One of the quietest 450s in the Nationals is .........

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 4:31pm
A factory bike but not white or green. This machine is running a FIM MXGP legal sub 114 db muffler with zero heat issues. Many MXGP teams deal with heat issues but not these guys.

Those of you going to Millville give a listen and venture a guess who the rider and team are.
|
hvaughn88
7/16/2015 10:09am
Is it Rick Melon's bike? Looks pretty factory to me.
The Rock
7/16/2015 10:16am
3 strikes and 2 grins so far. I of course dig the you know what out of the fact 1) louder isn't better and 2) sometimes you go faster when your motor package isn't "set to 11."

Sometimes less really is more.

The Shop

Kawasaki572
7/16/2015 10:19am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 10:20am
The Rock wrote:
A factory bike but not white or green. This machine is running a FIM MXGP legal sub 114 db muffler with zero heat issues. Many MXGP...
A factory bike but not white or green. This machine is running a FIM MXGP legal sub 114 db muffler with zero heat issues. Many MXGP teams deal with heat issues but not these guys.

Those of you going to Millville give a listen and venture a guess who the rider and team are.
The last time i went to a National, it was the Factory KTM's that was the quietest, and the PC bikes the loudest. It was the same for SX as well.
Starcrossed
7/16/2015 10:21am
The last time i went to a National, it was the Factory KTM's that was the quietest, and the PC bikes the loudest. It was the...
The last time i went to a National, it was the Factory KTM's that was the quietest, and the PC bikes the loudest. It was the same for SX as well.
Same here...the "bark" of those PC bikes got my attention (outdoors).
tobz
7/16/2015 10:24am
Those pesky loud mufflers, what do they think this is, a pro motorsport or something?
newmann
7/16/2015 10:31am
Tapped out, those PC bikes always sounded sweet. Loud and sweet. Sure in the heck didn't sound legal quiet...lol
IWreckALot
7/16/2015 10:36am
The Rock wrote:
3 strikes and 2 grins so far. I of course dig the you know what out of the fact 1) louder isn't better and 2) sometimes...
3 strikes and 2 grins so far. I of course dig the you know what out of the fact 1) louder isn't better and 2) sometimes you go faster when your motor package isn't "set to 11."

Sometimes less really is more.
Are you considering KTM white?
KTMShane699
7/16/2015 10:48am
tobz wrote:
Those pesky loud mufflers, what do they think this is, a pro motorsport or something?
Those "pesky loud mufflers" are a major contributing factor to tracks and riding areas being closed down...maybe change isn't so bad?

Shane
The Rock
7/16/2015 11:07am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 11:30am
Thank you Shane. Fortunately over the 8 plus years I have been a "sound guy" things have done a 180. Now people who think louder is better are in the minority. The rest of us aren't blind to the track closures and hassles this industry has endured since four strokes returned.

Just edited the thread title because KTM's are also extremely quiet. I haven't checked them to see if they're running and FIM compliant muffler outdoors but will. It wouldn't surprise me if they are though.

To the point of bikes sounding legal or not there in lies the crux of the matter. With existing sound rules it's still possible for change to skirt the issues particularly in the static 94db test that still used in AMA amateurs You can build a pipe that passes 94 db at 5K RPM but is LOUD at full song.

2 M Max test used in FIM events is not foolproof either since mapping allows the teams to hit maximum RPM that's really not maximum RPM. Next generation 2 M Max test being developed now. Currently next sound drop is 2019 when the limit drops to 112.
Cadpro18
7/16/2015 12:05pm
newmann wrote:
Tapped out, those PC bikes always sounded sweet. Loud and sweet. Sure in the heck didn't sound legal quiet...lol
They have a map switch to select a de-tuned and quieter map to get thru tech.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
7/16/2015 12:11pm
All I know is at local practice spot the KXF's are the loudest by my ear decimeter...
7/16/2015 3:06pm
yak651 wrote:
All I know is at local practice spot the KXF's are the loudest by my ear decimeter...
My ear dyno says the same
Zycki11
7/16/2015 3:07pm
Cadpro18 wrote:
They have a map switch to select a de-tuned and quieter map to get thru tech.
No, they used to. Now when the bike is in neutral it automatically kicks to the dummy ignition map. It is hysterical to hear geico Hondas rev to the moon on the track, and at tech they sound like blubbering weekend warriors with tight valves.
bob567
7/16/2015 3:28pm
Well its definitely not the Harley's that ride down public streets in heavily populated areas shaking the windows in our house thats for sure. Oh wait. That's 100% ok and legal. My bad.
tobz
7/16/2015 4:20pm
tobz wrote:
Those "pesky loud mufflers" are a major contributing factor to tracks and riding areas being closed down...maybe change isn't so bad?

Shane
Your missed my point, local weekend warrior riding areas filled with obscenely loud exhausts and poorly packed silencers are obviously causing problems. But leave the pro races alone.

