RM250 2 STROKE

CrashMaster
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 4:00am
Hey fellas i'm really interested in the RM250, I want to go back to the two stroke. In your opinions and experience what year(s) do you feel were the best for the RM250 and why? Any input from you guys would be such a help, thanks.
|
12/28/2012 6:36am
I had an 05, nothing will turn inside of it. They ride on rails. The motor is pretty abrupt even by two-stroke standards. MXA says its the two-stroke-iest two-stroke out there, and they weren't lying.

You ride at Budds or Easton? I'd let you try my CR out this spring and it'd probably change your mind.
12/28/2012 6:40am
Go for the 05 and up rm250. I really wanted to get an rm250 also but after months of searching I ended up settling for a 2006 yz250. Now that I have this bike running right I am very pleased with it. This bike is way better than the 2006 kx250 and 2004 cr250 I owned. Good luck finding one because those bad boys are rare around my area.
husky125
12/28/2012 6:42am
I had an 04 and like 125 said nothing will turn inside of it. I put a 10 oz. flywheel weight on it to tame down the hit, added
1 tooth to the rear sprocket and really enjoyed it.
12/28/2012 6:46am
husky125 wrote:
I had an 04 and like 125 said nothing will turn inside of it. I put a 10 oz. flywheel weight on it to tame down...
I had an 04 and like 125 said nothing will turn inside of it. I put a 10 oz. flywheel weight on it to tame down the hit, added
1 tooth to the rear sprocket and really enjoyed it.
1-2 teeth up on the rear is good... stock gearing feels like they'll do 60mph in 1st gear.

The Shop

12/28/2012 6:50am
i have an 05 and the power is crazy, corners like its on rails too but want to pull your arms off Tongue
12/28/2012 7:06am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 7:07am
i've had rm 250s every year for since 2000!!! great bikes

- best year is 2006 so if you can find a real low hours 2006 then get it! the 06 has slightly more bottom end power than the later models (i think the carb intake boot is a different angle and slightly different porting to the later models) any of them 04 onwards you cant go wrong with though. currently have a couple of 2010 (k8) ones in the garage. Selling one of them for a new 450 though!

they come jetted very rich on the main as stock (as most bikes do nowadays) - as far as pipes etc stock is very good and probably the best set up for most people. I run mine with either the stock or fmf fatty front pipe and pro circuit r 304 silence, v-force reed block. Boyeson rad valves work really well too. Instead of the stock gearing (13-50) we go to 13-51.

alot of slower riders actually want to tame the power down from stock and go with reed spacers/ flywheel weights, i found that these tend to deaden the power too much (make it feel flat) and preferred the stock set up with minor mods like light porting work/ pipes etc.

- 3rd and 4th drive gear and 5th driven tend to wear out on the dogs about every 60 hours running time (on average)Theres a shim washer and circlip on the back of 3rd drive gear thats a little too thin and allows 3rd to 'float' a little too much. We add a thicker shim washer there, and also a more heavy duty circlip- the stock circlip can concave (or pop off all together) if you stomp on the gear lever too hard, allowing the gear to move where it shouldnt. This will make your gearbox last alot longer!
Also, when you check your clutch you might want to check the gear selector pin as we have had these work loose after a few hours- we normally remove them and loctite them when we get the bikes, same with the screws on the selector barrel.

They really are great bikes, handle like nothing else! we tend to set ours with the sag set so the back end is real low- i feel that this helps in the corners.
12/28/2012 7:36am
Can't go wrong with the 2004 through 2008. The 2003 has a much different feel and does not handle as well to me.

I still ride my 2004. You can win at the Vet amateur level on this bike pretty easy. Very light and flickable and nutty fast.
bultokid
12/28/2012 8:14am
Had an '05, unreal turner but truth be told it just wore me out in few laps hit so hard....father time has got me.....thinking of picking one up as play/practice bike to stay in shape for vintage racing ( '82 RM465 ).......how was the '95.....here is one local...good buy ? thanks for any advice/input

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3452427719.html
mxjef
12/28/2012 9:47am
I had an '06 and now have an '08, awesome bikes!

