Quick turn throttle tubes.

Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 3:06pm
Your thoughts, brands, etc.

I just saw there’s a New England based company called ZRthrottle that’s producing 1/8th turn throttles (wow!) and it got me to thinking if the Vital community has used them (being 1/4 or beyond) and to what avail?
|
swtwtwtw
11/11/2018 7:05pm
I have not used an 1/8th turn throttle, but the quick turn cam for the KTM is 3/16. Most stock Mx bikes come with 1/4 turn. Currently I use the Protaper tube with the bearing an I measured it at 7/32, but with a full waffle grip it is 3/16..

After all that I felt like the quicker turn was easier to use.
KGAspeed
11/11/2018 7:41pm
Check out g2ergo.com

They are friends of mine - full disclosure - but die-hard enthusiasts just like us that developed quick-turn throttles which in-turn came from their original idea of cam systems for throttle tubes.

Great product and they'll be happy to talk to you about it.

I've always used their throttle cams to mellow out the power delivery when needed (450 for off-road, etc), but I have never tried their quick-turns. They are very popular for the small-bore bikes.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
11/11/2018 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 8:02pm
I had a quick turn throttle on my 2014 yz250 smoker. It was kind of a poor decision I believe because it made throttle control, especially on dry slick, much more difficult to handle. It’s nice jumping and hitting acceleration/braking bumps with your wrist higher and being in a better position....

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/11/2018 10:14pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Check out g2ergo.com They are friends of mine - full disclosure - but die-hard enthusiasts just like us that developed quick-turn throttles which in-turn came from...
Check out g2ergo.com

They are friends of mine - full disclosure - but die-hard enthusiasts just like us that developed quick-turn throttles which in-turn came from their original idea of cam systems for throttle tubes.

Great product and they'll be happy to talk to you about it.

I've always used their throttle cams to mellow out the power delivery when needed (450 for off-road, etc), but I have never tried their quick-turns. They are very popular for the small-bore bikes.
+1 on G2. But to be honest I actually am careful with not making it too quick because hurts my smooth throttle control of corners. I went to a really fast cam but now close to almost stock.
11/11/2018 10:50pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
I have not used an 1/8th turn throttle, but the quick turn cam for the KTM is 3/16. Most stock Mx bikes come with 1/4 turn...
I have not used an 1/8th turn throttle, but the quick turn cam for the KTM is 3/16. Most stock Mx bikes come with 1/4 turn. Currently I use the Protaper tube with the bearing an I measured it at 7/32, but with a full waffle grip it is 3/16..

What has the grip to do with the angle of rotation?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/12/2018 4:22am
We have one our KTM, not the short pull version. It works as good as advertised! We tired the protaper aluminum and it was good, but this is way better!!
rongi#401
11/12/2018 4:32am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I have not used an 1/8th turn throttle, but the quick turn cam for the KTM is 3/16. Most stock Mx bikes come with 1/4 turn...

#434 wrote:
Stay in school
opyguy
11/12/2018 4:34am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 4:37am
swtwtwtw wrote:

#434 wrote:
rongi#401 wrote:
Stay in school
Well done??
Geometry or English? Both?
11/12/2018 5:06am
#434 wrote:
rongi#401 wrote:
Stay in school
opyguy wrote:
Well done??
Are you guys serious?
He is talking about the angle of rotation it takes to open the throttle body completly (1/4, 3/16 or 7/32 of a full rotation). And than he states that it is different if he uses a full waffle grip compared to a standard grip.
My question was: What has the diameter of the grip to do with the angle of rotation of the throttle assembly. The diameter of the end of the throttle tube where the throttle cable is mounted is of course changing the ratio, but the grip diameter?

And if my english is bad, I‘m sorry. It‘s not my first language.
mingham97
11/12/2018 5:20am
rongi#401 wrote:
Stay in school
opyguy wrote:
Well done??
#434 wrote:
Are you guys serious? He is talking about the angle of rotation it takes to open the throttle body completly (1/4, 3/16 or 7/32 of a...
Are you guys serious?
He is talking about the angle of rotation it takes to open the throttle body completly (1/4, 3/16 or 7/32 of a full rotation). And than he states that it is different if he uses a full waffle grip compared to a standard grip.
My question was: What has the diameter of the grip to do with the angle of rotation of the throttle assembly. The diameter of the end of the throttle tube where the throttle cable is mounted is of course changing the ratio, but the grip diameter?

