Pulpmx empire

BUTWHY?
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 10:12am
If Steve was going to sell his business, including fantasy, which I think is a absolute gold mine for him, what would you guys value it at?
|
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/20/2020 6:30am

stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
1/20/2020 6:33am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 6:37am
I would have to say Steve himself brings a lot of the value. It would be tough to put a value on his brand without him. He is the brand. The fantasy may be a little different. The whole group of guys really put in a lot of work and make it what it is.

Pulp isn't pulp without Steve or a basset hound howling in the background of each show.
mark_swart
1/20/2020 7:06am
stremme12 wrote:
I would have to say Steve himself brings a lot of the value. It would be tough to put a value on his brand without him...
I would have to say Steve himself brings a lot of the value. It would be tough to put a value on his brand without him. He is the brand. The fantasy may be a little different. The whole group of guys really put in a lot of work and make it what it is.

Pulp isn't pulp without Steve or a basset hound howling in the background of each show.
You hit the nail on the head. Listen to any of the other podcasts for 10 minutes and it's pretty evident what Steve brings to the equation.
kb228
1/20/2020 7:08am
Pulp isnt pulp without steve.

The Shop

ElliotB16
1/20/2020 7:08am
Does darkside and the wrap up show come with it??
DPR250R
1/20/2020 7:09am
kb228 wrote:
Kind of like how Dean is Dean.
1/20/2020 12:16pm
If all the extras come with it, cool studio, marx, pookie, dogs, keefer, JT, etc (which they wouldnt) I would say 500k to 750k.

Fantasy its self, is becoming bigger than PulpMX show IMO. It makes significant money I would think. Best part is that the expense aka code for the website, R&D, etc is already done. Its just a run every year with minimal changes kind of thing. Servers, hosting etc but thats pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. Just championship players paid more than 200k. Most prizes are donated I would think making fantasy a real money maker.

If you are brand that is in the industry, I don't know where you can get better exposure for your dollar.

TreeFiddy
Fantasy
8th
1/20/2020 12:51pm
early wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/20/399172/s1200_images.jpg[/img]

I'm willing to take over
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
1/20/2020 12:53pm
If all the extras come with it, cool studio, marx, pookie, dogs, keefer, JT, etc (which they wouldnt) I would say 500k to 750k. Fantasy its...
If all the extras come with it, cool studio, marx, pookie, dogs, keefer, JT, etc (which they wouldnt) I would say 500k to 750k.

Fantasy its self, is becoming bigger than PulpMX show IMO. It makes significant money I would think. Best part is that the expense aka code for the website, R&D, etc is already done. Its just a run every year with minimal changes kind of thing. Servers, hosting etc but thats pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. Just championship players paid more than 200k. Most prizes are donated I would think making fantasy a real money maker.

If you are brand that is in the industry, I don't know where you can get better exposure for your dollar.

How many players in the championship league and how much is it?
1/20/2020 1:14pm
early wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/20/399172/s1200_images.jpg[/img]

$350k?
McG194
1/20/2020 1:17pm
kb228 wrote:
DPR250R wrote:
Steve is Steve
1/20/2020 1:20pm
If all the extras come with it, cool studio, marx, pookie, dogs, keefer, JT, etc (which they wouldnt) I would say 500k to 750k. Fantasy its...

SteezGeez wrote:
$35 to play SX and Outdoors. 6355 players that paid.

1/20/2020 1:28pm
Absurdly open ended question, given the lack of basically zero financials to go off of. What are his operating costs? What are his sponsor deals worth? What is his pay roll?

The answer?? Nunya. Nunya business. Tongue
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
1/20/2020 1:34pm

SteezGeez wrote:
$35 to play SX and Outdoors. 6355 players that paid. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/20/399295/s1200_84468CDC_5791_4DEC_9BF5_777ECC5D81ED.jpg[/img]
$35 to play SX and Outdoors. 6355 players that paid.

So about $220k in revenue. Then he puts out $10-15k to everyone that helps out with the review pod. I think Marx must own a substantial amount of this as well since I think he came up with the idea. At the end of the day Steve is probably seeing at least $50k for the year with the fantasy pod if Marx and Steve own it 50/50
jchek779
1/20/2020 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 4:17pm
I recognize that logic, reason, and data are hated and disregarded around this place, but I’ll take an opportunity to throw some salt on with the pepa’

Steve had done a great job growing a hobby, interest, passion into a tremendous operation and opportunity for his friends to earn an income. He produced free (mostly) content and a large part of why we all tune in each week is his personality, his schtick, and the inside jokes that we are all part of.

Therein lies the problem. The value of Pulp is centered around Steve, much like many self-employed and few man operations in this country. He is essentially a general contractor – with his name and reputation and listener base comes the value to his sponsors. With that information, the only value in the business is physical assets, some goodwill, and a multiple of Steve’s take.

So if we break it down a little more and value the business in terms of multiples, here’s my take on how/what I’d pay for it.

