PulpMX: The World Vet MX Championship Sh*t Show

aeffertz
Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 1:29am
https://youtu.be/YDu0HxEAfws

Start at 15:33

Man, this race sounds like an organizational disaster! It makes for hilarious content/discussion but I’m just curious how this even happens..

6 flaggers for the entire track, one of them caught sleeping, another on the wrong side of the fence and another plying on their phone all day.

No riders meeting

No referee

People racing without numbers

People skipping the starting gate entirely

Different race order and laps than advertised

No tech inspection or Rider ID’s / credentials checked

Clusterfuck staging and organization

The list goes on and on. Never change GH… “World Championship” Grinning
|
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/9/2021 8:45am
But it's a world championship, lol! Like said in another thread, no wonder Davey gave up on this clown show after the 2nd chance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...
dnf736
11/9/2021 8:55am
Listening to that made me want to race it. Reminds me of the old CMC-run amateur SX races at the Coliseum, Anaheim & San Diego. Anybody who raced any of those events in the 90's knows what I'm talking about.
Gary Duck
11/9/2021 9:27am
yak651 wrote:
But it's a world championship, lol! Like said in another thread, no wonder Davey gave up on this clown show after the 2nd chance. Fool me...
But it's a world championship, lol! Like said in another thread, no wonder Davey gave up on this clown show after the 2nd chance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...
**Cough, cough...

mark_swart
11/9/2021 9:43am
aeffertz wrote:
https://youtu.be/YDu0HxEAfws Start at 15:33 Man, this race sounds like an organizational disaster! It makes for hilarious content/discussion but I’m just curious how this even happens.. 6...

Man, this race sounds like an organizational disaster! It makes for hilarious content/discussion but I’m just curious how this even happens..

6 flaggers for the entire track, one of them caught sleeping, another on the wrong side of the fence and another plying on their phone all day.

No riders meeting

No referee

I mean it sounds like quite a few of my local races, but with 1,000 entries LOL!! Sign me up!

The Shop

hubbardmx50
11/9/2021 9:44am
Glen Helen is always a shit show, but on race day it is the best track. So bummed I missed it this year.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/9/2021 10:09am
aeffertz wrote:
https://youtu.be/YDu0HxEAfws Start at 15:33 Man, this race sounds like an organizational disaster! It makes for hilarious content/discussion but I’m just curious how this even happens.. 6...

No riders meeting

No referee

mark_swart wrote:
I mean it sounds like quite a few of my local races, but with 1,000 entries LOL!! Sign me up!
lol

Watching this, never seen the Newf before. What they say about judging a book by it's cover, would never guess he's as fast as he is by looking at him. Also, anyone else think he looks like Marx?
MO 23
11/9/2021 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2021 1:35pm
Sounds like a shit show but for the most part its not the end of the world

But putting the pro class out with the +50 125 class is inexcusable, honestly how f**king dumb do you have to be to think that's a good idea? and sure enough somebody got hurt.
Same thing goes for flaggers, you have to have the appropriate amount of flaggers. If a dodgy little track in the outskirts of Melbourne can manage it every weekend, Glen Helen at the "World" Vet Championships can
NoShowNash
11/9/2021 1:05pm
After going to the Texas Pro Challenge last weekend and then listening to the pulp show....the Glen Helen crew needs to give the guys at Swan MX a call for some organizational tips !!! What an amazing even that was !!
Moto Nomad
11/9/2021 2:48pm
Glen Helen has always had this Wild West reputation. It's unfortunate, because as one of the most prominent mx tracks in the nation, and the MXA connection etc., it could really be the gold standard for safety and organization. Instead, the opposite seems to be the case.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/9/2021 3:39pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
Glen Helen has always had this Wild West reputation. It's unfortunate, because as one of the most prominent mx tracks in the nation, and the MXA...
Glen Helen has always had this Wild West reputation. It's unfortunate, because as one of the most prominent mx tracks in the nation, and the MXA connection etc., it could really be the gold standard for safety and organization. Instead, the opposite seems to be the case.
It’s really odd, at least from an outsiders perspective. I mean do they think they are going to lose business if they separate practices and provide flaggers? Seems they have a good thing going with this vet nation, wouldn’t you take pride in that and try to provide the best experience possible? Or do they just think their track is so cool no one should criticize it or how they run it?
Brent
11/9/2021 4:14pm
It was not the best organization, and there were SO MANY RACERS.

