Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

h_reed
8/23/2017 9:16pm
hititpind wrote:
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a...
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a week. Now that I'm 26, I ride once every couple months, if that. For me, here is why:

- Cost (bike, gear, gas, maintenance, truck, trailer)
- No tracks within 2hrs from me (all of them got shut down for noise, endangered species, high cost)
- Every single one of my friends sold there bikes because they are too dangerous (got married, wife said sell it)

As far as the pro series goes, I used to be 100% fan of motocross. Now, I would prefer to watch supercross. The coverage with the AMA motocross is terrible. It's not exciting. Blurry 100% of the time. Commenting is boring.

With supercross, I'd rather watch it on TV than go to it. The cost to attend a race is ridiculous.

It sucks that if you want to do anything fun, you have to spend your entire savings to do it.

Just my opinion.
wfo4ever wrote:
I agree with you totally. I am 55 years old and everyone I know young and old have quit riding. I never even see a dirt...
I agree with you totally. I am 55 years old and everyone I know young and old have quit riding. I never even see a dirt bike in the back of a truck where I live in the mountains of NC anymore. The motorcycle dealerships around here are all "For Sale" and have been for quite a while. The dealers do not even stock but only a few new dirt bikes because they are hard to sell and they do not make barely any profit when they finally do sell them. The dealers are not even interested in trades or buying used dirt bikes. They also do not stock any riding gear or parts for dirt bikes. I buy my stuff all on line because it is cheaper and I can get if faster. There are only 3 dealers left in my area when there used to be 10 dealers within 50 miles. I have a 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought used in 2005. It had only been rode twice, and I only paid about 1/3 of what it cost new. The seller got hurt riding it at a motocross track, it happened over a big double jump. The bike was not damaged at all, and it was just like new. I ride it on my own property (trails) and have a great time on that YZ125. It has been very reliable. New bike prices are way too expensive. I am very happy with my 12 year old 2 Stroke 125 and it is all I need. The closest tracks or public riding areas are 2-3 hours away. All the tracks near me have huge jumps and the C riders (sand baggers) are all throwing huge whips over them. It costs around $30.00 to ride four 15 minute practice sessions. The tracks that are still open have terrible rider turn out for practice and even worse for racing. Most races are multiple classes grouped together. These remaining tracks are likely to be closed in the near future, as the owners are loosing money. I used to go to see the AMA Pro SX and MX races all the time, I quit going because it is too expensive. Last race I went to was the Atlanta SX in 2008, it cost me a small fortune for the tickets, shirts, beer and snacks. We only saw about 90 minutes of racing, with the top factory riders only racing for about 30 minutes of that time, it was a total rip off. Watching the AMA Nationals is a very big pain in the ass, 2-3 channels sometimes in a day, or maybe two and yes the picture quality sucks unless it is on NBC. That is if NBC even shows it, last week I had football instead. I am cancelling MAVTV and NBC sports channel after this weeks race. It is not worth it to pay the extra money to DirecTV and I will not pay for NBC Gold. I will catch it on Youtube if possible. Plus to watch follow the leader racing and whoever gets a good start win is very boring. I will continue to watch SX on Fox as it is part of my basic DirecTV package. Last but not least is MX, SX and even trail riding is going to die because of a severe lack of new riders and no where to ride. Kids would rather have the latest electronic device than a dirt bike these days. The best advice I can give is do not buy a motorcycle track or dealership unless you like loosing money. Also I can afford to buy new bikes, gear, and go to races. I have money, I just prefer to spend it wisely and I really hate getting ripped off. This is just my opinion.
Where in NC do you live?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
8/23/2017 9:17pm
captmoto wrote:
Yeah, I paid $1100 out the door for a 78 RM250 C2 and 1300 for a YZ250 in 80. I got $3861 for a YZ250 in...
Yeah, I paid $1100 out the door for a 78 RM250 C2 and 1300 for a YZ250 in 80. I got $3861 for a YZ250 in 2017 dollars. The inflation calculator doesn't take the yen vs. dollar changes over 37 years.
The point you guys are missing on is it's not apples to apples, you aren't buying a commodity that was the same technology/solution it was back then. The technology has improved by 1000-fold which exponentially drives the cost up. I think a more comparable new bike price-wise to the old bikes in terms of technology would be like buying a knock off "chonda" (Chinese knock off of a Honda) or something along those lines. A new "Chonda" runs about $2000 today. That's comparable in terms of inflation.
NorCal 50+
8/24/2017 12:31am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 12:34am
Matthes wrote:
I haven't read all the way through this thread but what I can see if you guys are covering something that we didn't talk about and...
I haven't read all the way through this thread but what I can see if you guys are covering something that we didn't talk about and that's the health of MX in general at all levels. What Watson was talking about was how tough it is for a professional team to make it in the sport with the restrictions placed on them. All of our talk was about the pro teams in the sport. When a team like RCH with its connections and at one time all their sponsors almost folded before this year and they're done end of this year. That's scary for all the private teams out there.

