Question about mxgp riders.

drt410
6/14/2018 2:12pm
I never really thought about this but why do you mostly see American riders at the one off events around the world like straight rythm, Aux-x open, Paris sx, Monster Energy Cup. Gajser was one of the first at the MEC last year right? Is it because its all supercross style events? I just thought about this the other day you should be able to see US vs Euro riders battle more often than just USGP and MXoN. Why cant we watch Cairolli vs Tomac at Paris, Aus-x, or straight rythm? I do remember some like indoor mx with Herlings and Dungey but it really was just a sandy indoor mx cant remember where. Theres way more chances we should have than USGP and MXoN.
|
DonM
6/14/2018 2:24pm
drt410 wrote:
I never really thought about this but why do you mostly see American riders at the one off events around the world like straight rythm, Aux-x...
I never really thought about this but why do you mostly see American riders at the one off events around the world like straight rythm, Aux-x open, Paris sx, Monster Energy Cup. Gajser was one of the first at the MEC last year right? Is it because its all supercross style events? I just thought about this the other day you should be able to see US vs Euro riders battle more often than just USGP and MXoN. Why cant we watch Cairolli vs Tomac at Paris, Aus-x, or straight rythm? I do remember some like indoor mx with Herlings and Dungey but it really was just a sandy indoor mx cant remember where. Theres way more chances we should have than USGP and MXoN.
Two words....Start Money...other than MEC
kb228
6/14/2018 2:31pm
Here we go...
drt410
6/14/2018 2:54pm
kb228 wrote:
Here we go...
Lol not tryin to start an argument its true. Im just wondering why. I was watching Webb and Reed battle at the Aus-x open n wondered why theres no Gp riders there too.
MXMattii
6/14/2018 2:56pm
DonM wrote:
With all respect, nothing to do with start money. The people in Paris is one of those events who are doing great work and are still paying big bucks. But sometimes teams are against it and sometimes riders are just not into it.

Three years ago world champion Romain Febvre raced at Supercross Lille (former Bercy - now back Paris), he did great but then in 2016 he lacked rhythm and confidence after a season full of injuries. Same with Gautier Paulin who did great things in the Supercross of Bercy back in the day against for example Barcia and Canard.

Back in 2010 for example Bercy got Cairoli and Musquin on the entry list, that costs money. But if you want a real US vs MXGP race then you've to pay European supercross start money and let them race a track like back in the day at the Fast Cross in Italy or maybe like Eric Geboers dreamed about: Namur! Out of competition like they race the Isle of man TT.

The Shop

DonM
6/14/2018 4:10pm
DonM wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
With all respect, nothing to do with start money. The people in Paris is one of those events who are doing great work and are still...
With all respect, nothing to do with start money. The people in Paris is one of those events who are doing great work and are still paying big bucks. But sometimes teams are against it and sometimes riders are just not into it.

Three years ago world champion Romain Febvre raced at Supercross Lille (former Bercy - now back Paris), he did great but then in 2016 he lacked rhythm and confidence after a season full of injuries. Same with Gautier Paulin who did great things in the Supercross of Bercy back in the day against for example Barcia and Canard.

Back in 2010 for example Bercy got Cairoli and Musquin on the entry list, that costs money. But if you want a real US vs MXGP race then you've to pay European supercross start money and let them race a track like back in the day at the Fast Cross in Italy or maybe like Eric Geboers dreamed about: Namur! Out of competition like they race the Isle of man TT.
Oh yes it does, the Americans(and US based international riders) are at the international SX races because they are paid to be there and they typically are not paying the GP riders if they do its not the same amount as the Americans...and right now AusX Open is paying very well for them to show up... Many US riders can make more money in the off season than they do the rest of the year...just ask JT$....This has nothing to do with US vs MXGP
drt410
6/14/2018 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 5:29pm
Why wont they pay the GP riders? I think it would be great for the sport to see the moto worlds come together more often than just 2 races. It would be awesome for the fans. At leasttttt Straight Rythm that would be sweet and they dont even have to do full races. Even just one top GP guy would be fun. By top I mean Cairolli or Herlings.
MXMattii
6/15/2018 7:32am
The Europeans who can ride supercross are also making tons of money. Look at Soubeyras, Ramette, Izoird,... They don't care about racing mxgp because they are making big startmoney by riding ArenacrossUK, German SX, French SX and all other races in Europe. Last rumor about that was 200k a year but it's hard work every weekend racing a other country and sometimes even a other bike.
hamncheeze
6/15/2018 8:48am
MXMattii wrote:
The Europeans who can ride supercross are also making tons of money. Look at Soubeyras, Ramette, Izoird,... They don't care about racing mxgp because they are...
The Europeans who can ride supercross are also making tons of money. Look at Soubeyras, Ramette, Izoird,... They don't care about racing mxgp because they are making big startmoney by riding ArenacrossUK, German SX, French SX and all other races in Europe. Last rumor about that was 200k a year but it's hard work every weekend racing a other country and sometimes even a other bike.
It's hard work but it isn't hard work. For the guys like Ramette and Soubeyras they don't have to train nearly as hard to race SX and AX as if they were riding MXGP. So maybe 200K with not as much physical suffering is more attractive to them.

Lastander
6/15/2018 9:17am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 9:17am
MXMattii wrote:
The Europeans who can ride supercross are also making tons of money. Look at Soubeyras, Ramette, Izoird,... They don't care about racing mxgp because they are...
hamncheeze wrote:
It's hard work but it isn't hard work. For the guys like Ramette and Soubeyras they don't have to train nearly as hard to race SX...
It's hard work but it isn't hard work. For the guys like Ramette and Soubeyras they don't have to train nearly as hard to race SX and AX as if they were riding MXGP. So maybe 200K with not as much physical suffering is more attractive to them.

