Pulp MX is now Pulp Mountain bike

konarider94
Fantasy
3122nd
4/4/2019 6:55am
BikeGuy321 wrote:
If you don't already know what it is, google Strava.
This is the only point I agree with on the ebike hate. If you're setting KOM's on an eBike you're a douche.
DoctorJD wrote:
E-bikes aren't bicycles, they're mopeds. No self-respecting mountain biker would be caught DEAD on one. They are the quads of the cycling world. Unless you suffer...
E-bikes aren't bicycles, they're mopeds. No self-respecting mountain biker would be caught DEAD on one. They are the quads of the cycling world. Unless you suffer from a physical disability/or are morbidly obese, if you show up at one of our rides on a e-bike, you will be laughed out of the woods. Just imagine if you and all of your buddies showed up at the track on your dirt bikes, and one of your friends showed up on a quad. Yes, it's just like that.

Putting in the same amount of work on a bike as you do now but going faster doesn't sound fun to you? They dont have a twist throttle, they just add power to what you are putting in to the pedals. Who hasn't ridden a mtb trail thinking how fun it would be to have a dirtbike on sections to really get some speed going. E bikes can bridge the gap and make it more exciting. You can burn calories at the same rate but instead of a 10-11mph average speed maybe you hit 15+ average. Sounds like a good time to me. Or maybe in high elevation areas it gives you more trips to the top in a day. No self respecting mtb rider would ever take a shuttle or a chairlift....oh wait

I disagree with it being like a quad. Showing up on a fat bike, now thats like showing up on a quad.
WarrenMX
4/4/2019 8:29am
DoctorJD wrote:
E-bikes aren't bicycles, they're mopeds. No self-respecting mountain biker would be caught DEAD on one. They are the quads of the cycling world. Unless you suffer...
E-bikes aren't bicycles, they're mopeds. No self-respecting mountain biker would be caught DEAD on one. They are the quads of the cycling world. Unless you suffer from a physical disability/or are morbidly obese, if you show up at one of our rides on a e-bike, you will be laughed out of the woods. Just imagine if you and all of your buddies showed up at the track on your dirt bikes, and one of your friends showed up on a quad. Yes, it's just like that.

Cool story bro!

Casting
4/4/2019 10:25am
This is the only point I agree with on the ebike hate. If you're setting KOM's on an eBike you're a douche.
Don't look at Matthes' Strava then... lots of "fake" KOM's. That being said, I'm happy for the guy to be getting health benefits... but don't steal KOMs from someone who used their legs, not a motor, to achieve their result.

My gripe is the following: my local trails were built by regular mountain bikers. I haven't once seen an eMTB rider working on the trails, rebuilding, raking, etc. Gotta put in the work if you want to reap the benefits -- especially for trails that aren't in city parks and were made by volunteers.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
4/4/2019 10:33am
Casting wrote:
Don't look at Matthes' Strava then... lots of "fake" KOM's. That being said, I'm happy for the guy to be getting health benefits... but don't steal...
Don't look at Matthes' Strava then... lots of "fake" KOM's. That being said, I'm happy for the guy to be getting health benefits... but don't steal KOMs from someone who used their legs, not a motor, to achieve their result.

My gripe is the following: my local trails were built by regular mountain bikers. I haven't once seen an eMTB rider working on the trails, rebuilding, raking, etc. Gotta put in the work if you want to reap the benefits -- especially for trails that aren't in city parks and were made by volunteers.
It is odd that he can't be bothered to simply categorize his rides as ebike rides rather than rides. I put all my moto stuff under ebike. Strava needs a moto category.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/4/2019 10:51am
Casting wrote:
Don't look at Matthes' Strava then... lots of "fake" KOM's. That being said, I'm happy for the guy to be getting health benefits... but don't steal...

I just showed him like two weeks ago how to change his rides on Strave, he couldn't figure it out.
nytsmaC
4/4/2019 10:51am
DoctorJD wrote:

You and your buddies must think guys like Aaron Gwin are real chumps, huh?
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/4/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 10:52am
I would like An E-bike with a throttle, and preferably that could throw a Roost, You can point laugh and call it a Quad if you want to.

