RV doing all the right things

Titan1
9/2/2014 3:54pm
Lets not feed the GP trolls...all they are trying to do is get the Americans worked up. Don't give them the gratification.

Here is the deal...the top 5 in the AMA and the top 5 in the GP's are all about the same speed. Cairoli, Villopoto, Dungey, Desalle, Paulin, Tomac, Canard, Roczen, etc. would all have their day and would all win moto's...it doesn't matter if its an AMA series or the GP's. Arguing back and forth won't change that.

I'm both excited and sad if RV races the GP's...excited, because it will peek my interest in the GP's and I think he and Cairoli will fight tooth and nail for the title...but sad because I'd of loved to see RV win 5 SX titles in a row, and battling in the Nationals next summer.

Every year I think someone will step up and battle RV...and every year he finds more speed. Maybe Cairoli will be the same speed as him (I think Dungey is a bit off speed wise, and has to be have a perfect day-or RV crash-to beat him) and will be able to consistently push RV so we'll see what he has in the tank.

I also think RV is the type of personality that will take the travel and food and pressure of the GP experience in stride and it won't bother him. He's not a guy that seems to care about much beyond just twisting the throttle...bike set up, the track, etc. just don't seem to bother him that much (in contrast, I think Dungey would STRUGGLE in the GP's).

Anyway that's all just my opinion.
RY4N37
9/2/2014 3:54pm
I think Cairoli has that extra level he uses when he needs to. He has previously said that he will settle for second if its in...
I think Cairoli has that extra level he uses when he needs to. He has previously said that he will settle for second if its in the best interest of the championship. I don't think Cairoli would be with Roczen, Canard, Tomac, Dungey's level here every race because of heat, sprint speed, depth of the field. He can get up there a few times though. Also, If he crashes in europe he is what, 20th? 25th? And only the top 7ish are solid. Here you are 40th and the top 15-20 is solid. He could get up there a few times though.

If our riders went to Europe I think they would be in the top group winning races, not leaving them behind. At least for the first season.

Bottom line is we are comparing apples to oranges, they're different series.

It's safe to say that most top riders want to come to the US as they move up. Those who don't stay for the big contracts. Looking at the top 3 from mx2 over the years, and a few really good guys who moved up to mx1 for only a season or two, you can say that the majority of the big name prospects came over to race the best with only a few exceptions. That's what I base my theory on depth compared to depth in the GPs. The best riders generally want to race the best unless they find their money and niche in europe.

Tortelli
Chiodi
Pichon
Langston
Townley
Rattray
Pourcel
Searle
Musqin
Roczen
I agree that it would be difficult for Europeans in America, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they couldn't be running right at the front. Roczen is a European after all, and I think that Cairoli would've had the beating of him had he been able to come to the nations.

I would say that there are a lot more than 7 solid guys in the GP's. There are 13 GP winners for a start, they'll be 15 in MXGP next year, plus Villopoto, and a couple of others who are good solid riders but never managed a GP win. Don't think that because a lot of European riders have gone to America that there's no-one left over here, because that isn't the case. Roczen left to go to America, but was immediately replaced by Herlings and since then no-one has left to go to America. Except for Tonus who is going next year.

RY4N37
9/2/2014 4:03pm
Titan1 wrote:
Lets not feed the GP trolls...all they are trying to do is get the Americans worked up. Don't give them the gratification. Here is the deal...the...
Lets not feed the GP trolls...all they are trying to do is get the Americans worked up. Don't give them the gratification.

Here is the deal...the top 5 in the AMA and the top 5 in the GP's are all about the same speed. Cairoli, Villopoto, Dungey, Desalle, Paulin, Tomac, Canard, Roczen, etc. would all have their day and would all win moto's...it doesn't matter if its an AMA series or the GP's. Arguing back and forth won't change that.

I'm both excited and sad if RV races the GP's...excited, because it will peek my interest in the GP's and I think he and Cairoli will fight tooth and nail for the title...but sad because I'd of loved to see RV win 5 SX titles in a row, and battling in the Nationals next summer.

