PulpMX vs Whiskey Throttle

5/6/2020 11:50am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 11:51am
I do appreciate Ping keeping his political ideas off the show, I wish Steve would get better at it. Everything is so fucking political these days...
I do appreciate Ping keeping his political ideas off the show, I wish Steve would get better at it. Everything is so fucking political these days I just want to escape it.

Pulp is 99.999% moto though so this is just nitpicking
I agree about the politics BS - I hear enough of that crap in my daily life.

I do enjoy both Pulp and WT.
ktm300xcw2018
Fantasy
462nd
5/6/2020 2:10pm
Pulp does have a decent amount of commercials/ads but the majority of the products/companies they are advertising offer a discount code so that's always a bonus.
5/6/2020 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 2:28pm
It's pretty sad that in a "niche" sport, people are trashing content providers. It's right up there with celebrating the death spiral of Suzuki moto offerings.... Moto is a sinking ship already....why keep poking holes in the hull?
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
5/6/2020 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 4:45pm
It's pretty sad that in a "niche" sport, people are trashing content providers. It's right up there with celebrating the death spiral of Suzuki moto offerings...
It's pretty sad that in a "niche" sport, people are trashing content providers. It's right up there with celebrating the death spiral of Suzuki moto offerings.... Moto is a sinking ship already....why keep poking holes in the hull?
Didn't you just post on the first page of the thread that you could only take so much matthes?

Not sure what you said is exactly trashing but you come across as a tad hypocritical.

The Shop

NV825
Fantasy
2740th
5/6/2020 4:52pm
Love Pulp's variety and humor that they bring to every episode. So many legit LOL moments.

I've never watched/listened to an episode of WT, but that's because I don't have a ton of available time and it usually takes me about a week to listen to the latest Pulp episode and race recap pod with Steve, Weege, and JT.
5/6/2020 4:58pm
It's pretty sad that in a "niche" sport, people are trashing content providers. It's right up there with celebrating the death spiral of Suzuki moto offerings...
stremme12 wrote:
Didn't you just post on the first page of the thread that you could only take so much matthes? Not sure what you said is exactly...
Didn't you just post on the first page of the thread that you could only take so much matthes?

Not sure what you said is exactly trashing but you come across as a tad hypocritical.
How is that comment "trashing" him? I listen to the guy...but I can't for too long. Are we that sensitive now FFS?

CM_84
5/6/2020 6:26pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I like them both equally. They are #1a and #1b for the moto podcasts I listen to, along with the RacerX/Matthes race reviews and miscellaneous RacerX...
I like them both equally. They are #1a and #1b for the moto podcasts I listen to, along with the RacerX/Matthes race reviews and miscellaneous RacerX pods that Weigandt puts out. After that I listen to a reasonable amount of DMXS and Swapmoto but not everything.

I used to like Main Event Moto a lot but Blair has kind of driven that show downhill from its original days. The bits with Hobo Nick and Ginolfi were great in the early years, now neither of them ever come on and Daniel mostly just wants to talk about things he doesn't know anything about (infectious disease for example). Since the COVID-19 arrival I've just had to go clippy-clippy on MEM which is sad because I was there from episode 1.

Regarding Ping and Matthes, it is really too bad they had such a massive falling out. Some of the Pulp shows with Ping in studio were absolutely hilarious. I mean, "I'm pulling the car over to the side of the road because I'm laughing too hard" kind of funny. I'm sure 20 years from now these guys will cross paths and realize it was just ridiculous to kill a friendship over political views. Anyway, I love 'em both.

I agree, it seems a shame to see two formerly seemingly good friends fall out over politics.
its also a little weird to me that I am somehow sad to see it given i dont know either of them haha.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/6/2020 6:42pm
Can’t compare the two against each other. Two completely different things.

I really like pulp for what it is and I really like whiskey throttle for what it is.

