RIP #210 Jonathan Mayzak

Phildo
Edited Date/Time 8/20/2019 4:35am
Privateer rider Jonathan Mayzak was struck by a drunk driver and has died as a result.

My condolences to anyone who knew him.

From Facebook:
“He was kept on life support so that his family could get there to say goodbye.
They were also hoping that his organs would stay stable through the night so that they could be donated.”

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Utica-man-arrested-charged-in-hitting…

A Utica man was arrested and is facing felony charges following a crash where he struck and seriously injured a pedestrian while on State Route 8 in the town of Columbus.

Town of Columbus -- A Utica man was arrested and is facing felony charges following a crash where he struck and seriously injured a pedestrian while on State Route 8 in the town of Columbus.

Just after 9:30 p.m. on Friday, State Police out of Oneonta arrested Edward D. Burnett of Utica for the felonies of Driving While Ability Impaired with child 15 or under as passenger (two counts) and Vehicular Assault in the second degree.

Troopers working a detail at the Unadilla Motocross event were dispatched to a pedestrian struck by a vehicle at approximately 8:53 p.m. Friday. Troopers located a 20-year-old male from Murrells Inlet, SC unconscious on the shoulder of State Route 8. An off-duty Sidney Police Officer was on scene tending to the victim and troopers assisted with first aid until paramedics arrived. The pedestrian was transported by ambulance to St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in critical condition.

An investigation by troopers at the scene revealed that Burnett displayed characteristics associated with impairment. Burnett had a 30-year-old female passenger and two children in the vehicle, ages 8 and 4. Burnett was subsequently arrested and arraigned in the town of Columbus court where he was remanded to the Chenango County Jail on $100,000 cash bail or $200,000 bond.
|
8/11/2019 10:48am
This is heartbreaking. I saw his family's post on Facebook. Just awful.
dimetime
8/11/2019 11:02am
Christ, how awful. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

The Shop

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
8/11/2019 11:31am
RIP, he was well thought of! Such a loss...
8/11/2019 3:42pm
Jonathan was training at JWTF back in 2015 when a buddy and I went down to ride. Ended up hanging out with him most of the week. He was just a goofy 16 year-old kid chasing his dream. Saw him riding for the first time since then last weekend and he was absolutely hauling! RIP Mayzak #424.
500guy
8/11/2019 4:32pm
Really terrible news, does anyone know what He was doing? was he out there with car trouble, walking etc?
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
8/11/2019 4:35pm
This is awful. Makes me want to be sick. Just months away from getting married too. Godspeed 210!
chippo
8/11/2019 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2019 4:40pm
Terrible news and such a tragic loss which could have been avoided, condolences to his family and friends RIP #210.
Naanak
8/11/2019 6:05pm
500guy wrote:
Really terrible news, does anyone know what He was doing? was he out there with car trouble, walking etc?
I heard he just went over to will call as it’s on the other side of the road from the pits. RIP.
Jharper
8/11/2019 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2019 8:37pm
I was going to wait to post till I’d given it some thought. It’s hard to believe still. I’ve known Jonathan since he was a 4 year old ripper on a Cobra 50. His family loved and trained at Durhamtown for years and invited me on their first road to loretta’s With them. It was amazing to watch this kid ride believe me. He had tons of natural talent and the work ethic to go with it. I’ve never met a more humble and fun loving kid. He could shred too. His family is doing a memorial get together tonight in celebration of his short, but well lived life. He has been racing Canadian outdoors and Ax here with this year being his rookie outdoor season in the states. He was headed for truly great things. It’s a terrible loss for the Moto community.

He was just down in Florida (when we took the funny stoppie meme) visiting a few months ago. He told me of a new business he was starting along with his father and looking forward to the switch to KTMs. I can’t put into words how much of a loss this is to the community. All because of an idiot that decided to drive drunk. He was up in New York visiting his brother we was on leave from the marines.

Edit: for some reason the other pictures won’t load

Jharper
8/11/2019 8:38pm
Jonathan was training at JWTF back in 2015 when a buddy and I went down to ride. Ended up hanging out with him most of the...
Jonathan was training at JWTF back in 2015 when a buddy and I went down to ride. Ended up hanging out with him most of the week. He was just a goofy 16 year-old kid chasing his dream. Saw him riding for the first time since then last weekend and he was absolutely hauling! RIP Mayzak #424.
Man goofy is an understatement Smile he will always be 424 to me as well
mb
8/12/2019 5:56am
Such a tragic loss, a hardworking man both on and off the track. When I heard the news I couldn’t believe it.

RIP JM210
sandman768
8/12/2019 6:27am
Condolences to the family. Tragic and totally unnecessary, I have spent many nights at Unadilla and witnessed people speeding past on Rt 8, the country road that splits the facility. It’s nothing new, if I remember correctly Gaylon Moiser was killed out that way while training on his bicycle back in 1980. Seems like a parked trooper or sheriff vehicle with lights on would be enough to make motorist realize there is heavy pedestrian presence during The Weekend.
God speed Moto brother....
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/12/2019 4:42pm
PRO MOTOCROSS MOURNS LOSS OF RACER JONATHAN MAYZAK

MORGANTOWN, W.VA. (August 12, 2019) - MX Sports Pro Racing is saddened to report the tragic loss of AMA Pro Motocross racer Jonathan Mayzak, of Murrells Inlet, South Carolina. The 20-year-old racer died yesterday as a result of injuries sustained Friday night before the Unadilla National in New Berlin, New York, when he was struck by a vehicle while crossing the road in front of the paddock on Route 8. State Police have charged the 31-year old man operating the vehicle with driving while drug-impaired and vehicular assault. More charges are expected as a result of Jonathan’s death.

