RC likes to dish it out...

Mean Dean
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 7:07am
I like RC, but he has thin skin.

During the Indy SX broadcast Ricky and Ralph were discussing Reed's b-day dinner they attended. Ricky uses this opportunity to take a shot at Ralph, saying something like "Ralph ate all Reed's birthday cake." Ralph, without missing a beat snaps back with something like "I'm not the one who has problems buttoning up my clothes." It was hilarious! You could tell Ricky was pissed and he wouldnt let it go. Later during the broadcast Ricky chimed in with "I'll get you back..." and went out of his way to try and shoehorn in a jab and cut down Ralph. "You ok Ralph." Etc. Wasn't the most professional broadcast.

I don't really care who's in the booth, I watch for the racing, just surprised nobody else mentioned this.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/18/2019 6:48am
It was mentioned in the race thread and it was hilarious.
BobKerr
3/18/2019 6:50am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 6:51am
RC has always been that way. I recall some uncomfortable exchanges between RC and Emig when they were both doing the SX broadcast stuff. Emig always handled it professionally. RC not so much.
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
3/18/2019 6:53am
I watched with the sound on this weekend, and it has gotten so bad, that it's almost good now, but like train wreck good. RC takes himself to seriously to be able to listen to as a commentator - its like he's competing with Ralph.
kb228
3/18/2019 6:58am
I thought it was funny and entertaining. Having a comedy like that incorperated into the race is great. I can see the race, dont need to hear a half-incorrect calling of it 100% of the time

The Shop

slipdog
3/18/2019 7:00am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 7:01am
You guys need to take it for what it's worth. Instead of worrying how unpolished they are, recognize they are a couple of racing buddied talking supercross. It flows into the broadcast but most of us say much worse shit to our buddies every day. RC plays to win...
motomike137
3/18/2019 7:12am
slipdog wrote:
You guys need to take it for what it's worth. Instead of worrying how unpolished they are, recognize they are a couple of racing buddied talking...
You guys need to take it for what it's worth. Instead of worrying how unpolished they are, recognize they are a couple of racing buddied talking supercross. It flows into the broadcast but most of us say much worse shit to our buddies every day. RC plays to win...
It's painful to listen to him stumble and bumble through the whole telecast. Yeah it's exactly like having one of your buddies tell some irrelevant story while there is action going on. These guys refuse to call the race like professionals preferring to ramble on aimlessly and incoherently.
MX114
3/18/2019 7:20am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 8:43am
RC may or may not of been the “goat” of professional motocross...but he is definitely the “donkey” of professional broadcasting. RC is absolutely horrible in my opinion. Very hard to listen too, at times I’m embarrassed for him even. He’s that bad!
newmann
3/18/2019 7:23am
Every time a Ricky bash thread pops up it reminds me of his debut race car outing. Middle of the race, RC to pit crew..."hey guys, am I supposed to use the clutch"? Laughing

You would think that the GOAT would have that figured out before going racing.

str8line
3/18/2019 7:26am
Ralph's job got a lot tougher. They need to stop the bleeding and bring back Emig ASAP. The Indy broadcast was the worst yet and that is saying something.
Natester551v
3/18/2019 7:27am
MX114 wrote:
RC may or may not of been the “goat” of professional motocross...but he is definitely the “donkey” of professional broadcasting. RC is absolutely horrible in my...
RC may or may not of been the “goat” of professional motocross...but he is definitely the “donkey” of professional broadcasting. RC is absolutely horrible in my opinion. Very hard to listen too, at times I’m embarrassed for him even. He’s that bad!
I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making him out to be...he's gotten a lot better (I will concede he did stumble over a couple of lines on Saturday). The thin skin that he occasionally shows is somewhat cringeworthy as well...

I think his analysis is way more interesting and insightful than Emig's was. He actually points out stuff that is pretty interesting for motoheads like us and casual fans...

I long for Art and David, but RC ain't bad...
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/18/2019 7:31am
Can't remember them all, but yeah they were having a bad night with miss calls. Ricky telling Ralph that he was always winning and Ralph coming back with I've seen you loose a couple...Not sure if they are really joking or if Ralph is fed up with him so dishing it back.

Blair corrected them once or twice when they "sent it to the floor" for his input.

