Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

Question
9/12/2021 12:09pm
chewy4063 wrote:
You make less then 40k and pay 24k in rent? That is ridiculous lol. I make over 75k a year and pay around 19k a year...
You make less then 40k and pay 24k in rent? That is ridiculous lol. I make over 75k a year and pay around 19k a year in a very expensive city. Which still makes me want to puke thinking about, luckily it’s my last month of renting! You need to move!!
aeffertz wrote:
$2,000 a month isn’t that crazy if he lives in a bigger city.
chewy4063 wrote:
I know that…I also know it’s crazy to pay upwards of 70% of your income on rent…Buying a new bike every 3 years is ridiculous based...
I know that…I also know it’s crazy to pay upwards of 70% of your income on rent…Buying a new bike every 3 years is ridiculous based on those numbers.

There’s nothing wrong with making 40k a year, you’re working which is all that really matters. But living WAY beyond your means will always come back to bite you in the ass.

But grown people can make their own decisions.

To get back on topic. Yes motocross will continue to decline, it’s a different time and most kids today just sit inside playing video games. It’s not hard to see that it won’t be sustainable.

Is it expensive? Yes, it always has been. 2002 YZ250 sold for right around $6,000USD. Today they go for around $7,500USD. That’s not a crazy price increase that everyone keeps mentioning, 20 years later.

Price isn’t the driving force, it’s kids being raised in a different environment than we were. Ride around neighborhoods and let me know how many kids you see hanging out together riding their bicycles around.

I agree regarding the cost. It is actually less expensive than it was. Especially because the technology doesn't evolve as quickly.

I just think the people started to realize the risks associated to dirt bikes as well. I don't think extreme sports attracts as many people or as many viewers than at the begining of the x games.

Then, if they are hooked up, parents don't want to go all in as there is no career anymore (at least in europe), there is no hope as anyone outside the top 8 in the world championship is more or less paying to ride, whereas it was possible to make a small living being top 10 in a national championship about 25 years ago.

Then the way it is broadcasted puts the nails on the coffin. If we wanted to grow the sport, we would broadcast it live on youtube.

My 2 cents.
8500rpm
9/12/2021 12:48pm
chewy4063 wrote:
You make less then 40k and pay 24k in rent? That is ridiculous lol. I make over 75k a year and pay around 19k a year...
You make less then 40k and pay 24k in rent? That is ridiculous lol. I make over 75k a year and pay around 19k a year in a very expensive city. Which still makes me want to puke thinking about, luckily it’s my last month of renting! You need to move!!
aeffertz wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:
I know that…I also know it’s crazy to pay upwards of 70% of your income on rent…Buying a new bike every 3 years is ridiculous based...
I know that…I also know it’s crazy to pay upwards of 70% of your income on rent…Buying a new bike every 3 years is ridiculous based on those numbers.

There’s nothing wrong with making 40k a year, you’re working which is all that really matters. But living WAY beyond your means will always come back to bite you in the ass.

To get back on topic. Yes motocross will continue to decline, it’s a different time and most kids today just sit inside playing video games. It’s not hard to see that it won’t be sustainable.

Is it expensive? Yes, it always has been. 2002 YZ250 sold for right around $6,000USD. Today they go for around $7,500USD. That’s not a crazy price increase that everyone keeps mentioning, 20 years later.

Price isn’t the driving force, it’s kids being raised in a different environment than we were. Ride around neighborhoods and let me know how many kids you see hanging out together riding their bicycles around.
I agree with you on 'most kids' and also that you don't see them hang around on their bicycles... well, time changes... but I do wonder, is it so that they do NOT want to do 'fun actionsports' or are we old geezers who think going fast and jumping is fun?

I have kids, one son, he is fantastic, but he has limited interest in anything close to actionsports.

I have this feeling, might be very wrong, that many/most kids doesn't seem to 'seek the thrill of speed and danger' any longer.

We have a powerboat and wakeboard, no one really seem to be very interested in riding the wakeboard (not like Roczen and A.Hodges)... they try once a summer, but no big drive to try to jump and go big and have fun.

I see no jumps built were kids jump their bicycles.

I love my kids, but let me be honest, they are not seeking action sports like I did as young. Luckly my son is not super into video games so it's not like he is gaming too much.

I do wonder, all the kids that play MXvsATV, Supercross and all other videogames, do they dream of being able to do that for real? or are they happy with doing it in a game?