3 gates per race. Not good.

There is obviously a huge appetite for vet racing around here, maybe it could be a week long thing like Lorettas?
MyBobbym
11/9/2021 4:27pm
Nobody at GH gives a shit apparently.
SrfNdirt
11/9/2021 4:36pm
Since when is 25+ considered "vet" No sarcasm here it's an honest question. Even if they bumped it to 30+ it would eliminate the number of classes.
Brent
11/9/2021 4:57pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
Since when is 25+ considered "vet" No sarcasm here it's an honest question. Even if they bumped it to 30+ it would eliminate the number of...
Since when is 25+ considered "vet" No sarcasm here it's an honest question. Even if they bumped it to 30+ it would eliminate the number of classes.
I agree, but what is a "Vet rider anyways? exactly how old is a Vet rider and who decides that?

one thing for sure, Bud Feldkamp wants those entry fee dollahs, so maybe next year anyone over 21 will be a vet too...

I love me some Glen Helen - I ride there more than anywhere else - but they could sure put some extra money in the place and have more staffing for huge events like this in the future.

How about start by scraping the square edge rocks that give trucks flat tires off the parking area? even Pala does that...
Bacon_n_Egg'r
Fantasy
1816th
11/9/2021 4:58pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
Since when is 25+ considered "vet" No sarcasm here it's an honest question. Even if they bumped it to 30+ it would eliminate the number of...
25+ is a vet category when you are trying to line your pockets with as much money as possible.

Just listening to the archive show and I have to say the discussion was downright hilarious. To me the biggest failure sounds like the flagging. I mean the other disorganization is not ideal, but for a big event with a LOT of riders the flagging definitely needs to be on point.
kage173
11/9/2021 5:12pm
Probably The only thing that saved that girl is that she didn't know how much danger she was in so didn't panic like she should have.
LungButter
11/9/2021 5:18pm
kage173 wrote:
Probably The only thing that saved that girl is that she didn't know how much danger she was in so didn't panic like she should have.
Link to video of this?
freeh
11/9/2021 6:26pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
25+ is a vet category when you are trying to line your pockets with as much money as possible. Just listening to the archive show and...
25+ is a vet category when you are trying to line your pockets with as much money as possible.

Just listening to the archive show and I have to say the discussion was downright hilarious. To me the biggest failure sounds like the flagging. I mean the other disorganization is not ideal, but for a big event with a LOT of riders the flagging definitely needs to be on point.
Red Bud Vet Fest has an 18+ class now. Just sayin'. . .
tobz
11/9/2021 6:49pm
I love how there was a guy lining up on the gate for 6 races in a row just so he could reserve that gate for his race. Brilliant
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
11/9/2021 7:00pm
I guess it is what you make of it. Everyone that I know that raced it had a blast. I’ve done that race 4 times and they were all great. Lots of people, yes, but that’s what makes it fun.
But don’t let me stop you guys that weren’t there from complaining….
SoCalMX70
11/9/2021 7:15pm
I know a good 10 or 12 people that raced it (and probably more I haven't talked to yet) and they all had a blast. Oh well! There can always be improvements made... Hopefully GH learned something and will put that knowledge into action.

