Question for YZ250 ... which oversize ft rotor?

race
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2018 5:36pm
Finally starting to feel I need a lot more ft brake on my 09 YZ250. Hopefully because I am going faster?

Here are the oversize kits I have found:

Braking W-Flo 270mm rotor

Galfer Tsunami 270mm rotor

MotoStuff 280mm rotor

Moto-Master 270mm Flame rotor

Haven't priced them all out but heard the MotoStuff is pricey due to light weight. Any pros / cons on which one to go with ?
|
EEE299
7/13/2016 12:18pm
Cons, if you have extra wheels it's hard to buy another rotor not in a kit.

Protaper's kit looks decent as well.
mxb2
7/13/2016 12:21pm
race wrote:
Finally starting to feel I need a lot more ft brake on my 09 YZ250. Hopefully because I am going faster? Here are the oversize kits...
Finally starting to feel I need a lot more ft brake on my 09 YZ250. Hopefully because I am going faster?

MotoStuff 280mm rotor

Haven't priced them all out but heard the MotoStuff is pricey due to light weight. Any pros / cons on which one to go with ?
Fresh fluid pads,braided line is a good start.
JWACK
7/13/2016 12:24pm
Tusk makes an oversize rotor kit as well. I have had good luck with them and they are about a third of the price as some of the others.. I think fresh brake pads and bleeding makes all the difference.
race
7/13/2016 12:25pm
race wrote:
Finally starting to feel I need a lot more ft brake on my 09 YZ250. Hopefully because I am going faster? Here are the oversize kits...

MotoStuff 280mm rotor

mxb2 wrote:
Was going to renew all that ... but figured since it seems universally decreed that the YZ250 is one bike that really benefits from an oversize rotor I finally would invest in one.

The Shop

dmm698
7/13/2016 12:29pm
galfer SKW. Non floating, i have one on my new yz smoker. I had an ebc 270 on my last YZ, and have had one of the galfer expensive 300$ or whatever rotor i got in an open package for cheap. The non floating has a better feel in my opinion, and its only like 120$ with a bracket.

Pro taper sucks. There have zero customer support for the rotors. Friend got one for an rm250, it had the wrong number of holes...not just drilled off or something. Pro taper line went right to voice mail, and the one person he did get on the phone said they were just a distributor, and that the part # he had matches the part number they list for an rm250...
mxb2
7/13/2016 12:40pm
race wrote:

MotoStuff 280mm rotor

mxb2 wrote:
race wrote:
Was going to renew all that ... but figured since it seems universally decreed that the YZ250 is one bike that really benefits from an oversize...
Was going to renew all that ... but figured since it seems universally decreed that the YZ250 is one bike that really benefits from an oversize rotor I finally would invest in one.

Sounds good, but as a fan of motostuff, great products. Great service,Scott. Is very helpful.
7/13/2016 12:42pm
I have the galfer oversized bracket with a stock yz450 270 rotor on my 2003 yz250. Definitely one of the better upgrades I made for the bike, but if I were to have bought an entire kit I would go with the tusk. I have heard great things about it from some buddies
C-Rock
7/13/2016 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2016 12:52pm
JWACK wrote:
Tusk makes an oversize rotor kit as well. I have had good luck with them and they are about a third of the price as some...
Tusk makes an oversize rotor kit as well. I have had good luck with them and they are about a third of the price as some of the others.. I think fresh brake pads and bleeding makes all the difference.
I got one for my woods '03 since I was on a budget, not the most "fashionable" but a real good deal, fits perfectly, nicely built, great improvement over stock.
Like most Tusk parts, does the job at a very affordable price.

