RD5 vs. MC15

halfe316
4/30/2010 9:40am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:57am
This is all in fun so keep it light yo!

top 5 reasons MC15 had a better rookie season
5. Bradshaw, Stanton, Bayle, Cooper, LaRocco, Kiedrowski, Matiasevich(count the titles among those) they lined up every night...MC destroyed them...
4. 1993 Cr 250(badass mofo...take that todd potter)
3. he passed the defending champ, then beat him repeatedly, he didn't 'almost' beat him, once...
2. BMX kid turned dirtbike legend, it's just a better story...
1. 100% Cotton Jerseys

top 5 reason RD5 won this year...
5. he won...a couple races
4. he almost beat the upright defending champ, once, almost...
3. twitter, racerx, transworld, vitalmx, tv...its easier now
2. his heavily criticized NIKE boots didn't break his legs when he bailed
1. He won...thats all that matters...

I like RD5, he is a great champion(minus a meltdown a few weeks ago that required screaming at Josh Hill). MC was beast and those of us who care about this sport should remind the babies what legend is...RD5 will have to win 6 more titles in a way more impressive fashion to ever be close to remembered in the same sentence as MC. It won't happen...

kachoww!
|
Hank_Thrill
4/30/2010 9:49am
100% cotton jerseys LOL.

One thing Dungey has on MC though, is that he survived a class series (450) in a class that inevitably wiped out most of the best riders in the world. How many riders were lost due to injuries on 250s, in 93? The only big crash I can recall is Stanton's endo over one of the triples in Pontiac (not sure how many races, if any, it took him out of though).
motomike137
Two different eras... tracks have changed... 2smokes vs 4strokes... hard to compare... but MC would own the Dungey
dv12.com
Fantasy
181st
Let it go bud. Dungey is RD for now and McGrath is the King... I won the same amount of SXs than Emig but I was never champ... U forgot to put than MC wished he had RD's bonus in 93... ;-)
rmpilot
4/30/2010 9:51am
so whats the problem with cotton jerseys?

The Shop

jasonv43
4/30/2010 9:52am
halfe316 wrote:
This is all in fun so keep it light yo! [b]top 5 reasons MC15 had a better rookie season[/b] 5. Bradshaw, Stanton, Bayle, Cooper, LaRocco, Kiedrowski...

5. Bradshaw, Stanton, Bayle, Cooper, LaRocco, Kiedrowski, Matiasevich(count the titles among those) they lined up every night...MC destroyed them...
3. he passed the defending champ, then beat him repeatedly, he didn't 'almost' beat him, once...
1. 100% Cotton Jerseys

I like RD5, he is a great champion(minus a meltdown a few weeks ago that required screaming at Josh Hill). MC was beast and those of us who care about this sport should remind the babies what legend is...RD5 will have to win 6 more titles in a way more impressive fashion to ever be close to remembered in the same sentence as MC. It won't happen...

kachoww!
Bradshaw - Mentally not into the 93 season.
Stanton - One year away from retirement.
Bayle - Did he race that year?
Cooper - Crowd favorite but not a title contender.
Kiedrowski - He was the only real threat that year.
Chicken - The downward sprial had already begun that year.

Keep in mind that MC is my all time fav but I really don't think he had that much competition that year.
jasonv43
4/30/2010 10:00am
dv12.com wrote:
Let it go bud. Dungey is RD for now and McGrath is the King... I won the same amount of SXs than Emig but I was...
Let it go bud. Dungey is RD for now and McGrath is the King... I won the same amount of SXs than Emig but I was never champ... U forgot to put than MC wished he had RD's bonus in 93... ;-)
2000 AMA EA Sports Supercross

1. Jeremy McGrath (372 - Champion)
2. David Vuillemin (337)
3. Mike LaRocco (302)
4. Kevin Windham (278)
5. Ricky Carmichael (263)

