RM project questions

wydopen
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2021 4:31pm
So I’m building a bike after not riding since 2014. Was riding an RMZ450 before so I picked up an 01 RM 250. Wasn’t as clean as I’d hoped but it has some tasteful mods and came with a brand new pipe. I really didn’t have enough $ to start riding again but I bought one anyways so this will be a budget build. Luckily I have friends that hooked me up with a 6D helmet and some tech10’s so I’m set there. Aside from buying tires I want to keep my purchases to a minimum..My buddy is a suspension guy so I’m covered there. Aside from a bolt kit, chain and sprockets and plastics I can salvage everything else on the bike. It also came with a brand new fmf fatty which is nice..

My questions are anybody have a good source for frame paint? Don’t want to pay for powder coating and would like to get a close match to oem color. PJ1 doesn’t look like they have a Suzuki silver..

Also what are you guys running for gearing? Will be riding off-road and MX mostly on natural terrain style tracks..

My friend is a welder and I would like to lower the subframe a few mm. Do they reheat treat after they lower them?

Doesn’t look like anyone makes an air box cover for washing for newer RM’s. Has anyone found one for a different bike that works?

Came with an fmf Q sparky. Has anyone cut one down to shorty length? Would save me 150$. Seems pretty strait forward..

I saw a thread where someone mentioned rerouting the front brake line and getting rid of remote rear brake fluid resivor. Bike has lectron carb and it’s really hard to get to choke..can I just use rmz rear brake caliper,
Think I have one laying around somewhere. For the front can I just change fork guards and brake hose or do I need a new caliper also?

Currently stripping everything down. Going to get a soda blaster to clean it up.

Thanks for the help stoked to get back out there now with my son.
|
wydopen
4/11/2021 11:14am
One more question I forgot. Any tips for cleaning up tank? Pretty ugly under graphics ..simple green and a scrub brush didn’t do it. Some stubborn dirt stains that won’t come off
4/11/2021 11:16am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 11:17am
I need friends who hook me up with a 6D and Tech 10’s.

Mine usually just tell me I’m really slow lol

Also OP, I have a turbinecore, some extra sprockets, a filter, and some odds and ends plastics I’d let go for cheap if you can pay shipping
wydopen
4/11/2021 11:34am
I need friends who hook me up with a 6D and Tech 10’s. Mine usually just tell me I’m really slow lol Also OP, I have...

Also OP, I have a turbinecore, some extra sprockets, a filter, and some odds and ends plastics I’d let go for cheap if you can pay shipping
That would be awesome. Thank you.
Bruce372
4/11/2021 12:29pm
You can lower the subframe by ovalling out the bottom mounting holes on the subframe.

I would be careful lowering too much since it messes up silencer alignment amongst other things

The Shop

Teejay
Fantasy
889th
4/11/2021 2:51pm
The frame colour is Suzuki flint grey, paint code YU8 I believe. Any bodyshop or paint supplier should be able to mix it for you in base coat.
MXer391
4/12/2021 7:33am
The airbox cover for the RMZ's should work. I know they use the same air filters. I'm not 100% sure about the brakes but I think you need to change the front caliper to the 04-08 style to get the front brake line to fit right.
Skerby
4/12/2021 7:43am
Square nose is lookin good!
wydopen
4/12/2021 10:27am
Skerby wrote:
Square nose is lookin good!
That’s my sons Fx-1. Just finished it up for him. He just turned 9 has been shredding the surf with me..he was riding a 550 before..now he wants to moto also
biondo
4/12/2021 11:11am
Hi looks like a great find ! Really having Fun on my 2001 RM250 mine was totally stock except for 1-1/8” bars so I bought some 7/8” Carmichael bend and clamp ...
Hopefully get back on the track after not clearing a double On my RMZ 250 and tearing my thumb up /UCL ligament surgery 3months! Recovery time 😢

wydopen
4/12/2021 1:21pm
biondo wrote:
Hi looks like a great find ! Really having Fun on my 2001 RM250 mine was totally stock except for 1-1/8” bars so I bought some...
Hi looks like a great find ! Really having Fun on my 2001 RM250 mine was totally stock except for 1-1/8” bars so I bought some 7/8” Carmichael bend and clamp ...
Hopefully get back on the track after not clearing a double On my RMZ 250 and tearing my thumb up /UCL ligament surgery 3months! Recovery time 😢

That thing looks clean!
biondo
4/12/2021 2:00pm
biondo wrote:
Hi looks like a great find ! Really having Fun on my 2001 RM250 mine was totally stock except for 1-1/8” bars so I bought some...

