RIP 408 MX in silicon valley

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2017 1:15 PM

Really sad to hear, doesn't look good for no reason other than the fair ground don't want them there.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/24/beloved-motocross-track-closing-after-10-years/

|

12/24/2017 1:35 PM

Motocross is getting priced out of the market. $6,000 per acre per month is so out of touch.

Feel for the Bay Area riders.

|

12/24/2017 1:45 PM

KirkChandler wrote:

Motocross is getting priced out of the market. $6,000 per acre per month is so out of touch.

If I read it right, they want $6000 an acre for 10 acres. I am left wondering where they will find someone willing to shell out 60k a month for bare land.

|

12/24/2017 2:00 PM

This is the home track for me and several buddies. Disappointing to say the least. It was a blessing to have a motocross track nearby in the heart of such a busy and expensive place, but eventually I suppose greed wins. The track is part of a fairground, so my thoughts would be whoever is willing to come in and spend several thousand per acre per month is not going to offering anything fairground/athletic/activity related. This whole Bay Area is bullshit. I applaud the current owner for keeping the track open for as long as he could. His commitment to the track obviously was for the love of the sport and it's a drag to see 408 closing down.

|

12/24/2017 2:50 PM

I got a chance to ride there back in 2011 and can attest that it is was one of the best tracks in California. The dirt was dark tacky and awesome. It really is a shame it's going to shut down, and for no apparent reason other than greedy people.

|

12/24/2017 3:21 PM

Totally sucks! Lots of surrounding area's, Monterey, Hollister, Salinas guys would show up there 30-40 weekends a year as it was the closest moto track. Now they will need to go an additional hour further, not to mention those tracks might get slightly crowded.

|

12/24/2017 3:30 PM

It sounds like they just didn't want to have the track there anymore and the constant rising rents were just more nails in the coffin.

I am bummed since I just changed jobs and wanted to start riding there weekdays after work

|

12/24/2017 3:36 PM

That place used to be a great place for motorsports. Sucks all the "hugger/millenial queers" ran it out.

|

12/24/2017 4:14 PM

KirkChandler wrote:

BAMX wrote:

If I read it right, they want $6000 an acre for 10 acres. I am left wondering where they will find someone willing to shell out 60k a month for bare land.

Right near Glen Helen there is 20 acres being leased for 210,000 per month on a purchase option while the development company pays 600,000 for an EIR and they also have to pay 2.5 Million to Parks and Recreation just to get the property entitled and permitted(Hopefully) to develop.

That is why they havent closed the sale on it in almost 5 years because the agreed price is 44 million. Its cheaper to lease it, than buy it and not be able to build it out.

If the fairgrounds was considering selling to a developer, it's chump change.

|

12/24/2017 6:16 PM

On youtubes CBS bay area channel they interviewed Rick Ryan.

|

12/24/2017 7:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 7:09 PM

I'm on vacation in San Francisco right now and the longer I'm here, the more I question why anyone would choose to live here (if you make an average income). I love California and would love to live in the State, but fuuuuuuck the bay area. $3500-4000 for a one bedroom apartment? Completely insane. That's the numbers I've been getting from locals we've asked. I'd rather live in SoCal, despite how beautiful it is up here.

|

12/24/2017 7:21 PM

That's why people commute? Also, due to the fires, there is a huge inventory problem.

|

12/24/2017 8:23 PM

Never cared for the track being it was too tight for what I liked.

But that sucks. Im surprised 60K was the asking price, SJ has been overpriced since the 80s.

|

12/24/2017 8:27 PM

This sucks my son liked the track

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

12/24/2017 11:28 PM

So they ask for 10x the current rent, and when a investor steps forward to pay the bill they turn them away anyways? What a dick move.

Typical Bay Area. Im so glad to have left that area for good. Way too fucking expensive and the quality of life doesnt come close to justifying the price. The food may be great but that's about it.

One of the wealthiest regions in human history and despite all of their liberal beliefs, the roads suck, poor people suffering everywhere, the schools look like jails, and the local government is broke. Someone care to explain to me how a liberal city with so much wealth & taxes can have such a poor infrastructure? Im off topic. Sorry for my rant.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

12/25/2017 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 8:04 AM

I'm about 15 minutes from the track & it has been convenient to ride there. It's a shame there are some greedy people with money in the Bay Area. It is very expensive to live here with out a doubt & only the strong survive. I was born & raised here, but seriously contemplated moving out of the area a couple of years ago.
If I wasn't working for a corp making a 6 figure income I'd certainly wouldn't be able to afford to live here...