#434, you are correct...the other guy is wrong hahahha "Stay in school" he reckons
mx317
11/12/2018 5:22am
rongi#401 wrote:
Stay in school
opyguy wrote:
Well done??
#434 wrote:
Are you guys serious? He is talking about the angle of rotation it takes to open the throttle body completly (1/4, 3/16 or 7/32 of a...
Are you guys serious?

I'm with you 434. I don't care if he has grips as big as a barrel, it will still take the same amount of throttle rotation from closed to open. That's like I heard people say they rotate their throttle forward on the handlebars to open quicker.
opyguy
11/12/2018 6:06am
No I don’t think we were serious we were just kidding around, no offense meant .
Also for what it’s worth I have used the lightning quick turn throttle, good guy supports veterans and it works.
11/12/2018 6:14am
I have never tried one, my question is late in a moto when fatigue sets in Is it a lot easier to have a whiskey throttle situation or is that not the case
902moto
11/12/2018 6:58am
Your thoughts, brands, etc. I just saw there’s a New England based company called ZRthrottle that’s producing 1/8th turn throttles (wow!) and it got me to...
Your thoughts, brands, etc.

I just saw there’s a New England based company called ZRthrottle that’s producing 1/8th turn throttles (wow!) and it got me to thinking if the Vital community has used them (being 1/4 or beyond) and to what avail?
Hi Jeff, Tom here owner of zrThrottle. We have been machining our own tubes for just over a year now. I literally got sick of wearing out tubes, bars and breaking the ends of the throttle tubes. So I set out to make the best throttle that would last for ever.
The beauty of this throttle is the bearings inside. Not the throttle. Many many companies have made aluminum throttle tubes before. But this throttle, is special. And also Patent Pending. We take a precision bearing (originally produced for the Black Hawk) and put it inside the throttle housing. We also took a standard shielded bearing and put that at the end of the bars. Creating a completely friction free throttle tube. Better then just being friction free, this tube requires very little maintenance. Once in a while, clean the bearing and reassemble and you have a brand new throttle again.
Also, the end of the tube was designed for impact. The way the end cap and bearing (outer race) mate, makes this tube almost indestructible. Check out our IG or Website. @zrThrottle or zrThrottle.com. We have videos and pics on our website and plenty of content to check out on the IG.

Now the Quick Turn Throttle was developed for a couple of pro guys I that use our throttles. This is definitely a special throttle assembly. Very manageable though. I rode some woods yesterday (on my 450 SX) to test it and I can say this baby is going to make some waves. Get it out on some wide open stuff and it is hard to keep the front on the ground regardless if I am riding the gas tank or not. She ripps. And the throttle is much easier to control.
We are currently machining them. And they will be available soon. I'll let you know more about this product in a DM. But for now, its QT throttle that is more or less a Factory only part. But now will be available to you.
Spooner
11/12/2018 7:40am
I run the G2 on my KTM and it’s great. Very smooth action and the perfect ratio to me. The other one to think about is the motion pro setup but it’s pretty expensive but probably the best throttle out there.
shkapars
11/12/2018 8:15am
I have one selves-made. Bought aluminium throttle tube with bearing added 1mm to radius (made aluminium ring, rework to fit throttle tube shape and glued it on with JB weld). Only on CRF250 2018 have to rework little bit front case part and with added 1mm throttle cable is too short. There is no freeplay anymore therefore have to shorten some mm of adjuster screw
902moto
11/12/2018 8:20am
Just a side note. The bearing used in the G2 and ProTaper etc is not a bearing at all. It is marketed that way. But it really is a Teflon Bushing. And with bushings come friction. We manufacture our throttle tubes with a real radial ball bearing.
KGAspeed
11/12/2018 10:12am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 10:23am
902moto wrote:
Just a side note. The bearing used in the G2 and ProTaper etc is not a bearing at all. It is marketed that way. But it...
Just a side note. The bearing used in the G2 and ProTaper etc is not a bearing at all. It is marketed that way. But it really is a Teflon Bushing. And with bushings come friction. We manufacture our throttle tubes with a real radial ball bearing.
Choose your words carefully. G2 does not mis-represent their products and are incredibly stand-up guys that would not try to do what you're doing by misleading or talk-down in regards to competitors. They're good dudes who built a product they originated and believe in.

