Pulp article: most powerful people in moto

hvaughn88
Really interesting article steve did on the most influential people in Moto:

Powerful people in Moto
|
Ted722
12/14/2016 8:48pm
Can't believe it, Matthes and Jody tied.
JB 19
12/14/2016 8:50pm
I would probably put the big bosses in Japan first though..... Since they basically dictate what gets raced in the states. The rules are built around what they want to sell. DC at 3 is probably pretty accurate as far as power and influence.
kkawboy14
12/14/2016 8:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 8:56pm
14) the AMA?

21) the FIM?

Weird placing on those 2

The Shop

TeamGreen
12/14/2016 9:06pm
I'm thinking there's a lot about that list that's "inverted". Literally, up-side-down.

The bosses at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and KTM (and therefore Husky) could change any and all of this sport and their influence is severely misunderstood & thusly mis-measured.

And the same goes for Hall thru Kelso...the Energy Drink folks could change any and all of it in a heart-beat.

Classic.

Up-Side-Down.
hillbilly
12/14/2016 9:08pm
I ain't seen chad or ken on a wheaties box.
TeamGreen
12/14/2016 9:08pm
Ohhhhh Matthes!

I hope it was a "nice" article...

I just Fwd'd it to a few of the named names.

Silly
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/14/2016 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 9:28pm
The sad thing is, they completely missed the boat on this article (not necessarily on purpose). Add reason #29 as to one of the factors that is responsible for the current decline of moto. The tail is wagging the dog as the most influential people should be the fans and participants. When the market (fans, participants, etc.) dictates what is wanted, and is getting it, then you will see a satisfied base that actually has growth potential. When people are told what they should like, and they don't, then they go away. For example, here are four strokes for you to like, here are 22 rounds of supercross for you to like, here is a new level of noise for you to like, here are the designated ways for you to be a successful amatuer, and on and on. Its a well known phenomenon that most dissatisfied peope/customers just go away with no explanation. In other words, when most people go to a resteraunt and don't like it, they don't seek out a manager to tell them why. They just don't come back, which is worse because problems can't be addressed and how to fix them.
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
12/14/2016 9:25pm
Everyone message Todd Jendro about bringing back 2 strokes.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
12/14/2016 9:29pm
Why do people keep referring to the group that bought Fox as 'venture capital'?

It's not. Stop calling it that.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/14/2016 9:31pm
kzizok wrote:
The sad thing is, they completely missed the boat on this article (not necessarily on purpose). Add reason #29 as to one of the factors that...
The sad thing is, they completely missed the boat on this article (not necessarily on purpose). Add reason #29 as to one of the factors that is responsible for the current decline of moto. The tail is wagging the dog as the most influential people should be the fans and participants. When the market (fans, participants, etc.) dictates what is wanted, and is getting it, then you will see a satisfied base that actually has growth potential. When people are told what they should like, and they don't, then they go away. For example, here are four strokes for you to like, here are 22 rounds of supercross for you to like, here is a new level of noise for you to like, here are the designated ways for you to be a successful amatuer, and on and on. Its a well known phenomenon that most dissatisfied peope/customers just go away with no explanation. In other words, when most people go to a resteraunt and don't like it, they don't seek out a manager to tell them why. They just don't come back, which is worse because problems can't be addressed and how to fix them.
Love you, too. Smile
TeamGreen
12/14/2016 9:38pm
kzizok wrote:
The sad thing is, they completely missed the boat on this article (not necessarily on purpose). Add reason #29 as to one of the factors that...
GuyB wrote:
Love you, too. Smile
Hey, man?
Nice shot!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/14/2016 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 9:59pm
GuyB wrote:
Love you, too. Smile
Ha! You know what I meanSmile

Obviously, there are individuals that are influential. My post wasn't to discount anyone of them, including your self, rather to say fans/participants should be first on the list, with the rest to follow. But really, successful businesses listen to those who butter their bread, and deliver what they want, and when they don"t, people look elsewhere.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/14/2016 10:16pm
kzizok wrote:
Ha! You know what I mean:) Obviously, there are individuals that are influential. My post wasn't to discount anyone of them, including your self, rather to...

Obviously, there are individuals that are influential. My post wasn't to discount anyone of them, including your self, rather to say fans/participants should be first on the list, with the rest to follow. But really, successful businesses listen to those who butter their bread, and deliver what they want, and when they don"t, people look elsewhere.
When you call out number 29 in particular, I'm guessing you're not aiming at Andew Short. Smile

I said hey man nice shot...
Good shot, man...
tobz
12/14/2016 10:18pm
It's a shame for our sport where it could be considered that an internet forum moderator is in a top list as most powerful. I can't think of another sport like it.
12/14/2016 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 10:21pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm thinking there's a lot about that list that's "inverted". Literally, up-side-down. The bosses at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and KTM (and therefore Husky) could change any...
I'm thinking there's a lot about that list that's "inverted". Literally, up-side-down.

