Pulp: This might peel the paint on somebody's Orange Glow Helmet

6/9/2018 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 12:50pm
Rooster wrote:
The utter lack of safe practices in motocross is downright appalling. When I switched over to supermoto/road racing, the difference was incredible. When I first started...
The utter lack of safe practices in motocross is downright appalling.

When I switched over to supermoto/road racing, the difference was incredible. When I first started racing MX, no race couldn't leave the gate unless the ambulance was there. Now they don't even have an ambulance at the track for a motocross race. Road racing still has the same rules that MX used to have in that regard.

Road racing has a few things they do right that motocross used to do. Things like an actual tech inspection. Not sending some kid through the pits to put stickers on number plates and calling it tech inspection. Mandated back protection. Never allowing groups of dissimilar speed together on the track at the same time. Flagging crews (yes crews!) with headsets in every corner.

It's weird to me that with all the lawsuits that have shut down tracks, that safety in motocross has gone backwards over the years. Yes I know it's inherently unsafe, but that doesn't mean you can't have some basic protections in place. The people running these tracks need to start treating them more like the race tracks they are and less like a gravel pit.
You gonna pay for it?

I mean, that's what it all comes down to. I imagine most MX facilities would love to do all sorts of things that mainstream motorsports do. Just as soon as they start making "mainstream" motorsport money. Unless you assume other than I do, which is MX track operators are not killing it. From my understanding, it's damn hard just to keep a track running already, let alone turn a meaningful profit from it

I pay 150 dollars for a half day at High Plains Raceway to run my sports car around and they don't even have to do track maintenance/watering. Do you know anyone willing to pay $150 that to go ride their dirtbike for an afternoon? How about $100? $75? no? ...cause I don't either.

Want to actually race your car, that could be $250-1,000 for a local or regional sports car race.

money talks and bullshit walks. same as it's always been.
Rooster
6/9/2018 1:57pm
You gonna pay for it? I mean, that's what it all comes down to. I imagine most MX facilities would love to do all sorts of...
You gonna pay for it?

I mean, that's what it all comes down to. I imagine most MX facilities would love to do all sorts of things that mainstream motorsports do. Just as soon as they start making "mainstream" motorsport money. Unless you assume other than I do, which is MX track operators are not killing it. From my understanding, it's damn hard just to keep a track running already, let alone turn a meaningful profit from it

I pay 150 dollars for a half day at High Plains Raceway to run my sports car around and they don't even have to do track maintenance/watering. Do you know anyone willing to pay $150 that to go ride their dirtbike for an afternoon? How about $100? $75? no? ...cause I don't either.

Want to actually race your car, that could be $250-1,000 for a local or regional sports car race.

I did pay it and I was more than happy to. I received value for my money. I know precisely how expensive it gets. Both the cost to get on the track, and also the cost in lost time at work from an injury.

I value not having to share the track with unsafe riders with wildly varying skill levels. I value knowing there's an ambulance waiting track side if I wad it up bad. It lets me hang it out a little more.

We're all used to the old, if you have a $10 head then wear a $10 helmet. Well the same analogy could be used for the tracks we ride on. If you don't value safety in slightest, then go and ride a $10 track day.
socalxr
6/9/2018 2:06pm
You gonna pay for it? I mean, that's what it all comes down to. I imagine most MX facilities would love to do all sorts of...
You gonna pay for it?

Rooster wrote:
I did pay it and I was more than happy to. I received value for my money. I know precisely how expensive it gets. Both the...
I did pay it and I was more than happy to. I received value for my money. I know precisely how expensive it gets. Both the cost to get on the track, and also the cost in lost time at work from an injury.

I value not having to share the track with unsafe riders with wildly varying skill levels. I value knowing there's an ambulance waiting track side if I wad it up bad. It lets me hang it out a little more.

We're all used to the old, if you have a $10 head then wear a $10 helmet. Well the same analogy could be used for the tracks we ride on. If you don't value safety in slightest, then go and ride a $10 track day.
Rooster, Do you even know what happened? It had ZERO to do with track safety. If you're too scared to ride in fear of your own shadow, don't ride and hibernate in Canada.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/9/2018 3:21pm
KennyT wrote:
I am baffled that Glen Helen is still open for business in this world of lawsuits. The lack of concern for riders safety has been horrid...
I am baffled that Glen Helen is still open for business in this world of lawsuits. The lack of concern for riders safety has been horrid there since I can remember and it’s rather disturbing that nothing ever changes.
socalxr wrote:
What are you talking about? The incident was handled. Everything happened OFF the track. If you go off the track the rider needs to slow down...
What are you talking about? The incident was handled. Everything happened OFF the track. If you go off the track the rider needs to slow down, period. So you want to blame Glen Helen for that. The reason we have such few tracks out here or anywhere is because of people like you who want to blame everything on someone else and not accept the blame. All the flaggers in the world couldn't have stopped it. Unless you want flaggers off the track because Jason wanted to continue go race speed off the track. But let me guess, you're in favor of 90 foot triples, because they are so safe, right?
Glen helens track record for safety is shit. If you do not know that you are grossly uninformed. And that they continue to let amateurs out on the track with the best riders in the world shows their ignorance. Fucking hillbillies are going to do this sport in. And no I could not give a shit about 90’ triples. If I want that I would go watch Nitro Circus

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/9/2018 3:27pm
You gonna pay for it?

