RV and his real place in the books....

5/4/2014 8:56am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 9:58am
I feel RV is one of the top 2 greatest ever. The reason.....his competition.....I hold Ricky in the number on e spot but I am unsure TBH.Ricky was unquestionably the most winning rider overall and outdoors he was a beast but I don't think he dealt with the level of competition RV has. Ricky was a beast and worked hard for everything but he got a jump start on everyone with his training. His competition wasn't training like RVs comp trains.......ricky beat a lot more talent than athletes. I believe RV beat talent and athletes. MC is the same.....he won and is indisputable as far as sx wins go but who did he really beat? He had years where he could rack u wins with no competition the whole time besides Emig and Lusk.RVs whole career has revolved around him smoking elite talent and elite athletes at the same time.I think his run at the 07 MXDN was the best ride ever by anyone anywhere.....Ricky beat Stewart but Stewart beat himself.....James wasn't training like he has recently. He was all balls but win or crash. I think the James RV is racing is on another level.......ah.....I'm gonna catch schist for this one but here goes.......
|
zook11
5/4/2014 9:14am
One thing is for sure he will always be known as the best of the current generation of riders. Numbers don't lie.
jeffro503
5/4/2014 9:17am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 10:10am
MC is easily #1.

I think RV , RC and James are really close for a 2nd because of the amount of championships and being 2nd in the wins dept.

Reed I think should be forth because of two wins and 43 wins? Not sure if that's the right number.

I did get a chuckle out of when the announcer said " And RV has the same amount of championships as Stewart and Reed combined "

A little harsh.....but true.
Mikkis
5/4/2014 9:57am
Mc 7c 72w
Rc 5c 48w
Rv 4c 41w
Js 2c 50w
Cr 2c 43w

For me, its pretty clear.
BUTCH
5/4/2014 10:09am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 10:14am
I think the "RV faced stiffer comp" is over blown.....really has he? I don't think so! Catching Reed on the down side...Bubba on the down side, while RC beat those guys in their prime!....Combined Nats and SX... RC stands head and shoulders above RV and everyone else. How quickly the memory starts to fade, RC killed it, on his way to something like 16 championships and never being beat for a title outdoors. 2 perfect seasons and one undefeated season on big bikes! NFM ! The main problem with you argument is mentioning the record books, when it comes to comparing him to RC ...the books show wins and championships all the other stuff doesn't matter really!

The Shop

zippy895
5/4/2014 10:14am
are we talking total championships here or fan perspective of most flashy,fast,most exciting racer with a bunch of inconsistent individual wins totals.just asking.
zippy895
5/4/2014 10:15am
Mikkis wrote:
Mc 7c 72w
Rc 5c 48w
Rv 4c 41w
Js 2c 50w
Cr 2c 43w

^my thoughts exactly ^
Uncleof2
5/4/2014 10:23am
I think to be fair to RV, CR, and JS we need to wait until there careers are over. Right now I would say RC is number #1 and it
will be up to interpretation for the next 4 slots with Mr. Hannah be thrown into the mix. In my opinion. MC is the King of SX,
Hank_Thrill
5/4/2014 10:25am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 10:27am
We will have to wait to see how it all plays out, but I would tie him second overall in supercross with RC right now, despite being 1 title short and down 7 wins. It took RC 8 full seasons (62%)and RV has just completed 6 (.66%) RV's titles were also won with a significantly less advantage over the competition compared to RC, since the field is stacked, talent is high, and guys are running more similar lap times.
Big Lenny
5/4/2014 10:35am
Uncleof2 wrote:
I think to be fair to RV, CR, and JS we need to wait until there careers are over. Right now I would say RC is...
I think to be fair to RV, CR, and JS we need to wait until there careers are over. Right now I would say RC is number #1 and it
will be up to interpretation for the next 4 slots with Mr. Hannah be thrown into the mix. In my opinion. MC is the King of SX,
Who is this guy?...Shocked
5/4/2014 10:39am
Mikkis wrote:
Mc 7c 72w
Rc 5c 48w
Rv 4c 41w
Js 2c 50w
Cr 2c 43w

