Question about bike builds

downard254
Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 9:10pm
For you guys who do these incredible bike builds. Do you keep them, or sell them. If you sell them, do you at least get your money back out of the build? Reason I'm asking is, I was given a fairly unbent '83 YZ250. It is siezed up, but I was thinking of rebuilding it into a solid rideable bike. Fresh top end, pull cases apart and new seals (bearings if needed), new swingarm/steering bearings, fork and shock rebuild and misc. cosmetic cleanup. Am I going to wind up with way more in it than what it's worth. I wouldn't mind selling it and using the money to buy my son a decent 125.
Thoughts anyone?
|
Kawapilot
3/15/2015 2:02am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 2:11am
Yesterday i saw an exellent 1982 YZ 490 on Ebay. The current bid was 2.500$

You have to find a lover for your bike. Good Luck.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
3/15/2015 3:31am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 3:34am
You would almost be at a break even point or lose some. Most of the time the build will end up costing you a few thousand more than what it's worth. Usually this is the simple fact that the build is something most of us dreamed of as a kid and now being adults we can do what ever we want to the bike. You have your few vintage bikes that are built and worth a lot of money due to it being something sought after for a collector. not to sure about your specific yz but sometimes those vintage bikes like what you have parts go for a good bit of money.
nickm
3/15/2015 6:16am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 6:17am
I restore a 1980s era 490/500 every winter. I sell them at the end of winter. Lose money on every bike...its not about the money, its a hobby.
3/15/2015 7:21am
downard254 wrote:
For you guys who do these incredible bike builds. Do you keep them, or sell them. If you sell them, do you at least get your...
For you guys who do these incredible bike builds. Do you keep them, or sell them. If you sell them, do you at least get your money back out of the build? Reason I'm asking is, I was given a fairly unbent '83 YZ250. It is siezed up, but I was thinking of rebuilding it into a solid rideable bike. Fresh top end, pull cases apart and new seals (bearings if needed), new swingarm/steering bearings, fork and shock rebuild and misc. cosmetic cleanup. Am I going to wind up with way more in it than what it's worth. I wouldn't mind selling it and using the money to buy my son a decent 125.
Thoughts anyone?
Really depends how you do the build. If you do all the engine work, all the suspension work and just do a really clean rebuild you can often make a little if you picked the bike up very cheap. I end up riding them a bit, picking my favorite and riding that one for the season before selling. If you do builds like many of us, and it's more about the fun you have during the build, and you ship your suspension off, build a hot rod motor, powder coat everything, throw every bolt in in the world at it... You are probably not making money when you sell it, at best if some guy reallllly loves it you might get your money back..... All that being said, it's really fun to sell them and see a guy drive off w a huge smile cause he just bought a bike he has fantasies about for the last 10 years, or that he actually rode or raced back in the day.

The Shop

yanks_178
3/15/2015 9:16am
I spent $4000 doing a 95 YZ 125.. couldn't get a person to look at it for 2K so it is still in my basement.
Spagina767
3/15/2015 10:29am
I just built a 2003 CR 125 that I won't come close to breaking even on. I need to sell it thogh, so oh well.
downard254
3/15/2015 10:37am
downard254 wrote:
For you guys who do these incredible bike builds. Do you keep them, or sell them. If you sell them, do you at least get your...
Thoughts anyone?
Really depends how you do the build. If you do all the engine work, all the suspension work and just do a really clean rebuild you...
Really depends how you do the build. If you do all the engine work, all the suspension work and just do a really clean rebuild you can often make a little if you picked the bike up very cheap. I end up riding them a bit, picking my favorite and riding that one for the season before selling. If you do builds like many of us, and it's more about the fun you have during the build, and you ship your suspension off, build a hot rod motor, powder coat everything, throw every bolt in in the world at it... You are probably not making money when you sell it, at best if some guy reallllly loves it you might get your money back..... All that being said, it's really fun to sell them and see a guy drive off w a huge smile cause he just bought a bike he has fantasies about for the last 10 years, or that he actually rode or raced back in the day.
Well, the bike was given to me. It's dirty, little bit of scuffed plastic that could probably be brought back to life with some good cleaning, and actually, I think the steering and swingarm bearings are o.k., might just need greased. Will have to get it apart to be sure.

I know all to well about building them for fun, and selling them for a loss. I built a Shelby 427 Cobra about 20 years ago. Sold it about 10 years ago. I didn't keep track of how much I had into it, probably over $45k, then sold it for $35k. Also was going to build a GT40, but never got that one done. Had to sell it before it was completed. Lost almost $20k on that one. Hey, we all live and learn right.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/15/2015 12:37pm
downard254 wrote:
Thoughts anyone?
Really depends on the bike, but even most desirable bikes wont get out what you have into it. You have to do it out of love, or at least that's why I do it. Some times you'll get luck and a guy will come along and ask you to do his bike and he will pay all the bills, I had that 3 times and another coming up.

yzweldon
3/15/2015 12:55pm

I have @ $1500 in this jewel and wouldn't sell it for 3 times that.
Sandberm
3/15/2015 12:58pm
You can do like I did and spend soooo much $$$ to get the proper shop that theres no money left to do projects in it.