As far as I can tell, amateur stuff is strong looking at the LL level and I feel the sport has rebounded from its low of a few years ago but I don't really know to be honest. Bike sales have risen the last few years I've been told but they're still half of what they were in the 2006's, etc.
Hopefully I didn't misrepresent the conversation but it did strike me to hear a lot of the comments. Especially Peronnard who is such a positive dude. He spent his time at Alta recently, and expressed a lot of frustration with the professional culture in mx, that we hear getting slammed a lot. And yes, I am conflating SX and MX and all the various players. The nuances in the sport don't mean a thing without a larger presence for dirt bikes, which involves all the industry players, fans, and racers.
Watson, Peronnard and Matthes reflect a line-up that sees what is happening from the depths of the pits to the corporate board room where people write the big checks. It's a good listen!

The Shop

moto9
8/24/2017 12:55am
I remember that I quit racing mx and just road on practice days.
Mx race day was like $50 ish for 30 minutes of track time and I'd have to be there all day to get that 30 minutes.
A practice day was like $20 ish, I could get in a solid 2 to 3 hrs of track time and be out by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.
I raced grand prix's, show up 1/2 before you're race ride an hour and go home....that was fun!
Ya, bikes at 6 to 10k is crazy, you get maybe 3 to 4 seasons out of it before it's clapped out.
Then hope you can get a few grand out of it when you try to sell it.
Another issue is the loss of ride areas, hard for a family to dump thousands into bikes and equipment then have to drive 3 or 4 hours to ride.
The sport is definatly broken.

Fearo
8/24/2017 1:22am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 1:22am
It's funny, people bring up a lot of good points in this thread, but most of them believe theirs is "the" reason the sport is dying.

In reality though, imo a thread like this should be looked at from a much broader perspective. It's a culmination of frustrations we have with the sport, and we are the so called die-hards of the sport. We are on a message board interacting and are lots of people in here are 100% invested in the sport. If WE have all these frustrations, imagine what it must be for all the average riders/Racers that like motocross, but are nowhere near as committed to the sport as most of the guys on here.

I don't think there is one single factor that's decisive in the decline, probably a combination of all these factors and I'm sure there are a bunch I've left out:

-Cost
-Kids no longer being into bikes/bicycles/racing
-Tracks too difficult/jumps too big
-Too many classes
-Bitter competition between sponsors at the pro level -> Less pro teams -> Less incentive to pursue a career in moto
-General superiority complex of the moto crowd
-Not enough tracks/Too far away/ Too crowded
RCF
8/24/2017 3:55am
Sorry that this is a little bit off topic, but for someone that lives in Australia what are my best options into watching/streaming the gncc series?
Racer TV live, you can watch the whole race from start to finish then they reposted about a week later and you can watch it whenever you want.
themrtoad
8/24/2017 6:57am
I think MX and in some way SX as well is somehow lost. They have to decide if they race on dirtbikes to promote sale of bikes/parts or if they race to promote energy drinks and make the promotors rich.