I think there was a couple changes made between '05 and '06 but not sure what they were.

I love my RM250, wish they were still selling them here, I'm gonna be bummed when mine wears out.
malachi177
12/28/2012 10:07am
I have an 08 125 and 250. Hands down best bikes I've ever had. Seeing as tracks have changed to favour 4 strokes, adding an 8oz Stealthy flywheel weight to both have really smoothed the hit out, which helps with wheel spin. Yes they feel slower/flat, until I look at the lap times. Usually 2-3 seconds a lap faster. I'm running V-force 3, and Pro Circuit pipe/silencers.

I had a 2000, great bike...but you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that carb outBlink
NorcalVet
12/28/2012 11:02am
Hey fellas i'm really interested in the RM250, I want to go back to the two stroke. In your opinions and experience what year(s) do you...
Hey fellas i'm really interested in the RM250, I want to go back to the two stroke. In your opinions and experience what year(s) do you feel were the best for the RM250 and why? Any input from you guys would be such a help, thanks.

04+ is the way to go, as they upgraded to Showa
>>> Have cash in hand. I used http://www.bikefinds.com/
Took 2 weeks checking at least once a day

I picked up my 05 for 2k w/ a lot goodies. PC pipe, v3 reeds, etc & in good shape. About 5-$600 later new bike.
BNG, revalve, top end,clutch,new plastics (rmz plate and fender bolt right on)
(now i use my rmz for sight laps then the fun begins)

12/28/2012 11:39am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 12:12pm
malachi177 wrote:
I have an 08 125 and 250. Hands down best bikes I've ever had. Seeing as tracks have changed to favour 4 strokes, adding an 8oz...
I have an 08 125 and 250. Hands down best bikes I've ever had. Seeing as tracks have changed to favour 4 strokes, adding an 8oz Stealthy flywheel weight to both have really smoothed the hit out, which helps with wheel spin. Yes they feel slower/flat, until I look at the lap times. Usually 2-3 seconds a lap faster. I'm running V-force 3, and Pro Circuit pipe/silencers.

I had a 2000, great bike...but you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that carb outBlink
i couldnt get on with the flywheel weight at all- novice riders seem to love them though
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/28/2012 12:14pm
How is the trany on the newer 2004 and up RM250's? One thing that I never cared for on the Suzuki 2-strokes was the tranny shifts so easily both up and down. It basically feels sloppy and worn out. There is no positive "click". I rode my buddy's 2001 RM250 which has almost no hours on it. Every time I would click up a gear before a jump I would be wondering whether or not it actually engaged or I would be getting a false neutral when I would get back on the gas... And a few times I downshifted it by accident when my boot barely rubbed the shifter. Not very confidence inspiring. Do the newer bikes still have that tendency?
Lone Wolf
12/28/2012 1:20pm
I had an '08 RM250. They were really good bikes, especially from 2004 onwards. As others have said, they handle well and have strong motors.

I can't help but feel that MXA article (which always gets posted in threads about this bike) overstates the aggressiveness of the power curve a bit. Yeah they have plenty of grunt and an exciting delivery, but I never found it was difficult to manage.

