Questions for people with navicular bone breaks

sterbons
2/21/2021 6:17pm
I recently shattered my navicular bone and all I heard in the hostpital was the doctors being surprised I did it on a mountain bike not a motorbike, so it must be a common break for you guys.

I live in the UK and our NHS is stretched out right now so its hard to get any information out of them so I dont know much about my injury, maybe some people with the same experience could help me.

its been over a month since my injury and im due to get my cast off on the 3rd of March for a boot. I shattered my navicular and fractured 2 other bones, ive got 2 plates and a screw in my foot currently but I feel like 2 weeks in a half moon cast and 4 weeks in a full cast isnt enough, with how they explained my foot it didn't sound like 6 weeks is enough healing for a boot.

And with abit of back story explained i was wondering if you could leave your experience below, how long you had a cast, how long you had a boot, what it was like getting back walking, when could you take some force into your foot and just Common things you think would help me on my recovery.

Im 18 and have been doing stunts and "extreme riding" since I was about 8 and this is the first time I've ever broken a bone, so its a new experience for me and im eager to get back riding but im scared I won't be back to 100.

Thanks in advance for any help!
|
cable
2/21/2021 7:20pm
you will be bine. it will be sore and weak for a month or so after you get cast off. i always walked on my casts when i wasnt supposed to. some dr say that is good for blood flow. dont do anything crazy for a few months.
sterbons
2/21/2021 7:30pm
cable wrote:
you will be bine. it will be sore and weak for a month or so after you get cast off. i always walked on my casts...
you will be bine. it will be sore and weak for a month or so after you get cast off. i always walked on my casts when i wasnt supposed to. some dr say that is good for blood flow. dont do anything crazy for a few months.
Thanks for the reply, settles me down as I've been worrying a lot about it lately.
2/21/2021 8:43pm
Isn’t there a navicular in the wrist too?
Hope you heal up soon.
hamncheeze
2/21/2021 11:05pm
Isn’t there a navicular in the wrist too?
Hope you heal up soon.
Yes, technically the same bone in terms of "function" in the joint but mostly the wrist bone is known as the scaphoid. Also a really shitty bone to break.

The Shop

Shawn142
2/21/2021 11:39pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Yes, technically the same bone in terms of "function" in the joint but mostly the wrist bone is known as the scaphoid. Also a really shitty...
Yes, technically the same bone in terms of "function" in the joint but mostly the wrist bone is known as the scaphoid. Also a really shitty bone to break.
Boy tell me about it... I broke my right scaphoid as a teenager and it healed after 6 months. But now as a 40 year old man I've broke my left scaphoid back in May of '20. I'm STILL in a cast and had 2 surgeries to try and make this bone heal and it refuses. The next step is I get the bone removed and my wrist partially fused.
davistld01
2/22/2021 11:26am
Wasn't it a case of breaking the navicular bone that caused Ricky Johnson to park earlier in his career than he'd wanted to back in the day?
Bludwigsen
Fantasy
2933rd
2/22/2021 11:49am
I've broke my scaphoid in march of 2017, which is a similar bone in your wrist and it has been a tough road. I had to get a screw it in at first in June of 2017. They cleared me to start riding in October of 2017 and it just ached the whole time. During my recover from my first surgery, I treated it as any other wrist break and sort of pushed it like we all do. After about a year of it just killing me (the doc saying it was going to hurt for about a year) I went back in to check it out and found it never healed properly. I ended up needing a bone graft to actually fix it in June of 2018. This time I waited 6 months to do really anything and took the recovery VERY seriously and it healed up finally. I have eased back into riding and after 2 years I was able to get back to 100% around March of 2020. My advise is just understand that this is a funny bone to heal. Don't try to push it like a normal wrist/leg/collarbone break. Especially yours being shattered. It's a long road, but it will get better. Best wishes on your recovery, hope this helps!
IanMac138
2/22/2021 12:07pm
Broke my scaphoid badly in 2002. Still hurts to this day and I can't ride without a mobius wrist brace. I probably f'd up by getting back on a bike sooner than recommended though, so I'd just say take your time and do a lot of motion exercises and stretches with your hand/wrist. It's a bad bone to break so take your time healing and hope for the best.
JBlain619
2/22/2021 12:12pm
Broke mine in 1997, had a screw put in it. Took 6 months to heal before I could ride again. I was also prescribed a "bone simulator". If the dr gives you one, double check with your insurance that it will be covered. Had to fight with my insurance for damn near 6 months for them to finally pay for it. Still have limited mobility in it. Just had to adapt my riding because of it.