F1 doesn't really sell cars, but it works anyway somehow. Great tv deals and lot's of mainstream interests. The visitors at the races can't be all ex F1 drivers!

SX is probably aiming in this direction, and I think they should since it's not for the masses to pursuit because of the skills required and the dangers involved.

MX is one step behind SX in many ways. It's a harder to put on tv(big area, weather, long races, not as spectacular for a new audience perhaps?) On the other hand you can/could pursuit MX/Trailriding on many different levels from novice to pro, and this generates sales of bikes/parts.

The manufacturers of bikes and parts need to sell their products to consumers. To do this they support raceteams in SX/MX on national and international level. These teams then have to pay the promotors to be able to take part in races, and it seems the bill is so high so any raceteam needs outside money to go around.. The promotors then tries to get the show attractive for visitors and tv, with rather bad result and the number of riders is declining all the time on a grassroot level. The number of raceteams is also declining due to costs/competition for the same sponsors.

It seems the businessmodel isn't working at all. We are still not mainstream, raceteams are running out of business, and bike and parts sales isn't doing very well.

Things must change. We have made a big niche sport a small one, and besides promotors and energy drinks it's a loose/loose situation. I think it's stupid that we have competing motocross series. Bring the best riders in MX together and pay for a better tv-deal for the money saved. Bring back slower and cheaper and more quiet bikes for entry level, and tracks suited to these. Make the heroes of mx real stars, but at the same time make grassroot racing affordable and accessable.
roninho
8/24/2017 8:00am
captmoto wrote:
Yeah, I paid $1100 out the door for a 78 RM250 C2 and 1300 for a YZ250 in 80. I got $3861 for a YZ250 in...
Yeah, I paid $1100 out the door for a 78 RM250 C2 and 1300 for a YZ250 in 80. I got $3861 for a YZ250 in 2017 dollars. The inflation calculator doesn't take the yen vs. dollar changes over 37 years.
TbonesPop wrote:
The point you guys are missing on is it's not apples to apples, you aren't buying a commodity that was the same technology/solution it was back...
The point you guys are missing on is it's not apples to apples, you aren't buying a commodity that was the same technology/solution it was back then. The technology has improved by 1000-fold which exponentially drives the cost up. I think a more comparable new bike price-wise to the old bikes in terms of technology would be like buying a knock off "chonda" (Chinese knock off of a Honda) or something along those lines. A new "Chonda" runs about $2000 today. That's comparable in terms of inflation.
I actually think it is a great comparison. Back then the RM & YZ were the best technology available, and they are compared to what is todays best technology available.

In addition to this, i think one should really wonder if the sport needs bikes with more HP and more technology, or if the sport needs at least 1 senior class with less powerfull and lower cost bikes.

When i was younger it was pretty normal that you''d race well in your 20's in the 125cc class which was 30 hp-ish back then. Now you have 16 year olds on a bike with 44 hp, and let's face it 99% of the people riding a bike will not get close to using most of the potential of the bike anyway.
skid mark
8/24/2017 11:52am
One of the statistics I have been hearing (from dealership people) is that in the past approx 25% of riders were over the age of 50. In recent years this has changed to 50%. To me this stat indicates the declining interest in the sport.
PRM31
8/24/2017 12:16pm
In the late 70s and early 80s, when you got a bike it was pretty much race ready and the best technology of the time. In fact, I'd say technology leaped more in that period, or even 80 to 81, than in any decade or two span since.

JackLHyde
8/24/2017 12:42pm
skid mark wrote:
One of the statistics I have been hearing (from dealership people) is that in the past approx 25% of riders were over the age of 50...
One of the statistics I have been hearing (from dealership people) is that in the past approx 25% of riders were over the age of 50. In recent years this has changed to 50%. To me this stat indicates the declining interest in the sport.
You can see that, the tracks are shared between vet guys and instabangers.
GangGreen
8/24/2017 12:58pm
skid mark wrote:
One of the statistics I have been hearing (from dealership people) is that in the past approx 25% of riders were over the age of 50...
I agree with the older crowd statement. It's the same situation with mountain biking and golf, where you seldom see high school or college age youth. If youth are riding or racing it's a good bet their father is as well. It sure would be nice if it was just one thing that's causing the decline, but I feel it's all of the above.