From their website:

"All G2 dirt bike throttles come with Delrin bushings in each end – no aluminum to aluminum contact – no handlebar galling!"

I won't say anything more as they are merely friends of mine and it is not my place to represent them, but it always bothers me when people try to uses tactics like this.
philG
11/12/2018 10:21am
G2 for me, Supermoto is all about throttle control on the side of the tyre, and a G2 with a 400 cam is the best $$ mod you can make .
902moto
11/12/2018 10:44am
902moto wrote:
Just a side note. The bearing used in the G2 and ProTaper etc is not a bearing at all. It is marketed that way. But it...
KGAspeed wrote:
Choose your words carefully. G2 does not mis-represent their products and are incredibly stand-up guys that would not try to do what you're doing by misleading...
Choose your words carefully. G2 does not mis-represent their products and are incredibly stand-up guys that would not try to do what you're doing by misleading or talk-down in regards to competitors. They're good dudes who built a product they originated and believe in.

From their website:

"All G2 dirt bike throttles come with Delrin bushings in each end – no aluminum to aluminum contact – no handlebar galling!"

I won't say anything more as they are merely friends of mine and it is not my place to represent them, but it always bothers me when people try to uses tactics like this.
I never meant my comment to come out that way. G2 makes a great throttle. I would know because I have used them. All I did was improved on the design.

By the way, the quote in your comment section says it all. Maybe next time you want to start an argument you should edit your quote section. Have a nice day. Smile
KGAspeed
11/12/2018 10:59am
902moto wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
Choose your words carefully. G2 does not mis-represent their products and are incredibly stand-up guys that would not try to do what you're doing by misleading...

From their website:

902moto wrote:
I never meant my comment to come out that way. G2 makes a great throttle. I would know because I have used them. All I did...
I never meant my comment to come out that way. G2 makes a great throttle. I would know because I have used them. All I did was improved on the design.

By the way, the quote in your comment section says it all. Maybe next time you want to start an argument you should edit your quote section. Have a nice day. Smile
I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make but did not read much of this post to begin with.

Again, doesn’t matter to me and I’m not arguing at all. Good luck with your product copy.
902moto
11/12/2018 11:07am
KGAspeed wrote:

From their website:

902moto wrote:
I never meant my comment to come out that way. G2 makes a great throttle. I would know because I have used them. All I did...

KGAspeed wrote:
I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make but did not read much of this post to begin with. Again, doesn’t matter to me and...
I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make but did not read much of this post to begin with.

Again, doesn’t matter to me and I’m not arguing at all. Good luck with your product copy.
Copy? Judge for yourself.
11/12/2018 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 12:03pm
902moto wrote:
A slide bushing is also a bearing. Just a different kind of bearing. Ofcourse the plastic bushing has more friction then ball bearings. It will still be less then original though and it's 10x cheaper. Plus it's 100% maintenance free because the delrin material lubricates itself (in contrast to a ball bearing which is prone to sand and water. especially without a proper seal) I can also imagine you'd actually WANT a certain kind of friction when twisting your throttle to be able to maintain proper control through rough bumps and holes. Haven't tried your throttle though. (Disclaimer: I don't know any of the people who make these throttles. Just want to shine a different light on it, instead of a one-sided story)
WW444
11/12/2018 12:39pm
I have run Pro Taper twister tubes on all my bikes. I love them. They are way better than stock in my opinion. However they can be a little sketchy going through chop & bumps because the twist is like butter.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
83rd
11/12/2018 2:05pm
902moto wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:

From their website:

902moto wrote:

G2 has the bushing built into their tubes. They additionally sell an end cap piece that is a bearing called the Jimmy Twister. And it is an actual bearing, not a bushing.
JWACK
11/12/2018 3:05pm
902moto wrote:
Copy? Judge for yourself. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/301979/s1200_ZRT_002.jpg[/img]
Copy? Judge for yourself.
$250.00 for your system!?

Post a reply to: Quick turn throttle tubes.

The Latest