RJ's DNF by way of trackside banners

mxtech1
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2021 3:03am
Hate to see someone like RJ, capable of winning races, being taken out of a moto by something so stupid as trackside banners getting jammed up in the rear wheel.

In my opinion, there's an easy solution to implement that would prevent this from happening in the future. Every 5' or 10', the banner should be perforated so that if a rider runs off track and go through a banner, the banner will separate leaving much less material that can get entangled in the wheel.
|
aeffertz
7/19/2021 11:32am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2021 12:08pm
He could've backed up and entered the track 2 feet to the left where there was a large opening in the banners instead of doing what he did. Would've probably been safer than entering the track on the backside of a blind single, too.

His DNF was caused by being impatient.
7/19/2021 11:34am
mxtech1 wrote:
Hate to see someone like RJ, capable of winning races, being taken out of a moto by something so stupid as trackside banners getting jammed up...
Hate to see someone like RJ, capable of winning races, being taken out of a moto by something so stupid as trackside banners getting jammed up in the rear wheel.

In my opinion, there's an easy solution to implement that would prevent this from happening in the future. Every 5' or 10', the banner should be perforated so that if a rider runs off track and go through a banner, the banner will separate leaving much less material that can get entangled in the wheel.
Just be glad it is not mxgp where the signs are 5ft tall and cant even see the track in most spots due to them.
Johnny Depp
7/19/2021 11:44am
Superman cape? It’s already in his wheel… red guy regretting paying no attention to 30 ft of banner ripped down,
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/19/2021 12:12pm
aeffertz wrote:
He could've backed up and entered the track 2 feet to the left where there was a large opening in the banners instead of doing what...
He could've backed up and entered the track 2 feet to the left where there was a large opening in the banners instead of doing what he did. Would've probably been safer than entering the track on the backside of a blind single, too.

Patience ? In a motocross race ?

The Shop

7/19/2021 12:33pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Hate to see someone like RJ, capable of winning races, being taken out of a moto by something so stupid as trackside banners getting jammed up...

Just be glad it is not mxgp where the signs are 5ft tall and cant even see the track in most spots due to them.
The GP banners are ridiculous actually there a fucking joke
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
7/19/2021 12:38pm
mxtech1 wrote:

The GP banners are ridiculous actually there a fucking joke
Remember when Dungey went off the track the one year at MXoN and had a heck of a time getting back on?
AH387
7/19/2021 12:38pm
I think him entering back in a normal spot is probably a little easier than changing banner production. Don't get me wrong, I was super bummed about it but part of that was on him.
tingo
7/19/2021 12:43pm
aeffertz wrote:
He could've backed up and entered the track 2 feet to the left where there was a large opening in the banners instead of doing what...

The bigger issue I see is the wooden stakes. The banner may have messed up RJ's race (and countless others over the years), but those stakes have a very real potential to impale. Find a way to attach the banners to the Acerbis track markers. I get that you can't remove all risk, but getting rid of hundreds of little wooden posts that guys occasionally crash into seems like a no brainer.
midwestmoto
7/19/2021 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2021 12:46pm
Wasn't there a mxdn where I think barcia went off the track and had to like jump over the fence to get back on or am I making that up

If I remember correctly, I think he hit line a tiny lip to hop over the fence and he endo'd and legs came up a little like a superman.
Richy
7/19/2021 12:52pm
RJ always seems like a good dude, clearly fast enough, real shame he's still being plagued by bad luck, wrong place / wrong time shenanigans or the occasional front end burial... hope he gets a smoother run from here.
ZOBITO
7/19/2021 12:56pm
Tough day at the office for team USA at Lommel 2012 MXDN...
Yes, Dungey was trapped among the photographers behind the infamous green nets (which have gone since, after so many Hampshire like race incidents), but I think Barcia's "little problem" was even worse...