Was including outdoors too. If it's a numbers game then sure, Ricky has it but factor in a level playing field as far as talent/athleticism is concerned this is where I put RV over the others. Besides a couple of good battles who really challenged RC or MC? Bubba is on the downside? I think he is riding at his absolute best right now. He wasn't racing the level of competition as he is now with the exception of Ricky way back when.I think people are having a hard time factoring the training level in that you see now a days. Almost no one in RC and MCs days had a personal trainer....
BUTCH
5/4/2014 10:40am
If you had to count on any rider to get you a win for a million dollars when they were in there prime...I'd take RC anyday!
5/4/2014 10:40am
BUTCH wrote:
I think the "RV faced stiffer comp" is over blown.....really has he? I don't think so! Catching Reed on the down side...Bubba on the down side...
I think the "RV faced stiffer comp" is over blown.....really has he? I don't think so! Catching Reed on the down side...Bubba on the down side, while RC beat those guys in their prime!....Combined Nats and SX... RC stands head and shoulders above RV and everyone else. How quickly the memory starts to fade, RC killed it, on his way to something like 16 championships and never being beat for a title outdoors. 2 perfect seasons and one undefeated season on big bikes! NFM ! The main problem with you argument is mentioning the record books, when it comes to comparing him to RC ...the books show wins and championships all the other stuff doesn't matter really!
Reed and Bubba on the downside or riding at their best ever? Less wins doesn't mean they are going downhill, it just shows the level of competition putting a abash on their display of talent.
5/4/2014 10:43am
BUTCH wrote:
If you had to count on any rider to get you a win for a million dollars when they were in there prime...I'd take RC anyday!
Even that day at Budds Creek in 2007? Even that day at Washougal in 06? And for the record.....I was a Ward fan, then a JMB fan, then an Emig fan, then an RC fan and have since been an RV fan. I like James and MC but I feel they ran off talent more than hard work. I always liked the ones putting in the hard work.
BUTCH
5/4/2014 10:43am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 10:44am
BUTCH wrote:
I think the "RV faced stiffer comp" is over blown.....really has he? I don't think so! Catching Reed on the down side...Bubba on the down side...
Reed and Bubba on the downside or riding at their best ever? Less wins doesn't mean they are going downhill, it just shows the level of...
Reed and Bubba on the downside or riding at their best ever? Less wins doesn't mean they are going downhill, it just shows the level of competition putting a abash on their display of talent.
No way Reed or Bubba are what they once were! Come on man, those to have been around for ever with shit ton of injuries on there resume!
rebus
5/4/2014 10:47am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 10:54am
BUTCH wrote:
Reed and Bubba on the downside or riding at their best ever? Less wins doesn't mean they are going downhill, it just shows the level of...
You need to come up fro some air and give RV's balls a rest so he can train for the outdoors. You can't really compare eras since there are too many variables at play. You could reasonably argue that RV has faced the stiffest competition, but it does not follow from that that RV would be winning if you could match up all the best riders in their prime. If McGrath were racing today, he'd likely have a trainer so he'd be that much better. Could you really count out a determined Ricky Johnson? There's no guarantee RV would be beating the Johnson's, McGrath's, RC or Stewart's in their prime because those riders --aside from Stewart -- if they were racing today in their primes, would likely be doing exactly what RV is doing now with his fitness and training.
sclark309d
Fantasy
2036th
5/4/2014 10:55am
"" And RV has the same amount of championships as Stewart and Reed combined "

A little harsh.....but true."

