RIP Eric Geboers

PJRAUS
5/8/2018 4:19am
AK74 wrote:
I'd have gone into the water to save the puppy too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/08/259788/s1200_Geboers.jpg[/img] (from Het Nieuwsblad)
I'd have gone into the water to save the puppy too.

(from Het Nieuwsblad)
What a great selection of photos!
I take my hat off to the man for giving his all for the puppy! Gutsy bloke..
PJRAUS
5/8/2018 4:23am
EZZA 95B wrote:
@PJRAUS, the pooches made me smileSmile
They make me smile everyday..best little mates I ever had..
a22
5/8/2018 4:24am
That picture of Eric with his puppies is really so beautiful- he has joy on his face and such a lovely smile.
a22
5/8/2018 9:10am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 9:13am
PJRAUS wrote:
These photos and videos are a great tribute to an awesome racer and a brave and selfless man who tried to save his dog...I totally get...
These photos and videos are a great tribute to an awesome racer and a brave and selfless man who tried to save his dog...I totally get why he jumped in to save the puppy...I would do the same

I've seen some criticism of Eric online for doing what he did....it's just such a shame he didn't succeed,save the dog ad live to tell the story...I can't imagine how his family and friends must feel right now...horrendous tragedy
Totally get what you are saying PJRAUS... good post.

My Mother has spent her whole life and all her money saving dogs... like dearest Eric she almost gave her life up for them.. spent all her money, lost 2 houses, set up foundations and stuff... then suffered a serious Heart Attack recently at Christmas... she almost died, probably from the stress of what she does, saving Dogs.Her work is unbelievable and how she never gives up- aged 70+ years old.

Here is one of the ones she saved- like your Dogs and Erics, incredibly cute and sweet, poor little thing was found by her strangely near a lake- she had just one eye, the other missing- so cute and she used to play with kids toys and insist on having then toys with her in her bed! She was tiny- and really clever also.

Would I jump in the lake- heck yea- with pleasure- whatever the result !

The Shop

line-up
5/8/2018 9:14am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 9:15am
https://youtu.be/igH1I87863o

Tribute to Eric Geboers

Belgian motocross legend Eric sadly passed away on 6 May in a tragic accident on a lake in northern Belgium. The legendary multi-time motocross champion is reported to have drowned while attempting to rescue his dog.
Eric Geboers was one of the many Belgian motocross icons and youngest member of the “Geboers clan” the eldest of whom, Sylvain, was the arch-rival of fellow countryman Joël Robert in the 250cc class, finishing runner up in 1969 and 1970 and third in 1968, 1971 and 1972. Actually, the young Eric started his racing career on the same day Sylvain participated in his last race. It was also the only time that all five brothers raced together at one same event.

Eric’s FIM World Championship career was launched in 1980 by Sylvain, who was the Suzuki factory team manager. He claimed victory in France during his second GP, becoming the youngest winner ever at that time. He finished his rookie year with a bronze medal. In the next three years he would climb the 125cc hierarchy: second in 1981, FIM World Champion in 1982 and 1983.

When Suzuki stopped their motocross activities in 1984, Eric switched from the yellow Suzuki to the red Honda and the 500cc class. It was a time when the class was the pinnacle of motocross racing and united such legendary names as André Malherbe (BEL), Dave Thorpe (GBR), Georges Jobé (BEL), Hakan Carlqvist (SWE) and Kurt Nicoll (GBR). Eric was competitive and going for bronze when a broken leg in the British GP stopped his momentum and he had to settle for fifth. It would be the only time in his 10 year career that he would not be in the top three of an FIM World Championship.

Nicknamed “The Kid” in the Honda Team, he finished third in 1985 and 1986. In 1987, he was sent as the sole Honda factory rider to the 250cc class. It proved to be the right move, with a third FIM World Championship to show for it at the end of the season.

The next year, he moved up again to the 500cc class, claiming his fourth FIM World Title after an intense battle with his team mate Dave Thorpe. This remarkable feat made him the only rider ever to be crowned in all three classes; “The Kid” had now become “Mister 875” (the sum of 125, 250 and 500). It also earned him the highest Belgian sports award; the “Trophée National du Mérite Sportif” which honours the best Belgian sports man of the year.