zehn
7/19/2021 12:56pm
Don’t go off the track then WFO through a banner. Problem solved
zehn
7/19/2021 1:00pm
Hard to believe someone at that level sees a banner and doesn’t automatically think “oh shit I need to avoid that at ALL COSTS”
VetRider97
7/19/2021 6:36pm
aeffertz wrote:

tingo wrote:
The bigger issue I see is the wooden stakes. The banner may have messed up RJ's race (and countless others over the years), but those stakes...
The bigger issue I see is the wooden stakes. The banner may have messed up RJ's race (and countless others over the years), but those stakes have a very real potential to impale. Find a way to attach the banners to the Acerbis track markers. I get that you can't remove all risk, but getting rid of hundreds of little wooden posts that guys occasionally crash into seems like a no brainer.
I have thought same thing for years about impalement of a rider the wood stakes , Even worse is steel T fence posts. . Seen Tim Ferry take out a steel T fence post at Millville one year when whoops were very fast, scary stuff. Hate to even think about it.
ab5772
7/20/2021 1:50pm
Banners should be the least of RJ's worries. I've never seen a dude who crashes that much. At least he gives it all he's got and is fun to watch. There's no doubt about that.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
7/20/2021 2:22pm
The question I kept asking myself is why they didn't pull on the banner while rolling the rear wheel backward?
If they unwound the sucker, he may have earned some points.
7/20/2021 3:45pm
I like to think positively...and that banner probably kept RJ from hitting the ground 3 or 4 times. It was an intervention, of sorts. A much needed one.
SilverSpurs
7/20/2021 7:55pm
I like to think positively...and that banner probably kept RJ from hitting the ground 3 or 4 times. It was an intervention, of sorts. A much...
I like to think positively...and that banner probably kept RJ from hitting the ground 3 or 4 times. It was an intervention, of sorts. A much needed one.
Lol.
RJ has taken over from Mcdoodle.
FWYT
7/20/2021 8:07pm
zehn wrote:
Hard to believe someone at that level sees a banner and doesn’t automatically think “oh shit I need to avoid that at ALL COSTS”
No kidding.
cable
7/20/2021 8:08pm
Radical wrote:
The question I kept asking myself is why they didn't pull on the banner while rolling the rear wheel backward? If they unwound the sucker, he...
The question I kept asking myself is why they didn't pull on the banner while rolling the rear wheel backward?
same thought. maybe they tried when camera wasnt on?
brocster
7/20/2021 8:22pm
Radical wrote:
The question I kept asking myself is why they didn't pull on the banner while rolling the rear wheel backward? If they unwound the sucker, he...
Was driving me nuts watching them lose to the banners...
jathey
7/20/2021 8:44pm
Wouldn't others helping him untangle the banners from his bike qualify as 'outside assistance' and immediately DQ him anyway?
rawjahdesigns
7/20/2021 8:57pm
aeffertz wrote:

sumdood wrote:
Patience ? In a motocross race ? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/19/502167/s1200_BUTCH_CASSIDY_KNIFE_FIGHT.jpg[/img]
Patience ? In a motocross race ?

yup, that's a thing...
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
7/20/2021 9:28pm
Radical wrote:
watch it again. he hit the gas thinking he was going somewhere pinned.. he wrapped the banners in the wheel so tight that there's no effin way he was going anywhere and that it was next to impossible to get them out without removing the wheel... i thought the same thing until i watched it again...
7/20/2021 10:04pm
Those banners are plastic. They melt once they get in there, and then solidify again pretty quickly. You're left with a form-fitting plastic bushing of sorts. It's not nearly as easy as unwinding them.
jathey
7/20/2021 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2021 10:32pm
All I could think of while I watched them struggle was ' all those banners everywhere and no one has a utilty knife?' Mechanic? Track worker? No one?
EngIceDave
7/21/2021 2:55am
A million years ago when dinosaurs roamed the planet, motocross tracks were lined with pennant banners and they always got wound up in someone's wheel.

Shit happens
Same for everyone
philG
7/21/2021 3:03am
aeffertz wrote:

This is the correct answer .

Post a reply to: RJ's DNF by way of trackside banners

The Latest