Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

8/23/2017 4:16am
I am shocked that vital seems to mostly agree...this is weird.

Where do we go from here? Do we just sit back and continue the path we are on? Its not like the AMA actually does anything.

I think our only option is to speak with our wallets. I know next year I plan on doing the entire hare scramble series and spending much less time at the mx track.
dedi684
8/23/2017 4:26am
JC21 wrote:
Jumps, jumps, jumps - they are killing MX.

Imagine you're playing little league but have to face a 100mph fast ball.
Juice_Mann wrote:
I agree with this. I'm 26 years old, work 50 hours a week, own a house, married, and have my first child on the way. Needless...
I agree with this. I'm 26 years old, work 50 hours a week, own a house, married, and have my first child on the way. Needless to say I've got bills to pay. There's no way in hell I'm hucking a giant triple step down or a do or die gap jump like I used to in my teens. MX tracks piss me off to the point where I don't even want to ride them anymore with all these stupid jumps. I like a big jump here and there, but they should be forgiving. Like step ups, tables, or doubles with sizable landings. Motocross isn't about jumps anyway. And yeah I'm not sure I want my future children to race unless these tracks start getting a little tamer. Some of the shit I've seen kids have to jump on a mini to be competitive is unbelievable and I wouldn't be comfortable with mine doing that.
mark911 wrote:
I also agree. I think there's a connection with the rise of SX, the subsequent incorporation of man made obstacles at the local level, and the...
I also agree. I think there's a connection with the rise of SX, the subsequent incorporation of man made obstacles at the local level, and the decline in amateur participation.

MX offers a unique opportunity to satisfy several emotional needs. The need for excitement, competition, physical fitness, speed, challenge, etc. However, as strong as these needs can be they're nothing compared to the need for self preservation (safety), at least for most mortals! This is nothing new and anyone who's raced, past or present, instinctively manages the risks and rewards using their right hand. One simply goes a little slower before they reach that crossover point.

Unfortunately, there's no such option when it comes to most double jumps. It's typically do or die, and if you are risk adverse for whatever reason and don't feel comfortable you're just going to roll them. In addition, unlike natural terrain obstacles which can be practiced just about anywhere you can ride, jumps (at least ones like at the track) simply don't exist in nature so it's difficult to get comfortable.

This I believe has created two different camps in amateur MX, particularly vet MX. Those that jump and those that don't. The jumpers can't understand what the problem is, just pin it and fly. Those that don't think that's crazy thinking. Neither is right or wrong, it just is.

If it were a few jumps here and there it probably wouldn't matter that much in lap times, there are always ways to make up a few tenths. But with these jumps on almost every straight it's more like a few seconds per lap difference and almost impossible to make up without similar risk taking everywhere else. It's to the point where a rider can simply "putt putt" through the majority of the track and as long as they make the jumps can do well. Meanwhile, the non jumper tries to flow around a track designed for jumping and it's constantly interrupting and disrupting that flow making for a very frustrating race.

So what happens? The non jumper feels frustrated, non competitive, slow, and possibly in danger of being landed on. Basically, the opposite of why they started racing to begin with. With so many other options available to satisfy their needs what do you think they do? They stop racing/practicing MX. This happens (happened) very slowly over time so the evolution to jump tracks and riders seemed to be responding to the majority demand when in fact the majority simply silently left the sport.

With respect to new and younger participation, can you picture a parent attending their first SX race? Exciting, entertaining, heck yes. Gonna let your little one do that? Hell no, those guys are crazy!

Bottom line, in my opinion the sport, both in terms of participation and reasonable financial requirement, was at its peak when the tracks were more like the stuff we could ride at our local dirt lots, mountains, deserts, and OHV parks. Maybe we need to return to the past to preserve the future.

Yup I agree
PRM31
8/23/2017 5:38am
JC21 wrote:
Jumps, jumps, jumps - they are killing MX.

Imagine you're playing little league but have to face a 100mph fast ball.
Juice_Mann wrote:
I agree with this. I'm 26 years old, work 50 hours a week, own a house, married, and have my first child on the way. Needless...
I agree with this. I'm 26 years old, work 50 hours a week, own a house, married, and have my first child on the way. Needless to say I've got bills to pay. There's no way in hell I'm hucking a giant triple step down or a do or die gap jump like I used to in my teens. MX tracks piss me off to the point where I don't even want to ride them anymore with all these stupid jumps. I like a big jump here and there, but they should be forgiving. Like step ups, tables, or doubles with sizable landings. Motocross isn't about jumps anyway. And yeah I'm not sure I want my future children to race unless these tracks start getting a little tamer. Some of the shit I've seen kids have to jump on a mini to be competitive is unbelievable and I wouldn't be comfortable with mine doing that.
mark911 wrote:
I also agree. I think there's a connection with the rise of SX, the subsequent incorporation of man made obstacles at the local level, and the...
I also agree. I think there's a connection with the rise of SX, the subsequent incorporation of man made obstacles at the local level, and the decline in amateur participation.