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/25/2017 9:43 AM

Six figures in the bay area is some mid level apartment life right?

Its absolutely ABSURD what people pay for rent or owning a home in the Bay Area .... makes even Los Angeles look ridiculously cheap.

|

12/25/2017 9:53 AM

Yeah, it's rediculous cost of living here, and getting anywhere is a nightmare.

For people in certain industries, there aren't many other places to live and have a good job

|

12/25/2017 9:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 10:00 AM

Yep. I had enough sense to buy a house in 2004 before they skyrocketed in 05-07. The house is now worth over a Mil. $ & there is no way I'd be able to afford the same house today. It's now worth double of what I got it for. One of my daughters lives in LA because she & her husband couldn't afford it out here with 2 little ones.
One of my nieces who graduated from UC Davis a few yrs. back is living with her boyfriend & 2 other roommates in a 3 bedroom apt.. That's the only way the younger kids coming out of college are able to afford it out here.
Unless you bought a home prior to 04 or your working for the corp giants like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple etc..
It's really not affordable to live here for the middle class... .

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/25/2017 10:19 AM

When I started going to Cabrillo I was living in a closet paying more than my central valley friends 4-5 bedroom houses were costing. Tried finding a motorcycle shop to work at and was in shock to only find a couple small shops between Watsonville and San Jose.

|

12/25/2017 12:02 PM

Circle the Wagons
Petition
Letters to the Mercury News from AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN GATHER
Etc., etc., etc. ...

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/25/2017 9:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 10:06 PM

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

12/25/2017 11:07 PM

There is a lot of land to the south towards Gilroy, Morgan Hill etc... easier spots to get to as well.
About 8 years ago a guy was set to open a track off 101 down that way but, their was a RV park near the location and it got shut down! Bummer as there is better dirt down that way....

Maybe someone can give that area another shot....It would be a great place for a track.

Also, sounds like the fairgrounds management folks are being total dicks doing the way they are doing it.

|

12/25/2017 11:33 PM

MOST good bike trails are reserved for snooty hikers and equestrians.

and ppl drive like peons here.

|

12/26/2017 8:24 AM

Real estate in California is out of hand. No wonder there are tent cities popping up everywhere

|

12/27/2017 8:09 AM

A motocross track that close to the bay area? Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

|

12/27/2017 8:42 AM

SrfNdirt wrote:

A motocross track that close to the bay area? Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Exactly ^^^.
Lots of people talking trash on the Bay Area and Silicon Valley but how many industry centers and metro areas have an MX track? Maybe a couple, but certainly not many.
"Crappy" Bay Area is also producing the Alta which someday may save MX. I rode 408mx a lot and I'm bummed too. But I'd pump the brakes on throwing the entire Bay Area under the bus.

|

12/28/2017 7:46 AM

KirkChandler wrote:

BAMX wrote:

Its not just dirt bikes and motocross, a price like that barely anyone could afford. I think they're better off finding a lot elsewhere or even buying their own property at that price.

|

12/28/2017 7:56 AM

Jabroni wrote:

So they ask for 10x the current rent, and when a investor steps forward to pay the bill they turn them away anyways? What a dick move.

Typical Bay Area. Im so glad to have left that area for good. Way too fucking expensive and the quality of life doesnt come close to justifying the price. The food may be great but that's about it.

One of the wealthiest regions in human history and despite all of their liberal beliefs, the roads suck, poor people suffering everywhere, the schools look like jails, and the local government is broke. Someone care to explain to me how a liberal city with so much wealth & taxes can have such a poor infrastructure? Im off topic. Sorry for my rant.

Spot on. Six months until I finish my degree and unless something drastic happens there's absolutely no way I will be able to stay or even want to stay. Born and raised on the peninsula so I've witnessed the place first hand turn to shit. Really is sad and turns a lot of people cynical..
Side note I personally was never a huge fan of 408, buuut they put the most work into their tack prep and were the most organized. 30 mins away from me too so that was a plus. RIP 408

|