RC to make his Nationwide Series Debut THIS WEEKEND!

Tbteam
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:02pm
Surprised Carmichael pumped about debut at Kansas
By Sporting News Wire Service, NASCAR.COM
1 hour, 44 minutes ago

Email
Print
One would think that nothing much surprises Ricky Carmichael anymore. After all, he is nicknamed GOAT, as in Greatest of All Time.

But the 15-time American Motorcyclist Association champion was taken aback when team owner Steve Turner called to let him know he could be making his Nationwide Series debut at Kansas Speedway this weekend.

Turner, who owns the team for which Carmichael and James Buescher drive in the Truck Series, was completing the purchase of the Braun Racing Nationwide team last week and needed a driver for the No. 10 Toyota.

“It has been really quick. Never expected it to come this quick,” Carmichael said. “I got a call from our team owner last week, and he said, ‘Hey, there’s a possibility we might be able to run you in the Nationwide race next weekend in Kansas. Would you be up for it?’ “

Carmichael chuckled when he thought about how long it took him to say yes—about a second.

“First, I couldn’t believe the things that I was hearing,” Carmichael said.

But, yes, it was true.

“Yeah, no problem,” Carmichael told Turner. “I’d love to, as long as it doesn’t interfere with anybody else.”

It didn’t.

“I was like, ‘Man, that’s pretty awesome,’ ” Carmichael said.

Carmichael’s move to stock cars came in 2008, when he raced in ARCA and the K&N Pro Series. He moved to the Truck Series last year and now will race in the Nationwide Series three times this year, including trips to Phoenix and Homestead later this year.

But he’s never taken a lap in a Nationwide car. Needless to say, he’s bent the ears of a lot of drivers, trying to inquire about what it takes to get a Nationwide vehicle around the track.

“I’ve talked to quite a few people about it,” Carmichael said. “They explain things to you and give you a little bit of information here and there. You’ve just got to try to apply it when you get out there. Everybody’s telling me all these things, but it’s hard to grasp it until you get out there and drive the car.”

Still, Carmichael is confident he can do it, though he’ll take a cautious approach to Kansas.

“I’m going to go there and try to learn and not set the world on fire and let things come to me,” Carmichael said. “I think I should be fine. I’ve been to Kansas before. It’s one of the flatter mile-and-a-halfs. We’ll just go there and do the best we can.”
|
Tbteam
10/1/2010 8:38am
downandup wrote:
This is motocross, not NASCAR
And you're a cunt, what's the big deal?
BobbyM
10/1/2010 8:39am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 9:03am
Tbteam wrote:
Surprised Carmichael pumped about debut at Kansas By Sporting News Wire Service, NASCAR.COM 1 hour, 44 minutes ago Email Print One would think that nothing much...
Surprised Carmichael pumped about debut at Kansas
By Sporting News Wire Service, NASCAR.COM
1 hour, 44 minutes ago

Email
Print
One would think that nothing much surprises Ricky Carmichael anymore. After all, he is nicknamed GOAT, as in Greatest of All Time.

But the 15-time American Motorcyclist Association champion was taken aback when team owner Steve Turner called to let him know he could be making his Nationwide Series debut at Kansas Speedway this weekend.

Turner, who owns the team for which Carmichael and James Buescher drive in the Truck Series, was completing the purchase of the Braun Racing Nationwide team last week and needed a driver for the No. 10 Toyota.

“It has been really quick. Never expected it to come this quick,” Carmichael said. “I got a call from our team owner last week, and he said, ‘Hey, there’s a possibility we might be able to run you in the Nationwide race next weekend in Kansas. Would you be up for it?’ “

Carmichael chuckled when he thought about how long it took him to say yes—about a second.

“First, I couldn’t believe the things that I was hearing,” Carmichael said.

But, yes, it was true.

“Yeah, no problem,” Carmichael told Turner. “I’d love to, as long as it doesn’t interfere with anybody else.”

It didn’t.

“I was like, ‘Man, that’s pretty awesome,’ ” Carmichael said.

Carmichael’s move to stock cars came in 2008, when he raced in ARCA and the K&N Pro Series. He moved to the Truck Series last year and now will race in the Nationwide Series three times this year, including trips to Phoenix and Homestead later this year.

But he’s never taken a lap in a Nationwide car. Needless to say, he’s bent the ears of a lot of drivers, trying to inquire about what it takes to get a Nationwide vehicle around the track.

“I’ve talked to quite a few people about it,” Carmichael said. “They explain things to you and give you a little bit of information here and there. You’ve just got to try to apply it when you get out there. Everybody’s telling me all these things, but it’s hard to grasp it until you get out there and drive the car.”