The bosses at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and KTM (and therefore Husky) could change any and all of this sport and their influence is severely misunderstood & thusly mis-measured.

And the same goes for Hall thru Kelso...the Energy Drink folks could change any and all of it in a heart-beat.

Classic.

Up-Side-Down.
In reading the article top to bottom and not just skimming it, I believe that the intent was to identify those that actually exercise their influence and power, not necessarily just those that are capable of exerting power and influence. It seems like a given that product/sales related decisions greatly influence things and I'm not seeing where the Matthe-saurus suggested anything contradictory to this. For instance, in the first paragraph he stated "Guys at the top here can hire and fire people and make big, huge decisions which is power AND influence".

Additionally, he also provided us with the context/framework on which he based HIS (read: his personal opinion) of who the Top 30 players. Again, in the first paragraph he explained that "This list is for the sport of SX/MX racing and NOT the sales side of the industry".

Of course, I could have read these statements totally different than you, but I struggle to see how the list is "up-side-down", especially given that this would mean that the top 5 players that control "the riders, teams, money, series, media, etc, etc" (again, Matthes own words) would be:
1. Alpinestars' owner
2. Guy B
3. VP of TV for Feld
4. Donn from TransworldMX
5. Eric Peronnard
12/14/2016 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 10:35pm

I love Matthes and all the content he puts out, but expecting him to know the difference between venture capital and private equity would be the equivalent of a Vital poster solving Fermat's Last Theorem. Just ain't gonna happen.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/14/2016 10:37pm
kzizok wrote:
Ha! You know what I mean:) Obviously, there are individuals that are influential. My post wasn't to discount anyone of them, including your self, rather to...

GuyB wrote:
When you call out number 29 in particular, I'm guessing you're not aiming at Andew Short. Smile

I said hey man nice shot...
Good shot, man...
Well, theres that! No, just a random number arbitrarily picked out of the sky.
Aryen
12/15/2016 12:04am

I love Matthes and all the content he puts out, but expecting him to know the difference between venture capital and private equity would be the...
I love Matthes and all the content he puts out, but expecting him to know the difference between venture capital and private equity would be the equivalent of a Vital poster solving Fermat's Last Theorem. Just ain't gonna happen.
https://youtu.be/xG63O03lWZI

Easy, I posted a video on the tube.

Tongue
NATEP231
12/15/2016 12:29am
Yeah well dune goon sure jumped up a ton in power rankings in the last month Grinning
12/15/2016 2:47am
Seems reasonable. Not sure Kenny should have been on there but overall I liked it.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
12/15/2016 5:55am
No McGrath on the list so I refuse to believe any of it, hahaha.

Awesome article though!
rangot
12/15/2016 6:30am
Cool de see Eric Peronnard make the list. He's such a bright guy. And French.
TallCan 16
12/15/2016 6:41am
No John Ayres? He has had a stranglehold on merch sold at events forever.
hvaughn88
12/15/2016 6:42am
WoodsRacer wrote:
No McGrath on the list so I refuse to believe any of it, hahaha.

Awesome article though!
Hell yes. McGrath is the sole reason I was so obsessed with moto as a kid. You know what's crazy, MC seems like such a cool dude that it's almost like he was the most influential, without trying to even be influential. I don't think we will ever see another MC.
Jt$
12/15/2016 6:47am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Hell yes. McGrath is the sole reason I was so obsessed with moto as a kid. You know what's crazy, MC seems like such a cool...
Hell yes. McGrath is the sole reason I was so obsessed with moto as a kid. You know what's crazy, MC seems like such a cool dude that it's almost like he was the most influential, without trying to even be influential. I don't think we will ever see another MC.
MC isn't as involved as he once was. The article is based on today. Power and influence is a fluid entity.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
12/15/2016 7:11am

I love Matthes and all the content he puts out, but expecting him to know the difference between venture capital and private equity would be the...
Hahaha. You've got a point
IceMan446
12/15/2016 8:09am
TallCan 16 wrote:
No John Ayres? He has had a stranglehold on merch sold at events forever.
There is a simple reason for that.

His boss holds the power.

But the amount of shit that guy runs is ridiculous. And sad that its one of the sole reasons the teams cant sell their own stuff in the pits.

Post a reply to: Pulp article: most powerful people in moto

The Latest