RV - Flashing Lights - The video

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 2/28/2012 6:51am
Here, make up your own minds, then you wont have to dig though a 20 page thread to find it:

|
BR_HERO
2/26/2012 1:15am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 1:17am
Shouldn't even be an issue IMO.

AMA ruled on it, it's over. On to St. Louis.
Whitey
2/26/2012 1:16am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 1:17am
If you freeze it at the 1 second mark Ryan is landing from the jump in the previous straight before he makes the corner and you can clearly see lights on, however they look yellow. So he had plenty of time to see the lights.

The Shop

dirtnapper
2/26/2012 1:17am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 1:27am
No one can say he never saw the yellow flag, the flashing orange lights beside the flagger, then the red light on the jump, as he was coming into the corner.

Its a bullshit call - RV could have slowed down.
uk125250
2/26/2012 2:07am
AMA won't do anything. Bubba did the right thing. Must have been hard seeing RV get away.
SwapperMX
2/26/2012 2:16am
If I had have done that at my local race, I would have been disqualified, even if I was in 10th. And they only use flaggies. There arent any "no jump" lights or warning lights leading up to the jump. Somehow, at the top level of racing, and you are leading the points for the championship, you can get away with it. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
2/26/2012 2:18am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 2:40am
At the speed those guys are running he had to be looking way ahead and focused through that section.
I just don't see him slowing in that section unless he seen the lights before he was committed to jumping up on that little table top (step on step off).I think that is the question. Seems like his momentum would already be flowing....and he is thinking a few steps ahead.I think that is common sense.
IMO, seeing it from the angels that they showed it, the AMA ruled right.
But ,being there it may have looked a lot different.
Definitely a tough call for them.
Would love to hear from some guys that were on the floor near there and get their point of view.
MX690
2/26/2012 2:25am
Does a waving yellow flag not mean anything? Or is it just a suggestion, when I race a waving yellow means a lot. There is no way he wouldn't have seen the waving yellow flags.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
2/26/2012 2:28am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 2:41am
MX690 wrote:
Does a waving yellow flag not mean anything? Or is it just a suggestion, when I race a waving yellow means a lot. There is no...
Does a waving yellow flag not mean anything? Or is it just a suggestion, when I race a waving yellow means a lot. There is no way he wouldn't have seen the waving yellow flags.
In AMA pro racing the yellow flags don't mean slow down,like they do at the local races.
Pretty much...just use caution.

The lights mean something...
But with all the flashes going off in the stadium often and the speed those guys are running......and trying to stay focused.
It's amazing to me that they even see them or that they religiously pay attention to them each & every lap.
It's not just for the downed riders safety,but also for the guys flying over the jumps.
jtomasik
2/26/2012 2:31am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 2:31am
If it wasn't for breaking the rules, Villo wouldn't be in the points lead.

(there is a great need for a sarcasm font)
burnside
2/26/2012 2:41am
As an RV fan, this video looks incriminating. The red light comes on while RD had just left the ground and while RV was on the brakes into the corner. That race was so tight and intense, he must have been so focused and determined. Looks like he thought "err.. na FUCK IT!" haha. I do think a lot of guys would have done the same thing though being that close and you guys are right, if it was Stewie there would be no debate!

Did anyone check out the times? I think even if he was docked 5 secs he'd still claim 2nd.
MX690
2/26/2012 2:41am
FastEddy wrote:
In AMA pro racing the yellow flags don't mean slow down,like they do at the local races. Pretty much...just use caution. The lights mean something... But...
In AMA pro racing the yellow flags don't mean slow down,like they do at the local races.

But with all the flashes going off in the stadium often and the speed those guys are running......and trying to stay focused.
It's amazing to me that they even see them or that they religiously pay attention to them each & every lap.
It's not just for the downed riders safety,but also for the guys flying over the jumps.
Ok thank you that's the answer I was looking for. Having answered my question, here is another. Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag be considered cautious? By the way I'm a Chad Reed fan so I don't really care who wins the series now, I'm just curiouse about these rules in supercross and the what if's. Like what if Rv had of landed on the guy that was down would the AMA have come up with the same out come.
burnside
2/26/2012 2:42am
jtomasik wrote:

Think DV mentioned the penalty is usually 5 secs. So if true, yes, he would still be in the points lead.
FIREfish148
2/26/2012 2:45am
The overall time difference from going triple and single, single, single from the base of the jump to the exit of the corner after the triple has got to be at least 5 seconds alone. Bubba did the right thing... I was honestly worried that he was gonna land on the guy down after seeing villo almost do it.

That definitely took some wind out of 7's sails. You could tell by the way he jus sloowwwly rolled over the finish.
tobz
2/26/2012 3:40am
burnside wrote:
Think DV mentioned the penalty is usually 5 secs. So if true, yes, he would still be in the points lead.
Exactly, result would have been the same.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
2/26/2012 3:45am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 3:47am
FastEddy wrote:
In AMA pro racing the yellow flags don't mean slow down,like they do at the local races. Pretty much...just use caution. The lights mean something... But...

MX690 wrote:
Ok thank you that's the answer I was looking for. Having answered my question, here is another. Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag...
Ok thank you that's the answer I was looking for. Having answered my question, here is another. Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag be considered cautious? By the way I'm a Chad Reed fan so I don't really care who wins the series now, I'm just curiouse about these rules in supercross and the what if's. Like what if Rv had of landed on the guy that was down would the AMA have come up with the same out come.
"Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag be considered cautious?"

