RC/ leatte brace

mohammed
3/20/2010 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:19am
Was RC comment a little irresponsible " for putting down the leatte brace" safety is such a issue these days with so many seriouse injuries/ death. As a person who so many young riders look up to he should of commented or handled the subject another way.
|
Diener
3/20/2010 2:41pm
If safety is such an issue why did Leatte patent the brace?
Rasmus99
3/20/2010 2:43pm
The thing is that not everyone agree that leat brace´s (or any other company with the same model) neck protection is so safe.
Some actualy think its unsafe RC seems to be one of them.

You can still se pro racers with this protection
DownSouth
3/20/2010 2:46pm
Diener wrote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/20/2010 2:48pm
I actually appreciated his honest opinion. He also went on to explain why he had that opinion and it was based on the testing method, which for me sounded like the lack there of in a scientific atmosphere. If anything he might have prompted better testing and give many people that question the same the answers they have possibly been looking for in order to invest in a brace for themselves.
I see it as most things have a positive outcome when the negatives are not dwelled upon. I viewed it as he obviously had a reason for his opinion and he has a stage to voice his opinion which can also be viewed as a question of concern. When we do see him in a brace of any brand of that type it will probably suffice to many that his questions as an insider and a racer has been answered and honestly would probably get more people in braces as opposed to him just showing up in one like the majority of other racers have the last few years. I think the same could also be said for Stewart if he was to show up wearing a brace.
txmxer
3/20/2010 2:54pm
Diener wrote:
So, they should have spent a ton of money and not try to make their money back?
Wandell
3/20/2010 2:58pm
RC was put on the spot on national tv and he gave his honest opinion. He didn't run them in the dirt or say they didn't work. He just said he wasn't sold on them.
Motodave
3/20/2010 3:06pm
sometimes i wonder if the leatt actually helps...Its really a hard call for anybody, But im glad RC-4000 said what he said.
Mr. G
3/20/2010 3:08pm
Diener wrote:
I am pretty sure they are trying to make a living. You should go ahead and invent something and give it away and report back when you do so .
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
3/20/2010 3:38pm
mohammed wrote:
Was RC comment a little irresponsible " for putting down the leatte brace" safety is such a issue these days with so many seriouse injuries/ death...
Was RC comment a little irresponsible " for putting down the leatte brace" safety is such a issue these days with so many seriouse injuries/ death. As a person who so many young riders look up to he should of commented or handled the subject another way.
Not at all, RC as well as anybody else, like Gautier Paulin, is entitled to his own opinion and until you prove something is solid like cement you can't force people to defend or enforce it.
DiIullo
3/20/2010 3:40pm
Shenzi wrote:
Not at all, RC as well as anybody else, like Gautier Paulin, is entitled to his own opinion and until you prove something is solid like...
Not at all, RC as well as anybody else, like Gautier Paulin, is entitled to his own opinion and until you prove something is solid like cement you can't force people to defend or enforce it.
100%
johansen
3/20/2010 3:44pm

I've posted this picture in other threads but for me the Leatt worked. Landed on my head scorpion style after coming up short on a double at a snocross track. Leatt broke but I walked away.
aggiemoto99
3/20/2010 3:49pm
I think with anything it has a plus and a minus.

I wear one...and can think of a couple occassions where I THINK it helped me a lot.

I can also feel a couple things to this day from where I KNOW it hurt me...

Namely my spine where the back part ends...and my collarbone where it broke on the other side I fell on (broke right hit left side)...of course it probably saved my neck hyper extension there.

I for one am glad he questions it...and agree more conclusive testing is needed.

I htink the design will evolve over time..and only get better for all.
TerryB
3/20/2010 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2010 4:05pm
Rasmus99 wrote:
The thing is that not everyone agree that leat brace´s (or any other company with the same model) neck protection is so safe. Some actualy think...
The thing is that not everyone agree that leat brace´s (or any other company with the same model) neck protection is so safe.
Some actualy think its unsafe RC seems to be one of them.

You can still se pro racers with this protection
Huh? I never heard RC say anything that could be construed as meaning that he thought it was unsafe. He questioned it's effectiveness, period.

Feel free to prove me wrong with a quote, though...
TerryB
3/20/2010 4:09pm
I think with anything it has a plus and a minus. I wear one...and can think of a couple occassions where I THINK it helped me...
I think with anything it has a plus and a minus.

I wear one...and can think of a couple occassions where I THINK it helped me a lot.

I can also feel a couple things to this day from where I KNOW it hurt me...

Namely my spine where the back part ends...and my collarbone where it broke on the other side I fell on (broke right hit left side)...of course it probably saved my neck hyper extension there.

I for one am glad he questions it...and agree more conclusive testing is needed.

I htink the design will evolve over time..and only get better for all.
Agree 100%.

I've been wearing my son's when he's not using it. I wonder about injuries to the area where it ends, and also assume that it may contribute to some collarbone breaks, but also accept that as a preferable alternative to a neck injury.

More testing, more development.
mohammed
3/20/2010 4:18pm
johansen wrote:
[img]http://www.vitalmx.com/images/photos/25688/normal_99439570_1268870047.jpg?1268870048[/img] I've posted this picture in other threads but for me the Leatt worked. Landed on my head scorpion style after coming up short on a...

I've posted this picture in other threads but for me the Leatt worked. Landed on my head scorpion style after coming up short on a double at a snocross track. Leatt broke but I walked away.
Would be nice if more people post any positive or negative experience they have had with the leatte, really the only way to find out if its effective in any way. Please post!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
3/20/2010 4:27pm
There seems to be a lot of riders who believe in it, and some who don't.

To each his own.