There's been an argument around here that the track owners are blaming the low turnout for races on "Open Practice" days. I disagree with that and feel it's a different subset of riders. If they stop having open practice days, I think even more guys will just quit altogether.
NorCal 50+
8/24/2017 1:06pm
themrtoad wrote:
I think MX and in some way SX as well is somehow lost. They have to decide if they race on dirtbikes to promote sale of...
I think MX and in some way SX as well is somehow lost. They have to decide if they race on dirtbikes to promote sale of bikes/parts or if they race to promote energy drinks and make the promotors rich.

F1 doesn't really sell cars, but it works anyway somehow. Great tv deals and lot's of mainstream interests. The visitors at the races can't be all ex F1 drivers!

SX is probably aiming in this direction, and I think they should since it's not for the masses to pursuit because of the skills required and the dangers involved.

MX is one step behind SX in many ways. It's a harder to put on tv(big area, weather, long races, not as spectacular for a new audience perhaps?) On the other hand you can/could pursuit MX/Trailriding on many different levels from novice to pro, and this generates sales of bikes/parts.

The manufacturers of bikes and parts need to sell their products to consumers. To do this they support raceteams in SX/MX on national and international level. These teams then have to pay the promotors to be able to take part in races, and it seems the bill is so high so any raceteam needs outside money to go around.. The promotors then tries to get the show attractive for visitors and tv, with rather bad result and the number of riders is declining all the time on a grassroot level. The number of raceteams is also declining due to costs/competition for the same sponsors.

It seems the businessmodel isn't working at all. We are still not mainstream, raceteams are running out of business, and bike and parts sales isn't doing very well.

Things must change. We have made a big niche sport a small one, and besides promotors and energy drinks it's a loose/loose situation. I think it's stupid that we have competing motocross series. Bring the best riders in MX together and pay for a better tv-deal for the money saved. Bring back slower and cheaper and more quiet bikes for entry level, and tracks suited to these. Make the heroes of mx real stars, but at the same time make grassroot racing affordable and accessable.
One simple solution, take some of the money going into the promoter's pockets and use it to create a purse structure that doesn't look like the winner's pot for the tractor pull at the county fair.

$100k per round for the winner 450, $50k for 250.
$1 million per 450 championship, with maybe some to the TEAM (thus providing a reasonable shot for ROI for a racing season).
tickleme20
8/24/2017 1:19pm
Fearo wrote:
It's funny, people bring up a lot of good points in this thread, but most of them believe theirs is "the" reason the sport is dying...
It's funny, people bring up a lot of good points in this thread, but most of them believe theirs is "the" reason the sport is dying.

In reality though, imo a thread like this should be looked at from a much broader perspective. It's a culmination of frustrations we have with the sport, and we are the so called die-hards of the sport. We are on a message board interacting and are lots of people in here are 100% invested in the sport. If WE have all these frustrations, imagine what it must be for all the average riders/Racers that like motocross, but are nowhere near as committed to the sport as most of the guys on here.

I don't think there is one single factor that's decisive in the decline, probably a combination of all these factors and I'm sure there are a bunch I've left out:

-Cost
-Kids no longer being into bikes/bicycles/racing
-Tracks too difficult/jumps too big
-Too many classes
-Bitter competition between sponsors at the pro level -> Less pro teams -> Less incentive to pursue a career in moto
-General superiority complex of the moto crowd
-Not enough tracks/Too far away/ Too crowded
Agree with this. Everyone has made some really good points; it's likely a culmination of all of them.

In general, it seems to be dying out the way the electric guitar/music made with real instruments are. It takes a lot of time, expense and effort to be quite good at it. PLUS, it's just not "cool" anymore, at least not the way it was even when I was growing up in the 90s. There's no Eddie Van Halen/Travis Pastrana types for the kids of today to worship/copycat. If they get into those things at all, it's probably because of their parents.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/24/2017 1:51pm
roninho wrote:
I actually think it is a great comparison. Back then the RM & YZ were the best technology available, and they are compared to what is...
I actually think it is a great comparison. Back then the RM & YZ were the best technology available, and they are compared to what is todays best technology available.