It just depends on the situation and the scenario.
There has been times where guys have done it safely and other incidents where it wasn't so safe.
When a rider is going fast through a section,slowing down can make it worse on him,depending on the scenario.
He just isn't supposed to lock up the breaks when he sees the lights.
So if he is committed carrying momentum through a certain section.... sometimes it is best to stay committed.

Here is how the rule reads.

a. Warning Flags
1. Yellow Flag Or Yellow Light:
Waving Yellow Flag or Yellow Flashing Lights: Indicates serious hazard on or near the track.
Passing is allowed
Proceed with extreme caution.

"what if Rv had of landed on the guy "

As for the AMA's ruling.
I would assume they would have looked at it the same way....
Was he committed to the section? Or just the jump?
Was it safe for him to slow in that section by time he seen the lights?
What if he slowed and someone from behind landed on him?
We can do what if's all day long...
It's a hard one....and if you/we aren't out there racing the track and riding through those sections you/we really don't know if it was safe to slow or what,or really when you can see the lights.I would assume that is what the AMA was faced with and made their ruling on.
Crush
2/26/2012 3:53am
Why are you all pissing and moaning...

Didn't change the outcome of the race and it's not like the AMA could find a rule and work it anyways...

Fuckin RC/CR/JS fuel debacle of 04/05/06

KW/DV 04

Sorby/Preston 08

Peick/Faith 12

And countless others... They're a fucken shambles... move on to St Louis...
crf250pilot
2/26/2012 4:04am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 4:04am
jtomasik wrote:

burnside wrote:
Not sure about the 5 secs, but when Stroupe doubled the triple with the lights on two laps in a row at Phx a few years back, he was docked a position for each time.
jndmx
2/26/2012 4:06am
Question;

Am I the only one that thinks maybe having the flashing lights down on the level of the tuffblocks is a bad idea?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
2/26/2012 4:14am
If a 5 second penalty would not have changed the outcome, why did the AMA or whoever just penalize him, give him a 5 second penalty and a $500 fine, at least it might have made the next person who done it think twice and set a president (spelling one of many!) for the rest of the year. You jump under red you will be fined and docked X amount of time for a first offence.
MX690
2/26/2012 4:33am
FastEddy wrote:
[i]"Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag be considered cautious?"[/i] It just depends on the situation and the scenario. There has been times where...

There has been times where guys have done it safely and other incidents where it wasn't so safe.
When a rider is going fast through a section,slowing down can make it worse on him,depending on the scenario.
So if he is committed carrying momentum through a certain section.... sometimes it is best to stay committed.

a. Warning Flags
Waving Yellow Flag or Yellow Flashing Lights: Indicates serious hazard on or near the track.
Passing is allowed

As for the AMA's ruling.
It's a hard one....and if you/we aren't out there racing the track and riding through those sections you/we really don't know if it was safe to slow or what,or really when you can see the lights.I would assume that is what the AMA was faced with and made their ruling on.
Good explanation, can't argue with that (not that I was looking for an argument) thanks.
Hut
2/26/2012 4:43am
Kind of a close call, if the lights were on a bit sooner it would be a no brainer. Replaying a video taken from a distance sure it's easy to say he should have backed off and not hit the triple but he was coming into that turn when the blinkers came on so maybe he truly didn't have time to react; shouldn't matter though rules are rules...
kongols
2/26/2012 4:55am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 5:00am
FastEddy wrote:
[i]"Would jumping a triple under a waving yellow flag be considered cautious?"[/i] It just depends on the situation and the scenario. There has been times where...

a. Warning Flags
Passing is allowed

As for the AMA's ruling.
MX690 wrote:
Good explanation, can't argue with that (not that I was looking for an argument) thanks.
3. White Flag with Red Cross:
In Supercross this flag or a red flashing light may be
displayed at the beginning of a triple jump or a series of
jumps. The riders must roll each jump individually with no
passing and exercise extreme caution until they are past the
area of concern.

R-acer
2/26/2012 4:59am
He jumped on the light, plain and simple.
Had Stewart done that, this place would have burned down.......... sad but true.

Stewart was reeling RV in intil he had to roll the triple, then RV got away
CRF505
2/26/2012 5:13am
Wow.... I didn't realize it was that blatant. Those lights were definitely red!
jbomx363
2/26/2012 5:20am
There isnt a set penalty in the rulebook..amd one would also have to ask...why isn't there a set penalty? Heck..i dont see any set p penalties. Wth?

Anyway..he clearly jumped on red..it clearly cost Stewart a lot of time...so....yes..it clearly had an affect on the race. AMA blunders again.
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
2/26/2012 5:23am
The rulebook just needs to be thrown in the garbage can. If there isn't a set penalty there shouldn't be a rule. It's kinda like our justice system.
jbomx363
2/26/2012 5:24am
Since its a safety issue...he should be docked a position.
jwhitemx15
2/26/2012 5:29am
Why have the lights is the rule is not enforced? I agree with those above, just going to make for a dangerous situation moving forward. Should be docked 1 position just as Stroupe was.

What if it was for the lead? Had RD rolled it and RV jumped over him for the lead??? Could be the scenario soon.

Post a reply to: RV - Flashing Lights - The video

The Latest