Will goofed up with Hunter Sayles also. Many probably wouldn't notice, but since he's a local I did when she said it's his first time trying to qualify for a SX. Umm he made it out of the heat in Minny....just pissed I didn't pick him for pulp fantasy, would've gotten big points but figured his first race back after injury he might not qualify.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
3/18/2019 7:34am
Geezuz.....a classic example of a ineffective complaint . The subject of the complaint is sometimes a condition over which the complainer has little control. However, by complaining about it, the individual gets the sense of gaining some control and—erroneously—feels mastery over something that cannot be mastered.

RC is a racing Legend...the GOAT, he don't have a Harvard Degree....he is a ex racer sitting in the
Booth talking shit...so what.

Stop sweating the stuff you can't control and enjoy the racing.
JeepnMike
3/18/2019 7:35am
I like hearing real personalities and appreciate Ralph bringing enthusiasm to the broadcast. The bickering between the two adds a few chuckles to the broadcast, I see no harm in it at all. Do you guys want robots running in the booth? That sounds pretty lame to me. I know many like Paul Malin (as do I), but he also throws lots of comments that could be considered unprofessional, but we still love to hear him.

BTW, RC also threw a jab about how Hartranft could beat up Ralph, that was also funny. The only thing we found annoying was Ralph talking about Oldenburg's new son Riker not once, but 5 times. I don't think Ralph should get fired for it though, he is just bringing the rider's personal life to the forefront for the audience which I think is great.
Mean Dean
3/18/2019 7:42am
MX114 wrote:
RC may or may not of been the “goat” of professional motocross...but he is definitely the “donkey” of professional broadcasting. RC is absolutely horrible in my...
I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making him out to be...he's gotten a lot better (I will concede he did stumble over a...
I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making him out to be...he's gotten a lot better (I will concede he did stumble over a couple of lines on Saturday). The thin skin that he occasionally shows is somewhat cringeworthy as well...

I think his analysis is way more interesting and insightful than Emig's was. He actually points out stuff that is pretty interesting for motoheads like us and casual fans...

I couldn't care less who is in the booth, I like RC and always have, I just thought he didn't handle the situation like an adult. He went out of his way to call Ralph a fat-ass and Ralph without missing a beat owned him on a national SX broadcast. So instead of joking back and letting it go RC got all personal and tried to force a conflict with Ralph the rest of the night. I don't mind the back-and-forth joking; it was uncomfortable at Indy the way RC handled it. It's not about RC in the booth; it's about the audience.

If RC's going to be sensitive about stuff, don't start it. He is one of the greatest riders ever, probably the greatest racer. Own that and when you dish it out roll with the punches.
clemsonsc
3/18/2019 7:55am
For those of us that have a “real 6 piece” surround sound system. Unhook your center speaker, Ralph and Ricky go away and all you hear are bikes. It’s actually kinda nice sometimes. Ralf and Ricky don’t really bother me too much.
Motofinne
3/18/2019 7:58am
Can they please, please stop saying "Oh, he had a bobble!"? Just remove the word "bobble" from the SX commentating vocabulary.
150ripper
3/18/2019 7:59am
MX114 wrote:
I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making him out to be...he's gotten a lot better (I will concede he did stumble over a...

Mean Dean wrote:
I couldn't care less who is in the booth, I like RC and always have, I just thought he didn't handle the situation like an adult...
I couldn't care less who is in the booth, I like RC and always have, I just thought he didn't handle the situation like an adult. He went out of his way to call Ralph a fat-ass and Ralph without missing a beat owned him on a national SX broadcast. So instead of joking back and letting it go RC got all personal and tried to force a conflict with Ralph the rest of the night. I don't mind the back-and-forth joking; it was uncomfortable at Indy the way RC handled it. It's not about RC in the booth; it's about the audience.

