RIP Kurt Caselli

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2013 6:13pm
I'd only met Kurt once, in '12 at Southwick when he was trying his first National MX.

Some people have the ability to make you feel like you've known them forever after just a few minutes, and Kurt definitely had that. He could also ride a bike like nobody's business. It sure makes it easy to understand the outpouring of love and support that's being seen all over social media. Below is a statement from KTM.

KTM mourns the loss of Kurt Caselli

KTM reports with great sadness that American KTM factory rider Kurt Caselli died as the result of injuries sustained in a crash while competing in the SCORE/Baja 1000 this weekend.

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some animal, which apparently caused the crash.

Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.

Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”

Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”

Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.

Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.

https://youtu.be/93UOfkh0zgk
|
mxb2
11/16/2013 11:06am
Well said, RIP Kurt. So sad.
Camp332
11/16/2013 11:08am
I hear ya Gibby. I never met him but have read a lot of interviews, watched tons his videos over the years to make me a huge fan. I am so sad for his family, his friends, all of us fans. We lost a good one folks.
48dirtbikekid
11/16/2013 11:10am
GuyB wrote:
[i]I'd only met Kurt once, in '12 at Southwick when he was trying his first National MX. Some people have the ability to make you feel...
I'd only met Kurt once, in '12 at Southwick when he was trying his first National MX.

Some people have the ability to make you feel like you've known them forever after just a few minutes, and Kurt definitely had that. He could also ride a bike like nobody's business. It sure makes it easy to understand the outpouring of love and support that's being seen all over social media. Below is a statement from KTM.

KTM mourns the loss of Kurt Caselli

KTM reports with great sadness that American KTM factory rider Kurt Caselli died as the result of injuries sustained in a crash while competing in the SCORE/Baja 1000 this weekend.

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some animal, which apparently caused the crash.

Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.

Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”

Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”

Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.

Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.

https://youtu.be/93UOfkh0zgk
X2, I first met him in november of 2001, instantly a friend and a good dude deep down. Riding skills aside he was a role model and will be missed dearly. My thought to his family and fiancé Sarah!
Choppy
11/16/2013 11:13am
He was the nicest persons I had the pleasure of knowing and one of the people I respected most in life for his dedication and hard work.

It's a terrible day today.

The Shop

fcr
11/16/2013 11:47am
Very sorry to hear this. RIP
TX24
11/16/2013 11:54am
I always like to follow his results in the big races.
Titan1
11/16/2013 11:58am
I posted this in the other thread...but I will post it here too.

I did my best to emulate Kurt's riding style because he was the best there was in the desert. But I remember the first time I watched one of his helmet cams from a NHHA race, and beyond the ridiculous speed the one thing that change me was that at every check point he ALWAYS said "thank you" to the course workers that marked his front fender. The biggest name in the sport, humble and polite enough to thank the course workers, it blew me away. So, of course, I started doing the same thing.

I remember at the 2nd Utah national hare and hound this past may....I was walking down the bomb run, and Kurt was walking up it...helmet on...but, without me saying anything to him (I didn't want to bug him) he was polite enough to say "hi" and "good luck today" as we passed to a perfect stranger. He was just down to earth and cool.

I didn't even know him personally, though we've crossed paths a few times...but I can't stop thinking about this. I was so excited to see him in the Dakar series, to see him in Baja, and at the ISDE's, it's selfish, but this feels like a huge loss to me.

He made me a better rider, and person, from watching him on and off the trail.

Prayers with his family and friends.
zook11
11/16/2013 12:03pm
Life is unfair.

RIP Kurt
PTECH
11/16/2013 12:10pm
RIP Kurt.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/16/2013 12:13pm

dirtnasty
11/16/2013 12:15pm
I've had the privilege of lining up with him at many hare n hounds. still can't believe what has happened. RIP to a true off-road legend, and all around great guy.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/16/2013 12:22pm

nytsmaC
11/16/2013 12:22pm
The guy was already a legend, he died doing what he loved while leading a historic race, I bet there isn't any other way he would have preferred to go out if given choices. What a tragic loss for all of the motorcycle community, rest in peace Kurt!

I'm glad to hear that it was in fact not a booby trap that was the cause of this.
Bytor
11/16/2013 12:30pm
If your gonna die, die with your boots on! Godspeed Kurt. You were one of the greats!
bigborefan
11/16/2013 12:34pm
He was gonna be an American threat at Dakar. Such a loss.

Rock on Kurt.
mx295
11/16/2013 12:44pm
I used to see Kurt all the time, He lived a few miles from me. Very sad day.
TeamGreen
11/16/2013 12:49pm
Titan1 wrote:
I posted this in the other thread...but I will post it here too. I did my best to emulate Kurt's riding style because he was the...
I posted this in the other thread...but I will post it here too.

I did my best to emulate Kurt's riding style because he was the best there was in the desert. But I remember the first time I watched one of his helmet cams from a NHHA race, and beyond the ridiculous speed the one thing that change me was that at every check point he ALWAYS said "thank you" to the course workers that marked his front fender. The biggest name in the sport, humble and polite enough to thank the course workers, it blew me away. So, of course, I started doing the same thing.

I remember at the 2nd Utah national hare and hound this past may....I was walking down the bomb run, and Kurt was walking up it...helmet on...but, without me saying anything to him (I didn't want to bug him) he was polite enough to say "hi" and "good luck today" as we passed to a perfect stranger. He was just down to earth and cool.

I didn't even know him personally, though we've crossed paths a few times...but I can't stop thinking about this. I was so excited to see him in the Dakar series, to see him in Baja, and at the ISDE's, it's selfish, but this feels like a huge loss to me.

He made me a better rider, and person, from watching him on and off the trail.

Prayers with his family and friends.
You made me cry...

That is soooo cool of you to post: that's EXACTLY WHO Kurt Is & Was.

Thank you,

Manny
Drtbykr
11/16/2013 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2013 1:01pm
There are past tragedies, this present one, and there will be future ones.

This is a real tough one, maybe because he was so versatile and seemed genuinely talented AND nice. AND ISDE Gold!

Wow, so sad. RIP and Godspeed Mr. Caselli.
11/16/2013 1:03pm
Mike sleeter just posted on his facebook that an animal walked out infront of Kurt and caused the crash
JM485
11/16/2013 1:05pm
Reading some of the testimonials people have posted about him really makes this hard. It's so sad we lost not only a great rider, but a great competitor as well. RIP Kurt.
HuskyEd
11/16/2013 1:11pm
Always thought this was a cool picture of Kurt. Showing off his sand/mud infested jersey at Southwick. Such a sad day.

RIP Kurt

JOHN CHOATE
11/16/2013 2:11pm
Anyone who has ever met him will know that he was one of a kind. Godspeed, Kurt.
malachi177
11/16/2013 2:21pm
Godspeed Kurt, a very sad day Sad He was an amazing person first, and a fantastic rider second.
velocitygear
11/16/2013 2:26pm
Godspeed Kurt!

It is clear, we have lost more than an epic rider, but an epic person as well!
Muzzle
11/16/2013 2:38pm
I hated hearing this news. Such a terrible loss. I really looked up to him as a rider and he was about the best ambassador for the sport that you could ask for. The world needs more people like Kurt.
bradnelson
11/16/2013 2:47pm
So sad. No words. Dude was a living legend. RIP Kurt. Sad

Post a reply to: RIP Kurt Caselli

The Latest