Question for southern California riders

305FC250
I was wondering about two tracks over there and was hoping some of you guys in the southern or central Cali areas could answer me.

Is Zaca Station MX still open and if they are, is it open to the public or private?

Also is Piru MX still open at all?

Are there any other public tracks that are less than 3 hours away from Santa Maria, California that aren't coming up on google? Thanks.
|
walent215
10/5/2017 3:49am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 3:51am
Zaca is open to the public but you have to call to get on the list or something like that. Others will chime in on that. Bakersfield has Kcrp motocross and tulare has Dt1 motocross park. Cal city mx park may be more than 3 hours from santa maria, not sure but it would be worth the extra drive, imo.

Edit: not sure on piru but i wasnt impressed with it so i dont keep up with them.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/5/2017 6:37am
Piru has been closed for awhile, but I'm hearing it may open back up here shortly.

Zaca is open and if you're interested in riding there, I can help you get your name on the list. $40 a day to ride. WAY WORTH IT !!

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/5/2017 6:44am
langhammx wrote:
Piru has been closed for awhile, but I'm hearing it may open back up here shortly. Zaca is open and if you're interested in riding there...
Piru has been closed for awhile, but I'm hearing it may open back up here shortly.

Zaca is open and if you're interested in riding there, I can help you get your name on the list. $40 a day to ride. WAY WORTH IT !!
X2 on this. Well worth the $40 and the almost 2 hour drive for me. Track is always awesome.

Glad to hear piru may open again!
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/5/2017 6:59am
As a former SoCal resident, I always thought of Santa Maria as NorCal Smile
Technically central California.
Zaugg
10/5/2017 7:44am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 7:45am
Cal City and LACR shouldn't be too much of a hike. 3+ hrs but solid tracks for sure.

You're close to Zaca, as you know, and to be honest, that place beats just about every place in California-hands down. Oh, every track will have it's loyalist but do a search...everybody loves Zaca. You'll be hard pressed to find a thread asking the same question where someone doesn't recommend Zaca.

It's not perfect but what is? The only cons are shorter lap times and price but it's well worth it. The drive in once you get past the ranch gate is around 12-15min but again...well worth it.

To get in isn't just a matter of getting on the list but rather letting Ed know you're coming. Have someone here get you his phone number. Shoot him a text and let him know you're coming. BOOM! You're on the list. Make a point of finding him, (he's either on the dozer or over at his trailer gearing up to ride). Introduce yourself and say Hi. Compliments go a long way and so do Thank You's. Think of it as a private track where the owner is cool enough to let you ride.

Zaca is just one of those super cool places to ride because it doesn't have a front gate, it isn't commercial, its just a sick track in the middle of nowhere...but close to you.

When you need a change of pace, you have options but, trust me, if Zaca is your local track, you're living in rarefied air.

Enjoy the chocolate cake buddy.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/5/2017 7:50am
Zaca is the best for sure, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Gorman or Hungry Valley OHV has a moto track. Best on Thursdays and Fridays and the weekend. $5 to ride and need a spark arrestor. The track has been really good lately.

Also LACR is in Palmdale
loftyair
10/5/2017 8:28am
there's that track in Lancaster too.
10/5/2017 8:50am
Lived in Santa Maria the last 52 years. Traveled up and down cali for mx races. Nice to have a track 15 minuets away. They don't race at Zaca, but is the best practice track around. Wednesday is a great day to ride with lower number of riders. We do have a couple of private tracks around Santa Maria, but they are secret places, plus I don't want Langhammx to come take our tracks over. STAY IN LA.
seth419
10/5/2017 9:10am
The Enticnap's also have a little track in Lompoc thats fun to ride and work on technique, but it doesn't get any better than Zaca like these guys have already said. Look for Tyler Enticnap on instagram, he will always post when there is a ride day and you get to help out with getting him to the supercross races.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/5/2017 10:55am
loftyair wrote:
there's that track in Lancaster too.
AV is gone now. Track closed like 2 months ago, sadly.
mx_563
10/5/2017 12:55pm
Zaca is the best for sure, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Gorman or Hungry Valley OHV has a moto track. Best on Thursdays and Fridays and the...

Gorman or Hungry Valley OHV has a moto track. Best on Thursdays and Fridays and the weekend. $5 to ride and need a spark arrestor. The track has been really good lately.

Also LACR is in Palmdale
Have they changed the track up at Gorman at all? What makes you say it's been good "lately"? Serious question.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/5/2017 1:10pm
Zaca is the best for sure, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Gorman or Hungry Valley OHV has a moto track. Best on Thursdays and Fridays and the...

Also LACR is in Palmdale
mx_563 wrote:
Have they changed the track up at Gorman at all? What makes you say it's been good "lately"? Serious question.
They have been prepping the track really well and changed it a few months back. The track runs the opposite way.
Motoxdoc
10/5/2017 1:31pm
I don't know about Zaca or Piru but I did the final round of the Golden State Series in 1984 at a Santa Maria track. They had to hold the start of the race to wait for Wardy and Goat to land the helicopter they flew there in after they did a SX the night before, somewhere on the other side of the country I believe. Anyway, as for that Santa Maria track...holy shit! Got sand whoops?! I'm guessing that track isn't there anymore. Sorry I'm no help as I reminisce where you are from.
305FC250
10/6/2017 3:16am
Thanks guys, the reason I asked is because my fiance has a large, paid off house out in Santa Maria and has been wanting to move there so I was looking into places to ride near there if we did make the move.

Post a reply to: Question for southern California riders

The Latest