I agree that the Strava should have an e-bike category though, but if they don't how is that that Mathes fault?
Kinda sounds like a dont hate the player hate the game situation.
chuckie108
4/4/2019 11:04am
Cheating on Strava existed long before ebikes. I've seen leaderboards with World Cup pros down around 7-8th place with 15-20% slower times than than the local dude who has the KOM- not happening. I've also been on group rides where I'm following my buddy down a segment, and he ends up with a 8 second quicker/slower segment time at the end of the ride. Which puts Strava's accuracy in perspective. If you're putting that much importance into Strava, you've got issues. Want to know where you stack up? Go enter a proper race.
zehn
4/4/2019 11:07am
chuckie108 wrote:
Cheating on Strava existed long before ebikes. I've seen leaderboards with World Cup pros down around 7-8th place with 15-20% slower times than than the local...
Cheating on Strava existed long before ebikes. I've seen leaderboards with World Cup pros down around 7-8th place with 15-20% slower times than than the local dude who has the KOM- not happening. I've also been on group rides where I'm following my buddy down a segment, and he ends up with a 8 second quicker/slower segment time at the end of the ride. Which puts Strava's accuracy in perspective. If you're putting that much importance into Strava, you've got issues. Want to know where you stack up? Go enter a proper race.
Yeah I've never understood the fascination with Strava. It's literally social media for workouts. Go race
mmain62
4/4/2019 11:10am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 4:23am
I'm glad he changed it up a bit. I was with Keefer in thinking JEB was super inspirational in what he was saying. Seeing Steve's awesome transformation over the past few months and listening to that episode has inspired me to dust off the hard tail, ditch the gym, and hit the trails again. Like one guy said ... Don't like it Don't listen.... Simple.
Brent
4/4/2019 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 12:26pm
Well then call me a douche because that's how I roll.

Turbo Levo is the best bike Ive ever owned, the only e bike haters are the ones who have never ridden one.
Ask The King about his, he rode past me two weeks ago on his Levo...
ti473
4/4/2019 12:37pm
Brent wrote:
Well then call me a douche because that's how I roll. Turbo Levo is the best bike Ive ever owned, the only e bike haters are...
Well then call me a douche because that's how I roll.

Turbo Levo is the best bike Ive ever owned, the only e bike haters are the ones who have never ridden one.
Ask The King about his, he rode past me two weeks ago on his Levo...
Can you please stop with this "they only hate them cause they haven't ridden one" bullshit?
ti473
4/4/2019 12:42pm
chuckie108 wrote:
Cheating on Strava existed long before ebikes. I've seen leaderboards with World Cup pros down around 7-8th place with 15-20% slower times than than the local...
zehn wrote:
Yeah I've never understood the fascination with Strava. It's literally social media for workouts. Go race
exactly.... I like Strava as a way to be able to log my own stuff, and have some data that I may need someday. As for the KOM, mehhhh... was the trail perfectly groomed? did you have a 20mph tailwind? were you drafting in a big peloton?
Real races are the only way to compare shlongs... if you're into that kinda thing
ob
4/4/2019 1:22pm
Strava does have an E-bike mode, like people have said. Doesn’t mean it’s not gay ?
deluxeman
4/4/2019 1:48pm
If you want a $7500.00 bike for free you invite the guys on the show

If you want a $13,000.00 hot tub for free you invite the guys on the show

If you want a $9500.00 new YZ450 for free you invite the guys on the show........

I think I need a Podcast........

Jrewing
4/4/2019 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 3:12pm
deluxeman wrote:
If you want a $7500.00 bike for free you invite the guys on the show If you want a $13,000.00 hot tub for free you invite...
If you want a $7500.00 bike for free you invite the guys on the show

If you want a $13,000.00 hot tub for free you invite the guys on the show

If you want a $9500.00 new YZ450 for free you invite the guys on the show........

I think I need a Podcast........

Jrewing
4/4/2019 3:01pm
E-bikes are totally acceptable Mtb’ing here, whether Solo or group riding.
deluxeman
4/4/2019 3:45pm
mmain62 wrote:
I'm glad he changed it up a bit. I was with Keefer in thinking JEB was super inspirational in what he was saying. Seeing Steve's awesome...
I'm glad he changed it up a bit. I was with Keefer in thinking JEB was super inspirational in what he was saying. Seeing Steve's awesome transformation over the past few months and listening to that episode has inspired me to dust off the hard tail, ditch the gym, and hit the trails again. Like one guy said ... Don't like it Don't listen.... Simple.
There is a certain expectation when you tune into a podcast called the PulpMX show. I wasn’t looking for an Intense Cycle infomercial or a limp dick tips and tricks tutorial. I just want to hear about dirt bike racing and the personalities involved.

At least we know now how much an hour long infomercial costs on Pulp. $7500.00,the cost of a new Tazer.
Motodave15
4/4/2019 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 4:04pm
i want a e-bike, because i absofuckinglutely hate climbing...nothing i abhor more than the climb.... which is why i dont even mtb that much anymore. I gave it 6 months of climbing trails to trail heads consistently (to earn ur down) on my enduro.. and it never got easier or more fun... so im now strictly in the e-bike lane with a preferred full assist to climbing Tongue
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
4/4/2019 4:33pm
Love pulp. Will listen to every single thing pulp produces in its entirety. Steve and the crew are the best. I give zero about mountain biking. ‘
Am I a fan about all the mountain bike talk ? Hell no! Do I like hearing the interviews? Eh. Am I happy for the people that put it all on the line to follow their deams and start a company or whatever? Yes. For that I won’t complain.

