RIP Ron Hamp

ehr400
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 7:55pm
Just read that legendary 4 stroke tuner passed away. He was a awesome guy who would give his shirt off his back. Built alot of motors for alot of fast guys. Another good guy in the industry gone.
|
c0ncEpT
7/2/2019 1:21pm
RIP

One of the great minds when it came to small engine performance.
mrtuf
7/2/2019 1:24pm
Ron was a great engine builder, but was also a great guy. I feel lucky to have known him and worked with him in the past. He will be missed.
ehr400
7/2/2019 1:27pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
RIP

Back in 2002 when the CRF first was out my valves went out after like 50 hours. I found Ron thru Thumper talk and he was awesome with his stainless valves. He even lent me his shim kit, because I didnt own any, and he never met me, sent it to me. He said just take what you need and send it back. He has helped me numerous times over the years on other things as well. Great man, loved bench racing and good person.
dboivin
7/2/2019 1:44pm
yup..one of the great ones gone. always looked forward to reading his ramblings about motors on facebook. Sad RIP

The Shop

rob162
7/2/2019 1:49pm
Holy hell he was such a great guy!!! With everything going on with his wife to. Tragic. My condolences
PTshox
7/2/2019 3:28pm
Wow... I had him do a few heads and valve jobs for me. Always had the best info to share. Knew exactly what was needed to make a motor work for off road. Was so smart when it came to porting and cam profiles!! And great guy.

Anyone know what happened?
G-man
7/2/2019 5:59pm
I remember his name but never met him.
Sounds like a great guy from the story ehr400 told.....

RIP Ron
7/2/2019 9:07pm
I just got my rmz 250 head/cams of choice. The bikes rips he was great to work with Rip Ron Hamp,❤️🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🏆🏁 we be greatly missed for sure he was a guru
DL
7/2/2019 10:17pm
RIP Ron.
Jeff alessi
7/2/2019 10:26pm
Wow that’s a rough passing for a lot in this industry, I know Ron did a lot with my dad and the early motoconcept bikes and I know I’ve personally had a few engines of his in my race bike as a pro during privateer years! I have even had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone from Cali to I think Michigan? He was always on hand to help figure something out with our engines and make them better. I always imagined him like the all knowing grandpa of the engine program because he was very highly regarded and didn’t even need to leave his shop, just blue print and get u specific parts he built and be happy with a badass engine that didn’t blow up!!! I always had great respect each time I had the chance to talk to him because he would make me make my engine better from across the country cause he could decipher what was going on. Great guy, rip to the all knowing ron Hamp I’m bummed to hear of his passing!
PTshox
7/2/2019 10:30pm
Anyone have a clue what happened or a link to the story? I can't find anything..... Used to talk to him every month or two.
7/2/2019 11:39pm
Ron made a great cam for my CRF450 and he always happy to chat at length and share everything he knew and thought. This is sad news for sure.
752dad
7/3/2019 2:09am
Saddened to hear this news.
Ron was a colleague and a friend.

KC
H4L
7/3/2019 2:46am
Sad news to read. I'd always read his info posted on the TT / Vital forums & gained knowledge every time. He came across as a genuine person with a guru mind for moto..
My condolences to the Hamp family.

RIP Ron.
c0ncEpT
7/3/2019 5:51am
PTshox wrote:
Anyone have a clue what happened or a link to the story? I can't find anything..... Used to talk to him every month or two.
I believe Ron has had some heart problems over the years. I'm not in the know but I would imagine that his passing is probably heart related.
STLSharky
7/3/2019 6:03am
mrtuf wrote:
Ron was a great engine builder, but was also a great guy. I feel lucky to have known him and worked with him in the past...
Ron was a great engine builder, but was also a great guy. I feel lucky to have known him and worked with him in the past. He will be missed.
Do tell now Dave, just who did Ron Hamp build engines for besides you(Tuf Racing) and Mike Alessi when Terry Varner wasnt?
usp4u
7/3/2019 6:39am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 6:39am
For about 10 years I was heavily invested in the old YZ450 platform....Ron spent a lot of time helping out and offering guidance.

