Purse money = Laughable

viking24
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2014 5:28pm
450 class: $12,000 to win, 250 class: $2500 to win. I was at the NJ/NYC race on Saturday and judging by the crowd size and the monster circus...these boys are not paid fairly. Making it into the 450 night program wouldn't have covered the room, fuel, parking & food spent to race. Forget about qualifying for the 250 class. Comparing the payout to the injury report, why would you do this?

2014 Event Purse
|
4/28/2014 12:01pm
Give it up. Nobody cares. Riders won't stand up for themselves, so they won't get paid.

And how dare you suggest these guys don't make enough money? You're about to get burned by the vitards.

They do it because they have a dream. Then when they're 30 and dont have any skills to relate to in the real world they probably scratch their head and think....man...this sucks.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 12:04pm
Love of the sport? Hoping to make it big?

The purse has been debated here many times without resolution. There are probably no good answers, other than to raise the popularity/visibility of Supercross to the level of some of the other major league sports. I think that was part of the reason behind the move to NY/NJ. They're looking to improve visibility with movers and shakers in the NY area.
huck
4/28/2014 12:06pm
GuyB wrote:
Love of the sport? Hoping to make it big? The purse has been debated here many times without resolution. There are probably no good answers, other...

The purse has been debated here many times without resolution. There are probably no good answers, other than to raise the popularity/visibility of Supercross to the level of some of the other major league sports. I think that was part of the reason behind the move to NY/NJ. They're looking to improve visibility with movers and shakers in the NY area.
I thought it was so DC and his pals could pad their already thick wallets! F-ing promoters!!

[/sarcasm]
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 12:06pm
Give it up. Nobody cares. Riders won't stand up for themselves, so they won't get paid. And how dare you suggest these guys don't make enough...
Give it up. Nobody cares. Riders won't stand up for themselves, so they won't get paid.

And how dare you suggest these guys don't make enough money? You're about to get burned by the vitards.

They do it because they have a dream. Then when they're 30 and dont have any skills to relate to in the real world they probably scratch their head and think....man...this sucks.
Here's a suggestion. Don't be a Vitard.

I'm lucky in that I get a peek behind the curtain. You might be surprised by the person posting (no, it's not a rider; and no, I'm not going to drop names).

The Shop

JM485
4/28/2014 12:17pm
It really is laughable, and pretty wrong. Unfortunately, there isn't really anything we can do, the riders have to make this change happen, not us.
4/28/2014 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 12:23pm
How many of us know people behind the curtain? Is the general consensus the riders aren't satisfied with the payouts?

Readin through the latest edition of transworld: "Racer Confidential: What's really going on inside those helmets."

pg. 85: "What do you think about the purse money"

It's a joke: 90%
They could pay more: 10%

That's 100% of the interviewed riders not satisfied with the payout....who knows what the random sample was, or who they interviewed, but that's a good thing we don't know.

Sit on the gate for a few rounds and when ticket sales plummet you either killed sx or they agree to pay you more. What else do you as a rider have to lose? You're not putting anything into retirement from racing are you?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 12:24pm
How many of us know people behind the curtain? Is the general consensus the riders aren't satisfied with the payouts? Readin through the latest edition of...
How many of us know people behind the curtain? Is the general consensus the riders aren't satisfied with the payouts?

Readin through the latest edition of transworld: "Racer Confidential: What's really going on inside those helmets."

That's 100% of the interviewed riders not satisfied with the payout....who knows what the random sample was, or who they interviewed, but that's a good thing we don't know.

Sit on the gate for a few rounds and when ticket sales plummet you either killed sx or they agree to pay you more. What else do you as a rider have to lose? You're not putting anything into retirement from racing are you?
I'm just suggesting that it's a reasonable question, and worth exploring. Bring ideas and suggestions, not just a, "Give it up. Nobody cares. Riders won't stand up for themselves, so they won't get paid."
4/28/2014 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 12:27pm
I was taking a stab at all the vitalmx posters that will come on here and try to eat Viking for making that statement. Because throughout the last few months that's all I get to read when this topic comes up.....vitards eating logical posts regarding rider payouts. Wasn't taking a stab at viking, and I was probably being too sarcastic. Apologies.
4/28/2014 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 12:31pm
Suggestion: These guys need a riders union. They need to organize it and make 'realistic' demands. Northwestern football players did it to the NCAA, our riders can do it to FELD/AMA.....
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/28/2014 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 12:36pm
GuyB wrote:
Here's a suggestion. Don't be a Vitard. I'm lucky in that I get a peek behind the curtain. You might be surprised by the person posting...