As young, when I saw high speed windsurfing and them jumping in waves, I dreamed of that every day until I saved enough money and bought my own windsurfing kit. I never became a good jumper, but at least I went fast.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same discussion is held on Windsurfing forums, 'are sport is dying', and it is, I think it's mostly 35+ yo guys who windsurf nowadays Smile

chewy4063
9/12/2021 1:21pm
aeffertz wrote:
chewy4063 wrote:

8500rpm wrote:
I agree with you on 'most kids' and also that you don't see them hang around on their bicycles... well, time changes... but I do wonder...
I agree with you on 'most kids' and also that you don't see them hang around on their bicycles... well, time changes... but I do wonder, is it so that they do NOT want to do 'fun actionsports' or are we old geezers who think going fast and jumping is fun?

I have kids, one son, he is fantastic, but he has limited interest in anything close to actionsports.

I have this feeling, might be very wrong, that many/most kids doesn't seem to 'seek the thrill of speed and danger' any longer.

We have a powerboat and wakeboard, no one really seem to be very interested in riding the wakeboard (not like Roczen and A.Hodges)... they try once a summer, but no big drive to try to jump and go big and have fun.

I love my kids, but let me be honest, they are not seeking action sports like I did as young. Luckly my son is not super into video games so it's not like he is gaming too much.

I do wonder, all the kids that play MXvsATV, Supercross and all other videogames, do they dream of being able to do that for real? or are they happy with doing it in a game?

As young, when I saw high speed windsurfing and them jumping in waves, I dreamed of that every day until I saved enough money and bought my own windsurfing kit. I never became a good jumper, but at least I went fast.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same discussion is held on Windsurfing forums, 'are sport is dying', and it is, I think it's mostly 35+ yo guys who windsurf nowadays Smile

Kids are only going to want to do what their peers are doing. That’s how I got into it, we moved into a house when I was ten years old, surrounded by neighbors who raced.

Parents can try to get their kids in moto to keep the tradition going, though it won’t last 9 times out of 10. The peers they are surrounded by the most probably have never seen a dirt bike in person.

I see all motor sports going on a steep downward trend in the next 10-20 years. Will only get worse when the kids today grow up and have never done an action sport in their life.

I can understand the safety part. I’ve been in and out of the sport for the last 20 years. Do I want to push my kid into something where the injury and serious injury risk is very high? Eh. I can see where a lot of parents would rather them just play team sports for; time, cost and injury chances (excluding football). Yes you can make any sport expensive, but it can also be dirt cheap.

I say just accept it will never again be like “back in the day” and just appreciate we grew up different and got to enjoy it.
9/12/2021 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2021 5:21pm
chewy4063 wrote:

8500rpm wrote:
I agree with you on 'most kids' and also that you don't see them hang around on their bicycles... well, time changes... but I do wonder...

chewy4063 wrote:
Kids are only going to want to do what their peers are doing. That’s how I got into it, we moved into a house when I...
Kids are only going to want to do what their peers are doing. That’s how I got into it, we moved into a house when I was ten years old, surrounded by neighbors who raced.

Parents can try to get their kids in moto to keep the tradition going, though it won’t last 9 times out of 10. The peers they are surrounded by the most probably have never seen a dirt bike in person.

I see all motor sports going on a steep downward trend in the next 10-20 years. Will only get worse when the kids today grow up and have never done an action sport in their life.

I can understand the safety part. I’ve been in and out of the sport for the last 20 years. Do I want to push my kid into something where the injury and serious injury risk is very high? Eh. I can see where a lot of parents would rather them just play team sports for; time, cost and injury chances (excluding football). Yes you can make any sport expensive, but it can also be dirt cheap.

I say just accept it will never again be like “back in the day” and just appreciate we grew up different and got to enjoy it.
I absolutely love the sport and agree on being worried about getting my kids into it for the danger, there is no question that the speeds and level of risk has increased. Yeah yeah I know it's always been a dangerous sport but it barely crossed my mind racing 125's in the early 90's. and the biggest jumps on the track were maybe 30 foot Table tops and 20 foot double's, These days people break Backs and hips on the regular

The Shop

Blackie59
9/12/2021 6:42pm
I tend to think that the industry needs to take a giant step back to racing on natural terrain and lower the physical risks if you want parents to shell out cash to get junior on a bike. SX’s fixation on extreme jumps doesn’t inspire confidence that rider safety is a priority at all.

Post a reply to: Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

The Latest