In addition to this, i think one should really wonder if the sport needs bikes with more HP and more technology, or if the sport needs at least 1 senior class with less powerfull and lower cost bikes.

When i was younger it was pretty normal that you''d race well in your 20's in the 125cc class which was 30 hp-ish back then. Now you have 16 year olds on a bike with 44 hp, and let's face it 99% of the people riding a bike will not get close to using most of the potential of the bike anyway.
I think the point he was making is that bikes today just have a greater number of individual parts between the engine, suspension and frame/bodywork. All those parts cost money to manufacture even after the development of them is done.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/24/2017 1:58pm
GangGreen wrote:
I agree with the older crowd statement. It's the same situation with [b]mountain biking[/b] and [b]golf[/b], where you seldom see high school or college age youth...
I agree with the older crowd statement. It's the same situation with mountain biking and golf, where you seldom see high school or college age youth. If youth are riding or racing it's a good bet their father is as well. It sure would be nice if it was just one thing that's causing the decline, but I feel it's all of the above.

There's been an argument around here that the track owners are blaming the low turnout for races on "Open Practice" days. I disagree with that and feel it's a different subset of riders. If they stop having open practice days, I think even more guys will just quit altogether.
Most kids that participate in expensive hobbies (moto, cycling, skiing/snowboarding, golf, RC hobbies etc.) are able to because they have parents that are into that stuff. Maybe it all comes down to the parents and a distilling of people out of these hobbies. Peaked with adult boomers in the 70s and 80s, they became parents and 50% got their Gen X and millenial kids into it, 50% of those parents are currently getting their kids into it. This leads to decreasing numbers even with increasing population.
gharmon
8/24/2017 2:08pm
I have three young boys, 6, 9 and 12. I offered them they could have mini bikes instead of Ipad / xbox, the two youngest said...
I have three young boys, 6, 9 and 12.

I offered them they could have mini bikes instead of Ipad / xbox, the two youngest said no and the oldest didnt even bother to answer me.

The Trampoline is still the No1 toy they use it every day it is not raining, even then they would if i let them.

If there was ever a toy that was worth the money and didnt go to waste its the trampoline. and they don't cost shit anymore. When I was growing up (im 46) they were as rare as people having pools like $500 or so. That was in like 1980. Now what $200?
gharmon
8/24/2017 2:12pm
philG wrote:
We rode a practice track last weekend, all totally natural, graded nice, to let what rain we had soak in nice, track was perfect, not a...
We rode a practice track last weekend, all totally natural, graded nice, to let what rain we had soak in nice, track was perfect, not a single man made obstacle anywhere, place was rammed, don't recall seeing a single session stoppage or incident.

I did 5 sessions, rode 1.5 hours and felt fresh on sunday morning . compared to usual, where we ride a track that has only one straight that doesn't have a jump in it, after a day there I cant walk properly for a week.
Man do I know that feeling. Quads and gluts and sore as shit. Personally my traps hurt like crazy to from hanging on.
TXDirt
8/24/2017 2:17pm
GangGreen wrote:
I agree with the older crowd statement. It's the same situation with [b]mountain biking[/b] and [b]golf[/b], where you seldom see high school or college age youth...

early wrote:
Most kids that participate in expensive hobbies (moto, cycling, skiing/snowboarding, golf, RC hobbies etc.) are able to because they have parents that are into that stuff...
Most kids that participate in expensive hobbies (moto, cycling, skiing/snowboarding, golf, RC hobbies etc.) are able to because they have parents that are into that stuff. Maybe it all comes down to the parents and a distilling of people out of these hobbies. Peaked with adult boomers in the 70s and 80s, they became parents and 50% got their Gen X and millenial kids into it, 50% of those parents are currently getting their kids into it. This leads to decreasing numbers even with increasing population.
I started racing when I was 7. By the end of it all when I was 20 I had obtained my AMA Pro license and qualified for national races.

