Tevensen
Edited Date/Time 10/29/2015 6:56am
I wanna hear some opinions. Cause you know Steve reads this shit
|
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
10/26/2015 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 2:20pm
Big fan of his stuff. I listen to pretty much everything that Matthes puts out except the hockey stuff. I like that he has an opinion, sometimes he could be a little more professional. He doesn't like RC and if you listen you know that but I think he takes that a little too far. He also doesn't like Sleeter and I just feel it's a little bad taste to talk crap -( even if it's true) to a fairly large audience. I think he could've also handled the Tickle thing a little better. I think Steve could just word things a little differently. Don't get me wrong- I'm a huge Pulp fan but I kind of cringe when Steve goes off sometimes. I know what he'd say- "If you don't like it don't listen bro".
I really enjoy all of his co-hosts and guests. Gibbs kind of annoys me a little. I tried to listen to his podcast and lasted about 5 minutes not interesting or funny. I've heard that he wants to be a stand up comedian and I really haven't heard him say anything funny. Keefer is much funnier.
Motofinne
10/26/2015 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 2:51pm
I like what Steve does!

The only complaints i have is the lacking knowledge and content of MXGP stuff. He could do way better work on the GPs especially now when the GPs are more relevant than ever. And then the fact that Gibbs is a bit annoying some times but that's fine, it's not like it's ruining the PulpMX show experience. I find it a bit sad that some people hate on the guy so much, but i can understand that. Gibbs really can't take constructive criticism at all. If someone tries to help him out and tell him the flaws he just says "well, suck a dick". That is just extremely annoying and childish, and i'm the same age as him.

But overall Steve is doing great work! He is one of few guys that doesn't bro down all the time, he is willing to speak out when he feels the need to and that is extremely important to have in a small sport.

moto0852
10/26/2015 2:17pm
Huge repect for him and lots of love for the content.
If you want some insight into Matthes himself (not the podcast contents) listen to the http://www.muddymicpodcast.com/ podcast he just did. It's an hour of his personal history and how he got to where he is now.
Love or hate him he has created a one man empire the likes I never thought I would see again after TFS died.
He's earned his way into the position. Good on him.

Moto is a far better place with him and his podcasts around.
10/26/2015 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 2:31pm
Pulpmx is a great repository of moto history with the classic steel, old moto mags, and tell me a story columns. Just great stuff. I think Steve is in too deep with the "cliquish" side of the business and takes sides too often. As a journalist, he should've buried the Hatchet with RC long ago just to have his viewpoints for the historical record of the site. Can't hold grudges for decades if you want to be an actual journalist, in my opinion. I like Steve and pulp though

The Shop

bdownen323
10/26/2015 2:38pm
I saw your username and thought you might be the TEvensen I was thinking about, then your hometown confirmed it. As far as Pulp, I got hooked on it over the summer and it's incredible. Gives some great insight into the moto industry from the guys in it and it's a lot of information/discussion that you don't hear anywhere else.
Dx3moto
10/26/2015 2:40pm
I'm a big fan of Steve Matthes. Good guy, great analyst, love his podcasts, will always be a fan of his work.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/26/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 2:48pm
Love the show. Can't stand Gibbs. Would donate heavily to a "Bring Tits Back" fund.

Remember that one time when someone said they couldn't stand Adam Enticknap? Enticknap's response to the criticism was "Tell me what I can do better, friend." And he was actually being sincere.

Gibbs' standard response, on the other hand, is "Eff you. Whatever. I don't give a shit." Well listen, douche, you should give a shit because Matthes is actually trying to put out quality shows that people will enjoy and you are making it less enjoyable for a lot of them.