MX offers a unique opportunity to satisfy several emotional needs. The need for excitement, competition, physical fitness, speed, challenge, etc. However, as strong as these needs can be they're nothing compared to the need for self preservation (safety), at least for most mortals! This is nothing new and anyone who's raced, past or present, instinctively manages the risks and rewards using their right hand. One simply goes a little slower before they reach that crossover point.

Unfortunately, there's no such option when it comes to most double jumps. It's typically do or die, and if you are risk adverse for whatever reason and don't feel comfortable you're just going to roll them. In addition, unlike natural terrain obstacles which can be practiced just about anywhere you can ride, jumps (at least ones like at the track) simply don't exist in nature so it's difficult to get comfortable.

This I believe has created two different camps in amateur MX, particularly vet MX. Those that jump and those that don't. The jumpers can't understand what the problem is, just pin it and fly. Those that don't think that's crazy thinking. Neither is right or wrong, it just is.

If it were a few jumps here and there it probably wouldn't matter that much in lap times, there are always ways to make up a few tenths. But with these jumps on almost every straight it's more like a few seconds per lap difference and almost impossible to make up without similar risk taking everywhere else. It's to the point where a rider can simply "putt putt" through the majority of the track and as long as they make the jumps can do well. Meanwhile, the non jumper tries to flow around a track designed for jumping and it's constantly interrupting and disrupting that flow making for a very frustrating race.

So what happens? The non jumper feels frustrated, non competitive, slow, and possibly in danger of being landed on. Basically, the opposite of why they started racing to begin with. With so many other options available to satisfy their needs what do you think they do? They stop racing/practicing MX. This happens (happened) very slowly over time so the evolution to jump tracks and riders seemed to be responding to the majority demand when in fact the majority simply silently left the sport.

With respect to new and younger participation, can you picture a parent attending their first SX race? Exciting, entertaining, heck yes. Gonna let your little one do that? Hell no, those guys are crazy!

Bottom line, in my opinion the sport, both in terms of participation and reasonable financial requirement, was at its peak when the tracks were more like the stuff we could ride at our local dirt lots, mountains, deserts, and OHV parks. Maybe we need to return to the past to preserve the future.

Mark911, I stated that I feel cost, risk, satisfaction and changing social factors all play a role. You nailed the risk and hit on the satisfaction aspect.
It is not fun to roll jumps or pound through obstacles because I don't feel like taking a chance of visiting the ER. Doing that lap after lap is not nearly as satisfying. I've come off the track wondering why I bother. I wonder if tracks with more natural terrain and no make-or-break obstacles would, over time, attract more of us weekend, fun riders?

I've considered racing again, but when I look at results I see classes with 5, maybe 10 riders at the most. Not very appealing. I haven't looked at all of them, so maybe there are more at times, but why have so many classes and so few riders in each? I'm 50 and could race many classes. Why? I guess I'm stuck in my 80's class structure mindset.
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
930th
8/23/2017 5:41am
Motocross is too expensive, I'm from Southern California my family did everything they could do to keep two 250fs rolling when I was racing mid pack intermediate, against kids with obsolete bikes. I would never want to get my kid into racing these days as it's just getting worse, energy drinks controlling the sport along with trends & rules. I'm on my own know with a nice two stroke still can't afford to race with a dirt bike, truck payment, rent etc. 30$ just to get into a track these days gear companies wanting 150$ for a pair of riding pants. Endless your making 6 figures I don't see how kids race these days.

The Shop

hititpind
8/23/2017 6:17am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 6:19am
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a week. Now that I'm 26, I ride once every couple months, if that. For me, here is why:

- Cost (bike, gear, gas, maintenance, truck, trailer)
- No tracks within 2hrs from me (all of them got shut down for noise, endangered species, high cost)
- Every single one of my friends sold there bikes because they are too dangerous (got married, wife said sell it)

As far as the pro series goes, I used to be 100% fan of motocross. Now, I would prefer to watch supercross. The coverage with the AMA motocross is terrible. It's not exciting. Blurry 100% of the time. Commenting is boring.

With supercross, I'd rather watch it on TV than go to it. The cost to attend a race is ridiculous.

It sucks that if you want to do anything fun, you have to spend your entire savings to do it.

Just my opinion.
TXDirt
8/23/2017 6:58am
It really boils down to three things.

1. Cost
2. Time
3. Safety

Over the years, racing costs have increased, time available to participate as decreased, and the sport in general has become less safe.

And you wonder why racing is going down.....

You need to work on at least two of those three issues to bring families back to racing. The time aspect is more social because kids have access to so many things. Tracks are far away, kids today get out from school later then they did 20 years ago.