Still, Carmichael is confident he can do it, though he’ll take a cautious approach to Kansas.

“I’m going to go there and try to learn and not set the world on fire and let things come to me,” Carmichael said. “I think I should be fine. I’ve been to Kansas before. It’s one of the flatter mile-and-a-halfs. We’ll just go there and do the best we can.”
i am pulling for rc non moto or not.

man how many years does it take to get a ride like rc's this weekend? seems like he is on the fast track to stardom
BobbyM
10/1/2010 8:40am
downandup wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
LMAO!

The Shop

EbarDP48
10/1/2010 8:44am
You can take the GOAT out of MX, but you'll never take the MX out of the GOAT.
RC in whatever he does, will forever be linked to MX.
Go #4 give them Nationwide boys a handlebar to the ribs...
JB 19
10/1/2010 9:02am
Was watching off road trucks last night (TORC?) and was thinking how cool it was seeing RJ running battling for the lead in his Red Bull truck. He's almost a legend in the truck world now.

Motocrossers make the best pure racers. ......some many things that are learned in motocross are never touched in other forms are racing.
downandup
10/1/2010 9:04am
downandup wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
Wow, you use such big words! I'm impressed!

I am just tired of all these guys going to NASCAR like it's some big deal. Whomever has the coin these days can drive 4 wheels. Takes a real man to ride on 2.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/1/2010 9:24am
downandup wrote:
Wow, you use such big words! I'm impressed! I am just tired of all these guys going to NASCAR like it's some big deal. Whomever has...

I am just tired of all these guys going to NASCAR like it's some big deal. Whomever has the coin these days can drive 4 wheels. Takes a real man to ride on 2.
Yeah, and RC was pretty much everyone's favorite when he was on two wheels. He crushed everyone for years in the moto world. Now he's retired and has moved on. It's not that everyone think it's a big deal that he's driving in the truck series, it's that we're still fans, and want to see how he progresses.

Now, a tip for you. If a thread interests you, click on it. If it doesn't, don't. Don't make a mess of threads that don't interest you.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/1/2010 9:25am
Good to see Gibby super pumped for the off season.
downandup
10/1/2010 9:29am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 9:32am
downandup wrote:
Wow, you use such big words! I'm impressed! I am just tired of all these guys going to NASCAR like it's some big deal. Whomever has...

GuyB wrote:
Yeah, and RC was pretty much everyone's favorite when he was on two wheels. He crushed everyone for years in the moto world. Now he's retired...
Yeah, and RC was pretty much everyone's favorite when he was on two wheels. He crushed everyone for years in the moto world. Now he's retired and has moved on. It's not that everyone think it's a big deal that he's driving in the truck series, it's that we're still fans, and want to see how he progresses.

Now, a tip for you. If a thread interests you, click on it. If it doesn't, don't. Don't make a mess of threads that don't interest you.
It's not that the thread doesn't interest me, it's that I don't understand what the big deal is? Whether it's RC or Reed or Deegan? Why are these guys selling out and going to NASCAR? Can someone answer that???

Why do people have throw down "cunt" words just because I write something that doesn't agree with them? You hash on me because I disagree, but you don't nail the dude using that nasty?hmmmmmmmmmmm? I didn't make a mess of the thread, the dude who threw the nasty did. Chill. Oh, by the way, happy birthday dude.
Fast Orange
10/1/2010 9:29am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 11:25am
downandup wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
AAAAAAHHHHHH HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

And do you know how many X Moto racers have actually tried car racing & failed? Lots.

As far as moving to NASCAR? You obviously haven't seen Dale Jr's. purse totals for running around in the back of the bus! Hell,one Start & Park pays my day job salary for a year for christ sake!

If you think for one minute these guys can just quit racing & move into an "industry" position, you're really not a racer yourself, because racing is an addiction. Real racers have to race until they are gone from this earth. RC is very much a racer.

By the way, lighten up. He only called you a beautiful name!

One last thing. He is a real man in everyone elses eyes.
Nascarnick
10/1/2010 10:43am
downandup wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
downandup wrote:

Ignorance can be so entertaining at times.