Does anybody have some good stock picks that I can make some quick money on?

That Suzuki is incredible looking yzweldon!
liamjumper
3/15/2015 3:24pm
I'm building a 2005 RM125 right now and I've put enough money into it I could have bought a brand new bike. I can't really see how you could ever turn them for profit if you're really making it nice. I'm just building mine to ride it cause I know its going to be a fun bike. By the time I'm finished building my bike I'll have put around $7500 CAD into it, but I could maybe get 4500-5000 for it, yet around here, I'd never find a buyer.
downard254
3/15/2015 3:49pm
Well, an '83 YZ250 wasn't actually a classic, doubt too many people are looking for one. I've always been a Suzuki guy, but like I said above, it was given to me, it isn't trashed, just dirty, and motor seized, but that could both be better or worse than expected. Prudence tells me not to do it, but my gut really wants to. I think it would be pretty cool to fix'er up. Not pristine, but solid and clean. Rideable, or vintage raceable, but not fully restored. Hell, I'll do it. I'll make it an "old school moto" project bike. I'll keep track of the numbers and make it a test to see just how cheap or expensive it can be done.
41NDT
3/15/2015 4:51pm
yzweldon wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/15/83893/s1200_20150220_154600.jpg[/img] I have @ $1500 in this jewel and wouldn't sell it for 3 times that.

I have @ $1500 in this jewel and wouldn't sell it for 3 times that.
Nice!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/15/2015 4:58pm
downard254 wrote:
Well, an '83 YZ250 wasn't actually a classic, doubt too many people are looking for one. I've always been a Suzuki guy, but like I said...
Well, an '83 YZ250 wasn't actually a classic, doubt too many people are looking for one. I've always been a Suzuki guy, but like I said above, it was given to me, it isn't trashed, just dirty, and motor seized, but that could both be better or worse than expected. Prudence tells me not to do it, but my gut really wants to. I think it would be pretty cool to fix'er up. Not pristine, but solid and clean. Rideable, or vintage raceable, but not fully restored. Hell, I'll do it. I'll make it an "old school moto" project bike. I'll keep track of the numbers and make it a test to see just how cheap or expensive it can be done.
I've done one where I just stripped it down, had the parts blasted and coated, did the top end, cleaned the bolts and put it together all cleaned up and I did it under 800 bucks. You don't have to go all out to do it, listen to your gut.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
3/15/2015 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 5:00pm
Like mentioned above you're building it for yourself first and foremost. I bought a 2014 250sx for $6,500; sent the suspension to FC, bought an FMF system, wheels, did motor work, boyesen side covers and a few other odds and ends. I probably had 9 grand into the thing and sold it this fall for $5,950. So stupid of me to do it while house shopping and then finding a home we wanted and lacked the down payment. Oh well, bought the house and now I'm building a CR125. Bought the bike blown up for 700 and already have 1k in parts bought. I'm literally never selling this bike though, so I'm making it how I want.

My first big/new bike was a 03 CR125, so I'll always have one in my shed (well 02.... I could get more creative with the motor Evil )
tydog
3/15/2015 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 5:11pm
I am not sure that anything that I have done falls into the incredible category but so far I have kept all of mine. If you do not get too carried away you can get your investment back, otherwise you are fugged. Machinists make horrible resto guys, trust me.
Randy Savage
3/15/2015 5:12pm

I keep em. Race em. This one is so dialed at this point I'd be dumb to hock it. Garage queens are for dorks, sorry.

TNL830
3/15/2015 6:54pm
My last real bike build was my YZ325, but after I was said and done with it, It just wasn't what I wanted sold it for 7K, with a total of 12.5K invested(bike plus parts). I ended up buying the 14.5FE the next day and paid for the wife to remodel the kitchen.

lumpy790
3/15/2015 7:04pm
downard254 wrote:
Thoughts anyone?
I think most are keepers.

FYI Moto Hose will have Silicone radiator hoses for the 1983 - 1989 YZ250's in a few weeks.
3/15/2015 8:59pm
I keep em. Race em. This one is so dialed at this point I'd be dumb to hock it. Garage queens are for dorks, sorry. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/15/83908/s1200_1110141236.jpg[/img]

I keep em. Race em. This one is so dialed at this point I'd be dumb to hock it. Garage queens are for dorks, sorry.

That's one bad ass rm you got there randy savage. What year?
3/15/2015 9:10pm
downard254 wrote:
Thoughts anyone?
Like everyone is saying, you build them for the joy of it. If you plan on selling them you plan to take a loss. I'm doing a 94 cr250 that isn't so much a restore but a resto mod. Going for the look and feel of that era but putting as much late model stuff on as I can. No plans of selling it cause I know I'll never get out of it what I'll have into it. That's fine by me.
Maybe you and your son could go threw it together. Could be a good learning/bonding experiance.

Post a reply to: Question about bike builds

The Latest