I dont make 200k $ a year as a fulltime plumber, sometimes being waist deep in shit for a living, so i guess ”hard work” to me aint something you could apply to riding mx...
Yeah yeah i know its hard training 6 times a week but shit if i could live only by riding my bike i would be happy as hell by doing that ”hard work”...
Rant over
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
6/15/2018 9:22am
"Why cant we watch Cairolli vs Tomac at Paris, Aus-x, or straight rythm?"

They have too much to lose. They can not disperse. Too much concentration, too much effort to be on top in SX and MX.

To be successful, you have to focus on. The rest of the time at rest.
mx_563
6/15/2018 9:32am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 9:33am
Why would you risk getting hurt at a one-off event in a discipline that you don't regularly engage in? Compare the attrition rate of US riders to that of GP riders and where most of the injuries take place (SX). If I'm a GP rider that makes decent money, I'm not rolling the dice on some one-off Supercross-type event. You see how that went for Gajser. On the other hand, if I'm a GP rider that doesn't make much money, then I probably can't afford to fly halfway around the world to do a one-off race (not to mention organizing a bike and support).

If I was a Euro-based guy, I would also have to factor in the cost of medical treatment in the USA and the possibility that my Euro-based insurance would be insufficient to cover treatment in the USA, should that be necessary.

I would also add that Euro based guys ARE racing other events besides just the GPs. You may not know about it, but they race national series, and one off international events in late winter, etc.

And lastly, the US based riders typically complain of having too many events that they are contractually obligated to do. If anything, I bet US guys would like to trade schedules with Euro guys. Not the other way around.

6/15/2018 9:39am
Wasn't there some sort of red bull event some years ago where Cairoli and Dungey went head to head?
TDeath21
6/15/2018 10:18am
Because they’re all SX based and cater to the AMA series. I’m guessing if you had a “Monster Million” at Glen Helen, you’d see all the top guys in the world show up for that opportunity.
hamncheeze
6/15/2018 10:41am
TDeath21 wrote:
Because they’re all SX based and cater to the AMA series. I’m guessing if you had a “Monster Million” at Glen Helen, you’d see all the...
Because they’re all SX based and cater to the AMA series. I’m guessing if you had a “Monster Million” at Glen Helen, you’d see all the top guys in the world show up for that opportunity.
Now we are talking. A Monster Energy Cup of MX!
6/15/2018 12:00pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Now we are talking. A Monster Energy Cup of MX!
that would be awesome ... all the heavy hitters racing each other , and make it 3 moto's like the MEC
MXMattii
6/15/2018 4:33pm
You people clearly are to young and never learned your history. Fast Cross was like a MEC motocross race with a few SX obstacles and with all lot of the heavy hitters, hosted in Italy so the chance for bad weather was slim.

Fast Cross 1999 from VM News on Vimeo.

Fast Cross 2000 from VM News on Vimeo.

6/17/2018 2:34am
MXMattii wrote:
hamncheeze wrote:
It's hard work but it isn't hard work. For the guys like Ramette and Soubeyras they don't have to train nearly as hard to race SX...

Lastander wrote:
I dont make 200k $ a year as a fulltime plumber, sometimes being waist deep in shit for a living, so i guess ”hard work” to...
I dont make 200k $ a year as a fulltime plumber, sometimes being waist deep in shit for a living, so i guess ”hard work” to me aint something you could apply to riding mx...
Yeah yeah i know its hard training 6 times a week but shit if i could live only by riding my bike i would be happy as hell by doing that ”hard work”...
Rant over
Hardly the same thing.
Slim chance that you mess up with your pipe wrench and end up in a wheelchair.
IF you had the talent to live of your racing, then you'd probably secretly dream about coasting around town, taking long lunches, and not risking your life as a plumber.
The group of guys you're talking about is maybe 10 deep, at most, so dont waste your time being bitter over it. Wink
Sideways
6/17/2018 2:52am
Wasn't there some sort of red bull event some years ago where Cairoli and Dungey went head to head?
Maybe you are thinking of this? It was Herlings vs dungey and musquin. And its not really a SX track but herlings won. And a big reason for that was that both Musquin and Dungey came with SX suspension, they would have been way better of with MX suspension.

https://youtu.be/xb0DlCqqDwE
keinz
6/17/2018 6:28am Edited Date/Time 6/17/2018 6:30am
drt410 wrote:
I never really thought about this but why do you mostly see American riders at the one off events around the world like straight rythm, Aux-x...
Are you serious? Let's take the last decade. Europeans who raced the one off nationals.
De Reuver, De Dycker, Desalle, Strijbos, Simpson, Herlings. And mayby I forgot someone.
How many americans raced the MXGP like one off event? Zero
So, what's your point?
6/17/2018 1:15pm
Sideways wrote:
Maybe you are thinking of this? It was Herlings vs dungey and musquin. And its not really a SX track but herlings won. And a big...
Maybe you are thinking of this? It was Herlings vs dungey and musquin. And its not really a SX track but herlings won. And a big reason for that was that both Musquin and Dungey came with SX suspension, they would have been way better of with MX suspension.

Watching that guy ride reminds me why I love this sport, definitely up there with the greats MC RC bubba, all machines at their peak
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
6/17/2018 1:20pm
Sideways wrote:
Maybe you are thinking of this? It was Herlings vs dungey and musquin. And its not really a SX track but herlings won. And a big...

Herlings won the last Moto. Gasjer was the class of the field but crashed out of race 2. Febvre, Herlings and Dungey all had issues too. Dungey won the O/A in his first race back from the neck injury.

Post a reply to: Question about mxgp riders.

The Latest