My parents were the driving force in racing by taking me all over the country. Spending tons of money, etc.

I have had numerous injuries, as most who race motorcycles tend to have. Some more then others. Some injuries worse then others.

I'm not sure how my parents were able to continue to let us race. I think from a "nerves" perspective it drove them crazy seeing their kids get hurt.

But they still let me do it.

Fast forward 10-15 years later and I have my own family and there is pretty much no way I would be able to let them race a dirt bike.

I feel bad saying that because racing all over the country was a once in a life time experience.

At the end of the day, I'm just not sure it's worth it. Every time you line up at the gate, there are so many risks.

And yeah I totally understand you take risks going to the grocery store.

If I got my kids bikes I would do more trail riding, GNCC, etc. Don't think I could ever get them into SX/MX racing.

Perhaps things go in cycles. I missed out on the stick and ball sports. It's likely my kids will do more of those. Then when my kids have kids maybe they will do something other then stick and ball sports.
8/24/2017 4:28pm
My observations.

Here in OZ, I cant remember exactly, but my first bike was roughly 10 weeks wages back in 1978,
2017 again it is roughly 10 weeks wages.

But now the operating costs, racing fees and travel costs are probably four times in comparision to what they were back then.

Resale of the bike is half of what it was back then on a bike a year old.

The result of a crash on the track due to obsticle size appears to be much worse.
NorCal 50+
8/24/2017 5:19pm
Expense has been a complaint in this sport for decades- when bikes hit $2000 it was a big deal. That will never change.
I remember people saying that water cooling was going to drive up costs too much.

As far as danger, some obviously have a mini track, a Vet track, a full moto track etc. but that is not always possible. Like people have said, it's a combination of factors.
The industry should hold a summit and air grievances for a top to bottom re-vamp. Hell, invite Luongo. Grinning
8/24/2017 5:36pm
TbonesPop wrote:
The point you guys are missing on is it's not apples to apples, you aren't buying a commodity that was the same technology/solution it was back...
Wrong
What technology do you speak of?
The wheels are still round
The brakes are still disc
They still have chains
The forks go up and down etc
Seems youve been brainwashed into believing the mantra of manufacturer brochures
Just because its a 4 stroke at double the displacement and a little black box controlling the fuel?
People can go just as fast on a freakin Maico at a local track
ob
8/24/2017 6:39pm
It's so easy to see. Young people aren't into it. Maybe it's expense, cool factor, parents that are to scared for their young soft ass kids? Whatever reason it's now a middle aged sport at the tracks. I don't see a good ending to this. At least in the US. In other parts of the world where incomes, costs, and actual free time are possible it might have a chance.
honda907
8/24/2017 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 6:50pm
I read only the first page. Some people get it. Some good insights I have been saying all along for years. I just shut up

Tracks made for pros at the local level
Could user a spec class like adult CRF 100 class. (Make that STOCK ONLY)
People have the money, they just think racing MX is a poor value for what you pay and put into it.
Offload is booming because.........( put something in here. MANY reasons)
If your not flashy with the newest stuff, your not going to be accepted
Too long and sitting all day
People are spending LOTS of money in other sports for Jr to do

I could go on. Just listen to the MX Sports mantra why MX is dying. Cell phones and kids sitting around. Well those cell phones can be a good marketing tool.
They just are marketing a poor product at the moment. Hopefully they get some insight here and read the posts.
potatoflake
8/25/2017 6:28pm
While all motosports are dying slowly.. IMO motocross is killing. :FlameSuitOn: Pro Guys can do the super rough gnarly tracks because they have works suspension, are...
While all motosports are dying slowly.. IMO motocross is killing. :FlameSuitOn:

Pro Guys can do the super rough gnarly tracks because they have works suspension, are in shape, practice several times a week, talet, etc. The companies and tracks are kept alive by the C class rider with no sponsorships yet no one seems to give a fuck about these riders. To me it seems that moto is becoming so expensive that its becoming the haves and have nots. Many times the "haves" are guys that grew up with bikes and just dont ride like they used to, this same group of people is buying from the one company that cares about them: KTM. Hardcore racers will disagree with me but C class and even D class are the only classes that are packed every practice and race that I have been to this year. I think the C/D class rider has become alienated to the point that they just dont want to ride motocross, they will put their money where they get more bang for their buck: GNCC.