In my opinion, they shouldn’t be grouped together and compared.
mxmaniac
5/6/2020 8:06pm
Both are awesome for the intent of the show. I like whiskey throttles format of breaking down a guests life and career, whilst enjoy listening to pulpmx shoot the shit on different topics and different people. I like Keefer and his input a lot
5/6/2020 8:10pm
I like Steves connections in the industry and his content is great but hes annoying as fuck, and 5 hour shows are too long when I already listen to a few other podcasts plus radio. I like GLs commentary but once peoples comments had me catching on to his interruption of guests I got bothered. Unless I see "cant miss" names or subjects pop up in a title I kinda tune out.
hamncheeze
5/7/2020 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 12:31pm
One other thing I'll add about Whiskey Throttle: the guest list is diverse and sometimes I am really surprised how much I enjoy an episode from a non-MX guest. For example, I really enjoyed the one with Johnny Campbell because I did not have much if any knowledge of desert racing. That one covered a lot of ground in the history of it, then there was the episode with Ricky Brabec which really expanded on the current day Dakar stuff. I've learned never to judge an episode by the guest's name or MX relevance. Honestly the Campbell episode was better than the Eli Tomac episode by quite a bit. Not a slam on Eli or WT, but Tomac is still writing his story, and he's also not a really open guy.

@Ping, if you looking for guys outside of MX I would be very interested to hear the career story of a guy like Ben Bostrom. I'm sure he's on your long list.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
5/7/2020 1:10pm
Two different shows both good in their own way.

I agree with hamncheeze, Ben Bostrom would be a great interview in so many ways.
Coach529
5/7/2020 2:31pm
Apples to Oranges.

The world is a better place with both of these podcasts to listen to.
Francis377
5/7/2020 2:50pm
Ping was my favorite guest and co-host on pulp. I always thought that he should be on a lot more because he was always good. But I also knew that he was too busy to come on more often. When he started his own show I was bitter about it (for no legitimate reason) , kinda felt like he left pulp behind for greener pastures without even looking back.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
5/7/2020 2:58pm
Pulp is king but whisky throttle has surpassed all the others rather quickly sans pulp. Pulp when DV and Ping where on it consistently was it’s peak or any moto shows peak with Tits giving you a laugh now and then too. When they both do guest interviews I feel they are too predictable they ask the same questions that the guests have been answering for decades sometimes. Especially with Emig and RJ for examples. On the other hand the David Bailey Whisky throttle show may be the single greatest MX discussion ever. Gone was Baileys bitterness he had for years and out came our sports high water mark for an interview.
sandtrack315
5/7/2020 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 3:18pm
I love them both. Some of the interviews Whiskey have done are really, really great (Twitch, Bailey, Hart), and I love the vibe on Pulp. I love Keefer, the jokes that run from week to week, and that Steve is not afraid to speak his mind.

I don't mind the amount of politics in either podcast. Ping and Langston keep their tin-foil stuff on twitter and off the pod, and Steve never really says anything you wouldn't expect from a centrist, mild-mannered Canadian.

To be honest, I like how GL interrupts and adds to the interview.

Keefer is the man. I listen to Keefer Testing and Coffee with Keefers. Love after-dark.

I will never listen to the wrap-up show. Sorry.

If you don't like the ads, I doubt you'd like the price without them.

If James Stewart were to do one podcast with Steve or Ping and GL, long-form, I would have a really, really hard time deciding what podcast I would want to hear him on. Honestly, he should go one Real Talk 447, though.
aeffertz
5/7/2020 5:11pm
Park Boys wrote:
Pulp is king but whisky throttle has surpassed all the others rather quickly sans pulp. Pulp when DV and Ping where on it consistently was it’s...
Pulp is king but whisky throttle has surpassed all the others rather quickly sans pulp. Pulp when DV and Ping where on it consistently was it’s peak or any moto shows peak with Tits giving you a laugh now and then too. When they both do guest interviews I feel they are too predictable they ask the same questions that the guests have been answering for decades sometimes. Especially with Emig and RJ for examples. On the other hand the David Bailey Whisky throttle show may be the single greatest MX discussion ever. Gone was Baileys bitterness he had for years and out came our sports high water mark for an interview.
The Pulp MX show does not do in-depth interviews, so like others have said... There's no point in comparing it to WT because they are two different styles. The Pulp MX show is just a casual, once a week MX based talk show. "The Steve Matthes Show" one-on-one interviews would be a fair compassion and they're both good.

