RM 250 Flywheel Weight for Motocross

Spagina767
Hey guys,

I want some input from people who have used a flywheel weight on a RM 250 before. I just picked up a mint 2004, and want to get it ready for the season.

Back story: I ride 90% moto, and I am a top 25% +30 intermediate rider.

I first was introduced to a FWW on a 2006 RM 250 I had for a short time. It came with a FWW and I rode the bike at Budds and LOVED it. Everything about the power delivery and traction. I then took the FWW off and traded it to a buddy for a nice DEP Works pipe. I rode the bike one more time, and was not happy. It was a dry, hard track which is tough on a 250 but it was noticeably different.

I then picked up a 2006 YZ 250 and rode it a bit. Put an 11oz weight on it and loved it. Traction improved, it got smoother, and honestly felt like it pulled harder, longer. People say that it makes their bikes feel slow, but I always keep my bike in the upper RPM's anyway, and never noticed much of a "laggy" feeling.

Anyway, I have read mixed reviews on the RM 250 FWW, so I was wondering who has used one, and what weight do you recommend? I was planning on doing a 10oz, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!
|
jeffro503
2/27/2019 8:39pm
I had a 10oz on mine , but put on an 8oz stealthy. I wanted that tad bit of extra quick spool up. For me the 8oz was the ticket.
Bruce372
2/27/2019 8:48pm
I could never feel much difference.

If you have an 04, look for a carb manifold, read and spacer from a yz250... really helps how the engine runs.

The ports and power valve are mismatched, so you can clean them up as well.

When you have the cylinder off, check the reed stoppers aren't blocking the rear boost transfer port... this is where the Reed spacer helps, the yz250 manifold is shorter and keeps the spacing the same
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
2/27/2019 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 8:49pm
8oz softens the hit, but allows you to corner a gear higher with some bottom end grunt..mine was on a yz250 but the 10oz was a bit too muted for me
Spagina767
2/27/2019 8:50pm
Ultimate plan is to build the motor, add a vforce, pipe, silencer, etc. For this summer though, just going very basic. Good tip on the Reed spacer!

The Shop

Bruce372
2/27/2019 8:59pm
Spagina767 wrote:
Ultimate plan is to build the motor, add a vforce, pipe, silencer, etc. For this summer though, just going very basic. Good tip on the Reed...
Ultimate plan is to build the motor, add a vforce, pipe, silencer, etc. For this summer though, just going very basic. Good tip on the Reed spacer!
Should be sweet, I remember your 125 was ace.

On my 2005, I preferred the yz250 OEM reeds over the vforce, cant remember whether I modded the stoppers to clear the boost port .

I like factory fatty best with the stock silencer of all things... stock is exactly the same dimensions as the fmf regular silencer lol
Bruce372
2/27/2019 9:00pm
Heard Bill's is really good pipe. Pro circuit traded bottom for top, but i wasnt strong enough for it
Spagina767
2/27/2019 10:04pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Heard Bill's is really good pipe. Pro circuit traded bottom for top, but i wasnt strong enough for it
Nice. I'm leaning towards Bill's factory pipe and the GP2 longer carbon silencer.
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
2/28/2019 5:42am
I had one on my 06 when I got it.. Always thought the motor was lazy and unwilling to get on the pipe even though we did a fresh top to bottom rebuild. I took it off and it has been awesome since. Bike has a PC pipe and a V Force on it. I'll never run a weight again.
dedi684
2/28/2019 7:00am
Run an 11oz on my yz 250s. Always liked them better than stock.
Spagina767
2/28/2019 12:51pm
Steve125 wrote:
I had one on my 06 when I got it.. Always thought the motor was lazy and unwilling to get on the pipe even though we...
I had one on my 06 when I got it.. Always thought the motor was lazy and unwilling to get on the pipe even though we did a fresh top to bottom rebuild. I took it off and it has been awesome since. Bike has a PC pipe and a V Force on it. I'll never run a weight again.
I appreciate your input! I find it wild how varied the opinions are regarding FWW's.

I'll probably go 8 just to be on the safe side and ride it back to back a few times and see what I think.
b8res
2/28/2019 1:40pm
Spagina767 wrote:
I appreciate your input! I find it wild how varied the opinions are regarding FWW's. I'll probably go 8 just to be on the safe side...
I appreciate your input! I find it wild how varied the opinions are regarding FWW's.

I'll probably go 8 just to be on the safe side and ride it back to back a few times and see what I think.
I don't run a FWW on my 06.... PC pipe and R304 silencer, VForce, Pulls smooth as butter, love this motor.

My buddy bought n 05 last year, it had a FFW on it, took it off couldn't really notice any difference his a an 8oz. He's running the same PC works pipe and R304, both bikes are buttery smooth.

He dumped his 17 Husky TC250 for the RM....