I'm racing it next year for sure.
Mr. Info
11/9/2021 7:19pm
I never knew there were so many race promoters that have so much knowledge that don’t hold races. But not surprised.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
11/9/2021 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/10/2021 3:02am
SrfNdirt wrote:
Since like 1988 -89 from my memory. GFI, CMC, SRA, CRC…. They all had 25+ classes. And always good size gates.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/9/2021 7:53pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
25+ used to be called Jr Vet(25+) in the late 90’s and early 2000’s when my dad raced that class. Mid to late 2000’s also brought out the College Boy class of 17-24 year olds. I think that one is still around, but I’m not sure. My guess would be that promotors figured out that 25 seemed to be that special age of being done with school and now working full time now being a “Jr Vet”
Moto520
11/9/2021 8:08pm
Sounds fun. Next year they will make a few adjustments and it will be even more fun! Things used to be more like this race sounds back in the 80’s…..it was fun then too. We would race when it rained and things didn’t always go like the promotors planned. I have never ridden glen Helen but I will someday soon. Track looks killer
tmphotoart
Fantasy
1144th
11/9/2021 11:29pm
What a bunch of pussy's . . . it's a LOCAL Race . . . PulpMX should promote his own race!
The race next year should be 3 days to spread out the amount of riders and keep a consistent lap count for each class.

So what, there's water flowing on the track . . . It's MOTOCROSS!

tobz
11/10/2021 3:14am
SLAPAHO wrote:
I guess it is what you make of it. Everyone that I know that raced it had a blast. I’ve done that race 4 times and...
I guess it is what you make of it. Everyone that I know that raced it had a blast. I’ve done that race 4 times and they were all great. Lots of people, yes, but that’s what makes it fun.
But don’t let me stop you guys that weren’t there from complaining….
The guys that were complaining on the show were there. I’m just laughing along with them, while they were able to ride practice, after practice, after practice Grinning
MelonFan123
11/10/2021 7:44am
Mr. Info wrote:
I never knew there were so many race promoters that have so much knowledge that don’t hold races. But not surprised.
All the issues described in the podcast and from what I’ve heard from friends that attended, are problems that are strictly organizationally derived. Plain and simple. Not sure if the GH staff is responsible for World Vets, or if it’s the Dubya people, or a combination of both? Maybe you can shed some light on that.

This isn’t a new event. It’s been going on for years. Glen Helen bills itself as a world class facility, yet it constantly finds itself having issues like this.

I’m sure lots of people had a great time racing and that’s the point here. So it’s a success on that front.

But all these issues are avoidable - lack of a referee or rule book to enforce rules, no riders meeting, people being able to ride whatever practice they want, ambulance driving on the track during a race, gate dropping while the 30 sec card girl is on the track….they should all be addressed.
aeffertz
11/10/2021 8:28am
All the issues described in the podcast and from what I’ve heard from friends that attended, are problems that are strictly organizationally derived. Plain and simple...
All the issues described in the podcast and from what I’ve heard from friends that attended, are problems that are strictly organizationally derived. Plain and simple. Not sure if the GH staff is responsible for World Vets, or if it’s the Dubya people, or a combination of both? Maybe you can shed some light on that.

This isn’t a new event. It’s been going on for years. Glen Helen bills itself as a world class facility, yet it constantly finds itself having issues like this.

I’m sure lots of people had a great time racing and that’s the point here. So it’s a success on that front.

But all these issues are avoidable - lack of a referee or rule book to enforce rules, no riders meeting, people being able to ride whatever practice they want, ambulance driving on the track during a race, gate dropping while the 30 sec card girl is on the track….they should all be addressed.
At 2:44:15 in the same podcast posted up top, John Anderson from Dubya calls in and talks a little bit about it if you’re interested.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/10/2021 8:52am
Mr. Info wrote:
All the issues described in the podcast and from what I’ve heard from friends that attended, are problems that are strictly organizationally derived. Plain and simple...

2 stroke nationals weren’t a whole lot different with the practice issues. I raced it last year and went to the starter to ask him what practice was out on the track at that time so I knew how long I had until mine. I told him what practice I was and he told me to get out there and get some laps in during the current practice. I ended up being out there with the Pros/Intermediates. Thankfully they all had half a lap on me by the time I went out.

Post a reply to: PulpMX: The World Vet MX Championship Sh*t Show

The Latest