Dave Thorpe and Eric Geboers continued their battles in 1989. The Brit came out on top and the Belgian had to settle for third. Dave joined the Kawasaki factory team in 1990, whereas Eric remained with Honda. Their fierce rivalry persisted with Eric winning his fifth FIM World Championship at the famous Citadelle circuit of Namur. He immediately flew to Brussels for a live TV interview where he shocked the motocross community by announcing his retirement from competition at the end of the season. He won the US GP, the last event of the series, beating American Honda’s number one Ricky Johnson. Eric always said: “You are only as good as your last race…”

Eric Geboers also won the “Coupe des Nations” (FIM World Championship for national teams in the 125cc class) in 1983 and the world famous “Enduro du Touquet” in 1988, 1989 and 1990. Many years later he made a comeback to Motocross, teaming up with his brother at the helm of the Suzuki Motocross team working with riders Clément Desalle and Kevin Strijbos.

The FIM and the entire motorcycle community extend their deepest condolences to Eric Geboers’ family and friends.
5/8/2018 11:51am
line-up wrote:
https://youtu.be/igH1I87863o Tribute to Eric Geboers Belgian motocross legend Eric sadly passed away on 6 May in a tragic accident on a lake in northern Belgium. The...
https://youtu.be/igH1I87863o

Tribute to Eric Geboers

Belgian motocross legend Eric sadly passed away on 6 May in a tragic accident on a lake in northern Belgium. The legendary multi-time motocross champion is reported to have drowned while attempting to rescue his dog.
Eric Geboers was one of the many Belgian motocross icons and youngest member of the “Geboers clan” the eldest of whom, Sylvain, was the arch-rival of fellow countryman Joël Robert in the 250cc class, finishing runner up in 1969 and 1970 and third in 1968, 1971 and 1972. Actually, the young Eric started his racing career on the same day Sylvain participated in his last race. It was also the only time that all five brothers raced together at one same event.

Eric’s FIM World Championship career was launched in 1980 by Sylvain, who was the Suzuki factory team manager. He claimed victory in France during his second GP, becoming the youngest winner ever at that time. He finished his rookie year with a bronze medal. In the next three years he would climb the 125cc hierarchy: second in 1981, FIM World Champion in 1982 and 1983.

When Suzuki stopped their motocross activities in 1984, Eric switched from the yellow Suzuki to the red Honda and the 500cc class. It was a time when the class was the pinnacle of motocross racing and united such legendary names as André Malherbe (BEL), Dave Thorpe (GBR), Georges Jobé (BEL), Hakan Carlqvist (SWE) and Kurt Nicoll (GBR). Eric was competitive and going for bronze when a broken leg in the British GP stopped his momentum and he had to settle for fifth. It would be the only time in his 10 year career that he would not be in the top three of an FIM World Championship.

Nicknamed “The Kid” in the Honda Team, he finished third in 1985 and 1986. In 1987, he was sent as the sole Honda factory rider to the 250cc class. It proved to be the right move, with a third FIM World Championship to show for it at the end of the season.

The next year, he moved up again to the 500cc class, claiming his fourth FIM World Title after an intense battle with his team mate Dave Thorpe. This remarkable feat made him the only rider ever to be crowned in all three classes; “The Kid” had now become “Mister 875” (the sum of 125, 250 and 500). It also earned him the highest Belgian sports award; the “Trophée National du Mérite Sportif” which honours the best Belgian sports man of the year.

Dave Thorpe and Eric Geboers continued their battles in 1989. The Brit came out on top and the Belgian had to settle for third. Dave joined the Kawasaki factory team in 1990, whereas Eric remained with Honda. Their fierce rivalry persisted with Eric winning his fifth FIM World Championship at the famous Citadelle circuit of Namur. He immediately flew to Brussels for a live TV interview where he shocked the motocross community by announcing his retirement from competition at the end of the season. He won the US GP, the last event of the series, beating American Honda’s number one Ricky Johnson. Eric always said: “You are only as good as your last race…”

Eric Geboers also won the “Coupe des Nations” (FIM World Championship for national teams in the 125cc class) in 1983 and the world famous “Enduro du Touquet” in 1988, 1989 and 1990. Many years later he made a comeback to Motocross, teaming up with his brother at the helm of the Suzuki Motocross team working with riders Clément Desalle and Kevin Strijbos.

The FIM and the entire motorcycle community extend their deepest condolences to Eric Geboers’ family and friends.
Great to read all that, just before I got into mx so I missed this golden era of gp racing. 5 brothers in one event is a pretty awesome stat, probably never to be repeated. Impressive end to his racing career, and never a more apt use of the old saying.

RIP
Bearuno
5/8/2018 1:01pm
In the Everts interview, it was said "the dog saved itself".

As they generally do.

But heck, I'd expect I, and most people, would jump in after a dog / pup that went in the drink. Just a instant reaction if the environment / waterway you were in seems benign. You'd not realise that their coat is a damned site better insulator than what you have on. You'd just go for the animal.

