Put a little spicy here... MXGeoff on Matthes

ajv#26
"Gotta love Steve Matthes, and his consistency. Steve is in my opinion the best motocross/supercross media guy in America at the moment. He isn’t Eric Johnson in his writing skills, but he’s good at what he does. He is also a good guy.

Steve doesn’t like Europe, that’s clear. For a few days, maybe a week it’s ok for Steve to visit the most cultural place on earth. That’s ok, not everyone likes the same stuff. Nearly every podcast he does, he runs Europe down, be it talking with Chad Reed (who told him Europe is actually cool) or Jake Weimer (who told Steve the SMX race does matter).

However, when he calls the Supermotocross Riders Cup a “shit race”, then you gotta worry for Steves mind-set. With names like Ryan Dungey, Tim Gajser, Jeffrey Herlings, Marvin Musquin, Romain Febvre, Jason Anderson, Zach Osborne, Gautier Paulin, Jeremy Seewer, Max Nagl, and many, many more, in a stadium that holds around 70,000 people, it isn’t a shit race, it’s a massive race. A new concept, with the manufactures really excited about it. What can be shit about this? Steve even said this event should go into the toilet when comparing it to other major off-season races? Come on Steve, we know you love everything AMA, but this SMX Cup is BIG!!

Steve has an agenda, just like I do. He wants everyone to understand he thinks the AMA series are the best and biggest in the world. Hey, my agenda is I want the world to see the FIM series and the events Youthstream run are the best in the world. No harm in his agenda and no harm in mine. As a media guy, you should support the series that makes you money, and you should hope it grows, so you can also improve your own business. There is no problem with an agenda.

I love Steve Matthes work, he does a good job for promoting the sport in America. And he should, there is a lot to love about American supercross and motocross, but Steve, how about being a little positive about the biggest motocross series in the world (MXGP) and some of these really special events Youthstream are promoting. It won’t kill you right?

728x90
I am off to America today, flying to Charlotte for the USGP, then onto Las Vegas for some down time, before heading to Glen Helen for the second of two USGPs, and finally back to Vegas. I can’t wait. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember, probably visited more races than most in the last 40 years and I still get a kick out of it. America is a brilliant place with really cool stuff. Do I prefer Europe? Yes, 100%. Despite my lack of education (as clearly seen in my spelling and grammar), I love travel, meeting new people and new places.

I am excited for the USGP, mainly because of the fields involved, but also because of the history of this event. My first ever GP was back in 1984 at the old Carlsbad circuit, and from that moment on I was hooked on GP racing. Broc Glover, Ricky Johnson, David Bailey, and so many other top America riders were there that day and I will never forget the buzz. History tells us the USGP matters, right Matthes?

The two USGP races in Charlotte and Glen Helen are going to be huge, really special events, with again a bunch of AMA and FIM guys going head to head. Herlings vs Webb, Gajser vs Tomac. How can you NOT get excited about that? A specially built circuit, that should be rather equal for all riders concerned, not to mention a 10,000 seat grandstand where you don’t miss a single piece of the action.

Instead Steve will head to events like Lille Supercross, with three or four elite riders on the start list, he might make it to Finland, or Bulgaria for some small International supercross event. Enjoy those Steve, but be sure to check out the difference in starting lineup for the SMX, and the two USGPs, then take a look at the lineup for those races you might attend. No wonder he doesn’t like Europe……

Anyway, see you at the des Nations Steve, and as always I will give you a hand, and be nice, because at the end of the day, this is just a small sport in a big world. Maybe we need to be a little less serious about it, and just enjoy the racing. All the racing!!!"
|
ATKpilot99
8/31/2016 3:15am
Geoff is annoying but harmless . I don't see anything all that inflammatory in that piece.
RG1
8/31/2016 3:24am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Geoff is annoying but harmless . I don't see anything all that inflammatory in that piece.
Agreed. He can be very annoying. But Matthes can be annoying too at times
Whitey
8/31/2016 3:29am
Geoff Meyer has no credibility whatsoever.

