Question about an engine issue on a 98 RM250

flatout111
I've got a chance to pick up an old RM250 for dirt, dirt cheap. However, the engine is locked and guy says it needs new top and bottom rebuild. What kinda costs are we looking at? I always loved the late 90's RMs so would be cool to do a Albie or MC-ish bike...not a complete replica, just influenced by...but is having to redo the motor even worth it, cost wise? Thanks.
|
Jasper125
8/26/2017 6:39am
So what im told by an Suzuki expert is with all those engine's 125/250 from around that time is. The powervalve (older 90's models had 2 valve's) would wear and it would peek through the port into the cilinder and the piston catches on the powervalve sticking out thats something you should check otherwise it will seize again...
8/26/2017 6:39am
That depends on so many things. Will you do the work yourself? It needs to be torn down to determine all that is wrong. The price could be anywhere from something like $400 to $2000 if you do it yourself and depending on if it needs a crank, clutch, gears and shift forks, new cylinder, etc. Tear it down then get back with me.
flatout111
8/26/2017 6:55am
I haven't picked it up yet. Honestly, I doubt will do it myself. I can do top end but clueless when comes to bottom end and an amateur mechanic at best. I wonder if is something I should even consider seriously.
pete24
8/26/2017 7:01am
the problem with old suzukis is that the parts are wicked expensive, and cuz its a old suzuki it will need at least a whole clutch as in basket presure plate and hub , plus there is most likely worn tranny parts, i love old suzukis but they were not built to last

The Shop

8/26/2017 7:51am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 7:52am
flatout111 wrote:
I haven't picked it up yet. Honestly, I doubt will do it myself. I can do top end but clueless when comes to bottom end and...
I haven't picked it up yet. Honestly, I doubt will do it myself. I can do top end but clueless when comes to bottom end and an amateur mechanic at best. I wonder if is something I should even consider seriously.
I'd stay clear of it then unless you just have a couple thousand you can't wait to get rid of. Pete's post above, he's onto it too. A bike like that (old and froze up) you're probably going to end up replacing just about everything in the engine. Again, no telling what you'll find during the tear-down.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
8/26/2017 8:11am
flatout111 wrote:
I haven't picked it up yet. Honestly, I doubt will do it myself. I can do top end but clueless when comes to bottom end and...
I'd stay clear of it then unless you just have a couple thousand you can't wait to get rid of. Pete's post above, he's onto it...
I'd stay clear of it then unless you just have a couple thousand you can't wait to get rid of. Pete's post above, he's onto it too. A bike like that (old and froze up) you're probably going to end up replacing just about everything in the engine. Again, no telling what you'll find during the tear-down.
I concur. It "might" be worth it if you did all the labor yourself, but paying labor to have it done does not make economical sense.

It would be cheaper to find a higher priced running bike.
scooter5002
8/26/2017 9:06am
How cheap is dirt cheap? Actual price. You could buy it, if it looks decent, and fix it yourself. Learning by doing, with a good manual, and proper tools, is easy. Common sense goes a long way. If it's priced right, and looks good, you could buy it, and part it out, if it's an internal write off.
NorCal 50+
8/26/2017 5:06pm
I got quoted a price for splitting RM250 cases at a local dealer today- 8 hours at $96/hour. Ouch.
Better fire up the YouTube videos. Woohoo
scooter5002
8/26/2017 5:34pm
Holy hell, no shit. Thievin' bastards. I could roll that bike into my shop complete and have it completely disassembled in 2 hours.

Post a reply to: Question about an engine issue on a 98 RM250

The Latest