That said, once pulp goes public and I’m a majority share holder there will be no mtn bike talk. Till then.....
Sierra Ranger
4/4/2019 4:44pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:

You don't get any snobbier than bicyclists, who seem to live in a world of constant pissed-offedness. Road bikers are the worst with that crap. And yes I ride mountain bikes (a hardtail and I wear cargo shorts)
hamncheeze
4/5/2019 12:09am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 12:12am
chuckie108 wrote:
Haha, cheating on Strava is super common and goes way beyond eBikes. When I retired from my second racing "career" (road racing, cat 1) Strava had just started to get a little bit popular (2011). Initially I was really digging it, going out and getting all the local KOMs, if someone stole one from me, I'd charge back out at first convenience to take it back, etc, etc. Then the user base grew and of course there were people cheating. First was a guy who loved a good dump truck motor pace. Not something one can do on the MTB, but this guy was a super douche (I used to race against him and he was shit). I used to have visions of him plowing into the back of the truck he was drafting. Then guys legitimately going out motor pacing to for training. Riding behind a scooter at 50 km/h is not the same as riding, and some guys were good about just making a ride private if they had been motor pacing but some younger racer guys just thought it was OK to take 30 KOMs on a motorpacing training ride.

But the real kicker for me was finding some web-based software where one could upload a ride, and then "juice it" by a certain percentage. So for example I could upload a ride with an average speed of say 33 km/h and give it a 5% juice and now it's a 34.7 km/h ride which is not really anything that someone would flag me for, but maybe I get a KOM or two out of it. I can absolutely guarantee people were doing this, and close analysis of the data files would show little tell-tale speed blips because the software could not re-create a smooth data set.

Somewhere around 2015 I just found myself caring less and less about stupid Strava and since then I've mostly backed out of it. I still upload rides, but I clipped a bunch of people I follow, now it's mostly close friends and real pros. But anyway, Strava is kind of a weird form of bike "racing" and if there's anything I've ever learned about bike racing is that there are always going to be cheaters. Had my heart broken too many times to believe otherwise.
MJC
4/5/2019 2:09am
DoctorJD wrote:

One of those down votes is from me, for you being an absolute fucking flog with everything you just wrote.
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
4/5/2019 2:55am
BikeGuy321 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:

How does it matter to you what someone else rides? Seems like the hate is a group mentality.
Guessing its jealously on some really weird level. "One of your rides" sound really fun...
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
4/5/2019 4:06am
I don't like quads because I've never ridden one.
JasonJLF
4/5/2019 4:49am
I race XC MTB and have some friends who race E-Bikes (they have separate categories for them in Enduro). They started it as a way of not having to work so hard on the uphills and enjoy the downhills, and the class was set up for older/less fit riders to have some fun.

Now they are talking of calling it a day because guys are turning up on special-build £10,000+ Specializeds that can apparently be chipped and take off like an Alta..

E-bikes have a place for recreation but not for racing. Go get an MX bike if you want to race something with a motor.
ob
4/5/2019 8:02am
I'm looking to buy an Ebike, so my girlfriend can ride it.
Premixed112
4/5/2019 8:11am
Crush wrote:
I enjoyed it! Jeff Steber is a legend and the moto cross over is relevant, plus it's not like Steve doesn't cover moto in the other...
I enjoyed it! Jeff Steber is a legend and the moto cross over is relevant, plus it's not like Steve doesn't cover moto in the other bajillion hours he produces every week.

After dark with the Chiz's was good also, I was laughing. Don't fart in bed people. It's bad.
dl117 wrote:
haven't listen to after dark yet, wife wants to be around to here it, she loves that segmant
Does your “bike” get “revved up” after that segment? Have you gotten to take “it” out for any “mud motos” afterwards?
Sorry, I just wanted an excuse to use the enuendos those guys use in the emails
RPM68
4/5/2019 11:37am
hamncheeze wrote:
All I can say is kudos to Matthes, you know you are absolutely killing it when the biggest complaint people have is that they had to...
All I can say is kudos to Matthes, you know you are absolutely killing it when the biggest complaint people have is that they had to listen to an hour of MTB talk. There's probably an average of 45 PulpMX Shows per year, at roughly 4 hours of non-commercial time. That is 180 hours of content. 1 hour of MTB talk is approaching 0.5% of the total content. And I'm only counting Pulp hours, not race reviews, privateer profiles, fantasy shows, Moto 60, or regular podcasts.

I will say I'm likely going to avoid the Pulp Show review show this week if that Skippy guy is on there. Clippy Clippy Skippy!
It wasn’t bad. I made it through the whole thing.

Post a reply to: Pulp MX is now Pulp Mountain bike

The Latest