That was your year man. Finishing runner up to the king and beating the rock, the smoothest rider ever and the goat is no small task.
jimid553
4/30/2010 10:04am
MC had also dominated the 125 W for 2 consecutive seasons before 1993. He was one of the best SX 125 riders ever. The bikes and tracks were different but racing was the same then as it is now. He made everyone look stupid for a lot of years. To me RD looked less champion like than Ferry did in 1997....at least Ferry was trying at every race and didn't look overwhelmed and have meltdowns.
4/30/2010 10:06am
Stewart raced the first three rounds and Dungey beat him 2 out of the 3 races. Yes, Stewart and Reed had the incident at round 2 and that caused Stewart to get 15th but Dungey beat him the following week. I know that he was suffering from a not yet discovered broken wrist in that third race but you can't say that Dungey didn't give him a run for his money.
jasonv43
4/30/2010 10:16am
jimid553 wrote:
MC had also dominated the 125 W for 2 consecutive seasons before 1993. He was one of the best SX 125 riders ever. The bikes and...
MC had also dominated the 125 W for 2 consecutive seasons before 1993. He was one of the best SX 125 riders ever. The bikes and tracks were different but racing was the same then as it is now. He made everyone look stupid for a lot of years. To me RD looked less champion like than Ferry did in 1997....at least Ferry was trying at every race and didn't look overwhelmed and have meltdowns.
So your saying that Dungey won a championship without even trying? Wow!!!
I can't wait till he actually starts trying then.
txmxer
4/30/2010 10:27am
dv12.com wrote:
Let it go bud. Dungey is RD for now and McGrath is the King... I won the same amount of SXs than Emig but I was...
jasonv43 wrote:
2000 AMA EA Sports Supercross 1. Jeremy McGrath (372 - Champion) [b]2. David Vuillemin (337) [/b] 3. Mike LaRocco (302) 4. Kevin Windham (278) 5. Ricky...

2. David Vuillemin (337)
3. Mike LaRocco (302)
4. Kevin Windham (278)

That was your year man. Finishing runner up to the king and beating the rock, the smoothest rider ever and the goat is no small task.
dv12 had a pretty good year going in '02 as well...until he took himself out before Daytona.

Guess we should put an asterisk next RC's name for his '02 championship.
hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
4/30/2010 11:14am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2010 11:15am
Hard to sit here and read that MC would own Dungey. There is no doubt that MC was leaps and bounds better than the next best rider for a few years there, he also took the sport to an entirely new level. That being said, The level of racing and the pure speed is much higher than in MC's heyday. Yes I know the bikes are better but the level of riding has jumped more-so. Testing, training, and all that stuff now is done by everyone on the line, not just the "factory guys". I think MC in his prime would be hard pressed to make top 5's present day. Look back at video's from the early 90's and look at now. The level of the riders then doesnt even come close to now.
txmxer
4/30/2010 11:22am
hartebreak wrote:
Hard to sit here and read that MC would own Dungey. There is no doubt that MC was leaps and bounds better than the next best...
Hard to sit here and read that MC would own Dungey. There is no doubt that MC was leaps and bounds better than the next best rider for a few years there, he also took the sport to an entirely new level. That being said, The level of racing and the pure speed is much higher than in MC's heyday. Yes I know the bikes are better but the level of riding has jumped more-so. Testing, training, and all that stuff now is done by everyone on the line, not just the "factory guys". I think MC in his prime would be hard pressed to make top 5's present day. Look back at video's from the early 90's and look at now. The level of the riders then doesnt even come close to now.
No offense but I disagree 100%. Mc handled KW in the 90's, pretty sure if he were in the mix today he would still be the man.

The best guys would be at the top in any generation.

Funny thing about competition, when someone is kicking ass it always looks like there is no comp.
cpj36
4/30/2010 11:24am
Different era but at least Dungey is facing current era riders.
burnside
4/30/2010 11:34am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:31pm
MC wins.

He won races AND did nac nacs on the last lap, starred in free style videos, 'played' on his motorcycle, dived out of helicopters, could string a sentence together and even had his own rookie year rap song! haha.. J-J-J-J-eremy, Jeremy, Jeremy... Jeremy McGraaaath.. Surprised clips from Showtime hasn't surfaced on here or youtube!

Can you imagine how good a champion like that would be in this day an age? Minus the shit rap song.

i know the money wasn't as good, but man, looked like the pros of the 90s had a lot of fun off of the track compared to these modern day athletes!
jasonv43
4/30/2010 11:55am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:31pm
hartebreak wrote:
Hard to sit here and read that MC would own Dungey. There is no doubt that MC was leaps and bounds better than the next best...
Heartbreak Kid,

Don't think for one second that if you took MC in his Prime and plugged him into today's series that he wouldn't evolve and adapt better than just about anybody out there. Of course things were different back then. But Jeremy had the type of talent to adapt to any situation.