His passing is not news that I wanted open my browser and see this morning.

Great guy. Will be sorely missed.
7/3/2019 9:10am
Terrible to hear about.

Ron sent me his full on ported head, valves, and camshaft - along with a custom Yoshimura header/ Supertrapp silencer exhaust. Told me to run a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston and U4 fuel. Even helped me dial in the jetting via phone calls while I was at the track. That motor was a BEAST. Holeshots were easy. Local fast guys rode it and came off the track with wide eyes and a smile!

He was an amazing personality, he will deffinitely be missed. RIP
PTshox
7/3/2019 11:30pm
I’m bummed. Ron Hamp was simply a great human being.
I purchased from Ron ahead for a CRF250 12 years ago and found him to be a super straight shooter and a wealth of information. Everything he told me was 100% true when I tested it. We’d talk about competitors’ products I purchased, how they performed and Ron would just nail how things would work every time. I remember him telling me about a certain cam “it will hit hard in the middle which will trick you into thinking you’re going faster, but it just creates wheel spin. It will be slower on the track. XYZ cam on the other hand won’t have that hit but it will pull sooner and smoother and you’ll be faster.” This is EXACTLY what happened when I tried both products. I was hooked. All the other guys just tried to BS me with crap. My stuff ROCKS! Ron… NEVER would do such a thing. He was real. Knew it from years of experience. NO BS.

He was 100% right every time. Never missed. Not once!

Over the years since then I would reach out to Ron to talk about the motorcycle industry every month or so. I would try and help him with his business, as it was clear he was a rare talent and a wonderful person. And I know high level talent that is well known in the industry. There is only one that I would put on Ron’s level and he’s pretty much help develop all the race gas used in Auto and Motorcycle racing in the USA. Ron and I would talk about what’s he’s up to and the teams he’s doing stuff for behind the scenes (master heads for satellite and major teams….… etc.). Cam’s he’s working on and who is using them. Throttle body inserts when FI showed up on dirt bikes, velocities, port shapes, valve seat angles, etc. What works and what is window dressing.

Simply put, Ron Hamp was a class act. He did everything with integrity. THIS is VERY rare today. Sadly. He was always available to help or just converse to catch up. I valued what he did and how he did it. I’m a degreed engineer, and frankly folks like Ron kick a degreed person’s ass in expertise and capabilities in areas they love EVERY single time. He knew exactly what he was doing and put the time in and it showed. NOTHING trumps hard work.

I will miss Ron.
752dad
7/8/2019 5:38am
Funeral arrangements:

752dad
7/9/2019 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 7:13pm
Brad Kress from No Bull graphics and Ron’s brother Dave put this awesome tank together for Ron’s ashes.

Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/9/2019 7:51pm
Go fast Ron.
He was a super nice guy and I was grateful for the work he did on my CRF. It was a testament to his work that he had a waiting list, a testament to him that he made sure everyone got completed.

Back in the day, he would offer his help on Thumpertalk and provide assistance wherever he could.

A sad day to lose a great guy.
de883zx
7/9/2019 7:55pm
So much knowledge gone. Legend
cctally65
11/29/2022 7:03pm
PTshox wrote:
I’m bummed. Ron Hamp was simply a great human being. I purchased from Ron ahead for a CRF250 12 years ago and found him to be...
I’m bummed. Ron Hamp was simply a great human being.
I purchased from Ron ahead for a CRF250 12 years ago and found him to be a super straight shooter and a wealth of information. Everything he told me was 100% true when I tested it. We’d talk about competitors’ products I purchased, how they performed and Ron would just nail how things would work every time. I remember him telling me about a certain cam “it will hit hard in the middle which will trick you into thinking you’re going faster, but it just creates wheel spin. It will be slower on the track. XYZ cam on the other hand won’t have that hit but it will pull sooner and smoother and you’ll be faster.” This is EXACTLY what happened when I tried both products. I was hooked. All the other guys just tried to BS me with crap. My stuff ROCKS! Ron… NEVER would do such a thing. He was real. Knew it from years of experience. NO BS.