I'm lucky in that I get a peek behind the curtain. You might be surprised by the person posting (no, it's not a rider; and no, I'm not going to drop names).
Give it up!!

(Meaning the poster's name)
4/28/2014 12:51pm
Yea its a dream for everyone to be a pro mxer. Until you realize that a guy from 10 to 20th makes peanuts and your better off with your home depot job
mxb2
4/28/2014 12:51pm
Its cool to pursue a dream/goal, but they all know what they signed up for.
IWreckALot
4/28/2014 1:45pm
Suggestion: These guys need a riders union. They need to organize it and make 'realistic' demands. Northwestern football players did it to the NCAA, our riders...
Suggestion: These guys need a riders union. They need to organize it and make 'realistic' demands. Northwestern football players did it to the NCAA, our riders can do it to FELD/AMA.....
Is the supercross segment of FELD a public company or private? I'd be curious to see what their profit margin is. Could be huge or could be small. We all would like to see the riders get paid more but it seems like there is a LOT of overhead unaccounted for when we start suggesting that FELD pay the riders more. My suggestion to get riders paid more is to get more non industry sponsors involved. Target, Discount Tires, etc is a good start. I personally think that colleges should be a good target for our sport. It's the right demographic and more than just sponsorship dollars could be negotiated. How badass would a Crimson Tide Honda or a University of Texas KTM look.
Lucifa.
4/28/2014 2:07pm
viking24 wrote:
450 class: $12,000 to win, 250 class: $2500 to win. I was at the NJ/NYC race on Saturday and judging by the crowd size and the...
450 class: $12,000 to win, 250 class: $2500 to win. I was at the NJ/NYC race on Saturday and judging by the crowd size and the monster circus...these boys are not paid fairly. Making it into the 450 night program wouldn't have covered the room, fuel, parking & food spent to race. Forget about qualifying for the 250 class. Comparing the payout to the injury report, why would you do this?

2014 Event Purse
Why would they do this?

Because mommy and daddy thought little Johny would be another Jeremy McGrath.

Now he's 30 years old and because he's not making the main event desides to give it up and go flip burgers.

Thanks mom and dad.
4/28/2014 2:12pm
You need a big name if you want an association. MC, RC(not possible, team), JS7 (not yet possible), CR22 (not yet possible), or RV1 (not yet possible). MC, a "charity" "public relation" job is for you ! Smile
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 2:40pm
How many of us know people behind the curtain? Is the general consensus the riders aren't satisfied with the payouts? Readin through the latest edition of...

Are you happy with your paycheck ? do you think you should be making more ? I don't know anyone who doesn't want more than they are getting now in any job. I just don't see any pro riders lining up voicing their opinion so YOU get paid better.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 2:44pm
A lot of the same argument regarding risk/cost could be made for many motorsports.

Priced a sprint car engine and chassis lately? Ever seen one fly? Seen what's left after a flip?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 3:36pm
GuyB wrote:
Love of the sport? Hoping to make it big? The purse has been debated here many times without resolution. There are probably no good answers, other...

Yes but you get all the bleeding hearts crying how riders don't get paid when none of these jokers know how much they actually make. Nic Wey did a interview in a mag 8-10 years ago and he was pulling down over a million a year and he has never even won a Supercross or National. I think Wey deserves every penny he can get. Racing is not a cheap sport and no one ever started racing to make money but some can get rich, some can get wealthy, some can be comfortable some might just get by and some will lose their ass. I just dont understand why people think they need to worry about how much money someone else makes.
4/28/2014 3:37pm

lostboy819 wrote:
Are you happy with your paycheck ? do you think you should be making more ? I don't know anyone who doesn't want more than they...
Are you happy with your paycheck ? do you think you should be making more ? I don't know anyone who doesn't want more than they are getting now in any job. I just don't see any pro riders lining up voicing their opinion so YOU get paid better.
Not the same thing. Not the same thing. These guys are at the top of their sport and they're getting paid as if they're entry level McDonald's employees.