wydopen wrote:
That thing looks clean!
Thanks ! The guy I purchased from said he only rode it 12-15 hrs ...so I just cleaned up and some new plastic and tires and graphics... I got a soda blaster from harbor freight the cheapest one...kinda messy but really cleans the corrosion off the aluminum
Doesn’t damage finish on rims etc...
Really love how light and agile it feels the
Power comes on rather abruptly🚀 It actually feels better in the rutted corners than my 2020 Rmz and suspension is plush off jumps etc..Great Bike!
Can’t wait to get back in the saddle 🤠
Good luck on your build!
wydopen
4/12/2021 3:29pm
biondo wrote:
Thanks ! The guy I purchased from said he only rode it 12-15 hrs ...so I just cleaned up and some new plastic and tires and...
Thanks ! The guy I purchased from said he only rode it 12-15 hrs ...so I just cleaned up and some new plastic and tires and graphics... I got a soda blaster from harbor freight the cheapest one...kinda messy but really cleans the corrosion off the aluminum
Power comes on rather abruptly🚀 It actually feels better in the rutted corners than my 2020 Rmz and suspension is plush off jumps etc..Great Bike!
Good luck on your build!
Awesome... Definitely think ill get the soda blaster I was debating not spending the $ on it but the hubs are pretty shabby...Im about 4hrs deep into cleaning up the swingarm with scotchbrite pads and simple green and Im still not happy with it..

Think I'm going to put a flywheel weight on it..I just took it for a quick spin but it definitely felt like it came on strong..my last 2stroke was an 03 kx250 and the flywheel weight definitely made it easier to ride
biondo
4/12/2021 3:51pm
biondo wrote:
Thanks ! The guy I purchased from said he only rode it 12-15 hrs ...so I just cleaned up and some new plastic and tires and...
Good luck on your build!
wydopen wrote:
Awesome... Definitely think ill get the soda blaster I was debating not spending the $ on it but the hubs are pretty shabby...Im about 4hrs deep...
Awesome... Definitely think ill get the soda blaster I was debating not spending the $ on it but the hubs are pretty shabby...Im about 4hrs deep into cleaning up the swingarm with scotchbrite pads and simple green and Im still not happy with it..

Think I'm going to put a flywheel weight on it..I just took it for a quick spin but it definitely felt like it came on strong..my last 2stroke was an 03 kx250 and the flywheel weight definitely made it easier to ride
Thanks Actually the hubs and spokes on mine really looked bad until I blasted them with soda ... I just used the grocery store type ....i made a temporary enclosure while blasting and wore a mask 😷 the baking soda goes everywhere!!
I have seen where adding heavier flywheel helps power band...does electron carb help ...Thanks
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
4/12/2021 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2021 7:28pm
lso what are you guys running for gearing? Will be riding off-road and MX mostly on natural terrain style tracks.

---If your riding track typically stock gearing or +1 tooth on the rear should suffice. and off road depends if its open desert or tight woods.

My friend is a welder and I would like to lower the subframe a few mm. Do they reheat treat after they lower them?

---not sure if its heat treated, but they are aluminum so its just a matter of knowing how to weld aluminum and adjusting the silencer bracket as well

Came with an fmf Q sparky. Has anyone cut one down to shorty length? Would save me 150$. Seems pretty strait forward.

--you could cut it, but it would be worth it to buy a stocker/fmf/pc off of ebay or the bazarr section.

I saw a thread where someone mentioned rerouting the front brake line and getting rid of remote rear brake fluid resivor. can I just use rmz rear brake caliper,

---As long as it matches the frame mount it will work

For the front can I just change fork guards and brake hose or do I need a new caliper also?

---its a simple bolt on. change the guards, get a newer hose bracket, newer hose for the 04+ and done
wydopen
4/14/2021 10:30am
I need friends who hook me up with a 6D and Tech 10’s. Mine usually just tell me I’m really slow lol Also OP, I have...

Sent you a message..not sure if you saw it
wydopen
4/25/2021 3:29pm
Just waiting on a lowering link, rear brake pedal and Clevis
Will reroute front brake line also eventually but want to moto now..
Thanks to the vital members who hooked me up with some deals on the parts I needed. Appreciate it

JWACK
4/25/2021 4:06pm
wydopen wrote:
Just waiting on a lowering link, rear brake pedal and Clevis Will reroute front brake line also eventually but want to moto now.. Thanks to the...
Just waiting on a lowering link, rear brake pedal and Clevis
Will reroute front brake line also eventually but want to moto now..
Thanks to the vital members who hooked me up with some deals on the parts I needed. Appreciate it

Nice! Love a nice RM.
You may want to turn your master link clip around though.
wydopen
4/25/2021 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2021 4:35pm
JWACK wrote:
Nice! Love a nice RM.
You may want to turn your master link clip around though.
Good eye thanks..that’s what happens when the kids are bugging you when you are trying to finish your bike up. Went one link shorter than I wanted also..

Post a reply to: RM project questions

The Latest