Assets – Fair Market Value, which would probably be $0.50 on the $1.00 he paid for things
Goodwill – probably not much considering that when Steve goes…it goes

Steve’s Salary + Recast of Financials, Depreciation, Owner Expenses, Etc – 1x because this is mainly a self-employed gig.

Sidebar: If Steve was able to manage (which he does to an extent) and train/replace himself, I’d add a 2x – 3x multiple. If PulpMX ran completely without Steve but he was still the owner, I’d value at a 4x – 5x of his take.

PulpFantasy – This system can run without Steve – I’d give it a 4x multiple of net proceeds with a requirement that Marx stays on for the next 3 years and they both sign a non-compete

So, long story short, the only person that could buy Pulp Nation and keep it alive is Jason Weigant. He’s too cheap, so Pulp dies when Steve quits.
1/20/2020 3:37pm
BUTWHY? wrote:
If Steve was going to sell his business, including fantasy, which I think is a absolute gold mine for him, what would you guys value it...
If Steve was going to sell his business, including fantasy, which I think is a absolute gold mine for him, what would you guys value it at?
At 35 bucks a pop x 60000+
vetmxr
1/20/2020 6:11pm
You gotta see the numbers to know what a business is worth.....
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
1/20/2020 6:26pm
Fuck Wil Hahn.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/20/2020 7:38pm
For arguments sake I think he could hire someone to take his place and as long as the the others were down to stay on it would all keep rolling.
But the person would have to know the sport well etc.
If it were Mathes, JT, or Keefer it would be full steam ahead.
And even others would be possible depending on their knowledge and personality.
NewOldSchool
1/21/2020 5:19am
jchek779 wrote:
I recognize that logic, reason, and data are hated and disregarded around this place, but I’ll take an opportunity to throw some salt on with the...
I recognize that logic, reason, and data are hated and disregarded around this place, but I’ll take an opportunity to throw some salt on with the pepa’

Steve had done a great job growing a hobby, interest, passion into a tremendous operation and opportunity for his friends to earn an income. He produced free (mostly) content and a large part of why we all tune in each week is his personality, his schtick, and the inside jokes that we are all part of.

Therein lies the problem. The value of Pulp is centered around Steve, much like many self-employed and few man operations in this country. He is essentially a general contractor – with his name and reputation and listener base comes the value to his sponsors. With that information, the only value in the business is physical assets, some goodwill, and a multiple of Steve’s take.

So if we break it down a little more and value the business in terms of multiples, here’s my take on how/what I’d pay for it.

Assets – Fair Market Value, which would probably be $0.50 on the $1.00 he paid for things

Steve’s Salary + Recast of Financials, Depreciation, Owner Expenses, Etc – 1x because this is mainly a self-employed gig.

Sidebar: If Steve was able to manage (which he does to an extent) and train/replace himself, I’d add a 2x – 3x multiple. If PulpMX ran completely without Steve but he was still the owner, I’d value at a 4x – 5x of his take.

PulpFantasy – This system can run without Steve – I’d give it a 4x multiple of net proceeds with a requirement that Marx stays on for the next 3 years and they both sign a non-compete

So, long story short, the only person that could buy Pulp Nation and keep it alive is Jason Weigant. He’s too cheap, so Pulp dies when Steve quits.
Nice analysis, how do you know so much about valuing a small business?
Mossy
1/21/2020 5:35am
kb228 wrote:
DPR250R wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Steve is Steve
Marx is Marx
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
1/21/2020 8:38am
jchek779 wrote:
I recognize that logic, reason, and data are hated and disregarded around this place, but I’ll take an opportunity to throw some salt on with the...

I positioning my company to be sold right now and no agent, lawyer, consultant, or accountant has put it as simple as you just put it.
1/21/2020 8:44am
jchek779 wrote:

I agree with you but I do think that if some crazy thing happened and Steve was gone, the show could be continued by Daniel Blair, Jason, etc.

I think of PulpMX like SportsCenter, several people can talk Moto and we will still listen.

They did a show without him and things went just fine, hell RC even called in.
TannerMxer
1/21/2020 1:36pm
BUTWHY? wrote:
If Steve was going to sell his business, including fantasy, which I think is a absolute gold mine for him, what would you guys value it...
My father-in-law, who owns a CPA business, says typically you should sell your business for 3-5 years worth of the annual income/revenue.

So, I dunno. lol
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/21/2020 1:59pm
What Pulp makes a year times 3.5 and that’s what it’s worth.
Agent717
1/21/2020 3:32pm
BUTWHY? wrote:
TannerMxer wrote:
My father-in-law, who owns a CPA business, says typically you should sell your business for 3-5 years worth of the annual income/revenue.

So, I dunno. lol
I'm in TX and looking for a CPA if he's looking for clients...
Panic_Rev
1/21/2020 3:40pm
jchek779 wrote:

motoxxx599 wrote:
I positioning my company to be sold right now and no agent, lawyer, consultant, or accountant has put it as simple as you just put it.
If there is no buyer for your business you could create a buyer. With the right business and employees you can setup an ESOP to sell the shares to the employees.

Post a reply to: Pulpmx empire

The Latest