Every year I think someone will step up and battle RV...and every year he finds more speed. Maybe Cairoli will be the same speed as him (I think Dungey is a bit off speed wise, and has to be have a perfect day-or RV crash-to beat him) and will be able to consistently push RV so we'll see what he has in the tank.

I also think RV is the type of personality that will take the travel and food and pressure of the GP experience in stride and it won't bother him. He's not a guy that seems to care about much beyond just twisting the throttle...bike set up, the track, etc. just don't seem to bother him that much (in contrast, I think Dungey would STRUGGLE in the GP's).

I agree entirely with what you've just said. I think Villopoto will embrace Europe and really enjoy it and from what I've seen of Dungey he doesn't look like he enjoys it over here at all.

All I'm trying to do is make people realise that there are more to GP's than just Cairoli. There are a lot of other great riders who can win races.

Cairoli is the best in Europe, Villopoto is the best in America. We'll finally get to see who is the best in the world over 1 season. Hopefully, everyone stays healthy and at the end of it all the best man wins and then there can be no argument or excuses.

The Shop

PressPassP
9/2/2014 4:21pm
Titan1 wrote:
Lets not feed the GP trolls...all they are trying to do is get the Americans worked up. Don't give them the gratification. Here is the deal...the...

Nothing to do with trolling,some great fishermen from over there thoughSmile It's just bench racing,and as you say the top 5 in each series are great.they could all trade wins,they're going to prefer their owns series too,and I agree about Dungey,hence why I brought up the last MXdN,he went 6-7 which could easily happen in the GP's same for Paulin,he went 5-6

I always thought Alessi of all people might do ok in Europe,he's missed his window of opportunity though I'd say.RV should slot it pretty good,personally I think he'll win at the early man made fly-away tracks
RY4N37
9/2/2014 4:31pm
PressPassP wrote:
Nothing to do with trolling,some great fishermen from over there though:) It's just bench racing,and as you say the top 5 in each series are great.they...
Nothing to do with trolling,some great fishermen from over there thoughSmile It's just bench racing,and as you say the top 5 in each series are great.they could all trade wins,they're going to prefer their owns series too,and I agree about Dungey,hence why I brought up the last MXdN,he went 6-7 which could easily happen in the GP's same for Paulin,he went 5-6

I always thought Alessi of all people might do ok in Europe,he's missed his window of opportunity though I'd say.RV should slot it pretty good,personally I think he'll win at the early man made fly-away tracks
I agree with you there. Qatar will be right up his street. Wouldn't be surprised to see him heading into the European GP's with the red plate. But he'll have to work hard to keep it
Titan1
9/2/2014 5:15pm
Titan1 wrote:

PressPassP wrote:
Nothing to do with trolling,some great fishermen from over there though:) It's just bench racing,and as you say the top 5 in each series are great.they...

I don't think Dungey's issue would be speed or fitness...it would be that he seems so particular about bike set up, and the track, and to speculate, it seems logical that is he also pretty particular about his weekly routine and food etc. which would make the GP's very difficult for him.

Also, I hope that RV going to the GP's opens the door and allows other top riders at the peak of their career to AT LEAST consider it. I'm thinking Baggett, and Alessi (a few years ago, like you mentioned) guys that seem to not thrive at SX.
machine
9/2/2014 6:22pm
Wow..this sure turned into an AMA/GP shitfest in a hurry.
Bearuno
9/2/2014 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2014 9:08pm
To RV "doing all the right things"

Yes, it really appears to be the case.

One of the major things is , the seeming insistence on Tyla Ratray being his teamate. Now, I'm sure some here will read this and think I 'hate' Ratters - nothing could be further from the truth. I've followed his career since he came out of SA, into the GPs, through to the US, and now back to the GPs. He's back in the GPs, in the twilight of his career. To , unfortunately be bedeviled by injury - carrying on from much of his last few years 'luck' in the US.