He is so far removed from reality and so far up Guiseepes stink hole that whatever verbage he delivers is clouded by the faecal matter stuck to his tonsils.
tobz
8/31/2016 3:51am
Didn't read that whole rant but I was disappointed in matthes complete ignorance to Europe (the countries themselves, sans racing).

But no biggy, his loss that he can't enjoy that part of the world

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/31/2016 3:55am
Did Matthes say all of that about European racing? "IF" he did, he is being an AMA stooge!
Motofinne
8/31/2016 3:57am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 6:25am
Well i'll have to agree with Geoff(crazy, i know) on some points although he is an absolute moron.

The constant sarcastic jabs against Europe, the GPs and especially the USGPs and the SMX cup(he actually slammed the race multiple times a few weeks ago on a Pulpmx show without even knowing what the race was) makes Matthes sound just like the ultimate vitard on a big platform.

And for the love of our sport. He really needs to learn how to pronounce Gajsers and Febvres names. Calling Gajser "Geiser" for multiple years....

Other than that, he is the best mx journalist at the moment in my opinion. But no one is perfect.
Bearuno
8/31/2016 4:05am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
Yes, it goes both ways - as MX Geoff put above, they both have their agendas.

If you are able to think for yourself, it's always wise take both's writings and words with a grain of salt, seek out other 'reportage', and educate yourself. There are a Lot of MX racing sources of information and reportage other than those two.

Too many 'fans', seek out / rely only on a limited selection of information.

The very big difference is that Geoff has been doing 'Journalism', for pretty much the entirety of his working life. Whether or not he has any Journalism Qualifications - I know not. He's been doing it for decades (and learned a lot from his father), and has reported on the sport all around the World. Unfortunately, at times, he's allowed himself to get drawn down to the (low) level of 'fan bois' too much, especially in arguing with the same on the internet.

He's lost a fair amount of 'journalistic integrity', in many's eyes, through his employment / involvement / sucking up to Loungo / Youthstream. It's the biggest 'blot' on his reputation. And, for many of us, it's a Hell of a Blot.

Steve is a Manitoba Champion, and Race Mechanic, that got into his writings / podcasts. He does it pretty bloody well. But he's not a Journalist.

I'm often stunned at Steve's lack of knowledge of the GPs / Racing anywhere other than North America. He really does need to look more outwardly. But, he's , generally, playing to an American crowd, so I understand he's tilted towards where his bread is being buttered. Hell, we all will do just that, especially when your living depends on it.

Both do a good job - both have their faults and fuck ups. Steve, does his broadcasting / podcasting pretty well - MX Geoff, is almost cringe worthy when you hear his interviewing on soundcloud etc. But, it's not easy to do - for either of them, and others that do MX reportage.

Both could be far better, with showing's of more independence from their respective 'Powers That Be'.

Steve is starting to get a hell of a lot of extra Pod Casting competition - it seems quite an onslaught of podcasts are lining up against him. But, that's competition for you - I hope he survives it. I've listened to his podcasts for years now, and the good, far outweighs the bad of it. I'd hate to see Pooky and the Pups go without........................
DeStouwer
8/31/2016 4:11am
70,000 people in the Veltins-Arena? Maybe if you count the feet... About 50,000 will do, and that's when Schalke 04 plays at home. So expect maybe 8-10,000 for the SMX.
kongols
8/31/2016 4:16am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 4:16am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Did Matthes say all of that about European racing? "IF" he did, he is being an AMA stooge!
I have no idea, but I would say it`s about USA riders and GP or races in Europe and how they fit in to their schedule. Geoff just twisting facts and making it as an attack on GP`s and Europe. Of course I could be wrong, but it`s been done before.
kongols
8/31/2016 4:19am
Geoff always emerges with this kind of stuff when MXDN is near. Every year, like clockwork.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/31/2016 4:47am
Geoff clearly states he has an agenda and i think we all know what that is. Steves agenda is more broad than just promoting AMA races, he wants a better sport which is why he is critical of things that happen here including too much focus on SX. Steve may not talk about every GP race but he has repeatedly given praise to GP riders skills and speed.

He's also a bit of a curmudgeon and some of what he says is just grouchy talk particularly in regards to offroad riding/racing and Europe in general. Those are just personal opinions and should be considered as such.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
8/31/2016 4:59am
"Hey, my agenda is I want the world to see the FIM series and the events Youthstream run are the best in the world."