You dont see nascar enforcing the same decibel limit on their competitors as is enforced on your daily driver...
KlootZak
7/16/2015 4:41pm
tobz wrote:
Your missed my point, local weekend warrior riding areas filled with obscenely loud exhausts and poorly packed silencers are obviously causing problems. But leave the pro...
Your missed my point, local weekend warrior riding areas filled with obscenely loud exhausts and poorly packed silencers are obviously causing problems. But leave the pro races alone.

You dont see nascar enforcing the same decibel limit on their competitors as is enforced on your daily driver...
Your daily driver doesn't use or buy a race car but a car for the road, we do.
KTMShane699
7/16/2015 4:50pm
tobz wrote:
Your missed my point, local weekend warrior riding areas filled with obscenely loud exhausts and poorly packed silencers are obviously causing problems. But leave the pro...

We need to stop trying to compare ourselves to nascar. We aren't nascar. We won't be at nascar levels of popularity if we keep thinking the way we do. Focus on the issues that impact our sport. Sound is a major one. Pro races or local races...most of the people who complain and vote on issues don't know the difference and don't care either. So since sound is a major issue, it is one we should be concerned with.

If we focus on the issues with impacting the sport we all enjoy, maybe we can get some more riding spots and grow the sport in popularity. Continuing to think in terms of growth compared to nascar is short sighted at best and will ultimately stunt our own growth. Maybe our own lack of willingness to tackle the problems impacting the sport are what ultimately causes the most problems?

Shane
7/16/2015 5:02pm
Im all for the quietest bike I could get! If something new came on the market that was TTR125 quiet in a race bike, I would buy it!
I dont even have any close by neighbors and Im still concerned about annoying them. I can see where people that live somewhat close to open riding tracks have issue with constantly having to hear loud bikes.
tobz
7/16/2015 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 5:05pm
Nascar was probably an unfortunate example, replace it with any other national pro motorsport....

I really do disagree with the notion that the pro ama motocross, which happens 12 times a year at different places all over the country, is the cause of tracks shutting down. The problem, down here anyway, is the tracks that hold numerous practice days during the week and races pretty much most weekends are where most of the noise complaints derive from. Unless you have data that tells us otherwise?

Yes, it's the same issue, but your looking to squash it from the wrong area of the sport. Local B rider Jimmy is still going to rock up to his local track with a muffler that nearly makes your ears bleed. Forcing the pro's to race vacuum cleaners won't change that.
downard254
7/16/2015 5:06pm
I've been to a lot of SX races over the years, and not until the four strokes showed up did my ears ring after the races.
Alex814
7/16/2015 6:03pm
I thought the JGR bikes were pretty quiet.
The Rock
7/16/2015 6:25pm
bob567 wrote:
Well its definitely not the Harley's that ride down public streets in heavily populated areas shaking the windows in our house thats for sure. Oh wait...
Well its definitely not the Harley's that ride down public streets in heavily populated areas shaking the windows in our house thats for sure. Oh wait. That's 100% ok and legal. My bad.
Don't get the Harley analogy. We don't have the luxury of streets to ride on. They are too loud they get a ticket. We are too loud and there goes another track or riding area.

This isn't the 70s.
The Rock
7/16/2015 6:31pm
Tobz your points have been addressed ad nauseum over the last 8 years. Not interested in converting you but respect your position.

If you feel strongly about this I would start with contacting the AMA and FIM to share your position. They are the ones steering the ship.

Peace.
KTMShane699
7/16/2015 6:37pm
The Rock wrote:
Don't get the Harley analogy. We don't have the luxury of streets to ride on. They are too loud they get a ticket. We are too...
Don't get the Harley analogy. We don't have the luxury of streets to ride on. They are too loud they get a ticket. We are too loud and there goes another track or riding area.

This isn't the 70s.
The other difference with the Harley going down the road is once it goes...it's gone. We go riding at the track and locals are listening to the same sound non-stop, all-day long. We are far more annoying than any of us wants to admit to. Sadly, if we don't address riding areas will continue to close. We are the minority amongst the public. They outnumber us and have an opinion that carries for more weight in most situations. We would do well to not forget that.

Shane
tobz
7/16/2015 7:00pm
The Rock wrote:
Tobz your points have been addressed ad nauseum over the last 8 years. Not interested in converting you but respect your position. If you feel strongly...
Tobz your points have been addressed ad nauseum over the last 8 years. Not interested in converting you but respect your position.

If you feel strongly about this I would start with contacting the AMA and FIM to share your position. They are the ones steering the ship.

Peace.
Me, ad nauseam? That's hilarious, I don't make these threads every other month...

I'm open to be proven wrong but you simply can't.

Post a reply to: One of the quietest 450s in the Nationals is .........

The Latest