Rattray knows the 'ins and outs' of surviving the GPs. I can't think of a better guide / mentor for RVs tilt at a World Championships than him. Some of you might have read the interview with Tyla, where he talks about having to move around Europe, for practice etc. Plonking yourself in Belgium, and only Belgium, is not the way to do it. It's a real MX 'hub', that many use as such, but you need to go from track to track / area to area / country to country, and be adaptable to the circumstances - weather etc. I'd say RV will have a couple of bases.

Rattray can offer so much to a bloke doing the GP circuit for the first time. Even a bloke like RV, who seems so self contained, can benefit from a bloke that's done it before. RV and Rattray, will be a formidable team.

And, if RV does a "2014 Nationals" - not compete - , well, Tyla's got a great , Factory Kawasaki ride, on full on Works bikes. Something, as much as I admire Ratters, he wouldn't have got without RVs influence. I hope Ratters can get back into the thick of it all, and avoid injury.

And, there's another Big thing for this "RV to the GPs" saga - RV has the chance, to have bikes made to his exact needs and requirements. He'll have access to Works Bikes, like he's never had before - at least in racing. That's quite a thing / temptation.

Without a doubt, a production based 'works bike' is a trick, trick thing, the likes of which but a few ever get to use, but a full on Factory SR, well, that's something else. It's up to the rider to make use of / take advantage of what a custom made Works Bike can deliver - and, there's times when they've been a marked disadvantage, with factories going off on hair brained tangents, telling riders "this is it, use it". And Kawasaki have been notable for that. But, I think, with their fearce desire to get a 450 Wotld Championships, RV will get whatever he wants. Now, that could be Factory Exotica, or he could prefer a production based weapon - CP certainly went that way when he was last in the GPs ( he had the offer of Factory Bikes being available to him, from what I read, but in testing, he preferred a production based, Works / PC bike, and stuck with that)

As I've written previously, I hope it happens - RV races the GPs. He could win, he could lose. It's Motocross, folks. But, I think he's certainly the US rider that seems the best suited to the vicissitudes of World Championshops Motocross, and I do believe he could end up winning the title.But, he's going to have to work at it - he'll be up against an entirely different field, and 'breed' of riders.
9/3/2014 1:07am
machine wrote:
Some good comments in there still, one hook did snagged me.I wonder who will be training with RV?
Over here the high profile style trainer regime isn't such a done thing.I guess the logistics in the US is more clockwork,one day races,and all on Saturdays,back training same day each week possibly
Bearuno
9/3/2014 1:34am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 1:37am
machine wrote:
Some good comments in there still, one hook did snagged me.I wonder who will be training with RV? Over here the high profile style trainer regime...
Some good comments in there still, one hook did snagged me.I wonder who will be training with RV?
Over here the high profile style trainer regime isn't such a done thing.I guess the logistics in the US is more clockwork,one day races,and all on Saturdays,back training same day each week possibly
I'd say RV has learnt a hell of a lot about his fitness needs, over so many years, and the last few years being with Aldon Baker.

So, I don't think training will be a problem for him. He may well hook up with Rattray with his fitness regime, as well. The partnership with Rattray brings so much to the table, I reckon.

Then you see his wife, that amongst all of the nasty crap I've read about her being so skinny, obviously is a bit of a fitness fanatic - with her, I don't think he'll have a bad diet (by the way - good food / produce in Europe - not a problem, at all), and will have a good fitness training partner. She's a runner? - well, if he does a Bus . RV, Camper Van set up to many races, he's not got a 'sit on her arse, and concentrate on looking like a trophy wife' lady on his hands.

There are plenty of great trainers in Europe, that RV can hook up with, with Moto specific programs / experience , if RV wants a 'controller', They perhaps just don't have the hype (much deserved) that Aldon Baker has.