Really??

Guess he didn't attend Leon, or Thailand, or Quatar. He must think a few hundred spectators is great. And I wonder if he thinks the empty starting gates are spares.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/31/2016 5:03am
Matthes is calling this SMX race a joke because of the timing, and such of the event. I think we can all agree that it's a neat idea, but it SUCK for our dudes in between SX and MX.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
8/31/2016 5:03am
Also in those shows where he is critical of the "off" season races, his concern was in regards of the team guys not getting a break, truck drivers, mechanics, and on down the line.. I thought Steve made it clear that between the teams, energy drinks, manufactures, etc.. its a dick measuring contest to have the best off season event.
Crush
8/31/2016 5:14am
Steve calls shit out. He's criticised the fuck out of EVERYTHING at one time or another including Europe races, AMA SX and the MX series effectively run by his employer.

That instantly gives him waaaaaaay more credit than MXGeoff, who really, is just a fucking YS publicist.
kkawboy14
8/31/2016 5:31am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 5:39am
Crush wrote:
Steve calls shit out. He's criticised the fuck out of EVERYTHING at one time or another including Europe races, AMA SX and the MX series effectively...
Steve calls shit out. He's criticised the fuck out of EVERYTHING at one time or another including Europe races, AMA SX and the MX series effectively run by his employer.

That instantly gives him waaaaaaay more credit than MXGeoff, who really, is just a fucking YS publicist.
I like Steves stuff but as far as biased journalism goes how often do you hear anyone speak out about the series they are photographing/journalisming?

Plus it is possible that Geoff really really likes what he sees without being a stooge for his industry.
RG1
8/31/2016 5:57am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
Bearuno wrote:
Yes, it goes both ways - as MX Geoff put above, they both have their agendas. If you are able to think for yourself, it's always...
Yes, it goes both ways - as MX Geoff put above, they both have their agendas.

If you are able to think for yourself, it's always wise take both's writings and words with a grain of salt, seek out other 'reportage', and educate yourself. There are a Lot of MX racing sources of information and reportage other than those two.

Too many 'fans', seek out / rely only on a limited selection of information.

The very big difference is that Geoff has been doing 'Journalism', for pretty much the entirety of his working life. Whether or not he has any Journalism Qualifications - I know not. He's been doing it for decades (and learned a lot from his father), and has reported on the sport all around the World. Unfortunately, at times, he's allowed himself to get drawn down to the (low) level of 'fan bois' too much, especially in arguing with the same on the internet.

He's lost a fair amount of 'journalistic integrity', in many's eyes, through his employment / involvement / sucking up to Loungo / Youthstream. It's the biggest 'blot' on his reputation. And, for many of us, it's a Hell of a Blot.

Steve is a Manitoba Champion, and Race Mechanic, that got into his writings / podcasts. He does it pretty bloody well. But he's not a Journalist.

I'm often stunned at Steve's lack of knowledge of the GPs / Racing anywhere other than North America. He really does need to look more outwardly. But, he's , generally, playing to an American crowd, so I understand he's tilted towards where his bread is being buttered. Hell, we all will do just that, especially when your living depends on it.

Both do a good job - both have their faults and fuck ups. Steve, does his broadcasting / podcasting pretty well - MX Geoff, is almost cringe worthy when you hear his interviewing on soundcloud etc. But, it's not easy to do - for either of them, and others that do MX reportage.

Both could be far better, with showing's of more independence from their respective 'Powers That Be'.