One thing that always bothered me about my 2-stroke RM's was how narrow the fuel tank and front part of the seat were in relation to the frame and airbox. It just felt strange and made it difficult to grip the bike with my legs.
edgo897
12/28/2012 1:46pm
FGR01 wrote:
How is the trany on the newer 2004 and up RM250's? One thing that I never cared for on the Suzuki 2-strokes was the tranny shifts...
How is the trany on the newer 2004 and up RM250's? One thing that I never cared for on the Suzuki 2-strokes was the tranny shifts so easily both up and down. It basically feels sloppy and worn out. There is no positive "click". I rode my buddy's 2001 RM250 which has almost no hours on it. Every time I would click up a gear before a jump I would be wondering whether or not it actually engaged or I would be getting a false neutral when I would get back on the gas... And a few times I downshifted it by accident when my boot barely rubbed the shifter. Not very confidence inspiring. Do the newer bikes still have that tendency?
My 05 is a very positive shifter. It clicks and has a sure feel to it. Missed shifts are rare.
malachi177
12/28/2012 1:51pm
i couldnt get on with the flywheel weight at all- novice riders seem to love them though
I'm a novice?Woohoo
RM Mike
12/28/2012 3:19pm
I bought my '06 RM250 brand new and it is still in factory mint condition. Aside from a FMF silencer it's bone stock. I did trade the yellow seat for a blue one for an '08. Looks way better. Fast enough for me. I would not trade it for any bike.
wydopen
12/28/2012 3:27pm
Hey fellas i'm really interested in the RM250, I want to go back to the two stroke. In your opinions and experience what year(s) do you...
NorcalVet wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/08/01/RM_250_MXa_57371.jpg[/img] 04+ is the way to go, as they upgraded to Showa >>> Have cash in hand. I used [url=http://www.bikefinds.com/]http://www.bikefinds.com/[/url] Took 2 weeks checking at least...

04+ is the way to go, as they upgraded to Showa
>>> Have cash in hand. I used http://www.bikefinds.com/
Took 2 weeks checking at least once a day

I picked up my 05 for 2k w/ a lot goodies. PC pipe, v3 reeds, etc & in good shape. About 5-$600 later new bike.
BNG, revalve, top end,clutch,new plastics (rmz plate and fender bolt right on)
(now i use my rmz for sight laps then the fun begins)

ill take that 450 off your hands Wink
CHARLIE907
12/28/2012 4:40pm
i've had rm 250s every year for since 2000!!! great bikes - best year is 2006 so if you can find a real low hours 2006...

- best year is 2006 so if you can find a real low hours 2006 then get it! the 06 has slightly more bottom end power than the later models (i think the carb intake boot is a different angle and slightly different porting to the later models) any of them 04 onwards you cant go wrong with though. currently have a couple of 2010 (k8) ones in the garage. Selling one of them for a new 450 though!

they come jetted very rich on the main as stock (as most bikes do nowadays) - as far as pipes etc stock is very good and probably the best set up for most people. I run mine with either the stock or fmf fatty front pipe and pro circuit r 304 silence, v-force reed block. Boyeson rad valves work really well too. Instead of the stock gearing (13-50) we go to 13-51.

alot of slower riders actually want to tame the power down from stock and go with reed spacers/ flywheel weights, i found that these tend to deaden the power too much (make it feel flat) and preferred the stock set up with minor mods like light porting work/ pipes etc.

- 3rd and 4th drive gear and 5th driven tend to wear out on the dogs about every 60 hours running time (on average)Theres a shim washer and circlip on the back of 3rd drive gear thats a little too thin and allows 3rd to 'float' a little too much. We add a thicker shim washer there, and also a more heavy duty circlip- the stock circlip can concave (or pop off all together) if you stomp on the gear lever too hard, allowing the gear to move where it shouldnt. This will make your gearbox last alot longer!
Also, when you check your clutch you might want to check the gear selector pin as we have had these work loose after a few hours- we normally remove them and loctite them when we get the bikes, same with the screws on the selector barrel.

They really are great bikes, handle like nothing else! we tend to set ours with the sag set so the back end is real low- i feel that this helps in the corners.
I have an 02 rm 250. What are the noticeable differences between the 02 and the 04 and up bikes?
Vet57
12/29/2012 6:07am
Are OEM parts still readily available for the RMs (05-08)?
12/29/2012 6:09am
Vet57 wrote:
Yes, i think they still produce parts? I've never had a problem getting them anyway.
12/29/2012 6:16am
Vet57 wrote:
The entire bikes are readily available in every country except the USA.