Good luck!
bvm111
2/22/2021 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 7:15pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Yes, technically the same bone in terms of "function" in the joint but mostly the wrist bone is known as the scaphoid. Also a really shitty...
Shawn142 wrote:
Boy tell me about it... I broke my right scaphoid as a teenager and it healed after 6 months. But now as a 40 year old...
Boy tell me about it... I broke my right scaphoid as a teenager and it healed after 6 months. But now as a 40 year old man I've broke my left scaphoid back in May of '20. I'm STILL in a cast and had 2 surgeries to try and make this bone heal and it refuses. The next step is I get the bone removed and my wrist partially fused.
don’t do the fusion until the very very end!!!
back in 2001 at 6 months post operation mine was a non union with severe necrosis of the section that was closest to the arm since the blood flows from hand to arm through the scaphoid. My hand surgeon told me to do the same thing and i told him to F.O. he gave me another 3 months in the spica splint and he was shocked, calcium was growing in the fracture and the dead bone went from black on the film to a light grey meaning it had life back in it. It finally healed enough at 1 year post op and since the surgeon rode MX i met him for a ride to celebrate.
If you could see the arthritis in my wrist now and all the snap crackle and popping it’s scarier than the non union but the scaphoid is healed, screw still in there.... and i’m still riding 20 years later!

that’s my story and everyone is different, but if you don’t like what the doc is saying get a second opinion!
Kevin852
2/22/2021 12:33pm
I broke my right scaphoid about 15 years ago. Luckily my Ortho did not mess around and wait and I went right to surgery and put a screw in it. Has been asymptomatic for the most part and not really a bother. Had he waited to see if it healed on its own it might be a different result?

2/22/2021 6:04pm
This dude is talking about his foot from what his post says, not his scaphoid. Totally different navicular folks.
JWACK
2/22/2021 6:18pm
I broke my navicular in 2016. Had surgery and hardware installed. Still have the hardware.
Hard cast for 2 weeks then I begged my ortho to let me wear a boot so I could exercise it to keep the blood moving. As you know the navicular can die because of the already poor circulation in the bone. That was my biggest worry.
I ended up getting boot and while laying on the bed or couch I took it off as much as possible to do a bunch of non weight bearing ankle/foot movement to get blood moving. I did exactly as my doctor said and took rehab seriously. Ended up being off work for 4 months and that was too early to go back honestly. But my healthcare was going to be cut off and it put me between a rock and a hard spot. I chose work.

Now over 4 years later my foot is still getting better. It’s probably 75-80% ok and I’m happy with that. 100% movement and a bit of constant pain. The first step in the morning can be horrible but it warms up quick. Not a big deal. If you have a tough day or go for a run just expect to be very sore next day or so.
Do NOT rush it. Listen to your body and take the time to let it heal.
Good luck!

wildbill
2/22/2021 6:24pm
I broke mine in 78 bmx,ing. Doc called it a navicular and it's my right wrist. Still hurts to this day, yet most everything else does too. Good luck on your ankle. Sorry we poached the thread.
redman401
2/22/2021 6:30pm
sterbons wrote:
I recently shattered my navicular bone and all I heard in the hostpital was the doctors being surprised I did it on a mountain bike not...
I recently shattered my navicular bone and all I heard in the hostpital was the doctors being surprised I did it on a mountain bike not a motorbike, so it must be a common break for you guys.

I live in the UK and our NHS is stretched out right now so its hard to get any information out of them so I dont know much about my injury, maybe some people with the same experience could help me.

its been over a month since my injury and im due to get my cast off on the 3rd of March for a boot. I shattered my navicular and fractured 2 other bones, ive got 2 plates and a screw in my foot currently but I feel like 2 weeks in a half moon cast and 4 weeks in a full cast isnt enough, with how they explained my foot it didn't sound like 6 weeks is enough healing for a boot.

And with abit of back story explained i was wondering if you could leave your experience below, how long you had a cast, how long you had a boot, what it was like getting back walking, when could you take some force into your foot and just Common things you think would help me on my recovery.

