RM85 Problems- Need Help!!

sral99
8/15/2019 7:32pm
I am having a few problems with my rm85

#1- it almost feels like it is running on choke in first and second gear. I believe this is due to the fact that a.) the plastic linkage on my powervalve is obliterated. b.) I believe my governor gear is also bead because whenever I pull off the powervalve cover, the rod going into the case on the gear won’t move up and down when I rev it, and feels very easy to move by hand.

#2- (building on #1) first and second gear feels very low on power. I was under the impression that an 85 two stroke would be a lot more powerful than a125 four stroke which is what I used to have. I believe this problem is also linked to #1 but I am just not sure yet. In 3, 4, 5, and 6 gear it feels perfectly fine, but in 1st and 2nd I feel like I should be able to pop a wheelie pretty easily but just can’t.

#3- (also very likely linked to #1 and 2) the throttle feels very sluggish when I turn it in about the first 1/4. When I try to flick it all the way, it seems as if it will bog out for a split second but it picks itself back up.

#4- I have a mysterious leak of coolant somewhere around my powervalve- I’m thinking it could be the o ring on the cylinder head is bad.

Other than these issues, it runs pretty well, I would say a little on the rich side because it does like to leak a bit of oil from the exhaust, but hopefully I can fix that with the clip on the needle. Keep in mind though my descriptions may not be entirely accurate because I’ve only ever had four strokes. Anyways, if there is anything you think would help, just let me know please-thanks in advance!
|
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
8/15/2019 7:36pm
Click it in second pin the throttle and dump the clutch. Report back ASAP
sral99
8/15/2019 7:47pm
So- just put it in second, go full throttle and do what with the clutch?? Just let it go and pop it like I am gonna wheelie?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
8/15/2019 8:32pm
If your PV isn't working properly power will suffer. Matter of fact, if anything mechanically isn't working properly, performance will suffer.

Get a factory manual, pull the PV apart and replace anything that looks suspect. Make sure the piston is fresh with no blowby, replace any o-rings and gaskets you run across.

Unlike a 125 four stroke playbike, the RM85 is a race machine. The upside is it's performance is much, much greater than the little thumper. The downside is that things wear out much quicker and it'll need more maintenance. Just the nature of the beast.

The Shop

Elbows
Fantasy
1385th
8/15/2019 9:05pm
Maybe TYLER will chime in shortly and get you straightened out?

Post a reply to: RM85 Problems- Need Help!!

The Latest