RIP Harold Hilbert

4mxonly
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 11:46am
The world lost a good man this weekend…Harold Hilbert, my dad, business partner, and best buddy succumbed to his short battle with cancer the morning of May 8th 2010. He was 74 years young.

It’s hard for me to believe that just a few short months ago I had a difficult time keeping up with the guy. He put in long days at Cobra; doing everything from working on machines, to designing and building race trailers, to ensuring that we had good relationships with all of our local suppliers. His passion, will, and energy at 70+ was simply incredible and will serve as inspiration to me and everyone else he worked with for the rest of our lives.

Of course, there were the races as well. He lived for heading to the track on the weekends and meeting up with the families and kids he loved so much. The attached picture epitomizes one of his favorite moments: At the start of each moto, he would go up and down the line, pat kids on the helmet, and wish them all good luck (it never mattered what color of bike they were riding). He also loved traveling to the big national events and keeping track of all the Cobra graduates as they made their way through their amateur careers.

He’ll be missed more than I have words for here.

A service will be held at the Holt United Methodist Church in Holt, Michigan Thursday May 13th at 3:00pm. Afterward, at 5:00pm, we will host an event celebrating his life at our family home. All are welcome.

In lieu of flowers, my dad asked that folks remember him by donating to the Michigan State University College of Engineering Scholarship Fund in his name. He was passionate about education, and this will help ensure that all kids who want an engineering education can earn one.

Regards,

Sean @ Cobra

My brother and I have had the privilege of knowing and working alongside Harold for a few years now. For those of you who have ever stopped by the Cobra rig at local, regional, or Amateur National Race, Harold is Sean's (president of Cobra) Dad and was undoubtedly Cobra's biggest fan; he could always be seen talking and entertaining young riders and their families. He was always smiling and had a reputation of extreme passion for Cobra and their riders. It's hard to image not seeing him at the races this summer, but his spirit will carry on through the great memories of every life he touched. Please keep Harold and the Hilberts in your thoughts and prayers.
|
sc961
5/10/2010 12:29pm
Condolences to your family.
Muezh
5/10/2010 12:38pm
god speed.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
5/10/2010 1:11pm
Sorry for your loss. I hope you can get through the times as best possible.

The Shop

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/10/2010 2:12pm
I feel for your loss. He sounds like a great man.
500guy
5/10/2010 2:52pm
RIP Harold. Condolences to his Family and friends.
BobbyM
5/10/2010 5:18pm
4mxonly wrote:
The world lost a good man this weekend…Harold Hilbert, my dad, business partner, and best buddy succumbed to his short battle with cancer the morning of...
The world lost a good man this weekend…Harold Hilbert, my dad, business partner, and best buddy succumbed to his short battle with cancer the morning of May 8th 2010. He was 74 years young.

It’s hard for me to believe that just a few short months ago I had a difficult time keeping up with the guy. He put in long days at Cobra; doing everything from working on machines, to designing and building race trailers, to ensuring that we had good relationships with all of our local suppliers. His passion, will, and energy at 70+ was simply incredible and will serve as inspiration to me and everyone else he worked with for the rest of our lives.

Of course, there were the races as well. He lived for heading to the track on the weekends and meeting up with the families and kids he loved so much. The attached picture epitomizes one of his favorite moments: At the start of each moto, he would go up and down the line, pat kids on the helmet, and wish them all good luck (it never mattered what color of bike they were riding). He also loved traveling to the big national events and keeping track of all the Cobra graduates as they made their way through their amateur careers.

He’ll be missed more than I have words for here.

A service will be held at the Holt United Methodist Church in Holt, Michigan Thursday May 13th at 3:00pm. Afterward, at 5:00pm, we will host an event celebrating his life at our family home. All are welcome.

In lieu of flowers, my dad asked that folks remember him by donating to the Michigan State University College of Engineering Scholarship Fund in his name. He was passionate about education, and this will help ensure that all kids who want an engineering education can earn one.

Regards,

Sean @ Cobra

My brother and I have had the privilege of knowing and working alongside Harold for a few years now. For those of you who have ever stopped by the Cobra rig at local, regional, or Amateur National Race, Harold is Sean's (president of Cobra) Dad and was undoubtedly Cobra's biggest fan; he could always be seen talking and entertaining young riders and their families. He was always smiling and had a reputation of extreme passion for Cobra and their riders. It's hard to image not seeing him at the races this summer, but his spirit will carry on through the great memories of every life he touched. Please keep Harold and the Hilberts in your thoughts and prayers.
damn man...losing dad is the shittiest. hope and faith to you and yours
one"O"three
5/10/2010 6:46pm
I am proud to have been able to call him a friend. He will be missed.
5/10/2010 6:55pm
One thing to take comfort in, he was able to spend just about every waking hour working side by side with the son he was so proud of for the last 6 years. I would give anything to have 6 more years with my father sharing my passion! RIP Harold!
AEIOU
5/10/2010 7:43pm
Sorry for your loss. I worked with my dad for the last 12 years in our family business and we lost him last year. I miss him everyday but like slowoldguy said your so lucky to have had the opportunity to be that close to your dad. RIP and keep the faith. He is watching over you.

Post a reply to: RIP Harold Hilbert

The Latest