You never hear much about Cairolis training regime, other than he is superfit. Either a recent Dirt Bike Rider, or Moto issue, had an interview with him. He said he'd never had a 'trainer' as such, but knew his bodies requirements. But he did monitor his health through medical checks and testing, to limit overtraining. . It works for him - I liked his comment about being flexible in training, not obsessive - he said something along the lines of, he didn't stress about going for a run, at say 9am / 10.30 etc on the dot , he would fit one in at 4 /4.30 if he felt like it. And, he emphasized riding, as the key fitness regime for him.
9/3/2014 2:37am
so- after all this drama...

when is the impending press release?!

not even seen any official confirmation yet that this is definitely happening!!!!
RY4N37
9/3/2014 3:37am
so- after all this drama...

when is the impending press release?!

not even seen any official confirmation yet that this is definitely happening!!!!
There was an interview with Steve Gutteridge (boss of Kawasaki Europe I believe) released around Friday of last week, that seemed to suggest that the deal was at the stage of just dotting the I's and crossing the T's and that there would be an announcement in the next 7-10 days. So make of that what you will
machine
9/3/2014 4:17am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 4:18am
machine wrote:
Some good comments in there still, one hook did snagged me.I wonder who will be training with RV? Over here the high profile style trainer regime...
To add to Bearuno's excellent post, my guess would be Rattray for that as well. He himself has been known to be an animal when it comes to training. Another perfect example that Rv is doing things right to give himself the best odds of winning over there.
bama205
9/3/2014 3:24pm
RY4N37 wrote:
We're not talking about the past. We're talking about now and next season. This season a European won the American championship, in the 250 class you've...
We're not talking about the past. We're talking about now and next season. This season a European won the American championship, in the 250 class you've had Europeans winning overalls and races. Dominate your own championship before you talk about coming and dominating ours. That's all I'm saying
Nice try, loser!
bama205
9/3/2014 3:25pm
Bearuno wrote:
To RV "doing all the right things" Yes, it really appears to be the case. One of the major things is , the seeming insistence on...
To RV "doing all the right things"

Yes, it really appears to be the case.

One of the major things is , the seeming insistence on Tyla Ratray being his teamate. Now, I'm sure some here will read this and think I 'hate' Ratters - nothing could be further from the truth. I've followed his career since he came out of SA, into the GPs, through to the US, and now back to the GPs. He's back in the GPs, in the twilight of his career. To , unfortunately be bedeviled by injury - carrying on from much of his last few years 'luck' in the US.

Rattray knows the 'ins and outs' of surviving the GPs. I can't think of a better guide / mentor for RVs tilt at a World Championships than him. Some of you might have read the interview with Tyla, where he talks about having to move around Europe, for practice etc. Plonking yourself in Belgium, and only Belgium, is not the way to do it. It's a real MX 'hub', that many use as such, but you need to go from track to track / area to area / country to country, and be adaptable to the circumstances - weather etc. I'd say RV will have a couple of bases.

Rattray can offer so much to a bloke doing the GP circuit for the first time. Even a bloke like RV, who seems so self contained, can benefit from a bloke that's done it before. RV and Rattray, will be a formidable team.

And, if RV does a "2014 Nationals" - not compete - , well, Tyla's got a great , Factory Kawasaki ride, on full on Works bikes. Something, as much as I admire Ratters, he wouldn't have got without RVs influence. I hope Ratters can get back into the thick of it all, and avoid injury.

And, there's another Big thing for this "RV to the GPs" saga - RV has the chance, to have bikes made to his exact needs and requirements. He'll have access to Works Bikes, like he's never had before - at least in racing. That's quite a thing / temptation.