Were both upper end Vet riders, like in our mid 50's...
cesar_rc4
2/28/2019 2:09pm
Im my rm 250 2008 i run a bill pipes with mx2 silencer and it rides very good. Strong bottom and it keep pulling.
Here is one video if you want to check.
In the video i run in 3rd gear and 4rd

¿Donde dices que están los baches? ?? #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #2stroke #2t #helmetcam #gopro #flyracing

43 Likes, 5 Comments - Cesar Casas Angel (@cesark28) on Instagram: "¿Donde dices que están los baches? ?? #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #2stroke #2t..."

Sonidos que enamoran... 2 tiempos siempre #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #sound #2stroke #2t #jump #turn #billpipes

47 Likes, 0 Comments - Cesar Casas Angel (@cesark28) on Instagram: "Sonidos que enamoran... 2 tiempos siempre #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #sound..."

Yours builds are awesome spagina! Cant wait to see the bike finish
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/28/2019 2:14pm
cesar_rc4 wrote:
Im my rm 250 2008 i run a bill pipes with mx2 silencer and it rides very good. Strong bottom and it keep pulling. Here is...
Im my rm 250 2008 i run a bill pipes with mx2 silencer and it rides very good. Strong bottom and it keep pulling.

¿Donde dices que están los baches? ?? #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #2stroke #2t #helmetcam #gopro #flyracing

43 Likes, 5 Comments - Cesar Casas Angel (@cesark28) on Instagram: "¿Donde dices que están los baches? ?? #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #2stroke #2t..."

Sonidos que enamoran... 2 tiempos siempre #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #sound #2stroke #2t #jump #turn #billpipes

47 Likes, 0 Comments - Cesar Casas Angel (@cesark28) on Instagram: "Sonidos que enamoran... 2 tiempos siempre #mx #motocross #sx #supercross #suzuki #rm250 #sound..."

Is that in Spain? Looks like the California/Nevada/Arizona desert.
cesar_rc4
2/28/2019 2:24pm
cesar_rc4 wrote:
Im my rm 250 2008 i run a bill pipes with mx2 silencer and it rides very good. Strong bottom and it keep pulling. Here is...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Yes mate, south of spain( murcia).
here its a zone a litle bit arid and the video was taken almost in summer and the track is closed many yesrs ago. not rain so often where i live and sadly youre right, its like a desert most of the time.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/28/2019 2:33pm
cesar_rc4 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
cesar_rc4 wrote:
Yes mate, south of spain( murcia). here its a zone a litle bit arid and the video was taken almost in summer and the track is...
Yes mate, south of spain( murcia).
here its a zone a litle bit arid and the video was taken almost in summer and the track is closed many yesrs ago. not rain so often where i live and sadly youre right, its like a desert most of the time.
I had no idea there was anywhere across the pond that looked like the desert here in the US.
2/28/2019 2:39pm
IMO no need for a fly wheel weight on a RM250 for motocross. The beauty of the engine is the free spooling/clutch. Don't try to change the power. Change YOU so you can use the power.
Lightning78
2/28/2019 2:57pm
Spagina767 wrote:
Hey guys, I want some input from people who have used a flywheel weight on a RM 250 before. I just picked up a mint 2004...
Hey guys,

I want some input from people who have used a flywheel weight on a RM 250 before. I just picked up a mint 2004, and want to get it ready for the season.

Back story: I ride 90% moto, and I am a top 25% +30 intermediate rider.

I first was introduced to a FWW on a 2006 RM 250 I had for a short time. It came with a FWW and I rode the bike at Budds and LOVED it. Everything about the power delivery and traction. I then took the FWW off and traded it to a buddy for a nice DEP Works pipe. I rode the bike one more time, and was not happy. It was a dry, hard track which is tough on a 250 but it was noticeably different.

I then picked up a 2006 YZ 250 and rode it a bit. Put an 11oz weight on it and loved it. Traction improved, it got smoother, and honestly felt like it pulled harder, longer. People say that it makes their bikes feel slow, but I always keep my bike in the upper RPM's anyway, and never noticed much of a "laggy" feeling.