I think that chapped Reedy a little bit.
Big Lenny
5/4/2014 10:57am
BUTCH wrote:
Even that day at Budds Creek in 2007? Even that day at Washougal in 06? And for the record.....I was a Ward fan, then a JMB...
Even that day at Budds Creek in 2007? Even that day at Washougal in 06? And for the record.....I was a Ward fan, then a JMB fan, then an Emig fan, then an RC fan and have since been an RV fan. I like James and MC but I feel they ran off talent more than hard work. I always liked the ones putting in the hard work.
Unbelievable now Cats are doubting RC, James, MC's and Chad's comp because RV's winning when it only seems to me that James was RV's "only" comp this whole season, who else was even winning?...Oh. that's right nobody...
rebus
5/4/2014 10:59am
BUTCH wrote:
Even that day at Budds Creek in 2007? Even that day at Washougal in 06? And for the record.....I was a Ward fan, then a JMB...
Big Lenny wrote:
Unbelievable now Cats are doubting RC, James, MC's and Chad's comp because RV's winning when it only seems to me that James was RV's [b]"only"[/b] comp...
Unbelievable now Cats are doubting RC, James, MC's and Chad's comp because RV's winning when it only seems to me that James was RV's "only" comp this whole season, who else was even winning?...Oh. that's right nobody...
Dungey and Roczen won. So did Reed.
jeffro503
5/4/2014 11:04am
BUTCH wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
Unbelievable now Cats are doubting RC, James, MC's and Chad's comp because RV's winning when it only seems to me that James was RV's [b]"only"[/b] comp...
Yeah.....this season he gave him a run. Other seasons not so much. We've seen DM18 and Reed both step up and put it to RV on certain times as well........but at the end of the season RV usually always gets the title. James got beat in the O/A points by RV and RD just like I said he would. Only this time we got a rookie that beat him and sits in 3rd.

And if " Giving him a run "....means finishing 96 friggin' points back?........I would hate to see what a bad run would be.
Big Lenny
5/4/2014 11:06am
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah.....this season he gave him a run. Other seasons not so much. We've seen DM18 and Reed both step up and put it to RV on...
Yeah.....this season he gave him a run. Other seasons not so much. We've seen DM18 and Reed both step up and put it to RV on certain times as well........but at the end of the season RV usually always gets the title. James got beat in the O/A points by RV and RD just like I said he would. Only this time we got a rookie that beat him and sits in 3rd.

And if " Giving him a run "....means finishing 96 friggin' points back?........I would hate to see what a bad run would be.
I guess you'll leave out the bike failure issues too..typical...
WeiserGuy
5/4/2014 11:21am
Supercross is easily MC #1, RC #2 & RV #3. Motocross is RC#1, RV #2 and the Hurricane at #3.

If your combining both series then it's RC #1, RV #2 and once again the Hurricane taking the bronze.
Spat24
Fantasy
1140th
5/4/2014 11:21am
Mikkis wrote:
Mc 7c 72w
Rc 5c 48w
Rv 4c 41w
Js 2c 50w
Cr 2c 43w

Was including outdoors too. If it's a numbers game then sure, Ricky has it but factor in a level playing field as far as talent/athleticism is...
Was including outdoors too. If it's a numbers game then sure, Ricky has it but factor in a level playing field as far as talent/athleticism is concerned this is where I put RV over the others. Besides a couple of good battles who really challenged RC or MC? Bubba is on the downside? I think he is riding at his absolute best right now. He wasn't racing the level of competition as he is now with the exception of Ricky way back when.I think people are having a hard time factoring the training level in that you see now a days. Almost no one in RC and MCs days had a personal trainer....
Agree with Mikkis on his list.

There were trainers back in the MC days and even before - Honda had Jeff Spencer and I remember other riders had them as well. Yes the training gets better every year - it is even more advanced now than Ricky's days. RV is awesome and if he continues to race SX he may get more wins/championships that will put him up with or hire than Ricky - only time will tell.

And for all the talent RV has beat - How many seasons has JS raced the whole season? Same with Reed - he has missed the last two due to injury. I believe RV will go down as one of the greatest SX and MX riders but he needs more time to match MC and RC.
Mikkis
5/4/2014 11:30am
Mikkis wrote:
Mc 7c 72w
Rc 5c 48w
Rv 4c 41w
Js 2c 50w
Cr 2c 43w

Was including outdoors too. If it's a numbers game then sure, Ricky has it but factor in a level playing field as far as talent/athleticism is...
Oh sorry, i thougth sx only because sx season just ended, my bad.Smile
norcal3737
5/4/2014 11:45am
Big Lenny wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah.....this season he gave him a run. Other seasons not so much. We've seen DM18 and Reed both step up and put it to RV on...

Yea lets not include his crushed header pipe at daytona or malfunctioning fork(s) last night...

