Question for Ridgeway or anyone that

DanDunes818
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:16am
would like to answer it.. Chris do you think it's fair to put a leg amputee like yourself against guys that are paralyzed. It seems that someone like you that can stand up and use your legs to some extent have a huge advantage over someone that has no use of their legs at all. Ricky James and Doug Henry can't stand up or put their feet down in corners and guys like you can pretty much ride normally in comparison. Chris please don't get me wrong because I'm a huge fan of yours and I do think what you do is admirable and a huge inspiration to others in your situation. I just that I think there should be a different classes because the difference is huge. Has there ever been any discussion about that?

Just curious.
|
jeffro503
7/22/2010 10:44am
I agree Dan..........The should have two separate classes i think. One for amputee's and one for paralysis.

And I also agree Chris is a friggin' stud!
BobbyM
7/22/2010 10:46am
would like to answer it.. Chris do you think it's fair to put a leg amputee like yourself against guys that are paralyzed. It seems that...
would like to answer it.. Chris do you think it's fair to put a leg amputee like yourself against guys that are paralyzed. It seems that someone like you that can stand up and use your legs to some extent have a huge advantage over someone that has no use of their legs at all. Ricky James and Doug Henry can't stand up or put their feet down in corners and guys like you can pretty much ride normally in comparison. Chris please don't get me wrong because I'm a huge fan of yours and I do think what you do is admirable and a huge inspiration to others in your situation. I just that I think there should be a different classes because the difference is huge. Has there ever been any discussion about that?

Just curious.
and i think it should make distinction between AK and BK.,..but it is what it is. and ridgeway is a badass...but good points dan
huck
7/22/2010 10:47am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2010 10:48am
That's like asking guys on a 450 four stroke if they thought they had an advantage in the 250cc 2 stroke class....

Chris didn't make the rule, he just goes out there and races.

I agree ...2 classes.
chase187
7/22/2010 11:19am
There are two classes, well at least at the X Games this year.

The Shop

Vet145
7/22/2010 11:35am
Chris has said before that he agrees that the classes should be seperate. As Huck said, he just wants to race and goes by the rules in place.
ocscottie
7/22/2010 11:40am
chase187 wrote:
Pretty sure they also awarded medals for both amputees and paras at last years X, but it was behind the scenes and not really televised.

I could be wrong, but thought i remember Rickys dad mentioning it.
DanDunes818
7/22/2010 12:10pm
chase187 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Pretty sure they also awarded medals for both amputees and paras at last years X, but it was behind the scenes and not really televised. I...
Pretty sure they also awarded medals for both amputees and paras at last years X, but it was behind the scenes and not really televised.

That's cool if they really did that Scottie.The amputees and the paralyzed are all studs and I'm very happy that espn and the Xgames have the event. I was just curious if I was the only one thinking it was a little unfair. I would imagine the event has inspired countless guys to get up and enjoy life even though they are disabled.

It's amazing how many guys in wheel chairs have started riding since that first video Ricky James made of himself riding. 1st time I saw it I was cheering loudly while watching in amazement. I may be wrong but I can't think of one paralyzed rider that road after their accident before Ricky made that video but since then there have been many and it's awesome to see. I'm sure the first thing Doug Henry was thinking while laying in the hospital was at least I can still ride and we can thank Ricky for that. I also remember watching the video of Bailey riding with Ricky and I was all choked up. There's no worse accident in the sport. I actually remember thinking that I'd rather die in a crash then end up paralyzed but guys like Ricky James and countless others like Ridge have shown that no matter what disability you have life is worth living.

Thanks guys.
RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
7/22/2010 1:45pm
chase187 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Pretty sure they also awarded medals for both amputees and paras at last years X, but it was behind the scenes and not really televised. I...