Steve is starting to get a hell of a lot of extra Pod Casting competition - it seems quite an onslaught of podcasts are lining up against him. But, that's competition for you - I hope he survives it. I've listened to his podcasts for years now, and the good, far outweighs the bad of it. I'd hate to see Pooky and the Pups go without........................
Totally agree. That's really the best way to look at it. I understand those who really don't like Geoff, some of his articles are ridiculous at times, but you have to understand that really he's just doing what he is paid to do even though it does make him look stupid, I guess that's kind of his job. I think he is off base when he says that Matthes has an agenda though. He does have a largely American fanbase, so maybe that does come into it a little bit, but on the whole I've always found Matthes to be very honest and open about what he thinks and he says what he needs to say. I sometimes find his opinions annoying, but at the end of the day, they're just his opinions and with the amount of content he produces, there is no way that you are always going to agree with him all the time.
RPM68
8/31/2016 6:04am
This could get good...I bet Steve and keefer are laughing their balls off at this
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
8/31/2016 6:16am
Yeah you like that.
hvaughn88
8/31/2016 6:27am
Crush wrote:
Steve calls shit out. He's criticised the fuck out of EVERYTHING at one time or another including Europe races, AMA SX and the MX series effectively...

kkawboy14 wrote:
I like Steves stuff but as far as biased journalism goes how often do you hear anyone speak out about the series they are photographing/journalisming? Plus...
I like Steves stuff but as far as biased journalism goes how often do you hear anyone speak out about the series they are photographing/journalisming?

Plus it is possible that Geoff really really likes what he sees without being a stooge for his industry.
I don't know man, I listen to everything matthes puts out (and all the other moto podcasts) and have so for years. I hear steve call out the US series pretty often. In fact, so much that sometimes I want to tell him "dude, remember you work for racerX" haha. He's definitely not afraid to be critical of both the nationals and supercross.
hvaughn88
8/31/2016 6:37am
Pirate421 wrote:
I just want to hear the motocross stuff
haha, nice! That's gotta be one of my favorite drops.
kkawboy14
8/31/2016 6:38am
Crush wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:
I like Steves stuff but as far as biased journalism goes how often do you hear anyone speak out about the series they are photographing/journalisming? Plus...

hvaughn88 wrote:
I don't know man, I listen to everything matthes puts out (and all the other moto podcasts) and have so for years. I hear steve call...
I don't know man, I listen to everything matthes puts out (and all the other moto podcasts) and have so for years. I hear steve call out the US series pretty often. In fact, so much that sometimes I want to tell him "dude, remember you work for racerX" haha. He's definitely not afraid to be critical of both the nationals and supercross.
Yeah I like Steves stuff for that reason!

I was really just talking about everybody else. A lot of love and fluff goes around both sides
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
8/31/2016 6:38am
Crush wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I don't know man, I listen to everything matthes puts out (and all the other moto podcasts) and have so for years. I hear steve call...
OOOOH yea.

Ask Steve how he feels about how penalties and decisions are made within the AMA? Ask him about how well the current format is working out?

Look, if Steve was saying we needed to cut out all of these mandatory off-season races because the riders and teams are stretched too thin, but at the same time advocating for more SX races, you would know he just a pawn. But he has repeatedly said that the SX series is too long as well. On the flip side, there are many changes Youthstream has made that resulted in worse racing, but he somehow always spins it as a positive for the series.

Bottom line, yes this SMX race is a joke! Sure, many elite riders will be there, but that doesn't really matter. If the riders don't want to be there, if the race doesn't mean anything to them, then it's as significant as bench racing about what would happen. The only real winners are the promoters and sponsors. The teams and riders lose out on necessary recovery and relevant testing time.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/31/2016 7:02am
I didn't read the whole thing but I would comment that no one gives a shit if mxgeoff likes Steve or his agenda, probably not even Steve.
8/31/2016 7:04am
Steve's rants about the offseason races are being taken out of context. SMX is a gimmick to make more money and is a joke because you will have a bunch of riders who don't want to be there. He has clearly stated this point of view. Who wants to watch a race with a bunch of guys putting a half assed effort forward so they can try to avoid injuries that could stop them from racing AMA SX where they make their real money.

As for the USGPs. What is the point of sending our boys. They aren't running for a championship so its a single race to "prove" themselves against the guys on the GP circuit. But isn't that was MXDN is for? It is causing unnecessary risks and a TON of extra work for the American racing teams for nothing.

The only people that benefit are the corporations with the their names emblazoned on the side of the bikes of the riders.
Sodipop
8/31/2016 7:12am
Geoff is a total idiot but I've never liked the conflict of interest that is mx sports and racer x

Post a reply to: Put a little spicy here... MXGeoff on Matthes

The Latest