He was 100% right every time. Never missed. Not once!

Over the years since then I would reach out to Ron to talk about the motorcycle industry every month or so. I would try and help him with his business, as it was clear he was a rare talent and a wonderful person. And I know high level talent that is well known in the industry. There is only one that I would put on Ron’s level and he’s pretty much help develop all the race gas used in Auto and Motorcycle racing in the USA. Ron and I would talk about what’s he’s up to and the teams he’s doing stuff for behind the scenes (master heads for satellite and major teams….… etc.). Cam’s he’s working on and who is using them. Throttle body inserts when FI showed up on dirt bikes, velocities, port shapes, valve seat angles, etc. What works and what is window dressing.

Simply put, Ron Hamp was a class act. He did everything with integrity. THIS is VERY rare today. Sadly. He was always available to help or just converse to catch up. I valued what he did and how he did it. I’m a degreed engineer, and frankly folks like Ron kick a degreed person’s ass in expertise and capabilities in areas they love EVERY single time. He knew exactly what he was doing and put the time in and it showed. NOTHING trumps hard work.

I will miss Ron.

Great Write up!!!  A++++

cctally65
11/29/2022 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2022 7:39pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
RIP

ehr400 wrote:
Back in 2002 when the CRF first was out my valves went out after like 50 hours. I found Ron thru Thumper talk and he was...
Back in 2002 when the CRF first was out my valves went out after like 50 hours. I found Ron thru Thumper talk and he was awesome with his stainless valves. He even lent me his shim kit, because I didnt own any, and he never met me, sent it to me. He said just take what you need and send it back. He has helped me numerous times over the years on other things as well. Great man, loved bench racing and good person.

My valves went out at 20 hours.  And, I found Ron through the infant stages of Thumper Talk.com as well.  Anyhow, I rang him up, we chatted a bit and I told him what I basically wanted. #1 Honda reliability back.  Although costing a bit more than a top end rebuild for a 2-stoke, it still wasn't all that much money (at the time) for a port job, new valves, shims and seats.  The head came back ready to bolt on in about 8-10 days.  He wasn't sure the valves would be exactly in spec but offered to help guide me through having it running again quickly.  Needless to say, it took a couple kicks to fire up once I got it all back together.  Yuh gotta remember, this was '03 and my first intro to 4-stokes after many years-n-years on Honda CR 250s 2-smokes.  Shims, uhh, what's that?  Ironically, this was the same experience to many others as well that hopped on the ole thumper band wagon and experienced early valve failure by the radical engine technology.  Anyhow, the thing literally breathed fire out the exhaust when lit up at night and I cracked the throttle after a bike wash.  I think I went through a couple packings in my OEM exhausts for a couple years later.  Back then, people would switch right over to aftermarket exhaust systems.  Folks here's a hint: Honda builds some bad ass stock stuff.  Following Ron's recommendation,  I just kept my exhaust stock and bought a couple extra exhausts off E-bay for less than 100 bucks a pop.  LOL...other than replacing the cans, I never put a wrench on it again. Never ! ! ! !  I sold it a few years later to move up to an '06 model that was better suspended. Then to an '08 which was the end all to end all flag ship in 4-stroke MX.  Now on a '19 CRF450R.  The brute power of my '19 reminds me of the '03.  Basically an absolute 'monsta' that needs to be respected by a non-pro vet rider.  After reading though all of these very sincere posts, I think one would gather that Mr. Ron Hamp was to 4-stroke performance what Neil Peart (RUSH) is/was to his custom made drum sets.  Both pure music and insanity in the making - and the ability to be the absolute BEST at their game!!!  In closing, I looked Ron up today to pass along his services to a friend that's now into flat tracking a 450-CRF.  I assured him, IF he really wanted the winningest machine on the track, Ron would be the first and Only one to call.  Sad news.  R.I.P. (((Ron H.)))

Post a reply to: RIP Ron Hamp

The Latest