Anyway, I have read mixed reviews on the RM 250 FWW, so I was wondering who has used one, and what weight do you recommend? I was planning on doing a 10oz, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!
I would've love to have put a 6 or 9oz. On my 06 RM250 I probably would've kept it if so bec like you I rode one like that and bought one immediately....never came to terms with it though and I'm sure that's whu
jeffro503
2/28/2019 7:51pm
One thing I'll add to my post above. With the 8oz FWW , I mainly got it to help calm that rear tire down a little on dry / hard pack / marble type terrain. I could do without it on " good dirt " , but I don't notice it even being on there now that I am used to it. ( or was before I tore her down ). One plus I found with running one was , off gas it seemed to want to carry a bit more momentum , but it also broadened the power slightly. I have not ran this bike since I had all my motor work done on this last rebuild either though. Cases were matched , along with everything from the air boot to the exhaust was matched , ported , head slightly milled , and a few other little things. I'm anxious to get this damn thing going agin , if I ever finish it!
Spagina767
2/28/2019 9:51pm
IMO no need for a fly wheel weight on a RM250 for motocross. The beauty of the engine is the free spooling/clutch. Don't try to change...
IMO no need for a fly wheel weight on a RM250 for motocross. The beauty of the engine is the free spooling/clutch. Don't try to change the power. Change YOU so you can use the power.
I understand that sentiment, but flywheel weights are sold for a reason. I actually read that many, many pros used FWW's and it just wasn't talked about. From what I understand, John Dowd ran the heaviest ones possible.

Anyways, I will be riding some woods and racing harescrambles this year for the first time since I was 12, so I just want to smooth out the power a bit. I'm going to get an 8, because I found one used on ebay. I'll ride back to back a few times, and if I don't like it, then ill get rid of it.
Spagina767
2/28/2019 9:52pm
cesar_rc4 wrote:

Thanks, man! My daughter is 3.5 now, so I defiantly haven't been able to build bikes like I have in the past. This is going to be a very mild "clean up" for now, but it should be cool when I go full-tilt on it later this year.
Cancerman
2/28/2019 11:16pm
Here's my input on the RM250, etc. I've owned several RM125's and 250's in the last 10 years. I found the FMF pipe (SST) kills the bike, makes it have no hit whatsoever. I liked the PC pipe, myself. I used the Vforce reeds. the 8 oz FWW. More than that slows it coming out of turns at the short run ups for jumps. The 8 oz helps reduce stalling, and keeps from lighting up the rear tire. You really won't notice much unless you ride it back to back. I always run half 93 pump, half 105 octane. Jetting becomes much easier and consistent. No fouled plugs. I played with the power valve adjustment. I could wack the throttle open a gear high and it would just take off. The only reason you would want more low end is if you are riding just in the woods. If so, use the FMF Gnarly. The RM250, 04 and later are wonderful bikes. Also, take your time finding your balance, front to rear. It will eliminate the majority of the head shake and make the bike feel planted better. Get the proper springs for your weight as well.
downard254
3/1/2019 2:33am
I’ve got an 11 oz on my bike, I’ve been looking for the same motor feel that my 1990 RM250 when it had a 10 oz weight on it. Big difference being my 1990 ran a stock pipe but had porting done to boost low to mid range. That motor was electric smooth. It never wanted to stall, would still rev well and instead of a “hit”, it just had great forward thrust everywhere. My ‘06 isn’t there yet, and I suspect it’s because the factory flywheel is lighter on the ‘06 stock than it was on the ‘90. It still runs great regardless, if still just a bit more aggressive than I prefer. I heard from a friend once that after John Dowd retired from Pro racing, he was running an RM 250 and had upwards of 18 oz’s of flywheel weight. Don’t quote me on that, but it’s just something I remember hearing. I think Pete24 on the board here is very knowledgeable on RM’s and you might get some advice from him.
Digger29
3/1/2019 8:29am
downard254 wrote:
I’ve got an 11 oz on my bike, I’ve been looking for the same motor feel that my 1990 RM250 when it had a 10 oz...
I’ve got an 11 oz on my bike, I’ve been looking for the same motor feel that my 1990 RM250 when it had a 10 oz weight on it. Big difference being my 1990 ran a stock pipe but had porting done to boost low to mid range. That motor was electric smooth. It never wanted to stall, would still rev well and instead of a “hit”, it just had great forward thrust everywhere. My ‘06 isn’t there yet, and I suspect it’s because the factory flywheel is lighter on the ‘06 stock than it was on the ‘90. It still runs great regardless, if still just a bit more aggressive than I prefer. I heard from a friend once that after John Dowd retired from Pro racing, he was running an RM 250 and had upwards of 18 oz’s of flywheel weight. Don’t quote me on that, but it’s just something I remember hearing. I think Pete24 on the board here is very knowledgeable on RM’s and you might get some advice from him.
I was buying a ton of the Team Suzuki RM125s and 250s in the mid 90s right through when they switched over to the 4 strokes and the RM250s regardless of whos it was all had 9 to 13oz flywheel weights on them. I took 9yrs off and came back and bought my 07 RM250 in the crate and gave it to Ron Bushey (John Dowds mechanic) and he built it from the ground up for me. The motor was heavily modified and basically had the same set up that Dowd was running on his last outdoor RM250 and Ron put a 13oz flywheel weight on mine. He told me that they had multiple flywheel weights for the different outdoor national tracks and they went from 13oz to 22oz.

Post a reply to: RM 250 Flywheel Weight for Motocross

The Latest