So focus on cost and safety if you want to make a difference.
TXDirt
8/23/2017 7:01am
hititpind wrote:
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a...
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a week. Now that I'm 26, I ride once every couple months, if that. For me, here is why:

- No tracks within 2hrs from me (all of them got shut down for noise, endangered species, high cost)
- Every single one of my friends sold there bikes because they are too dangerous (got married, wife said sell it)

As far as the pro series goes, I used to be 100% fan of motocross. Now, I would prefer to watch supercross. The coverage with the AMA motocross is terrible. It's not exciting. Blurry 100% of the time. Commenting is boring.

With supercross, I'd rather watch it on TV than go to it. The cost to attend a race is ridiculous.

It sucks that if you want to do anything fun, you have to spend your entire savings to do it.

Just my opinion.
We posted the exact same thing. Your situation is perfect example of what I described is the problem! We even posted the exact three problems in the exact same order!!

+1
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/23/2017 7:10am
hititpind wrote:
When I was 14-21 years old I used to race every single weekend, either local circuits, or state circuits. I would also ride 2-3 times a...

Just my opinion.
Are yo watching the motocross stream or mavtv? I think most people dont have the same thoughts on the outdoor coverage. Cant argue with the rest of your points though.
hititpind
8/23/2017 7:40am
TXDirt wrote:
We posted the exact same thing. Your situation is perfect example of what I described is the problem! We even posted the exact three problems in...
We posted the exact same thing. Your situation is perfect example of what I described is the problem! We even posted the exact three problems in the exact same order!!

+1
Identical responses! Haha!! That's gnarly !! I actually thought it was just a Utah problem, but after your answer I realize it's a general issue.
hititpind
8/23/2017 7:42am
early wrote:
Are yo watching the motocross stream or mavtv? I think most people dont have the same thoughts on the outdoor coverage. Cant argue with the rest...
Are yo watching the motocross stream or mavtv? I think most people dont have the same thoughts on the outdoor coverage. Cant argue with the rest of your points though.
MAVTV 1st Motos, NBCSHD 2nd Motos. (Direct TV) Neither come in HD.

line-up
8/23/2017 8:28am
steed 2.0 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/23/211104/s1200_IMG_3068.jpg[/img]

Middle class is shrinking everywhere, salaries have not been going up at the same speed.
BSFL
8/23/2017 8:36am
Like I said in my last post. Its all cost for me. I did a quick break down of the cost for a year of racing for my family. Myself and my two boys 9 and 12 yrs of age. Racing on average once a month at local tracks around Texas. No big amateur nationals.

Yearly break down:

Bikes 4500 (My 250 8k, and two minis 10k divided by 4 years = 4500/year)
Parts 2000
Maint. 1000
Misc. 1000
Gear 2500
Travel 1000
Entry/Race 3600

Total: $15,600 a year

Add another 10k+ if we hit some of the big amateur races like LL, Mini O's, JS7 spring championship, etc

That kind of money might not be a big deal to some but to a family on a single income of 100k/year its not easy. My kids would race if we could afford it. No pussies in my house. Both my kids are wrestlers and thrive on the toughest challenges. They bust their asses 3 days a week practicing and put the work in to possibly be a state champ or collegiate wrestlers. My point is, it's a sport I got them into because it was the least expensive and the closet thing to racing motocross competitively.
gharmon
8/23/2017 9:18am
Rockinar wrote:
$8500 - $10,000 for a new bike, Extremely high chance you will end up in an ER in really bad shape, and pretty decent chance you...
$8500 - $10,000 for a new bike, Extremely high chance you will end up in an ER in really bad shape, and pretty decent chance you might get paralyzed or killed. Beginner classes full of non beginners.

If you have 3 kids, you costs and odds just quadrupled.

GNCC offroad is where its at. 2 strokes are still alive in it and you will see all kinds of bikes of all types. Slight lower cost and maintenance, lower chance of serious injury and death on trails, more family friendly (IMO).
And if you're the dad/financier/transporter/maintainer of said scenario life really sucks. 60+ hour a week working to pay for it then anther 10-15 a week doing all the above. Life gets hard but I've never went to the track and though I should have stayed home even if I was dreading it before we left. Tough price to pay.. lol
8/23/2017 9:35am
Those that think MX is too expensive...what about it is expensive?

Technically speaking all of us could take a $1400 RM125, $10 in pump fuel, $400 in oneal gear in the back of a $1000 S10/Ranger to the track...but very few of us do that.