If RC's going to be sensitive about stuff, don't start it. He is one of the greatest riders ever, probably the greatest racer. Own that and when you dish it out roll with the punches.
I saw it the same way, RC sounded flustered and I was embarrassed for him.
3/18/2019 8:02am
They had the same conversation during qualifying. They're just ribbing each other. Settle down
3/18/2019 8:08am
Anybody know what the heck Cooper Webb was talking about when he described his landing on the tough block incident as pulling an "RC" - he said it twice in his interview and was clearing taking a stab at Ricky. Does he feel that RC has been too harsh in his commentary?
Buzzard167
3/18/2019 8:14am
Mr. Knobby wrote:
Anybody know what the heck Cooper Webb was talking about when he described his landing on the tough block incident as pulling an "RC" - he...
Anybody know what the heck Cooper Webb was talking about when he described his landing on the tough block incident as pulling an "RC" - he said it twice in his interview and was clearing taking a stab at Ricky. Does he feel that RC has been too harsh in his commentary?
RC landed on tuff blocks and jumped back on the track at some race. There's video of it somewhere.
scrallex
3/18/2019 8:19am
Is it just me or did this particular broadcast seem a little more amateur than the others? I know Ricky isn't all that experienced and this is his first year full-time in the booth, but damn. It doesn't help our sport at all having him in there. I miss Fro.
scootch
3/18/2019 8:29am
newmann wrote:
Every time a Ricky bash thread pops up it reminds me of his debut race car outing. Middle of the race, RC to pit crew..."hey guys...
Every time a Ricky bash thread pops up it reminds me of his debut race car outing. Middle of the race, RC to pit crew..."hey guys, am I supposed to use the clutch"? Laughing

You would think that the GOAT would have that figured out before going racing.

LOL that really happened?? is there a video?
milliebays
3/18/2019 8:32am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 8:41am
said it before, but RC likely has some degree of narcissistic personality disorder - which is typically developed in youth as an ego defense mechanism to parental practice of simultaneously holding child to impossible standards and heaping unexpected praise.

we all know how hard his mom worked him. he was never good enough, etc. as a result, i would argue he was more likely to develop an insecure self-image (due to parental scorn, etc, described above), and thus has an easily-bruised ego.

he is toxic to listen to and almost any well-adjusted person can sense something is off with the guy. very sad.
Casting
3/18/2019 8:34am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 8:36am
The sad fact is that Ricky isn't educated enough (people can be SMART but not EDUCATED) to realize he is making so many mistakes. He is too egotistical to have that type of insight and self-awareness.

We are told the broadcast is simplified so that it catches the attention of new viewers and brings fans to the sport. I guess having an announcer that thinks "behead" means the same as "ahead" and "miscue" means the same as "mistake" isn't a concern for NBC/Feld.

GOAT of MX, but maybe a requirement for being in the booth should be graduating high school so prospective fans aren't laughing and changing the channel after 5 minutes if we are trying to shake the redneck stereotype that goes with the sport that I love so much.

MX114
3/18/2019 8:55am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 10:03am
MX114 wrote:

I could stomach watching RC do the track side segments cause that was at least within his wheelhouse and we only needed to hear him stumble over his words for a minute or so. But he has been a train wreck in the booth this year. They could do so much better, it’s a shame that they have settled with RC. When you watch any other professional sport none of the broadcasters sound nearly as sloppy or uneducated. He needs to go. Not too mention Ralph, Daniel Blair, and Will all deserve better. RC is so bad that he brings the whole program down a couple notches on the professional scale
motomx88
3/18/2019 9:35am
Mr. Knobby wrote:
Anybody know what the heck Cooper Webb was talking about when he described his landing on the tough block incident as pulling an "RC" - he...
When Ricky was racing they had haybales. He landed on a couple from big jumps and exploded them and kept going. Fun to watch
3/18/2019 9:41am
Mr. Knobby wrote:
He probably said that because RC was bagging on Webb's gate choice and said it was a bad move.
77Moto
3/18/2019 9:48am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
It was mentioned in the race thread and it was hilarious.
I laughed. RC won't do that again.
Ralph has forgotten more about motorsports in general than RC and Blair put together know.
milliebays
3/18/2019 10:09am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 10:09am
Mr. Knobby wrote:
He probably said that because RC was bagging on Webb's gate choice and said it was a bad move.
i think it was daytona or maybe the mud race, but he kept on bagging on the middle-outside gate pick, even though the holeshot came from there nearly every single heat. rather than correct or qualify his own opinion, he just kept on with the same errant criticism of said gate pick. was pretty bad. ego > truth = fail

Post a reply to: RC likes to dish it out...

The Latest