Last year they wanted to give medals to the paras behind the scenes but ESPN just didn't have the medals to give. This year they will. On TV it will look like one race, but two sets of medals will be awarded.
chase187
7/22/2010 1:53pm
That sucks, I got the impression that it would be a split into two categories, would be nice to see each group race its own race.
ocscottie
7/22/2010 2:10pm
chase187 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:

RanelC10 wrote:
Last year they wanted to give medals to the paras behind the scenes but ESPN just didn't have the medals to give. This year they will...
Last year they wanted to give medals to the paras behind the scenes but ESPN just didn't have the medals to give. This year they will. On TV it will look like one race, but two sets of medals will be awarded.
Thanks for clarifying it up Bo. You riding it this year? If you are, Kick some ass brother!
RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
7/22/2010 2:59pm
ocscottie wrote:
Thanks for clarifying it up Bo. You riding it this year? If you are, Kick some ass brother!
Yeah, I will be there. Really looking forward to it, the track looks awesome this year!
MX45
7/22/2010 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2010 3:37pm
You guys are all friggin nuts. You all deserve a gold medal and prime time tv coverage just for lining up and putting your helmet on.
swtwtwtw
7/22/2010 6:22pm
MX45 wrote:
You guys are all friggin nuts. You all deserve a gold medal and prime time tv coverage just for lining up and putting your helmet on.
Check this out--Sampie Erasmus(paralyzed from Chest down) from South Africa at Starwest in CA
http://www.idiotboyz.com/Starwest0721.html
redrider400
7/22/2010 7:48pm
Thats insane. I would be done if I was paralyzed. I dont think that I could tempt fate twice.
ridge
7/23/2010 9:41am
would like to answer it.. Chris do you think it's fair to put a leg amputee like yourself against guys that are paralyzed. It seems that...

Just curious.
I agree with you. I've tried to get the classes separated but ESPN won't allow it.
jndmx
7/23/2010 9:47am

Just curious.
ridge wrote:
I agree with you. I've tried to get the classes separated but ESPN won't allow it.
Probably has to do with the amount of air time they give the event.
I'm glad that they are giving you guys in both classes your due by having the event.

And let me echo the sentiment that all the guys that line up for the adaptive mx are inspiring to watch....
To go out there and never let anything stop you from doing what you want is awesome.

Makes me feel like a pussy for not riding anymore because of a bum knee....lol.
TeamGreen
7/23/2010 9:48am
This yrs race between the Para-guys looks to be simply insane-fast!

At the Extremity Games Sampie was ON FIRE and I think the rest of the guys are gettin' "Their Game On" and goin' after his fast-ass at the X-Games.

Also, I think the Amputee's are gonna have an awesome race. There's "New-Blood"; but, Ridge is far too good of a racer to worry about them...so...I hope all the "Newbies" bring their A-Game.

Good luck to EVERYONE.
ridge
7/23/2010 10:04am
TeamGreen wrote:
This yrs race between the Para-guys looks to be simply insane-fast! At the Extremity Games Sampie was ON FIRE and I think the rest of the...

At the Extremity Games Sampie was ON FIRE and I think the rest of the guys are gettin' "Their Game On" and goin' after his fast-ass at the X-Games.

Also, I think the Amputee's are gonna have an awesome race. There's "New-Blood"; but, Ridge is far too good of a racer to worry about them...so...I hope all the "Newbies" bring their A-Game.

Good luck to EVERYONE.
Yeah, I don't see anyone beating Sampie! He's been living with me and we ride just about every day. He wants it bad! We are heading out to Racetown 395 later today.

I feel pretty good about my chances right now but I'm not taking anything for granted. My ribs and shoulders are 100% and I feel great on the bike.

I know Mike is fast in SX but I'm not sure what to expect from Todd. I know I used to be faster than any of these guys ever were, but I'm older too! If I do get beaten, I'll at least know that I did my homework and gave it everything I had.
TeamGreen
7/23/2010 10:12am
TeamGreen wrote:
This yrs race between the Para-guys looks to be simply insane-fast! At the Extremity Games Sampie was ON FIRE and I think the rest of the...

Good luck to EVERYONE.
ridge wrote:
Yeah, I don't see anyone beating Sampie! He's been living with me and we ride just about every day. He wants it bad! We are heading...
Yeah, I don't see anyone beating Sampie! He's been living with me and we ride just about every day. He wants it bad! We are heading out to Racetown 395 later today.

I feel pretty good about my chances right now but I'm not taking anything for granted. My ribs and shoulders are 100% and I feel great on the bike.

I know Mike is fast in SX but I'm not sure what to expect from Todd. I know I used to be faster than any of these guys ever were, but I'm older too! If I do get beaten, I'll at least know that I did my homework and gave it everything I had.
Todd's been pretty well focused and we FINALLY have the bike right for him...

Funny-thing: While interviewing with Weigandt, Todd commented that he's never had as much respect for someone he's trying to beat. Ever.

That says a lot.

Post a reply to: Question for Ridgeway or anyone that

The Latest