I do feel I should make more in my job. However my job pays for health insurance (way less risk for me to break my neck taking care of oatients. ) and my job allows me to maintain a home and pay my bills. I would not do my job for what 20th place in 450 class gets after a season is all said and done.
Ing
4/28/2014 3:43pm
GuyB wrote:
Here's a suggestion. Don't be a Vitard. I'm lucky in that I get a peek behind the curtain. You might be surprised by the person posting...

Oh good. Another I know something you don't post.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 3:45pm
Not the same thing. Not the same thing. These guys are at the top of their sport and they're getting paid as if they're entry level...
Not the same thing. Not the same thing. These guys are at the top of their sport and they're getting paid as if they're entry level McDonald's employees.

I do feel I should make more in my job. However my job pays for health insurance (way less risk for me to break my neck taking care of oatients. ) and my job allows me to maintain a home and pay my bills. I would not do my job for what 20th place in 450 class gets after a season is all said and done.
Yes you know the specifics about what your job pays but you don't know the specifics of what all these guys make but you want to fight their fight. You have a choice just like everybody else and just because someone has excelled at SX/MX doesn't mean they are guaranteed a nice income. Take a walk around the pits and you don't see much poverty,some times its takes money to make money and some times it just takes your money but the bottom line is if you can afford to race and maybe get paid then go for it if you can get paid then its time to get a job that you can get paid.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 3:48pm
Not the same thing. Not the same thing. These guys are at the top of their sport and they're getting paid as if they're entry level...

If your job drops your health care how may riders do you think will step up to help you out or even care ? none , so why do you give a shit what any rider makes ? are they going to share their good fortune with you................hell no.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 3:57pm
Give it up. Nobody cares. Riders won't stand up for themselves, so they won't get paid. And how dare you suggest these guys don't make enough...

I do agree with you that they will never stand together for anything Vegas proved that years ago. There will always be riders who will go out to try to steal some glory when the other riders boycott a race, Emig is a perfect example why a union will never work.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 3:57pm
Ing wrote:
It was intended less as a I Know Something You Don't post as a suggestion that sometimes people who don't post that often might be worth listening to.

I can think of a handful of industry types who have popped in here in the past and either get the "STFU Noob" treatment, or people don't believe what they have to say, and they never come back.

With that said, there are clearly some noobs who could benefit from that treatment. The point being, this ain't one of 'em.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2014 4:09pm
Ing wrote:
GuyB wrote:
It was intended less as a I Know Something You Don't post as a suggestion that sometimes people who don't post that often might be worth...
It was intended less as a I Know Something You Don't post as a suggestion that sometimes people who don't post that often might be worth listening to.

I can think of a handful of industry types who have popped in here in the past and either get the "STFU Noob" treatment, or people don't believe what they have to say, and they never come back.

With that said, there are clearly some noobs who could benefit from that treatment. The point being, this ain't one of 'em.
So its the industry types who are saying the riders need more money ? Well its the industry types that can do something about it then, right ?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2014 4:11pm
You're mixing two topics...sort of.
4/28/2014 4:45pm
GuyB wrote:

Bingo. Money comes from broad based appeal, which generates TV revenue.... You can't get blood from a stone. Ticket sales are small potatoes. Until networks can make money off of add time during a broadcast, SX will be scrounging from crumbs from the TV sports viewership.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/28/2014 5:19pm
GuyB wrote:
You're mixing two topics...sort of.
I am all for "what the market will bear" as far as pay. MX just like anything, the market will correct itself like it did a few years ago when several teams folded and there were a lot fewer paid team rides. But if the industry thinks more money to the riders is a good thing then they are the ones to do it and can make it happen. I doubt a riders union will ever happen but I also said Dungey would never win a race on a KTM much less a championship so consider the track record on my opinions.Blush
yak651
Fantasy
214th
4/28/2014 5:21pm
So "regular" vital member says riders aren't making enough and the regular insiders like Engine Ice say none of our business, what is fair, etc. An "insider" vital member says the same thing and now it is ok to discuss? Good thing I guess is people higher up see it as a problem.

Post a reply to: Purse money = Laughable

The Latest