Quad to bike

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2021 2:24 PM

I’m looking to get a 2 stroke dirt bike and Was deciding between a 125 and 250 I have 2 years of experience on a banshee quad at dunes mainly, and have rode a dirt bike 1 or 2 time before I’m 15 and weight 180 and I’m 5’11 give me your advice

|

1/21/2021 2:26 PM

REALLY?

Aww...c'mon....

|

Make sure you downvote!

1/21/2021 2:31 PM

Keep the Banshee and post up some bangers kid

|

1/21/2021 2:35 PM

125 and get some lessons. It will teach you technique and the physics of turning a motorcycle.

|

1/21/2021 2:39 PM

I'll come back in a couple of hours and see how this is going.

|

1/21/2021 2:56 PM

Dylan350 wrote:

I’m looking to get a 2 stroke dirt bike and Was deciding between a 125 and 250 I have 2 years of experience on a banshee quad at dunes mainly, and have rode a dirt bike 1 or 2 time before I’m 15 and weight 180 and I’m 5’11 give me your advice

Depends a bit on what type of riding you plan to do, but here's my advice based on my own experience.

I rode quads exclusively for over 10 years before hopping on a bike. I'd wanted to give it a shot, but could only afford one or the other until I'd gotten out of college. I purchased an RM125 because I'd always wanted one, and found a deal too good to pass up. The bike ended up needing a lot of work, and in the meantime I got hired to an "industry job" where I was invited to go riding my first week there. I quickly found just how poor my skills were with a twist throttle and things happened too fast on the KTM250SX-F I was given for me to stay out of the dirt.

After that, I waited to ride again until I'd completed my 125, and when it was said and done I actually was able to feel comfortable getting around a track. Within a year I adapted to using a twist throttle and could put in laps at the tracks in California without my life flashing before my eyes more than once or twice in a day.

All that to say, my vote would be a 125. You're going to have a hard time getting into big trouble because it doesn't have much power, and by the time it gets going you should be able to make corrections. It's forgiving, and a great platform to learn on. And, to go fast, you'll have to actually learn proper technique. A bigger bike may be easier to ride in some aspects - I certainly hated my life trying to ride single track in the mud here in the Northwest with my buddies - but it's better to tip over and get back up than it is to launch yourself into orbit if you make a mistake.

The only caveat is if you continue to ride sand. I wouldn't ever attempt to take my own 125 out in the Oregon dunes. You'll blow the bike up or bury yourself in no time. Riding a bike in the sand is hard, though, so I probably wouldn't try it out until you're very comfortable on the dirt first.

Other than that, just don't get discouraged by the challenge or the people that might give you a hard time. The skill will develop quicker than you'd think since you've got experience riding other machines, and it's great that you're starting out still fairly young.

|

1/21/2021 3:07 PM

Where will this thread go.... oh boy pinch silly

|

1/21/2021 3:13 PM

MotofactioN wrote:

When I read it originally I had some pretty good stuff to say, but then I saw he was 15 and couldn’t do it anymore lol

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/21/2021 3:22 PM

MotofactioN wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

When I read it originally I had some pretty good stuff to say, but then I saw he was 15 and couldn’t do it anymore lol

lol Same here.

|

1/21/2021 3:24 PM

Banshees are so much fun. Now while you are used to having all that power it’s still best to start out on two wheels with a 125. It will teach you everything you need to know. How to carry momentum through corners. Proper use of the clutch. All without tiring you out so quickly you waste seat time resting from trying to wrestle that 250. After a few years honing in that 125 go pick you up something bigger.

|

1/21/2021 3:26 PM

Congratulations on wanting to lose the training wheels.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/21/2021 3:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2021 3:41 PM

My ecommendation, for what it's worth, get a small displacement bike, either 2 or 4 stroke and ride the hell out of it. Learn to balance and pivot the bike. While you are probably used to power from riding your quad, a bike handles much differently. It takes a little more finesse to ride a dirt bike. Notwithstanding if you are a good bicycle or mountain bike rider, go for a slightly larger bike. And ride the snot out of it. For what it's worth, eons ago I started on an XR 80 (all my buddies had 125s or 250s, smokies) Rode it for a few months and then got a 125. It was one of those decisions that I don't regret..it made me a better rider.

|

1/21/2021 4:35 PM

Dylan350 wrote:

rohr397 wrote:

Depends a bit on what type of riding you plan to do, but here's my advice based on my own experience.

I rode quads exclusively for over 10 years before hopping on a bike. I'd wanted to give it a shot, but could only afford one or the other until I'd gotten out of college. I purchased an RM125 because I'd always wanted one, and found a deal too good to pass up. The bike ended up needing a lot of work, and in the meantime I got hired to an "industry job" where I was invited to go riding my first week there. I quickly found just how poor my skills were with a twist throttle and things happened too fast on the KTM250SX-F I was given for me to stay out of the dirt.