I know I feel a little safer when I wear mine.
creed
3/20/2010 4:42pm
So does RC use the Neck Brace in Nascar, if so HE must have signed off on that TESTING.
mohammed
3/20/2010 4:53pm
creed wrote:
So does RC use the Neck Brace in Nascar, if so HE must have signed off on that TESTING.
Good point.
rc4187
3/20/2010 4:53pm
creed wrote:
completely different neck brace.
TerryB
3/20/2010 5:04pm
creed wrote:
rc4187 wrote:
And also "required".
creed
3/20/2010 5:06pm
creed wrote:
rc4187 wrote:
Yes it is a differrent neck brace but testing was done by whom and if their testing is so good that RC doesn't question it why in the INTERESTS of Safety wouldn't they test the Leatt and other models.

I know at least one of the helmet or neck brace manufacturers is/ was making / testing helmets for MX specific type crashes, I never followed it up.

I wonder if RC ever questioned the Helmet testing procedures carried out by Snell and Dot. Obviously RC has tested all the products he has endorsed over the years, now let me remember were they all perfect.

Going by what Shenazi stated he also checks all the tests on every product he sells, and obviously they all work perfectly.
RACEGUY
3/20/2010 5:21pm
I vaguely referred to RC's comment in another thread. What he said was simply irresponsible and uncalled for.

He is considered a god - the GOAT - and what he says carries a lot of weight.

I cringe to think that people will accept his UNTESTED theories and forego spine protection for their kid.
wownd out
3/20/2010 5:24pm
Ya know it's kinda like the old hard plastic Scott boots of the 80's they protected your ankle and shin but broke your knee! so what do you want broke? with the Leatt ill take my neck and give a collar bone!
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
3/20/2010 6:04pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of riders who believe in it, and some who don't. To each his own. I know I feel a little...
There seems to be a lot of riders who believe in it, and some who don't.

To each his own.

I know I feel a little safer when I wear mine.
x2
flarider
3/20/2010 6:44pm
creed wrote:
rc4187 wrote:
The two types work completely different
It's apples and baseballs

The HANS device was extensively tested by NASCAR, F1, independent labs and many other racing sanctions.
It's effectiveness was proven so superior, that other knock offs that came along soon after the release of the HANS were disallowed and ONLY the HANS Device is legal in motorsports racing.

No outside independent testing has ever been done (that I am aware of) of the Leatt Brace.
I believe that was RC's point, I agree and that has always been my point.

RC also DID NOT SAY for riders to not wear a Leatt or similar. In no way did he (or have I) discourage its use.
creed
3/20/2010 7:04pm
So next time you are talking to RC ask him about the helmets he endorses and the Tests carried out on them.

Surely some modifications to the testing should/ would be available to Test the Leatt or similar device for MX.

Would be good to see these independent labs test the MX devices. Insurance companies surely would help with the cost, maybe the toothless tiger AMA would help as well.

There are too many ifs and buts and when a LEGEND comes out and questions the device maybe it is time he either stfu or there is merit to what he has said.

One life is too many or one serious injury, RC could use his clout to have something done for the SPORT.

flarider
3/20/2010 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:32pm
creed wrote:
So next time you are talking to RC ask him about the helmets he endorses and the Tests carried out on them. Surely some modifications to...
So next time you are talking to RC ask him about the helmets he endorses and the Tests carried out on them.

Surely some modifications to the testing should/ would be available to Test the Leatt or similar device for MX.

Would be good to see these independent labs test the MX devices. Insurance companies surely would help with the cost, maybe the toothless tiger AMA would help as well.

There are too many ifs and buts and when a LEGEND comes out and questions the device maybe it is time he either stfu or there is merit to what he has said.

One life is too many or one serious injury, RC could use his clout to have something done for the SPORT.

So it's RC's fault that Leatt hasn't used their own earnings to pay for outside independent testing?

How is that his fault?

You also asked;

"Surely some modifications to the testing should/ would be available to Test the Leatt or similar device for MX."

Modifications to what? What testing? Do you not even understand the differences between how the two devices work? They are not similar in any form, other than going around your neck. Their mode or area of protection is in no way similar.

It is apples and baseballs

RC doesn't have to "stfu" about jack shit, he has every right to an opinion, and he never said people should not wear one....did he?

No he didn't

He only stated there is no independent testing on the device, and he is right.

The only data supplied in internal.

As for helmets, you have DOT, SNELL and ESE

One US Federal Standard, one European Standard and one independent standard

Show me evidence of ANY STANDARD for MX neck protection.

I will pay you $1,000 if you can provide me any agreed upon and/or governmental and/or international standards for neck protection in mx.

$1,000 cash.....the challenge is your to win
Big Lenny
3/20/2010 7:20pm
RACEGUY wrote:
I vaguely referred to RC's comment in another thread. What he said was simply irresponsible and uncalled for. He is considered a god - the GOAT...
I vaguely referred to RC's comment in another thread. What he said was simply irresponsible and uncalled for.

I cringe to think that people will accept his UNTESTED theories and forego spine protection for their kid.
A God?...Just because Rc says something doesn't make it gospel...Fuck, where do we get these people?...
MX690
3/20/2010 7:23pm
RACEGUY wrote:
I vaguely referred to RC's comment in another thread. What he said was simply irresponsible and uncalled for. He is considered a god - the GOAT...

Big Lenny wrote:
A God?...Just because Rc says something doesn't make it gospel...Fuck, where do we get these people?...
Thats funny,,,, because under what you typed is your sig

"James Stewart is the fastest man to ever ride a motocross bike".. ~Ricky Carmichael~

Post a reply to: RC/ leatte brace

The Latest