Without a doubt, a production based 'works bike' is a trick, trick thing, the likes of which but a few ever get to use, but a full on Factory SR, well, that's something else. It's up to the rider to make use of / take advantage of what a custom made Works Bike can deliver - and, there's times when they've been a marked disadvantage, with factories going off on hair brained tangents, telling riders "this is it, use it". And Kawasaki have been notable for that. But, I think, with their fearce desire to get a 450 Wotld Championships, RV will get whatever he wants. Now, that could be Factory Exotica, or he could prefer a production based weapon - CP certainly went that way when he was last in the GPs ( he had the offer of Factory Bikes being available to him, from what I read, but in testing, he preferred a production based, Works / PC bike, and stuck with that)

As I've written previously, I hope it happens - RV races the GPs. He could win, he could lose. It's Motocross, folks. But, I think he's certainly the US rider that seems the best suited to the vicissitudes of World Championshops Motocross, and I do believe he could end up winning the title.But, he's going to have to work at it - he'll be up against an entirely different field, and 'breed' of riders.
When has RV not worked. Why is everyone assuming he's just chillaxin
9/3/2014 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2014 9:10pm
JT, on the Moto 60 Show, said that he asked Chad how he thought RV would do. He wanted to get someone else's perspective. Chad said that if it is the 100% RV that we have seen the last few years, his intensity early in the motos will be too much for those guys to handle. By the time they figure out what is going on...RV will be gone. I would say that Chad knows what he is talking about. I just don't think those guys can handle aggro RV. Sand tracks..sure...AC will have it. But otherwise...RV. In 8 months we will know.

It is all dependent on how serious RV takes it.
9/3/2014 10:52pm
JT, on the Moto 60 Show, said that he asked Chad how he thought RV would do. He wanted to get someone else's perspective. Chad said...
JT, on the Moto 60 Show, said that he asked Chad how he thought RV would do. He wanted to get someone else's perspective. Chad said that if it is the 100% RV that we have seen the last few years, his intensity early in the motos will be too much for those guys to handle. By the time they figure out what is going on...RV will be gone. I would say that Chad knows what he is talking about. I just don't think those guys can handle aggro RV. Sand tracks..sure...AC will have it. But otherwise...RV. In 8 months we will know.

If RV shows up, he will be there to win. He's proved he has dedication and maybe a new challenge (a world title) will give him even more motivation. Of course RV is not stupid, he's not going there and thinking it will be a cakewalk.
9/4/2014 3:06am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 3:07am
Great to hear chads point of view but it's no more valid than mine or anybody else that watches the GP's

It's a long time since he was in the series.

I'm sick of hearing that the US riders go out harder, if its so true then why don't we see that in the mxdn?

I hope it's the fit and fast Villopoto that shows up, he is a beast no doubt, he is, however, not alone in his capabilities and it's about time this argument got shut the fuck up.
steed 2.0
9/4/2014 3:33am
Great to hear chads point of view but it's no more valid than mine or anybody else that watches the GP's It's a long time since...
Great to hear chads point of view but it's no more valid than mine or anybody else that watches the GP's

I'm sick of hearing that the US riders go out harder, if its so true then why don't we see that in the mxdn?

I hope it's the fit and fast Villopoto that shows up, he is a beast no doubt, he is, however, not alone in his capabilities and it's about time this argument got shut the fuck up.
"I'm sick of hearing that the US riders go out harder" you're not the only one http://issuu.com/mxvice/docs/mx_vice_magazine_-_issue_5/75?e=11162647/9…
9/4/2014 3:37am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 3:41am
Great to hear chads point of view but it's no more valid than mine or anybody else that watches the GP's It's a long time since...

exactly! its 14 years since reed was racing gps.....

also i would like to point out that cairoli has had the measure of reed (the year he was ama champ- 09) , dungey 12 and 13 at the des nations..

if what reed was saying was true, then the ama champ would walk all over all the gp riders every time they meet at the mxdn (or clear off at the start of the races) - we've seen that not to be the case

it will be interesting to see how it unfolds- i am convinced that its not only cairoli that rv will have to worry about next year. I think next year will be the year we see paulin and desalle mount serious title challenges aswel, add JVH and searle to that mix and you have a very interesting championship! there will be more than 2 race winners next year- all these guys will be running a similar pace (de dyker and simpson will be up there too in the sand races)

i'm definitely going to make the effort to get to more gp's next season- its going to be awesome for us fans! its a real shame theres no lierop or valkenswaard gps as they are 2 of my favourites to go to, but there are plenty of others that i have always wanted to visit too! (the italian and french rounds will be really good, and the spanish round!)
RY4N37
9/4/2014 3:41am
JT, on the Moto 60 Show, said that he asked Chad how he thought RV would do. He wanted to get someone else's perspective. Chad said...