Steve, I know you have to deal with Gibbs personally and therefore are probably are having a hard time coming up with a good way to tell Gibbs to straighten up his act, but man, you just gotta sack up and do it. There are thousands of us out here suffering on a weekly basis.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
10/26/2015 2:47pm
Greatest thing since pants with pockets.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/26/2015 2:59pm
I don't really have anyone to talk Moto with so for me I really appreciate the pod casts related to moto in any way. I get a few good laughs each show and actually learn a thing or two about what's going on behind the scenes here and there. I dig it. Pretty much all I listen to while driving.
hvaughn88
10/26/2015 3:01pm
FLmxer wrote:
I don't really have anyone to talk Moto with so for me I really appreciate the pod casts related to moto in any way. I get...
I don't really have anyone to talk Moto with so for me I really appreciate the pod casts related to moto in any way. I get a few good laughs each show and actually learn a thing or two about what's going on behind the scenes here and there. I dig it. Pretty much all I listen to while driving.
I'm the exact same way. All my friends are strictly stick and ball guys and don't know anything about moto, so pulp is my fix.
hvaughn88
10/26/2015 3:01pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Love the show. Can't stand Gibbs. Would donate heavily to a "Bring Tits Back" fund. Remember that one time when someone said they couldn't stand Adam...
Love the show. Can't stand Gibbs. Would donate heavily to a "Bring Tits Back" fund.

Remember that one time when someone said they couldn't stand Adam Enticknap? Enticknap's response to the criticism was "Tell me what I can do better, friend." And he was actually being sincere.

Gibbs' standard response, on the other hand, is "Eff you. Whatever. I don't give a shit." Well listen, douche, you should give a shit because Matthes is actually trying to put out quality shows that people will enjoy and you are making it less enjoyable for a lot of them.

Steve, I know you have to deal with Gibbs personally and therefore are probably are having a hard time coming up with a good way to tell Gibbs to straighten up his act, but man, you just gotta sack up and do it. There are thousands of us out here suffering on a weekly basis.
x2
Kyle978
10/26/2015 3:13pm
I've been listening since the first Pelligrino episode several years ago, been hooked ever since. I usually agree with his opinion and theories, and I like the way he analyzes situations. I look forward to every podcast, interview or show he puts out, definitely helps the time go by.

Gibbs drives me nuts, I really wish he would unplug his mic for good. That's my only complaint.
fins227
10/26/2015 3:24pm
x2 on unplugging Gibbs, Im sure hes a decent human and its probably hard to find someone to replace him. But unplugging the mic would be a step in the right direction.

other than that the show is great!
Driven71
Fantasy
186th
10/26/2015 3:39pm
I've been listening to his shows for about 4 years. I got into moto in the late 80s and never dreamed we'd have access to this much content in so many forms. Steve's shows are great - can't get enough of them. I drive about 60k miles per year for my job and hardly ever have to listen to the radio. Pulp stuff isn't the only thing on the playlist, but it makes up a pretty big chunk!

I'm also intrigued by his story. I admire those who have the sack to risk failure and wind up succeeding at the things they are gifted to do in life. I tell my kids all the time that my childhood dream did not involve selling anything. I'm grateful to be employed and work my butt off, but I'd much rather being doing something motorcycle-related. I'm impressed with Steve's connections and how he has grown his audience and attracted more sponsors.

However, I don't think he'll get to that next level while keeping people like Gibbs around. If I was a potential advertiser he would single-handedly cause me to spend my money elsewhere. I don't care about his level of intellect or that he may have some reading challenges - lots of people have overcome things like that and managed to be very successful - I just cannot stand his attitude or the things he says that add nothing positive to the show. Like other long-time listeners, I'm not bailing, but I'm wondering what the audience growth numbers look like when comparing now to the pre-Gibbs era. Have they gained many new listeners since he started? It's possible that he might make an effort and become really great at his role on Pulp. Otherwise, I hope he realizes this isn't his thing and moves on.
Coach529
10/26/2015 3:40pm
Overall I am a fan. Love his work......but I will admit I get a little tired of being reminded he was 'Factory Mechanic".

What is the history behind is dislike of RC and Sleeter?
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
10/26/2015 3:45pm
His shows needs more Cole Seely
10/26/2015 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 3:50pm
I like pulp hockey. Too bad he's a leafs fan.
philG
10/26/2015 3:50pm
Its great to have so much stuff to listen to , and he is refreshingly honest .
Crush
10/26/2015 3:53pm
Love it. Honestly–think about what is left in terms of moto-media if he decided to quit. Yeah lots of text, but Pulp and the moto-podcasts are the best thing in moto-media, not even close.