DrSweden
7/13/2016 1:03pm
Anyone work, but China (Tusk?) I don't know. Another thing is to use what people said, braided line, and maybe softer pads, DOT 5 maybe better than DOT 4? There are high line oils vs cheaper one. Guessing Yamaha is in between. I have older YZ, that used old calipers and reservoirs, which was mushy, and my 2003 even had that stupid routing under the fork, one trick is to change everything to CRF 2007+ complete set up which is a fit (not the bracket). Gone was the mushyness both on my 2006 and 2003. But maybe 2009 are good enough. I have a 260 Galfer and a 270 Galfer, both are tits, spiced with CRF break line, I think I have works breaks! Grinning
Beast666
7/13/2016 1:14pm
DrSweden wrote:
Anyone work, but China (Tusk?) I don't know. Another thing is to use what people said, braided line, and maybe softer pads, DOT 5 maybe better...
Anyone work, but China (Tusk?) I don't know. Another thing is to use what people said, braided line, and maybe softer pads, DOT 5 maybe better than DOT 4? There are high line oils vs cheaper one. Guessing Yamaha is in between. I have older YZ, that used old calipers and reservoirs, which was mushy, and my 2003 even had that stupid routing under the fork, one trick is to change everything to CRF 2007+ complete set up which is a fit (not the bracket). Gone was the mushyness both on my 2006 and 2003. But maybe 2009 are good enough. I have a 260 Galfer and a 270 Galfer, both are tits, spiced with CRF break line, I think I have works breaks! Grinning
Do not use DOT5 brake fluid in a system that had DOT4 init as they are not compatible with each other. Seals will swell up and you will have less to no breaking.
race
7/13/2016 2:31pm
I had forgotten about the whole steel braided line thing. Remember having to do that on old YZs like my '97, etc. Didn't Yamaha upgrade all their bikes to steel braided lines when they went to the Honda style cable routing?

Now I'm having trouble locating the Braking W-Flo 270mm kit which MXA had featured in a build -http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/yamaha-yz250.

The dealers know of the Batfly and some generic 270 mm kit but don't seem to have any info on the W-Flo. Braking appears to be based in Italy with no real USA contacts. I tried the distributor Parts Unlimited and that was a complete waste of time.

Seems like the main differences on these are the lighter ones use an aluminum inner rotor piece attached to a steel outer rotor. Maybe some lighter aluminum hardware as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/13/2016 3:33pm
I'll second the non-floating comment and add this: if you're buying a larger rotor, why not get one which is the largest? 280mm all the way, especially if there's no weight penalty.
7/13/2016 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2016 4:28pm
Personally i changed to a 270 galfer and pads, this was a great improvement, later i installed a stainless line, i removed the line the next week, the stock brake line gave it a more progressive feel and did not " grab" and try to lock up.
And i might be mistaken but i think i finally also used stock yamaha pads in the end.

The most powerfull brakes in the world may not be your solution.

Moral to my story, replace one part at a time.
Rogerson207
7/13/2016 3:58pm
MotoStuff would be my choice if I was to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I have a MotoStuff oversize rotor and bracket on my yz450f and a Tusk oversize kit on my yz250 both work really well but I think the MotoStuff has a better feel and seems to be a little stronger so I give them the edge.
race
7/13/2016 4:08pm
Personally i changed to a 270 galfer and pads, this was a great improvement, later i installed a stainless line, i removed the line the next...
Personally i changed to a 270 galfer and pads, this was a great improvement, later i installed a stainless line, i removed the line the next week, the stock brake line gave it a more progressive feel and did not " grab" and try to lock up.
And i might be mistaken but i think i finally also used stock yamaha pads in the end.

The most powerfull brakes in the world may not be your solution.

Moral to my story, replace one part at a time.
Yes. I just called around and one of the suppliers mentioned that going to the 270mm kit and doing the steel braid lines on the lighter YZ250 can make the brakes into a light switch with little feel or modulation. Probably less of a problem on the heavier 450s.

I think the steel braid line thing was more important back when Yamaha had to use that under the fork bottom routing until the Honda patent finally ran out. Even though the OEMS don't use steel braid lines they do use a form of Kevlar which is still an improvement over the old days. The MXA article also mentioned that most of the testers preferred the feel of the stock pads.

7/13/2016 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2016 5:43pm
I swear by Braking, had several and would say the best mod for the money. It seems like Braking does the best job of matching pad material to rotor material which is critical.
If you know anyone who road races or supermotos ask them about brakes, to them it's like suspension to us.
Premix
7/13/2016 7:25pm
Stay away from floating rotors. Motostuff rotor, galfer line, oem pads, crf master cylinder. Nothin better.