Im 18 and have been doing stunts and "extreme riding" since I was about 8 and this is the first time I've ever broken a bone, so its a new experience for me and im eager to get back riding but im scared I won't be back to 100.

I shattered my navicular bone when I was 20 (currently 23). It was a very long process for me. Two plates and a lot of screws. I had surgery, and was bedridden for 18 days due to the severity and importance of it not swelling after surgery. After 18 days I was aloud to roam around on crutches, but was very painful if I didn’t elevate every other hour. It took me close to 3 months on crutches before I could walk in a boot. About 2 months in a boot and I could function without boot, but could not run. About a 6 month process total. My doc expressed extreme caution and importance to not put any weight on it for 12 weeks, and I believed him and didn’t test it because I was in so much pain. Definitely my most controversial injury I’ve had to date, but maybe mine was more severe. If you feel the healing process is rushed in your scenario, it is possible that it is.
chasetwo79
2/22/2021 7:21pm
sterbons wrote:
I recently shattered my navicular bone and all I heard in the hostpital was the doctors being surprised I did it on a mountain bike not...

I broke mine at 18 just like you. The most important thing to remember is that the bone gets very low blood flow as it is due to being in a weird place on the hand. It can heal a bit slower so just make sure to get the real okay from your doctor.

After getting my cast off, the doctor said 4-6 weeks and I made it 3 weeks like the idiot I was and the first ride out I rebroke it along with other bones and ligament damage. I was off the bike much longer with the second break and I’ve had a screw in there ever since.

Good luck!
Johnny Depp
2/22/2021 8:50pm
For any difficult break like a navicular or scaphoid, using alternative therapy is helpful. Using and sleeping with an electric magnetic stimulator can increase blood flow dramatically, as can muscle stimulators or a hot tub style whirlpool. Anything that can increase blood flow will help. Also suggest calcium supplements or other holistic style aids. Basically aggressive therapy vs. just waiting.
captmoto
2/23/2021 9:09am
I broke my navicular back in '08. At that time I had to have screwed together and fused to the talus. I was non-weight bearing for 3 months and had PT for 2 more. I lost some flex in my mid foot and it is a little thicker so some boots feel weird on my foot. I didn't have any recovery issues and no problems riding. I actually have a screw that broke off in there and no problems. As long as you didn't have anything fused you should be fine as long as you follow doctors plan.
captmoto
2/23/2021 9:16am
This dude is talking about his foot from what his post says, not his scaphoid. Totally different navicular folks.
"The term navicular bone or hand navicular bone was formerly used for the scaphoid bone, one of the carpal bones of the wrist. The navicular bone in humans is located on the medial side of the foot, and articulates proximally with the talus, distally with the three cuneiform bones, and laterally with the cuboid."

From google. Maybe docs in the UK still call it scaphoid.
Motox627!
2/23/2021 9:34am
hamncheeze wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
Boy tell me about it... I broke my right scaphoid as a teenager and it healed after 6 months. But now as a 40 year old...
Dude... broke mine back in probably 01 or 02 and still have issues. Very limited range of motion (mine is throttle hand) and almost had to re-learn how to use it when riding. Push ups have to be done on my fist and some days it will just randomly hurt for no reason. Such a small bone that can cause some pretty big issues....
IanMac138
2/23/2021 9:21pm
Wow. Incredibly, after I posted about my scaphoid (navicular) break in my wrist, I realized the OG post was about the ankle. And guess what, my wife just broke her navicular in her foot 3 weeks ago. She's been in a moonboot since. We have a great podiatrist and he says to give it another 3 weeks before she can even begin putting weight on it. Sounds like it's a shitty bone to break as well. But as always, listen to your doctors and take your time to heal.
2/24/2021 6:41pm
Broke my Scaphoid (navicular) twice in my left wrist. I was told by my ortho that it was the hardest bone in the body to heal because of a lack of blood flow to it. Broke it ten days before heading to Loretta's. got the cast put on with my thump around a grip so that I could go and race. Cut a glove, taped it on and went racing.

I ended up wearing a cast the first time for 5 1/2 months. It was not fun. Second time around wore a cast for another few months.

Post a reply to: Questions for people with navicular bone breaks

The Latest