I can see why people would think that the AMA riders start quicker, because it has happened before. But I think now that the GP riders have had a season where the races have been reduced to 30+2 and 1 less practice session, that won't be an issue. We haven't seen an American get a good start and check out at the nation's for a few years now anyway. I don't think it will be a massive problem for GP riders starting quickly
RY4N37
9/4/2014 3:57am
exactly! its 14 years since reed was racing gps..... also i would like to point out that cairoli has had the measure of reed (the year...
exactly! its 14 years since reed was racing gps.....

also i would like to point out that cairoli has had the measure of reed (the year he was ama champ- 09) , dungey 12 and 13 at the des nations..

if what reed was saying was true, then the ama champ would walk all over all the gp riders every time they meet at the mxdn (or clear off at the start of the races) - we've seen that not to be the case

it will be interesting to see how it unfolds- i am convinced that its not only cairoli that rv will have to worry about next year. I think next year will be the year we see paulin and desalle mount serious title challenges aswel, add JVH and searle to that mix and you have a very interesting championship! there will be more than 2 race winners next year- all these guys will be running a similar pace (de dyker and simpson will be up there too in the sand races)

i'm definitely going to make the effort to get to more gp's next season- its going to be awesome for us fans! its a real shame theres no lierop or valkenswaard gps as they are 2 of my favourites to go to, but there are plenty of others that i have always wanted to visit too! (the italian and french rounds will be really good, and the spanish round!)
I think you also have to take into account the improvements all the contenders have made since the last time Reed raced in Europe in 2011.

Paulin was still fairly new on a 450, Searle was having his first ever ride on a 450, Desalle was injured, Herlings was still a kid, JVH wasn't there either but was still in MX2. So that wouldn't really be an accurate reflection on how good they are now
9/4/2014 4:51am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 4:52am
Some very good points here.
And separately

Steed thanks for the link
9/4/2014 7:11am

RY4N37 wrote:
I can see why people would think that the AMA riders start quicker, because it has happened before. But I think now that the GP riders...
I can see why people would think that the AMA riders start quicker, because it has happened before. But I think now that the GP riders have had a season where the races have been reduced to 30+2 and 1 less practice session, that won't be an issue. We haven't seen an American get a good start and check out at the nation's for a few years now anyway. I don't think it will be a massive problem for GP riders starting quickly
MXDN isn't the reason why people think that AMA riders sprint the first few laps then settle in, as opposed to just working up to a fast pace like in europe. It comes from riders who have raced both and talking about adapting to ama style.

Not saying it means AMA racing is better, its just different than what they're used to.
9/4/2014 7:48am
It's pretty sad when you have to just ignore almost everyone who has "GBR" under their screen name. Don't worry, I don't let the actions of a few internet trolls ruin an entire country's reputation.
RY4N37
9/4/2014 7:53am
MXDN isn't the reason why people think that AMA riders sprint the first few laps then settle in, as opposed to just working up to a...
MXDN isn't the reason why people think that AMA riders sprint the first few laps then settle in, as opposed to just working up to a fast pace like in europe. It comes from riders who have raced both and talking about adapting to ama style.

Not saying it means AMA racing is better, its just different than what they're used to.
Point taken. But everyone who raced GP's then went to America, raced the longer GP format. I think the style has changed in Europe over the last couple of seasons.
9/4/2014 7:55am
It's pretty sad when you have to just ignore almost everyone who has "GBR" under their screen name. Don't worry, I don't let the actions of...
It's pretty sad when you have to just ignore almost everyone who has "GBR" under their screen name. Don't worry, I don't let the actions of a few internet trolls ruin an entire country's reputation.
ignorance is bliss....

Post a reply to: RV doing all the right things

The Latest