Rooster wrote:
I did pay it and I was more than happy to. I received value for my money. I know precisely how expensive it gets. Both the...

socalxr wrote:
Rooster, Do you even know what happened? It had ZERO to do with track safety. If you're too scared to ride in fear of your own...
Rooster, Do you even know what happened? It had ZERO to do with track safety. If you're too scared to ride in fear of your own shadow, don't ride and hibernate in Canada.
I'd argue against that, the versions of the story I heard (from people on location and witnessing the events) placed riders cutting the track due to an injured rider being assisted behind a blind obstacle, with Anderson and another rider colliding while circumventing this section. A track with a proper flagging crew could've controlled the movement around the rider better or based on the level of injuries from that rider, they would've likely red flagged the session.
piscokid
6/10/2018 6:26am
Nobody has pointed out that the person Anderson hit, by his own admission, changed direction on the track. He saw it was his friend down and made a move to see what was going on, hence the collision. If that rider would not changed direction, this discussion would not have happened. While riding, Anderson probably saw the guy he hit, ASSUMED the rider would continue in the same direction at the same speed, made a decision to pass and the rider changed course causing the accident. How would a flagger have prevented that? One could argue that they could have controlled the speed thru there, but again, it has been pointed out that the track had been changed to help the downed rider. Riders were aware. The track isn't to blame, Anderson isn't to blame, pros and joe's aren't to blame, its the guy that changed direction on the track when it wasn't expected.
kkawboy14
6/10/2018 6:34am
The only problem I see is a Pro not knowing when to slow down and be a little cautious.
ns503
6/10/2018 6:37am
piscokid wrote:
Nobody has pointed out that the person Anderson hit, by his own admission, changed direction on the track. He saw it was his friend down and...
Nobody has pointed out that the person Anderson hit, by his own admission, changed direction on the track. He saw it was his friend down and made a move to see what was going on, hence the collision. If that rider would not changed direction, this discussion would not have happened. While riding, Anderson probably saw the guy he hit, ASSUMED the rider would continue in the same direction at the same speed, made a decision to pass and the rider changed course causing the accident. How would a flagger have prevented that? One could argue that they could have controlled the speed thru there, but again, it has been pointed out that the track had been changed to help the downed rider. Riders were aware. The track isn't to blame, Anderson isn't to blame, pros and joe's aren't to blame, its the guy that changed direction on the track when it wasn't expected.
Quite sure he did not change direction on the track. Where did you get that?

While going thru the infield, maybe.
piscokid
6/10/2018 7:12am
piscokid wrote:
Nobody has pointed out that the person Anderson hit, by his own admission, changed direction on the track. He saw it was his friend down and...
ns503 wrote:

You are correct, he states he was in the infield.

From the article:

“A rider went down beyond the Wall Jump before the finish line jump. The track crew blocked the Wall Jump and made us go around it and the fallen rider before re-entering the track. I was going slow and when I looked over at the injured rider I saw that it as my friend. I wasn’t on the track, but on the infield, I turned towards the track and didn’t realize that Jason Anderson was behind me. He came out of nowhere.. He clipped my bars and we went down. I think his foot got wedged in my front end. I landed on my left side and was down for a bit, I’m a little bit bruised.”

So what happened then? Did he cut the track? Was Anderson was in the infield as well? Both guys off the track?

My point is that the guy involved has some responsibility in this as well.
BobbyM
6/10/2018 7:21am
piscokid wrote:
ns503 wrote:

piscokid wrote:
You are correct, he states he was in the infield. From the article: “A rider went down beyond the Wall Jump before the finish line jump...
You are correct, he states he was in the infield.

From the article:

“A rider went down beyond the Wall Jump before the finish line jump. The track crew blocked the Wall Jump and made us go around it and the fallen rider before re-entering the track. I was going slow and when I looked over at the injured rider I saw that it as my friend. I wasn’t on the track, but on the infield, I turned towards the track and didn’t realize that Jason Anderson was behind me. He came out of nowhere.. He clipped my bars and we went down. I think his foot got wedged in my front end. I landed on my left side and was down for a bit, I’m a little bit bruised.”

So what happened then? Did he cut the track? Was Anderson was in the infield as well? Both guys off the track?

My point is that the guy involved has some responsibility in this as well.
JA is now David Copperfield... "he came out of nowhere "?
philG
6/10/2018 7:46am
ML512 wrote:
It was over a blind hip Jump over the top of one of the hills. Such a sketchy spot on the track.
Hip Jump... where did that come from ??
ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/10/2018 8:20am
philG wrote:
Hip Jump... where did that come from ??
Kind of like the one they have on the national track now, but bigger. It was when Townley was on TLD here in the US.

Post a reply to: Pulp: This might peel the paint on somebody's Orange Glow Helmet

The Latest