After that, I waited to ride again until I'd completed my 125, and when it was said and done I actually was able to feel comfortable getting around a track. Within a year I adapted to using a twist throttle and could put in laps at the tracks in California without my life flashing before my eyes more than once or twice in a day.

All that to say, my vote would be a 125. You're going to have a hard time getting into big trouble because it doesn't have much power, and by the time it gets going you should be able to make corrections. It's forgiving, and a great platform to learn on. And, to go fast, you'll have to actually learn proper technique. A bigger bike may be easier to ride in some aspects - I certainly hated my life trying to ride single track in the mud here in the Northwest with my buddies - but it's better to tip over and get back up than it is to launch yourself into orbit if you make a mistake.

The only caveat is if you continue to ride sand. I wouldn't ever attempt to take my own 125 out in the Oregon dunes. You'll blow the bike up or bury yourself in no time. Riding a bike in the sand is hard, though, so I probably wouldn't try it out until you're very comfortable on the dirt first.

Other than that, just don't get discouraged by the challenge or the people that might give you a hard time. The skill will develop quicker than you'd think since you've got experience riding other machines, and it's great that you're starting out still fairly young.

You say, you went from a quad to a Suzuki? That's kind of telling. Are your parents ok with it?

|

1/21/2021 4:54 PM

I would look at a CRF150r, put a fly wheel weight in it and call it a day. I went from a KLX 110 to a 150r and became the rider I am today, draw backs are its just as expensive to rebuild as a 450 which is why they got fazed out in amatuer racing. But you can find some pretty clean ones out there for relatively cheap.

|

1/21/2021 9:59 PM

5'11" and 180#? A 125 will be a great bike, but if you're capable of being careful with the throttle, a 250 will work fine too. If you're going to hit the dunes, the 250 would be better, but I've certainly enjoyed 125's at the dunes too.

|

1/22/2021 6:01 AM

Put your foot down when you stop.

|

1/22/2021 6:06 AM

So how long ago did you realise you weren’t gay and decided to get a bike instead??

Jokes aside as someone else has said, get a 125 and get some lessons. 125 is the perfect learning machine and just one or two lessons will improve your rate of performance going forward long after the lessons.

|

1/22/2021 6:22 AM

easy YZ125
motors is like a trail bike down low but still rips on top

|

1/22/2021 6:32 AM

Post a video of you riding the Banshee off of a cliff so we know you are serious about getting rid of the Jake wheeler

|

1/22/2021 7:15 AM

I raced quads for 15 years before getting back on a 2 wheeler this summer. A lot of it is just adapting to being up a lot higher for some reason. My YFZ is so low to the ground you feel like you're way up in the air when you get on a bike. I picked up a cheap KTM 125 and am spending the winter fixing it up. Twist throttle just takes a little time to figure out with muscle memory, you'll have arm pump like crazy the first little while.

On the track I laugh a lot on the bike because I'm so slow compared to the quad, but having racing experience helps me pick better lines than the guys who are the same speed as me.

Don't throw that Banshee away man, they're getting really rare and they're so much fun. Especially if you start exploring the massive aftermarket thats out there for them.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

1/22/2021 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2021 7:24 AM

If your riding dunes get the 250. 125s suck at the dunes.
Practice standing up as much as possible and get a good set of soft terrain tires. Makes a huge difference in how a bike handles in the sand.

|

1/22/2021 9:25 AM

Gonna be a monumental transition from the walking ring to the big boy toy...

Enjoy your new ride.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

1/22/2021 9:41 AM

Always start smaller and on less intimidating equipment, learn and perfect technique before developing bad hard to break habits.

I know it’s a MX site, most guys talk shit about quads for that reason but some guys won’t let it go, I don’t get it? I’ve owned quads, bikes, PWC, sleds and just love hanging it out on something with a motor, just enjoy the adrenaline no matter what form it comes in...

|

1/22/2021 10:28 AM

No room for the cooler on the back of a YZ 125 .. you sure you want to make the switch?

|

1/22/2021 2:18 PM

Learn to turn the throttle like a doorknob. It will dramatically help the rest of your body positioning.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/22/2021 4:28 PM

Dylan350 wrote:

rohr397 wrote:

RonSkj wrote:

You say, you went from a quad to a Suzuki? That's kind of telling. Are your parents ok with it?

Photo
Yeah, I think they'll be alright.

It was a solid attempt at dunking on me, though. Almost had it!
|

1/22/2021 4:32 PM

Lean the other way when turning

|

Make sure you downvote!

1/22/2021 4:49 PM

Get a YZ 250 2 stroke . You mentioned dunes and, as Jwack said a 125 will suck in the sand. 125 and a 250 are basically the same size. It just comes down to respecting the throttle and being honest with your abilities. I only recommend a YZ because parts are readily available and, they’re pretty much the same from 06-21. Have fun and post pics of the new scooter.

|

1/22/2021 5:19 PM

Ive stared look for one around 4K I’ll get the bike I can find a deal on thanks for the info guys I’m pretty excited hopefully I’ll have one by riding season

|