Oh, Suzuki two-strokes basket creep like no other. At least my 05 did.
12/29/2012 6:17am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2012 6:25am
i've had rm 250s every year for since 2000!!! great bikes - best year is 2006 so if you can find a real low hours 2006...

CHARLIE907 wrote:
I have an 02 rm 250. What are the noticeable differences between the 02 and the 04 and up bikes?
the suspension mainly! when they went to the twin chamber showa forks it was a huge improvement!

they completely redesigned the cylinder in 04- then 05 onwards just made minor porting changes, different crank weights etc to try and copy the yamaha basically!
think the 06 has a different shaped carb boot and slightly more crank case compression than the later ones- other than that they didnt change much at all reallY!
12/29/2012 6:21am
Vet57 wrote:
125 wrote:
The entire bikes are readily available in every country except the USA.

Oh, Suzuki two-strokes basket creep like no other. At least my 05 did.
My 05 does that Grinning
12/29/2012 6:21am
malachi177 wrote:
I'm a novice?Woohoo
i dont know, are you? its mainly novices and enduro riders that tend to prefer the flywheel weight/ carb spacers etc (to mellow out the power)

having said that one of the guys i race with (who wins local expert races) found it much easier when he fitted the flywheel weight to his rm 250. He was noticeably faster (he really struggled with the bike at first)- he spent alot of years racing 125s though, and is pretty small, which would probably explain why he couldnt get on with the abrupt power delivery!

all down to personal preference really. The suzuki engine is basically a clone of the yam engine (well the cylinder is anyway) but the yam has a heavier flywheel- so has a broader, easier to use powerband
Digger29
12/29/2012 7:51am
malachi177 wrote:
I'm a novice?Woohoo
i dont know, are you? its mainly novices and enduro riders that tend to prefer the flywheel weight/ carb spacers etc (to mellow out the power)...
i dont know, are you? its mainly novices and enduro riders that tend to prefer the flywheel weight/ carb spacers etc (to mellow out the power)

having said that one of the guys i race with (who wins local expert races) found it much easier when he fitted the flywheel weight to his rm 250. He was noticeably faster (he really struggled with the bike at first)- he spent alot of years racing 125s though, and is pretty small, which would probably explain why he couldnt get on with the abrupt power delivery!

all down to personal preference really. The suzuki engine is basically a clone of the yam engine (well the cylinder is anyway) but the yam has a heavier flywheel- so has a broader, easier to use powerband
I couldn't disagree more with you about novices & enduro riders prefering flywheel weights & reed spacers to tame the hit down. My 2007 RM250 was built by John Dowd's old mechanic & my motor was an exact copy of his last 2004 RM250 outdoor national set up. Both of our motors had the cylinders dramatically lowered to alter the port timing to give the bike way more bottom end & both of our engines had YZ250 pistons & YZ250 V-Forces with the carb spacer & both of our engines had 16oz flywheel weights. I know for a fact that John ran 16, 20 & 22 oz flywheel weights depending on the track. John & I are very good friends & I have sold a number of his bikes over the yrs for him. I sold that RM250 in 05 to a friend who still has it & races it today & it & my 07 RM250 are 450 fast & both have very electric powerbands & very easy to ride. I sold my RM in the fall to a top NESC expert & he was flat out flying on it in the 3 races I saw him at & he couldn't believe how fast & very tractable the power is on it. He loves the bike & will be racing it in 13 also.
12/29/2012 8:08am
So flywheel weights are for pussies, unless you are John Dowd. Case closed.
CamP
12/29/2012 9:21am
Vet57 wrote:
I have a '99 RM125 and Suzuki still offers all the parts for it.
CamP
12/29/2012 9:23am
125 wrote:
So flywheel weights are for pussies, unless you are John Dowd. Case closed.
On of my buddies, that held #38 at one time, has installed a flywheel weight on almost every 250 he's ever raced.

Post a reply to: RM250 2 STROKE

The Latest