Jonathan Mayzak
April 24, 1999 - August 11, 2019

Jonathan first competed on a national stage in 2006 when he earned a gate at the 2006 AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship at Loretta Lynn’s in the 51cc (4-6) Class, and again in 2015 in Open Pro Sport. In 2016 Jonathan earned his professional motocross license and was assigned #210. This year the #210 competed in the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship in four events in the 250 Class, including the inaugural Florida National and historic Southwick National, making the “Fast 40” in both.

Jonathan and his fiancé, Kenzie Hebbelman, were planning to marry in October and take a cruise for their honeymoon. In addition to Kenzie, Jonathan is survived by his parents and several siblings, two of which are in the military serving our country. In death, as in life, Jonathan was kind and generous, as he was an organ donor, and as a result of his generosity, others will be able to continue their life journey.

Burial services have not yet been announced. Updates will follow as soon as available.

God Speed, Jonathan. Your motocross family will miss you. Words cannot explain the heartbreak felt in our paddock today.
ktm300hater
8/12/2019 4:54pm
I want to thumbs down the whole post, just because I have nothing to say that hasn't been said already. Sad. Rip and prayers and good thoughts for the family
Jharper
8/12/2019 7:46pm
I found some more pictures of when I first met them today. Jonathan was a fun loving goofball even when he was on 50s. You can see his little sister in the background here as well.

Jharper
8/12/2019 7:53pm
His style never did change much Smile

8/12/2019 8:18pm
In addition, it's terrible a 4 and 8 year old were in the vehicle. More than likely, their mother was driving. Terrible all around.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
8/12/2019 8:47pm
Damn..he was from SC too. Absolutely tragic man. Wishing his family all the best
TG130
8/12/2019 9:52pm
500guy wrote:
Naanak wrote:
I heard he just went over to will call as it’s on the other side of the road from the pits. RIP.
RIP.

Maybe the track officials need to do something about their facilities being in such an area where they have to cross a well traveled road to do business. I didn't realize Unadilla was like that. Virtually all tracks I have ever been to have their facilities well off the beaten path and away from major roads like that.

Having been nearly hit before, I do not walk or ride a bike along roads like that anymore. Too many drunks, psycho drivers and idiots on their cell phones these days.
Crossup
8/13/2019 4:56am
sandman768 wrote:
Condolences to the family. Tragic and totally unnecessary, I have spent many nights at Unadilla and witnessed people speeding past on Rt 8, the country road...
Condolences to the family. Tragic and totally unnecessary, I have spent many nights at Unadilla and witnessed people speeding past on Rt 8, the country road that splits the facility. It’s nothing new, if I remember correctly Gaylon Moiser was killed out that way while training on his bicycle back in 1980. Seems like a parked trooper or sheriff vehicle with lights on would be enough to make motorist realize there is heavy pedestrian presence during The Weekend.
God speed Moto brother....
This is very sad news. My prayers for Jonathan and his family.

RIP Jonathan.

I was also sadly reminded of Gaylon Mosier's untimely death at 26 years old nearby Unadilla. He he was on a training ride on his bicycle up near Rochester when he was hit by a truck. Gaylon was one of my favorite racers and a really nice guy that would take the time to chat with a kid like me. I walked the track before practice with him in 1979 and was looking forward to seeing him at the 1980 Trans-AMA. This is what I found when I got to the Kawi box vans.

MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
8/13/2019 5:15am
Terrible man. The guy that hit him deserves life in prison. So shitty
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
8/13/2019 5:17am
500guy wrote:
Naanak wrote:
TG130 wrote:
RIP. Maybe the track officials need to do something about their facilities being in such an area where they have to cross a well traveled road...
RIP.

Maybe the track officials need to do something about their facilities being in such an area where they have to cross a well traveled road to do business. I didn't realize Unadilla was like that. Virtually all tracks I have ever been to have their facilities well off the beaten path and away from major roads like that.

Having been nearly hit before, I do not walk or ride a bike along roads like that anymore. Too many drunks, psycho drivers and idiots on their cell phones these days.
Not to derail the thread but I’m with you. If I’m going to bike I’ll take my mountain bike into the trails. No road biking for me. Can’t trust anyone driving now a days.
willie838
8/13/2019 5:56am
The reason it is sketchy is that it's not super controlled until race day.

I was there in like.... 96? And slept in our van with my father and friend across the road. Obviously as had bikes and were back and forth across the road dozens of times.

99 percent of locals treat it carefully cause their is just so much foot traffic on race day, but when it's scarce on a Thursday or Friday, people do sail through there.

It can be one of those studder step, "I think he's gonna stop and it just didn't happen.... Who knows.

Terrible tragedy though. Rip.

Post a reply to: RIP #210 Jonathan Mayzak

The Latest