We lost a dog over the side in a salt water river when I was a kid, and my dad stopped my big brother from going in after her as we had Sharks hanging around. Sure enough, the poor little thing ( a terrier) got made a meal of by (one of) the dirty great big Bull Sharks that were taking most of our catch that day.

It's such a sad, sad end to a magnificent mans life.
a22
5/8/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 1:38pm
I kind of wondered what happened to the little fella, if he made it despite brave Erics efforts -

yea- as Bearuno says, it probably would be ones natural reaction to save ones beloved pet not realising they maybe able to cope with the cold water better than we can.

Thank God also that Erics friend survived it when he too went in after Eric- also very brave and selfless. Could have been a double fatality.
ruy
5/8/2018 1:30pm
G-man
5/8/2018 2:13pm
AK74 wrote:
I'd have gone into the water to save the puppy too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/08/259788/s1200_Geboers.jpg[/img] (from Het Nieuwsblad)

(from Het Nieuwsblad)
PJRAUS wrote:
What a great selection of photos!
I take my hat off to the man for giving his all for the puppy! Gutsy bloke..
Oh man what tragic news and yes just seeing that picture of Eric with the Pups and his smile shows what a compassionate Man he was and obviously would do anything for them.

I video interviewed him at the USGP in Budds Creek in the early 90's and he was a very nice guy who gave me a great interview. You would never know he was a World Champion as he was very humble and polite.

I need to get it up on the web.

RIP Eric, You will not be forgotten.....
a22
5/8/2018 2:20pm
Yea- the little pup on the left with it paws all folded up is so cute, it looks so happy and relaxed as Eric does. Brings tears to the eyes.
robkinuk
5/10/2018 3:57am
It was an honour to receive a commission from Giuseppe Luongo of Youthstream, for the 2011 MXoN @ St Jean D'Angeley, France, celebrating Eric's career. Mr 875.
Last time we talked was at the Belgian Team after party at Matterley Basin, last October, sharing a cold Jupiler beer, talking about life, friends and moto!

Godspeed Eric..........

Ted722
5/11/2018 6:05am
Pit Pass Moto interviews Steve Wise on his thoughts / memories of Eric Geboers, Eric's brother Sylvain and the Europeans influence on the beginnings of Motocross in America and discusses mourning as well.

Geboers was a big part of my motocross memories from the 1980's. Of course, his presence in GP's was unforgettable, but I remember an off-season race where he, Micky Dymond, and I think RJ were racing a SX somewhere in Europe in late 1986 or '87. The contrast between Dymond's style and Geboer's couldn't have been more opposite. They were both running toward the front, but that was the epitome of American vs European. RIP Eric Geboers. Godspeed...

http://www.pitpassmoto.com/podcasts/steve-wise-former-honda-great-05-08…
a22
5/11/2018 7:16am
Think this maybe is that event you speak of- Eric led it, got a flier off the start. Cannot remember quite what happened but will watch it later! Maybe someone could embed link, not sure how to do it
Eric/ RJ /Dymond race 1987

Another interesting one, Eric vs. Bailey vs Jobe
1986 Superbiker Event
Ted722
5/11/2018 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 8:46pm
a22 wrote:
Think this maybe is that event you speak of- Eric led it, got a flier off the start. Cannot remember quite what happened but will watch...
Think this maybe is that event you speak of- Eric led it, got a flier off the start. Cannot remember quite what happened but will watch it later! Maybe someone could embed link, not sure how to do it
Eric/ RJ /Dymond race 1987

Another interesting one, Eric vs. Bailey vs Jobe
1986 Superbiker Event
That’s it! Thought that race was lost forever. Wore that VHS recording out BITD! My memory of that race was Dymond and Geboers. RJ had an amazing race, but I remember most Geboers and Dymond. Great race..even on the plywood! Wink

RIP Eric Geboers. Thanks for the memories. My dog Dungey and I salute.
ledger
5/11/2018 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 9:33pm
Delete.
ledger
5/11/2018 9:31pm
AK74 wrote:

(from Het Nieuwsblad)
^^^ Picture on the right makes my eyes water. What he did is hero status and I'm not talking motocross.
a22
5/14/2018 11:59am
ledger wrote:
^^^ Picture on the right makes my eyes water. What he did is hero status and I'm not talking motocross.
Something else brilliant and heroic that Eric did, I saw this when reading the news reports:-

Eric involving his helicopter passion, was to fly organ donations to hospitals, for vital life saving operations possibly and peoples recovery from illnesses.

What a brilliant man! I bet he got those organs there real quick as well, if his helicopter skills were as great as his riding, which they probably were!

What a great human being.
ruy
5/14/2018 3:37pm

Post a reply to: RIP Eric Geboers

The Latest