RD5 vs. ET3 "Taken or Given"

davistld01
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 2:52am
This is a quote from Jason Weigandt's article on RacerX "Taken or Given."...

"Ryan Dungey had the lead, in a must-win situation, and he failed to win. In fact, once Tomac got him, he didn’t come back with vigor (or contact) that a desperate man in a desperate situation would be expected to do. Go think of Chad Reed, Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Stanton or Bob Hannah in that situation. Maybe they wouldn’t have beaten Tomac, either, but you know they would have either rammed him or crashed trying to keep up."

I'd never thought about RD's performance at SLC like that until I read this...and I thought "Yeah, why didn't he go after him and either pass him or crash him trying? Why did he let Eli embarrass him like that?"

What do you guys think? I know all about Dungey being Dungey & him being a nice guy & professional and all that...but, damn!
|
Dtat720
4/27/2017 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 1:26pm
At the end of the day, its just a dirt bike race.... that quote from Dungey says everything everyone needs to know. Risking life and limb at an early age is not worth it. Tomac is faster. He recognizes this fact and has accepted it.
4/27/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 1:42pm
Exactly. Dude's been a great role model and ambassador for the sport, why throw that away with an immature take-out move that would be extremely uncharacteristic of him to do? He's won championships, he's made his money, he's not "desperate" for shit.

Remember when Reed purposely tried to take out JS7 at Las Vegas? JS7 was clearly faster that year, and the only way Chad could win the championship was to crash him out, and Chad looked like an asshole for taking that approach. Dungey is smarter than that.
Acidreamer
4/27/2017 1:39pm
He accepted defeat. From a spectator pov, dungey shuts down when he meets his maker. RV, Roczen, now Tomac. He just sortof lets them go without much of a fight. Hes literally too nice of a guy to take the title.
mauidex
4/27/2017 1:39pm
Dtat720 wrote:
At the end of the day, its just a dirt bike race.... that quote from Dungey says everything everyone needs to know. Risking life and limb...
At the end of the day, its just a dirt bike race.... that quote from Dungey says everything everyone needs to know. Risking life and limb at an early age is not worth it. Tomac is faster. He recognizes this fact and has accepted it.
SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

The Shop

Fourth_Floor
4/27/2017 2:01pm
I wouldn't stick a fork in him just yet..

He has been the only guy for the past several years that is able to consistently go fast. Sure, there has been faster guys on the track but they don't make it the whole season. I would expect there to be a fire lit for these last two rounds.
Forty
4/27/2017 2:03pm
davistld01 wrote:
This is a quote from Jason Weigandt's article on RacerX "Taken or Given."... "Ryan Dungey had the lead, in a must-win situation, and he failed to...

"Ryan Dungey had the lead, in a must-win situation, and he failed to win. In fact, once Tomac got him, he didn’t come back with vigor (or contact) that a desperate man in a desperate situation would be expected to do. Go think of Chad Reed, Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Stanton or Bob Hannah in that situation. Maybe they wouldn’t have beaten Tomac, either, but you know they would have either rammed him or crashed trying to keep up."

I'd never thought about RD's performance at SLC like that until I read this...and I thought "Yeah, why didn't he go after him and either pass him or crash him trying? Why did he let Eli embarrass him like that?"

What do you guys think? I know all about Dungey being Dungey & him being a nice guy & professional and all that...but, damn!
What should he have done? Keeping in mind that Eli has RD covered right now he could....

Take out Eli and hope he doesn't take himself out also?

Attempt to take out Eli, F it up and take himself out opening up a huge gap in points.

Take out the 3 and possibly hurt him in the process. (Craig/Martin)

RD did what RD is wired to do, finish in the best position he can on any given night.

I know the aggressive riding is what everyone likes to see but his personality just doesn't allow him to make that move naturally.

I do believe we will see something wild (wild for Dungey) from him before this ends.

MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
4/27/2017 2:04pm
I wouldn't stick a fork in him just yet.. He has been the only guy for the past several years that is able to consistently go...
I wouldn't stick a fork in him just yet..

He has been the only guy for the past several years that is able to consistently go fast. Sure, there has been faster guys on the track but they don't make it the whole season. I would expect there to be a fire lit for these last two rounds.
Dude I think you're in denial!!!

The question being asked is how much is a title worth to RD5?

The answer? Not enough to make it happen any way possible.
Forty
4/27/2017 2:05pm
Exactly. Dude's been a great role model and ambassador for the sport, why throw that away with an immature take-out move that would be extremely uncharacteristic...
Exactly. Dude's been a great role model and ambassador for the sport, why throw that away with an immature take-out move that would be extremely uncharacteristic of him to do? He's won championships, he's made his money, he's not "desperate" for shit.

Remember when Reed purposely tried to take out JS7 at Las Vegas? JS7 was clearly faster that year, and the only way Chad could win the championship was to crash him out, and Chad looked like an asshole for taking that approach. Dungey is smarter than that.
I remember thinking at the time it looked like a lame attempt and I was embarrassed for Reed.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/27/2017 2:09pm
Who gives a damn what Jason Weigandt says.
4/27/2017 2:10pm
There are still two races left, its a little early to give Eli the crown.
cameron96
4/27/2017 2:10pm
wgat if dunge tried to take Eli high and it backfired, dunge does down and losses a couple positions.

Once Tomac caught up, Dungey knew he was going to get second that night. Let's take it and try again next weekend
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
4/27/2017 2:11pm
Exactly. Dude's been a great role model and ambassador for the sport, why throw that away with an immature take-out move that would be extremely uncharacteristic...

