it yesterday.
Willie, Vanda and Shaun, I'm so proud of you .

The Shop

RY4N37
4/20/2015 3:29pm
Robgvx wrote:
Shaun's dad Willie, and what I wrote after Shaun's GP win [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/04/20/88167/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [quote]This is one of my favourite photos of all time, of Scottish rider Willie...
Shaun's dad Willie, and what I wrote after Shaun's GP win

This is one of my favourite photos of all time, of Scottish rider Willie Simpson, father of Shaun.
Willie Simpson was a GP legend. Never blessed with outstanding ability, Willie made up for it with dogged determination and a never-give-up attitude. Willie was always there, plugging away, scoring regular points and occasionally breaking the top ten.
He raced GPs for what seemed like an eternity, and with his wife Vanda they drove all round Europe, away for weeks at a time living in their Fiat 60-10 panel van.
For the Simpsons, hailing from Fife in Scotland meant an 8 hour drive just to get to Dover, the gateway to mainland Europe. As such, for them, it wasn't worth going back home very often, so they’d spend weeks away, living like Gypsies, and being totally self-sufficient.
Willie had no mechanic, and so Vanda would help drive, clean his gear, cook and help Willie work on the bike. She even helped fix the van when the gearbox blew.
With no mechanic can you imagine how tough it is to race 45 minutes in sweltering heat, then have to immediately start cleaning and prepping your bike for the second moto? The photo just sums up Willie’s dedication.
Willie never got much support, but made a decent living from prize money (remember that?) and start money at French Internationals.
Racing GPs together for several years we became good friends with the Simpson family. Willie and Vanda are great people and would do anything for you. In their last couple of years racing GPs they had given birth to Shaun and he went to all the races too. He would ride around the pits on his little bicycle.
As Shaun grew and started racing himself the Simpsons once again took off on on the GP trail. For the family that had sacrificed so much during Willie's career it had started all over again.
I can't imagine a better motocross father. Willie had been there and done it. A true no-nonsense, down-to-earth working man's hero who would keep Shaun's feet firmly on the ground and instil in him the true value of hard work and determination.
To see Shaun's victory yesterday literally brought a tear to me eye. Everyone, from all countries and teams were cheering for him to win. Shaun is a privateer, who earns a pittance.
35 years, I would guess, is what the Simpson family has devoted to GPs. All that effort, all that work, all that sacrifice and all that pain finally became worth it yesterday.
Willie, Vanda and Shaun, I'm so proud of you .
Great words Rob. I was there at Lierop on that day that Simpson won the GP, and I definitely had lump in my throat stood at the podium ceremonies. What a heroic ride, no-one deserves more than he does. The whole Simpson family oppitomises what Motocross is all about in my opinion
philG
4/20/2015 4:26pm
Excellent GP, had everything , qualifying drama, great racing , another win for the guy nobody in the US could pick out in a lineout of 3 that included Seinfeld and Oprah..

Now that all the 'RV will win by 30 seconds ' bullshit is truly buried, we can enjoy the season , fair to say that Nagl was the man , AC didnt look comfy at all , and neither did RV , but they both had similar speed , but not enough to take it to Nagl in Moto 2.

Desalle wanted another win there, but his quali race crash put paid to that , i think salvaging what he did from the weekend was pretty good.

The Honda guys looked better , but still not good enough , and JHV was going better until he bailed off.

Febvre was all over AC and showed why i pinned him as a possible podium last week.

Have to say RV's crash was a bit dumb, but he really didnt want to give up that place to Desalle, and sometimes shit happens, at least he isnt hurt , and he will be on the line next week.

For those saying RV is getting there , no , he is there .. he might win a few races , but you have to accept that he is doing really well in a very deep field. I saw a guy that wasnt prepared to let AC get away no matter what it took, and for that , you gotta give credit .

There are still 4 guys who can win a GP that we havent seen the best of yet too.
DP71
4/20/2015 8:39pm
Hut wrote:
It took Bad Brad a decade to win the world title. That should give an idea how easy it is to adjust.
Go RV
A. DLeary wrote:
Bad Brad didn't stall his bike or loop out. I had RV as a 4th to 1st place rider as he was at the first few...
Bad Brad didn't stall his bike or loop out.

I had RV as a 4th to 1st place rider as he was at the first few rounds, but IMO as it stands now he shouldn't make the MXDN team because I don't see him beating Tomac, Dungey, or a healthy Canard.
Then again, I never gave RV the same respect I did Everts, Cairoli, JS7, RC, MC, Magoo etc because it never felt like he had the "it" that makes a dominant rider special.
RV's 5th on the all time sx win list.....
4/20/2015 9:52pm
Hut wrote:
It took Bad Brad a decade to win the world title. That should give an idea how easy it is to adjust.
Go RV
A. DLeary wrote:
Bad Brad didn't stall his bike or loop out. I had RV as a 4th to 1st place rider as he was at the first few...

I had RV as a 4th to 1st place rider as he was at the first few rounds, but IMO as it stands now he shouldn't make the MXDN team because I don't see him beating Tomac, Dungey, or a healthy Canard.
Then again, I never gave RV the same respect I did Everts, Cairoli, JS7, RC, MC, Magoo etc because it never felt like he had the "it" that makes a dominant rider special.
DP71 wrote:
How many SX entertainers have won a World Championship?
jeffro503
4/20/2015 10:33pm
A. DLeary wrote:

DP71 wrote:
The Source wrote:
How many SX entertainers have won a World Championship?
Let's reverse that question.....How many world champs have come over here to race the SX and MX series?

Answer : Quite a few.

Lot more money to be made here in both series. But to answer your question , I think anyone who is considered a contender here in the states will most likely stay here because they make quite a bit more money. I will also say that RV " was " and SX entertainer / racer and he's shown that he can run the pace at most of these tracks. He isn't to far off the pace. It's been a tough challenge for him so far though for sure.
4/21/2015 12:13am
mbha wrote:
Come on guys, RV is up to speed hanging with the fastest GP guys. He was within 4 sec in the first moto. Everybody with a...
Come on guys, RV is up to speed hanging with the fastest GP guys. He was within 4 sec in the first moto. Everybody with a fully functional brain knew that it's just not possible to go dominate on tracks that different and not feeling at home, or secure on and outside the track. he is doing better that anyone else from the US could. There is no way Roczen, Canard, Dungey or Tomac would do nearly as good, except Tomac in a rece here and there.

He needs support now and has earned more respect than any other rider in a very long time. A true champ but he will not win the MXGP title this year. I hope he gives it another shot though.
roczen did grow up racing these tracks he'd be upfront with RV no problem

Post a reply to: RV.it is what it is..

The Latest