MX might be a different story but SX? Forget about it.
Outsider
4/30/2010 11:56am
txmxer wrote:
No offense but I disagree 100%. Mc handled KW in the 90's, pretty sure if he were in the mix today he would still be the...
No offense but I disagree 100%. Mc handled KW in the 90's, pretty sure if he were in the mix today he would still be the man.

Funny thing about competition, when someone is kicking ass it always looks like there is no comp.
Absofuckinlutely...
burnside
4/30/2010 11:58am
hartebreak wrote:
And how do you think Dungey would do transplanted back into 1993? My guess is MC would have kicked his ass but its all pretty nonsensical without a time machine.
CR250Rider
4/30/2010 11:59am
dv12.com wrote:
jasonv43 wrote:
2000 AMA EA Sports Supercross 1. Jeremy McGrath (372 - Champion) [b]2. David Vuillemin (337) [/b] 3. Mike LaRocco (302) 4. Kevin Windham (278) 5. Ricky...

2. David Vuillemin (337)
3. Mike LaRocco (302)
4. Kevin Windham (278)

seems strange to see KW14 in that list

how old is he?????
adamdf
4/30/2010 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2010 12:07pm
First off, let me just say this conversation is retarded and here is why, its two different eras and so much of the kids RD is racing are home grown machines bread for motocross, everything is down to a science in 2010, in 1993 it was the guy that had it "all figured out" that won, and that was MC, that is what made MC so great, he just had everyone covered. I am not saying talent does not play a role because it plays a huge role, but the sport has grown so much now and the talent pool is so much larger, and as i said, these kids dont have to "figure it out" every last one of them (at the top) has a trainer and it is more of a science than being a bad ass on a bike ( which was MC) now. So with that in mind, RD had tons of competition to deal with, it is all relative to the era.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
4/30/2010 12:10pm
hartebreak wrote:
txmxer wrote:
No offense but I disagree 100%. Mc handled KW in the 90's, pretty sure if he were in the mix today he would still be the...

you honestly think if MC was racing right now he would be "the man"?
jasonv43
4/30/2010 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:31pm
You honestly think he wouldn't?

Ozy
4/30/2010 12:19pm
In theory I like the idea behind this thread but the reality is that all that comes of it is arguing over a point of view and speculation that can not be proven.

DV12 had the best reply in here.

Congratulations to Ryan Dungey 2010 SX Champion. RD worked his tail off to earn this title and nobody can take anything away from him because your hero's had some bad luck and were not able to finish the season.
IceMan446
4/30/2010 12:21pm
MC is the KING for a reason. And part of that reason is what he did to the comp that first year. Destroyed them all
jasonv43
4/30/2010 12:27pm
It was the word ever that you had a problem with huh? With all this technology we have today there has got to be a way to simulate these arguments.

A simulated race of champions!!!
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
4/30/2010 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2010 12:40pm
jasonv43 wrote:

MC wasnt setting the world on fire in 03-05. I cant imagine a 2010 MC getting much done
jasonv43
4/30/2010 12:42pm
I'm not talking about 03-05. Try anywhere between 93-96, hell 97 for that matter and 98-99.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
4/30/2010 12:47pm
halfe316 wrote:
This is all in fun so keep it light yo! [b]top 5 reasons MC15 had a better rookie season[/b] 5. Bradshaw, Stanton, Bayle, Cooper, LaRocco, Kiedrowski...

1. 100% Cotton Jerseys

kachoww!
So youre saying take the 96 McGrath and put him in a race with his skill then? He would still get worked. Maybe a prime jeremy with a few yearsof practice he would be decent
chrisbuehler
4/30/2010 12:48pm
jasonv43 wrote:

Funny that pic looks to be from the '93 Nats when MC got handled by Doug Henry. Doug would show at NESC races when he was factory Honda. Being 15 at the time and he was a God
ReedyMX
4/30/2010 1:35pm
Ok so Dungey is being compared to the king.
Dungey must be pretty special to be even close to being compared.
Maybe we could call him the prince.
Dungey has a long way to go.
If he wins to 450MX as a rookie he will do something very special that no one has ever done and maybe never will do again a record of all records.

To win 450MX and 450SX in your rookie year WOW!!

Post a reply to: RD5 vs. MC15

The Latest