I'll be there, start/finish line row 34 cheering on the GOAT!!!!!!!
RocketLab
10/1/2010 10:52am
downandup just wants what I assume all of us would like to see but ain't ever gonna happen again. . Ricky still flying on an outdoor track.
Tbteam
10/1/2010 11:10am
downandup wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Yeah, and RC was pretty much everyone's favorite when he was on two wheels. He crushed everyone for years in the moto world. Now he's retired...

downandup wrote:
It's not that the thread doesn't interest me, it's that I don't understand what the big deal is? Whether it's RC or Reed or Deegan? Why...
It's not that the thread doesn't interest me, it's that I don't understand what the big deal is? Whether it's RC or Reed or Deegan? Why are these guys selling out and going to NASCAR? Can someone answer that???

Why do people have throw down "cunt" words just because I write something that doesn't agree with them? You hash on me because I disagree, but you don't nail the dude using that nasty?hmmmmmmmmmmm? I didn't make a mess of the thread, the dude who threw the nasty did. Chill. Oh, by the way, happy birthday dude.
Ok, here's the deal. I don't really think your a cunt. I was just screwing around and making a point, and here it is:

You've been around here for about 5 months. Many of us have been around here throughout the duration of RC's career on two wheels. We have discussed the evolution of his career since his amateur days, and continue to discuss his career post mx.

The fact that you immediately expressed the opinion that RC is "non-moto" is laughable. If RC was a pig farmer, I'd be interested in what king of slop he fed them during mating season.

Anyway, no harm intended. Just a jab.
ocscottie
10/1/2010 12:45pm
Practice is going on now, he missed the first 10 min or so of the session do to a throttle cable breaking (or something like that) but he has already moved from 30th to 23rd quickest. Improving each time he goes out.
10/1/2010 1:02pm
I can hear the rumble now. Sum bitches are LOUD.
there is a shopping center next to the track (Legends) and even if you hate this car racing stuff, there is no way you can hear this and it not make your hair stand on end.
GENERIC
10/1/2010 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2010 1:23pm
downandup wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
AAAAAAHHHHHH HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! And do you know how many X Moto racers have actually tried car racing & failed? Lots. As far as moving to NASCAR...

And do you know how many X Moto racers have actually tried car racing & failed? Lots.

As far as moving to NASCAR? You obviously haven't seen Dale Jr's. purse totals for running around in the back of the bus! Hell,one Start & Park pays my day job salary for a year for christ sake!

If you think for one minute these guys can just quit racing & move into an "industry" position, you're really not a racer yourself, because racing is an addiction. Real racers have to race until they are gone from this earth. RC is very much a racer.

Robby Gordon, I cant think of any ex moto racers thats done as well as Gordon on 4 wheels...
rocrac
10/1/2010 1:24pm
Tbteam wrote:
AAAAAAHHHHHH HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! And do you know how many X Moto racers have actually tried car racing & failed? Lots. As far as moving to NASCAR...

GENERIC wrote:
Robby Gordon, I cant think of any ex moto racers thats done as well as Gordon on 4 wheels...
Jimmy Johnson and Clint Bowyer.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/1/2010 3:30pm
downandup wrote:
It's not that the thread doesn't interest me, it's that I don't understand what the big deal is? Whether it's RC or Reed or Deegan? Why...

Selling out?

RC had a good career in motocross and Supercross, and he got to the point where he wanted to step out. That's a personal choice. Could he still be milking the sport, making big money and still crushing people? Probably.

But at what point do you call it a career? Once you're in a wheelchair? When you've taken your legacy, and made a mockery of it?

Deegan's had a great career as a rider, and now he's moving on to what's next. He's given up organs, broken way too many bones, and saw the next generation of riders coming? Now look at the previous paragraph.

I never really get the sell out argument.
Sondy132001
10/1/2010 3:56pm
RC is great with his Twitters, talk about using the tools of media to your advantage ? I don't even like or watch Nascar, but I love reading his twitters, checking out his pics too.

Moto-Guy done good ! He was twittering how stoked he was to hit the MXDESN, he never used "of" any time which is cool cause he's teaching the Nascar people about his roots of motocross.

S
ocscottie
10/1/2010 3:59pm
He is up to 9th in this practice session.
RandyS
10/1/2010 4:02pm
ocscottie wrote:
He is up to 9th in this practice session.
That is impressive, the Speed guys won't shut up about it. RC will make it in NASCAR and he'll be in Sprint cup within a couple of years.
BobbyM
10/1/2010 4:04pm
downandup wrote:

GuyB wrote:

downandup wrote:

selling out? lmao...who the fugg is this Neil Young?
BobbyM
10/1/2010 5:00pm
Tbteam wrote:

GENERIC wrote:
jimmy johnson? yer well informed grasshopper.

Post a reply to: RC to make his Nationwide Series Debut THIS WEEKEND!

The Latest