Hudd_421
7/13/2016 7:53pm
I got a full master cylinder/caliper combo for a 2006 CR250 or something (cr and crf 2000-current are the same??) for 60 bucks on ebay. Seems to have more power, and can actually stock the wheel for a change. Feel still isn't as immediate as I'd like, but I haven't bled it a TON like I know you have to sometimes
race
7/14/2016 10:56am
Got a reply from Braking in Italy and it turns out the W-Open is the old model with the W-Flo being the new version of it. The US dealers I spoke with had no clue.

As far as fixed vs float - http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/btr-tech-station/btr-tech-station-brake-systems/brake-discs/fixed-and-floating-brake-discs

"Fixed and Floating Brake Discs

There are three principal types of motorcycle brake discs: fixed, fully floating & semi floating.

A fixed brake disc is a one piece brake disc. That is, its brake pad contact face and wheel mounting face are all part of the same piece of metal. They are relatively cheap to produce and they perform perfectly well within certain parameters, but if they are subjected to serious heat then they are unable to dilate or expand because they are not floating.

Both fully_floating_brake_discs and semi-floating_brake_discs are constructed in two parts. An aluminium centre part which is fixed to the motorcycle wheel and a stainless rotor part which the brake pads push on.

When the rotor is subjected to serious heat it expands. By allowing it to float separately from the mounting face it is free to expand and shrink again at will without being constrained by its mounting. When this expansion takes place is does so in all directions at once and it will not be constrained. If you prevent this from happening in one direction (by fixing it on its mounting face) it has no choice but to warp, so floating_discs and semi-floating_discs are made in two parts to allow the discs to expand and prevent them from warping. This is mainly a high performance type brake disc.

Bikes of more moderate performance can use fixed brake discs perfectly happily and you will also see that most rear brake discs are fixed. This is because they don’t get used as hard and therefore subjected to as much heat. Even so, most rear brake discs are thicker than front brake discs and this is a compromise because the cooling is not as good as the front discs. They don’t get as hot but don’t cool as well either, so the thicker material helps prevent them from warping."

Sounds good to me.
adam8781
7/14/2016 11:51am
galfer skw, 270, its cheap, it wont get play in it like a floating rotor will.

if i was ever to spend bike money on a rotor kit IRP hands down. same build quality as a motostuff kit but for less $
mxpappy711
7/14/2016 12:42pm
Get on e bay and buy a honda Master cylinder. I don't know why but it makes a big difference for very little money. Think mine was 20 bucks.
suzrm144
7/14/2016 12:47pm
The Galfer SKW... It's a solid mount 270mm rotor that works great. Best bang for your buck. Comes with a nice black relocation bracket. Maybe throw in a front steel braided brake line is a good deal also. Between a line and a os rotor is a nice brake upgrade. A line will do wonders for the price keep that in mind....
adam8781
7/14/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2016 9:31pm

also, on the 08+ yz250 they went to a smaller master cylinder piston and smaller caliper with smaller pistons.

switch out the 09 front caliper for a older yz/yzf caliper, the pistons are much bigger. the increase in stopping power is crazy even with stock size rotor

i run
skw 270
ss line
08 master
06 caliper

its the working class factory front brake. love it
C-Rock
7/14/2016 1:53pm
(((what))) wrote:
If Tusk made an airplane, would you fly on it?
I bought a few products from them, motivated by the price and a few good press reviews, but was quite skeptical.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality, fit, finish, and durability, so yes, I probably would.

If money was no object and I wanted to build something factory style, would probably go with Motostuff or Braking.
Cygnus
7/14/2016 2:05pm
(((what))) wrote:
If Tusk made an airplane, would you fly on it?
That's a Harley joke. Had the tshirt back in the early 90's.
murph783
7/15/2016 3:06pm
I run the braking non floating 270mm one with a stock line and the caliper drilled out for a little more air flow, love it. Nice feel, no heat fade, all the braking power you need with one finger
race
7/15/2016 3:15pm
murph783 wrote:
I run the braking non floating 270mm one with a stock line and the caliper drilled out for a little more air flow, love it. Nice...
I run the braking non floating 270mm one with a stock line and the caliper drilled out for a little more air flow, love it. Nice feel, no heat fade, all the braking power you need with one finger
You run the stock Yamaha pads or the Braking pads?

Actually, I have no idea what bike you are on. YZ250?

Post a reply to: Question for YZ250 ... which oversize ft rotor?

The Latest