I think it's different because this is the end of the year and defeat is imminent. At the end of the day, contact racing is still racing, a champion is still the champion. I see ET having no problem with RD getting aggressive with him, Eli can handle his own and so can Ryan, really. It's up to Ryan to pull that trigger which I think he won't do, even though I definitely think he should if he wants to win this thing.
ti473
4/27/2017 2:24pm
Can we just talk about all this after Vegas? remember when the championship was basically over after round 2?
Flip109
4/27/2017 2:27pm
The fire is freshly lit in eli. It's dying down in Dungey. That's my take on it.
Flip109
4/27/2017 2:28pm
ti473 wrote:
Can we just talk about all this after Vegas? remember when the championship was basically over after round 2?
Truth
dirtnapper
4/27/2017 2:41pm
Flip109 wrote:
The fire is freshly lit in eli. It's dying down in Dungey. That's my take on it.
Agreed.

I very much disagree with the OP - Tomac did NOT "embarress" Dungey.

That is fanboy talk.....
.Rick
4/27/2017 2:48pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Agreed.

That is fanboy talk.....
Agreed. Wasn't a great night for Dunge but still held down second and he rode well. The word "embarrassed" if used suites 722 more. I think the broadcast showed him getting lapped at least 3 times. At some point we need to start pulling guys off the track.
Dtat720
4/27/2017 3:19pm
Flip109 wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
Agreed.

That is fanboy talk.....
Opinions vary.. but Dungey got pulled like a regular joe. Respectable 2nd. Sure. But he got reeled in and passed and gapped and put up zero effort to stop it. That is why i feel he is riding it out to the end. Win or lose, he makes it out injury free and doesnt look back. If i were in his shoes, i would do the same exact thing. Risk vs reward isnt worth it. I have a feeling it will be same show outdoors as well but having Webb and Bagget to deal with as well.

Nothing wrong with what Dungey is doing. Nothing at all. He has his legacy etched already. Finish out his contract and ride within his limits and take home the check. End of the year, thank DeCoster and his fans, go home and start a family. Not a bad plan at all
davistld01
4/27/2017 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 3:31pm
Flip109 wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
Agreed.

That is fanboy talk.....
If you paid attention to anything I've ever posted about Ryan Dungey, you'd know that I'm far from a Tomac fanboy. In fact, I'm a much bigger fan of Dungey than I've ever been of ET...so when I say Tomac "embarassed" Dungey, I meant that Tomac passed him with authority and Dungey never had anything that looked like something for him from that point on. Did you see Eli roll up on Ryan in the whoops section? Unreal. I'm sure Ryan will be a bit "embarassed" by Eli being able to dominate him like that when he watches the films this week. It's reality, not fanboy talk at all. I wish it wasn't true. I wish Ryan could have kept him at bay the whole race...but he could do nothing like that at all. Sad but true.

That said, Dungey has nothing to be embarassed about. He has beaten the best consistantly. He has been on the podium more often than practically anyone in racing history, and has always carried himself professionally...and like a consumate champion. He is a champion and will always be a champion. But, every champion has come to a point in his career where someone is simply hungrier...has more passion, and this is the time for Ryan Dungey. It's simply evolution.
tuggy450
4/27/2017 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 3:33pm
Bradshaw lost the title in the last round to Stanton. I think he had 9 wins that year. All it takes is one bad race or mistake.
JB151MX
4/27/2017 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 3:34pm
We still got two races boyz... If eli does win tho, it was most def taken... Dung would never give anyone a chip! Or any rider for that matter! No one says i give up... Here, not if they made it this far!
4/27/2017 3:56pm
ti473 wrote:
And when the title was over again after the fourth round.
cali11
4/27/2017 4:05pm
I thought the Dungey fans said only reason Eli won was because he is use to high altitudes? I'm confused now?
ledger
4/27/2017 4:19pm
Will be interesting to see what Dungey does this Saturday, I would think Aldon has him banging gears through the whoops if he wants this title bad enough.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/27/2017 4:22pm
davistld01 wrote:
This is a quote from Jason Weigandt's article on RacerX "Taken or Given."... "Ryan Dungey had the lead, in a must-win situation, and he failed to...

Chad Reed, Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Stanton and Bob Hannah have never been in this situation so how would he even know? Nor did he embarrass him.

Phantom 661
4/27/2017 4:25pm
cali11 wrote:
I thought the Dungey fans said only reason Eli won was because he is use to high altitudes? I'm confused now?
You deserve to be confused.
Johnny Ringo
4/27/2017 4:25pm
Rule 1 of MX takeouts is never take anyone out who is faster than you..
Phantom 661
4/27/2017 5:38pm
davistld01 wrote:

Well, Dungey is not like any of the riders mentioned in Jason's article. RD has said in the past that he doesn't like unnecessary hard contact racing. He's not going to risk a possible championship with a move like Reed pulled on James one year.

As for Dungey being embarrassed about Eli passing him coming from way back? Well, he might be but Ryan's demeanor seems different then when Villopoto was beating him. He doesn't seem to be too upset about it.... at least not publicly. I believe he's just finishing up the year and is looking forward to life after racing. It's just how I read him anyway. I'd be surprised if he signs again.

I'm a huge Dungey fan. He's the smartest racer I've ever seen. I hope he gets that 4th championship. However, if Eli comes out on top he definitely deserves it for finding a way to make it happen.

Post a reply to: RD5 vs. ET3 "Taken or Given"

The Latest