Steve seems like a good dude and most of all, more than anything, I love that he isn't scared to say what he thinks. He calls a shovel and shovel and does not give a fuck if you, your bros or anyone else think otherwise. That's awesome, refreshing and rare...
moto0852
10/26/2015 4:27pm
Pulpmx is a great repository of moto history with the classic steel, old moto mags, and tell me a story columns. Just great stuff. I think...
Pulpmx is a great repository of moto history with the classic steel, old moto mags, and tell me a story columns. Just great stuff. I think Steve is in too deep with the "cliquish" side of the business and takes sides too often. As a journalist, he should've buried the Hatchet with RC long ago just to have his viewpoints for the historical record of the site. Can't hold grudges for decades if you want to be an actual journalist, in my opinion. I like Steve and pulp though
I'm not here to defend Steve but he has said multiple times that he would LOVE to have RC on a podcast and would basically give him a forum to say whatever he wants. burying the hatchet goes both ways. RC has tried to do and say some horrible things...when you try to exert your industry power and influence to get someone fired just because you don't like them that makes you a douche bag in my opinion.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
10/26/2015 4:37pm
We are very lucky to have all the content he puts out for us to enjoy for free.

I like pulpmx.
10/26/2015 4:38pm
Huge fan: listened to it from the start and was listening to his podcasts and reading his stuff before that. So much so that I have a PulpMX (and Vital!) logos on my Tech1 Designs graphics, I switched to Fly gear that I got from BTO and run Eks Brand Goggles. True story...

I love Matthes so much that I actually did this "Ask Ping" in 2008 when he wrenched for Wey in Canada:

What is the story with this Matthes guy? I mean, everyone knows about his decades-old man-crush on Tim Ferry, but lately it seems that he wants to play "Smuggle the Ham" with half the gate. First it was Byrner, then he goes on a date with Nick Wey – all the way to Canuckistan, no less. The strange thing is, despite his obvious need for man-on-man love, I can't help but be attracted to his "Observations" column. It is oddly compelling and insightful. Does this make me gay (not that anything is wrong with that!)?

Mark
New York City

Dear Mark,
Not that there is anything wrong with that? Seriously? The thought of Steve Matthes and, well, anyone getting it on makes me want to pull a bottle of Drano out from under my kitchen sink and chug it. I think you’ve been living in the city too long, my man. I understand your confusion about Steve-O. I mean, we know he loves Tim Ferry... fine. But then came the bro-mance with Byrner and then Nick Wey and even Andrew Short. He’s Ferry’s nemesis, for Pete’s sake! I don’t know if he just really wants to be pals with these guys or if he is a flaming pickle-sniffer and his wife and dogs back in Vegas are just an elaborate beard. Either way, don’t feel bad about reading his column. He has some nuggets in there and most of the time it is mildly entertaining.

PING
10/26/2015 4:39pm
By the way, for anyone that didn't hear it from the Lindsey days, you should go back and listen to those formative years. There were some pretty funny/awkward shows in there once Kenny started appearing and that happened pretty early. Good times...
10/26/2015 4:44pm
i love it, and Gibbs is cool. Admit it if you had the chance to talk to the people he does it would be hard to not talk. Steve is the true voice of motocross in my opinion.
bob567
10/26/2015 4:46pm
Pulp MX show/Steve Mathes is the greatest thing to happen to motocross media in the history of the sport.

I don't care for everything he does (can't stand listening to DV personally) but I respect he does not swing from the nut sacks of the top riders. I laugh my ass off every time he rips on RC's horrible tv commentary because I agree with him 101%.
10/26/2015 4:50pm
Big fan of the pulpmx show and can't get enough. I think Gibbs try's a little to hard at times to be funny or be involved in the show. That was the beauty of tits, he didn't try to interject or put his opinion in, so when he did you actually listened and usually laughed at his complete lack of moto knowledge.

For anyone who really hates Gibbs that much just do what I do when he talks, think about how much better he is then GIGI.

I use to dislike Watson on the show but now I miss him and his ruthlessness towards stupid callers and how we would give it to Steve regularly.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/26/2015 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 5:09pm
I kind of wonder how much money they get from the Amazon link. I showed my wife that when it started and now she will yell at me to use it through pulp instead of my Amazon app that she says she doesn't even have. lol I would think he could get that lambo he wants with as much stuff as my wife buys. Ups and FedEx are here 7 days a week and will most likely all be at Christmas dinner. That's how often they come and how close we have become. Lol
Your welcome Pookie and you too Steve. Oh and thanks for doing the show. I love it.

Post a reply to: Pulp Mx.

The Latest