Everything always "used to be better" because it was new and exciting. When you listen to a rider's life story for the 5th time, it's not going to be as great as the 1st time you heard it.
Crush
5/7/2020 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 7:40pm
I don't mind politics being discussed on either show – because regardless of the host POV, that's the point. You should be able to listen to a discussion without your head exploding and it causing you to turn the show off. And i'll extend that to Ping and Steve's argument. It's silly to lose a friend over something like that – like give yourself an uppercut.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hear Marc Maron saying perhaps Hillary was just an old lady who didn't know how to use emails, but ffs, you should be able to listen to discourse without losing your mind. That's a huge problem in today's society though, everyone is in their own eco-chamber.
Hudd_421
5/7/2020 7:33pm
I’ll say the race review pods with Steve and the Jason’s are gold. So many great jokes over the years. Short and sweet.
5/7/2020 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 8:40pm
Still waiting on part 2 of Mitch Payton and Troy Lee.
5/8/2020 2:13am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 2:21am
big.dos wrote:
Whiskey would be great if GL backed it down a bit
This

Love both shows but GL stops me getting excited too much when I see a new episode up.

They do get the best guests in my opinion,but I just know Ping will carry the show and ask great questions,BUT GL will interrupt the guest 99% of the time with his own stories or answers to the question.

Dont get me wrong I think GL is a hell of a rider and great character,but PLEASE let the GUEST answer the questions they are asked.
Ping comes up with good questions and gets the guests to open up,he is great at this,but GL spoils most of these questions,cutting off the guests with his own answers and stories has just got old for me now Im afraid

Sorry Ping,not a dig at you buddy,but Im finding them harder to listen to,which is a shame because as I said earlier you score the best guests.
I have 3 or 4 ready to listen to,but keep putting them off.The Henry one for me was too painful,we only got half of Doug's answers and alot of GL stories.

Overall I rate Ping higher than Steve as a host,hes very intelligent,not as self absorbed or opinionated,which makes for better shows.I think he has a long career in this type of work and could become much bigger

gregyou
5/8/2020 6:33am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 10:08am
Quad gate has saved us during this quarantine much like Tiger King did. God Bless PulpMX
What episode number was quad gate, I can’t find it
DiddyDaddy
Fantasy
1052nd
5/8/2020 6:36am
As long as Donny bells (or whatever his name is) shuts up. im fine with whisky.
I have no clue who he is and he adds nothing to the show or interviews. keep your mouth shut and let the former pros do the talking.
phatfi20
5/8/2020 6:36am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2020 6:40am
The hardest I laugh in any given month is always sitting alone in my car listening to pulp. Smile Pulp>WT but these two are the top two by far IMO.

Also agree with the point that WT will have to evolve to survive. The model of guest dependent long form interviews on the past isn't sustainable when the guests run out. I'm all for competition though.
jpmoney57
5/8/2020 6:39am
GL needs to stop asking the guest a question and then also answering it for them. Love GL so much on the outdoors commentary but for the love of baby Jesus let a guest finish a question before you dive in grant!
Ted722
5/8/2020 7:04am
DiddyDaddy wrote:
As long as Donny bells (or whatever his name is) shuts up. im fine with whisky. I have no clue who he is and he adds...
I have no clue who he is and he adds nothing to the show or interviews. keep your mouth shut and let the former pros do the talking.
You might not know who he is, but he's been involved in a number of projects over the years. Look it up, some cool stuff.

Read this religiously;

Ted722
5/8/2020 7:52am
DiddyDaddy wrote:
As long as Donny bells (or whatever his name is) shuts up. im fine with whisky. I have no clue who he is and he adds...
Ted722 wrote:
You might not know who he is, but he's been involved in a number of projects over the years. [url=https://fixatedesigns.com/blogs/ambassadors/donnie-bales]Look it up[/url], some cool stuff. Read...
You might not know who he is, but he's been involved in a number of projects over the years. Look it up, some cool stuff.

Read this religiously;

My copy’s a little older (2000):

chuckie108
5/8/2020 9:49am
Ted722 wrote:
My copy’s a little older (2000): [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/05/08/425933/s1200_DC4A563C_34EF_4A5F_A96B_3A80F48B2092.jpg[/img]
My copy’s a little older (2000):

Not to mention, Donnie is one of the nicer more genuine humans you'll ever come across.
Darksidemx3
Fantasy
781st
5/8/2020 6:02pm
Quad gate has saved us during this quarantine much like Tiger King did. God Bless PulpMX
gregyou wrote:
What episode number was quad gate, I can’t find it
show 421. Around the 2hr 20min mark I believe.

Post a reply to: PulpMX vs Whiskey Throttle

The Latest