Aside from A1, JS7 has ridden a solid and consistent year that had a streak of unfortunate events that were mainly outside his control. JS7 had everyone covered this year, splitting the pot with RV2.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
5/4/2014 11:55am
to me RV is 3rd in SX, behind MC and RC, with RC being in his sights if he wins again next year,

overall with MX and SX combined, its RC still a while ahead, and the fact he won 10 titles in a row will be very hard to ever catch, RV has won the MX title every year he finished the series, but having missed 3 years due to injury,
jeffro503
5/4/2014 12:12pm
Big Lenny wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

norcal3737 wrote:
Yea lets not include his crushed header pipe at daytona or malfunctioning fork(s) last night... Aside from A1, JS7 has ridden a solid and consistent year...
Yea lets not include his crushed header pipe at daytona or malfunctioning fork(s) last night...

Aside from A1, JS7 has ridden a solid and consistent year that had a streak of unfortunate events that were mainly outside his control. JS7 had everyone covered this year, splitting the pot with RV2.
Haha....ok we can play this. Who puts James in these positions? You guys act like he's the only one to have bad luck. RV was rounding the first corner in 21st place in one round after going down hard. He moved all the way back to 4th! He also missed all the days practice at one round from being in the hospital.....and managed a 6th!

It's not the cards you are dealt.....it's how and what you do with them. Chalking it up to bad luck a race or two.....you may be able to get away with it. An entire series? How about 10yrs strait? That sure seems like a lot of bad luck....LMFAO! Woohoo

Thank god RV , RC and MC never used those excuses.....of course they didn't have to.....they were to busy winning titles. Whistling
Mikkis
5/4/2014 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 12:21pm
BUTCH wrote:
I agree !

Rc had stiffest comp 2006. James was fast as hell, and reed was constant all season long. I think 2006 for Rc was hardest season what he faced.

2011 Was rv's hardest season, and 2012 was the easiest title what he had. 2013 and 2014 wasn't too hard either.

This year Stewart was only one who could beat him, but he had so many bad races. So did roczen, And dungey was slow as fuck.

So if someone says Rv had "stiffest comp"... i'd say go to hell PinchPinch
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
5/4/2014 12:23pm
jeffro503 wrote:

norcal3737 wrote:
Yea lets not include his crushed header pipe at daytona or malfunctioning fork(s) last night... Aside from A1, JS7 has ridden a solid and consistent year...

jeffro503 wrote:
Haha....ok we can play this. Who puts James in these positions? You guys act like he's the only one to have bad luck. RV was rounding...
Haha....ok we can play this. Who puts James in these positions? You guys act like he's the only one to have bad luck. RV was rounding the first corner in 21st place in one round after going down hard. He moved all the way back to 4th! He also missed all the days practice at one round from being in the hospital.....and managed a 6th!

It's not the cards you are dealt.....it's how and what you do with them. Chalking it up to bad luck a race or two.....you may be able to get away with it. An entire series? How about 10yrs strait? That sure seems like a lot of bad luck....LMFAO! Woohoo

Thank god RV , RC and MC never used those excuses.....of course they didn't have to.....they were to busy winning titles. Whistling
Wow. Yes Stewart has no titles. Some things never change.
Mikkis
5/4/2014 12:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:

norcal3737 wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Haha....ok we can play this. Who puts James in these positions? You guys act like he's the only one to have bad luck. RV was rounding...

Also smashed head pipe, or twisted knee or some fucking unbelievable luck what he had yesterday or got taken out 2 times, was only excuses...

Everyone knows how much bad luck stewart had this season, it depends do you wanna believe that. Villopoto had only 2 "bad" nights.

Angry
Bultaco
5/4/2014 1:57pm
Turbo38: "Ricky was a beast and worked hard for everything but he got a jump start on everyone with his training. "

Ricky did not really get a jump start. He was a pudgy kid on 125's. Still winning but not in shape. After finding out we was not going to win on 250s in that condition, is when he lost 40 pounds and set a new standard for training. But like you say, everyone else had to step up their fitness to keep up with RC. Except they still could not keep up. RC is the GOAT in my humble opinion.

Post a reply to: RV and his real place in the books....

The Latest