RM250 front axle bolt won't go in

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2020 7:02 PM

Really confused. I have literally put this thing in hundreds of times and it won't go in no matter how hard I bang it. It's lined up in the hole as far as I can tell. The only thing I can think it's pretty dry (no grease with me) but I put some WD and oil on it. Anybody ever experience this?

Photo
Photo

|

9/19/2020 7:11 PM

Actually I think I figured out why. I've been driving with it with the front wheel off (so I can put up tailgate when I pull the RV). It was resting on the form bottom and I think it compressed it enough to where the bolt won't go in. Currently trying to pry it open a bit but not having luck.

|

9/19/2020 7:33 PM

I think your problem is identified in your second sentence. You don't "bang" on the axle as hard as you can , it slides in with your fingertip when it's lined up and lubed properly. ("100s of times", of rough handling, has got you to where you are now)

|

9/19/2020 7:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2020 7:55 PM

mxracer666 wrote:

I think your problem is identified in your second sentence. You don't "bang" on the axle as hard as you can , it slides in with your fingertip when it's lined up and lubed properly. ("100s of times", of rough handling, has got you to where you are now)

Maybe that's it- I've had this bike for 16 years. She's getting beat up.
Still no dice.It will even go in from the other side but not the correct side. No blowtorch to heat it up a bit and try and pry the receiving end open a bit. I'm camping at the track tonight and don't have everything with me.

|

9/19/2020 8:50 PM

mxracer666 wrote:

I think your problem is identified in your second sentence. You don't "bang" on the axle as hard as you can , it slides in with your fingertip when it's lined up and lubed properly. ("100s of times", of rough handling, has got you to where you are now)

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Maybe that's it- I've had this bike for 16 years. She's getting beat up.
Still no dice.It will even go in from the other side but not the correct side. No blowtorch to heat it up a bit and try and pry the receiving end open a bit. I'm camping at the track tonight and don't have everything with me.

Jesus Christ dude!!! You should never need a blow torch to put a axle in bro!!!!!!! Or pry the lugs apart.. I have a 81 that has been used and abused and I can push the axle in by hand... fix the problem correctly 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

|

9/19/2020 9:14 PM

Reckon you need a bigger hammer

|

9/19/2020 9:27 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Actually I think I figured out why. I've been driving with it with the front wheel off (so I can put up tailgate when I pull the RV). It was resting on the form bottom and I think it compressed it enough to where the bolt won't go in. Currently trying to pry it open a bit but not having luck.

Photo
|

Ed Johnson

9/19/2020 9:28 PM

Dirtydeeds wrote:

Reckon you need a bigger hammer

I think he needs all his tools taken away.

|

Ed Johnson

9/19/2020 9:36 PM

On almost all these axel's there is a lip , where it transitions from the fork leg , before it goes into the wheel. If it was snagged ( Because the forks weren't inline ) and then you pounded on it a bit , you could of mushroomed / caused a lip on it a bit. Look at the axel real close. File off any burr's , and try again. Do NOT......use a blow torch!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/19/2020 9:42 PM

Hit it harder lmao

|

9/19/2020 9:53 PM

Oh man, it was lined up and pretty much in the hole when I'm hitting it- that's what's confusing. It's a plastic mallet and I'm not whaling full strength. All I'm talking about his putting some heat on the fork bottom not hacking away at the thing. Guess that's a stupid idea.
If I kept the same 2004 RM running competitively through 10+ seasons of sand tracks I must know something about working on bikes. I rebuilt this one from the frame up and I'm restoring an 82 RM- just powdercoated the frame and now putting the bottom end together. Am I clueless half the time, yeah, but I try.

|

9/19/2020 10:08 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Oh man, it was lined up and pretty much in the hole when I'm hitting it- that's what's confusing. It's a plastic mallet and I'm not whaling full strength. All I'm talking about his putting some heat on the fork bottom not hacking away at the thing. Guess that's a stupid idea.
If I kept the same 2004 RM running competitively through 10+ seasons of sand tracks I must know something about working on bikes. I rebuilt this one from the frame up and I'm restoring an 82 RM- just powdercoated the frame and now putting the bottom end together. Am I clueless half the time, yeah, but I try.

Man , I hear ya. Out of all the bikes I've owned , my RM has refused to take the front axel a couple times. I don't know why that is. I just stayed patient , wiggled the fork legs side to side, all while lifting up and down slightly and hit a sweet spot , where it just slid right in. It should just slide right in with a few light taps of the palm of your hand. Again though , look at your axel.....really close. One little burr can make it tough.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/19/2020 10:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2020 10:24 PM

.

|

9/19/2020 10:27 PM

SEE ARE125 wrote:

.

It hasn't reached that spot yet, as you can see. It even goes in from that side if I test it out.
If the point is it got gouged at some point in 16 years of working on it- it sure did.

|

9/20/2020 1:48 AM

This guy has got to be blowing smoke. The fuck did I just read before 5 am

|

9/20/2020 5:34 AM

Take the wheel off. Slide the axle through each fork leg, spacer, and wheel separately. If it slides easily through all those parts then it's an alignment problem. Is one of the forks higher/lower in the triple clamps? Good luck.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/20/2020 5:41 AM

Process of elimination.

Check for burs

Does the axle slide through with out the wheel

Does the axle slide through the wheel

When you install the axle are you positive the big end is not catching the lug

|

9/20/2020 6:11 AM

When something like this happens to me I throw my hands up in despair, swear a bit, walk away for 3 minutes and half the time whatever it is goes together.
The other half you ask ... repeat step 1 till complete.
Don't ask me to explain it.

|

9/20/2020 7:14 AM

Inspect the spacer tube between the wheel bearings. It may have moved just enough to prevent the axle from sliding through.

|

9/20/2020 7:21 AM

Maybe put the bike on a stand?

|

9/20/2020 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2020 11:52 AM

JWACK wrote:

Maybe put the bike on a stand?

It's on a stand.
The axle will even go through the other side unless it's also going through the wheel. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Ah well, I wasn't meant to ride today. I'll keep trying. Maybe it's just not enough grease (don't have more with me).

|

9/20/2020 1:33 PM

Photo
|

I was a third-string dreamer on a second-place team~ Luke Combs

9/20/2020 1:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2020 6:25 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

It's on a stand.
The axle will even go through the other side unless it's also going through the wheel. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Ah well, I wasn't meant to ride today. I'll keep trying. Maybe it's just not enough grease (don't have more with me).

Read Mugen racers post.
"Inspect the spacer tube between the wheel bearings. It may have moved just enough to prevent the axle from sliding through"

|

Ed Johnson

9/20/2020 2:00 PM

Put some fur around it.

|

9/20/2020 7:42 PM

Take your axle tool and 'thread' it in while making sure the spacer is lined up and holding the lug straight and square. It will find its way and you don't have to be smacking shit with a hammer.
Lol Photo
Photo

|

9/21/2020 10:41 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

Put some fur around it.

Geese, haven't heard (Read) that in 40 yearslaughing

|

I was a third-string dreamer on a second-place team~ Luke Combs