I did a hare scramble this year and was blown away with the number of riders in every class and how inclusive it was. Doesnt matter if you have jeans and a XR200 or a sponsorship with Husky everyone is treated the same. That being said I dont know what it is about moto but it isnt welcoming at all, from the tracks, class structure, cost, peoples attitudes, etc. For some reason people on the fence just dont want to ride moto like they used to which directly translates to people not buying gear/parts etc that are MOTO related. Most of it translates to off road, hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make. Disagree with me all you want but I have rode pretty much every weekend the last two years in Michigan D14(one of the best districts for motocross) and C /D class(morelands) is always packed yet they design the tracks for A/B class riders. IMO take the GNCC approach where everyone is welcome, change the attitude so that its OK to bring a roached out 125 to the track, make the tracks so that the roached out 125 rider can have fun still, and try to sell a day of fun to the guy that can ride a bike and doesnt make 80 grand a year or the guy that does make 80 grand a year but has kids, a brand new KTM, and doesnt want to get hurt. Its like moto only wants to work with the moto crowd, not the "dirt bike" crowd. Hell make a XR100 class for adults to have fun, whatever it takes to get people in the gate and on 2 wheels.
Nailed it
8/25/2017 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 6:41pm
Hey guys look at this, another post complaining about mx instead of actually doing something about it. Ok if its such an issues then just continue to support your local races and try and help out the mx scene.
8/25/2017 6:47pm
PRM31 wrote:
The more expensive the bikes get, the fewer you sell. In racing, that means less of everything else including fans to attend races. I'm sure there...
The more expensive the bikes get, the fewer you sell. In racing, that means less of everything else including fans to attend races. I'm sure there are competing social issues as well, but the things the sport can control are not being managed to grow the sport.
Ok you gotta realize bikes are going to reach a point where technology and they will become cheaper. If thats whats "killing" the sport than it seems to me it could recover. Look at quads, they are primitive compared to these bike and in a few years that change for quads could come to.
9/7/2021 11:53am
Those that think MX is too expensive...what about it is expensive? Technically speaking all of us could take a $1400 RM125, $10 in pump fuel, $400...
Those that think MX is too expensive...what about it is expensive?

Technically speaking all of us could take a $1400 RM125, $10 in pump fuel, $400 in oneal gear in the back of a $1000 S10/Ranger to the track...but very few of us do that.

This is a very interesting thread. Even Steve Mathes weighing in! (Legend in my opinion)
As far this post right here, I honestly think more people would do this, Guys that quit and new people and most could afford an older used 125 and an S10, Ranger etc, or a cheap trailer.
More would If all local races across the country had a 125
A expert/pro
B Intermediate
C Beginner/novice
Class, thar didn't allow 250f's
Keep those classes separate!
I've heard of a few local tracks that say they're have tried
But only brought one 125cc class for all if people could count on there being an ABC everywhere I honestly think it would help with growth over time

P.S yes I'm aware it's an old thread and we should just let all this old information stay dead for who ever is gonna say what's wrong with you?
For commenting on an old thread.
Seems like there are a lot of good talking points in this tread!

I Recently saw this Clean 05 CR125 listed for sale for $2150
I feel confident that if people had classes they were comfortable with to race bikes like this that this would help with growth of local racing.
Would a local 125 only!
ABC class bring you back to racing
ArmPumped
9/7/2021 11:55am
fox1nz wrote:
Blame the Energy Drink Companies I say. They have taken over and others no longer want to compete.
The companies that completely saved the sport and are the only ones driving innovation??

Post a reply to: Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

The Latest