BobPA
8/23/2017 9:35am
Lots of Debbie Downers in this thread. If someone truly wants to ride and/or race, they will find a way. Cancel your giant cable package and do not go to the bar or out to eat....You would be amazed at how much is saved.
FOSSILMOTO
8/23/2017 9:38am
Using the inflation calculator ..a new 1975 CR125m1 cost my Dad $450, so in 2017 a new 2 stroke MX bike should
be $2,047.47. 8k for a toy that can get you maimed is nuts.
captmoto
8/23/2017 9:42am
It's funny that people are not liking track with SX features yet when REM asked for input on track changes there were lots of people wanting........more jumps. Must be an older crowd responding in this thread.
BSFL
8/23/2017 9:49am
BobPA wrote:
Lots of Debbie Downers in this thread. If someone truly wants to ride and/or race, they will find a way. Cancel your giant cable package and...
Lots of Debbie Downers in this thread. If someone truly wants to ride and/or race, they will find a way. Cancel your giant cable package and do not go to the bar or out to eat....You would be amazed at how much is saved.
Guess I'm a Debbie downer then. Personally speaking I was talking more about racing than casual riding. Myself and my boys ride when we can. We just cannot afford to race competitively like we would like to because of the costs. Plain and simple.
8/23/2017 10:05am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 10:07am
captmoto wrote:
It's funny that people are not liking track with SX features yet when REM asked for input on track changes there were lots of people wanting........more...
It's funny that people are not liking track with SX features yet when REM asked for input on track changes there were lots of people wanting........more jumps. Must be an older crowd responding in this thread.
There is a tamed down SX track at Milestone MX and it is by far my favorite track to ride there. The on/off rhythm sections, doubles and whoops are really fun to ride. Don't really have to get out of 2nd gear on a 450. The track stays relatively smooth I think because not many riders go on it this time of year. I'll be bummed once they close it to the public and make it for pros only again.
pilotdude
8/23/2017 10:25am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 10:27am
4rings wrote:
The whole Feld/SX thing is messed up. Attending the race isn't cheap but the riders don't get paid much.... Feld is pocketing all that money after...
The whole Feld/SX thing is messed up. Attending the race isn't cheap but the riders don't get paid much.... Feld is pocketing all that money after they pay Ralph for 4 hours of shouting and interruptions. Not to mention Feld/fox control all the footage, I understand fox pays for the broadcasting rights, but dam at least let the riders post a brief helmet cam video or an interview from behind the scenes. Also there's no need to waste money on a monster thot who nervously talks about social media hashtags.

Motocross is good, imo. Jenny Taft would be a nice addition. But the thing killing motocross is them blocking all of the fucking viewing areas at the tracks. At Budds creek alot of the best viewing spots near the track were blocked off for WPS hospitality, or similar dealer invited guests suites. They were damn near empty! the folks in there were watching the race on TV if they were even watching. total bullshit. I ended up jumping over a fence to watch the 2nd motos.
Washougal cut out the iconic Chuck Sun jump, Catcher's Mitt corner, and Leach's Lump in 2007, which was the absolute heart of the track right in the middle of the fans. Those were replaced by VIP viewing tents and vendors selling coffee, kettle korn, and Chinese food. Also, in my opinion, changing the Nationals from a 2 day format to a 1 day format for the convenience of the riders and teams was a mistake. The events feel less like an "event" then they used to.

As bike prices continue to rise, fewer people will buy them, resulting in less of everything else. As tracks and riding areas close and also raise prices, there are fewer places to ride and the ones that remain are more expensive.

In my opinion:

Abandoning beloved traditions that people loved for more $$ + higher bike prices + few places to ride = A dying sport
RangerLee
8/23/2017 11:01am
steed 2.0 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/23/211104/s1200_IMG_3068.jpg[/img]

line-up wrote:
Middle class is shrinking everywhere, salaries have not been going up at the same speed.
I was about to say the same thing, so I will just reinforce. Inflation has went up alot, but not average salaries.

Add in the risk since the tracks get more gnarly and at some point the cost is not worth the risk. Being out of work due to injury is not a small factor.

For your average joes, they will not be doing Pro level racing, so having jumps where you have to be perfect every time is a crazy risk.

Casual riding with the family is what I look forward to now, my kids are very good in varsity sports at this point so I do not risk them in MX where my son will miss a wrestling season or my daughter field hockey.

I do really look forward to getting an electric bike and overall I hope they are here to stay.
hititpind
8/23/2017 11:02am
BobPA wrote:
Lots of Debbie Downers in this thread. If someone truly wants to ride and/or race, they will find a way. Cancel your giant cable package and...
So sacrifice everything so you can ride on the weekends? That's your answer? Proves my point

I don't have that fancy tv package or do I rarely eat out. No matter where you cut costs to save, it's still a bummer that it's so expensive.
BobPA
8/23/2017 2:42pm
BobPA wrote:
hititpind wrote:
So sacrifice everything so you can ride on the weekends? That's your answer? Proves my point I don't have that fancy tv package or do I...
So sacrifice everything so you can ride on the weekends? That's your answer? Proves my point

I don't have that fancy tv package or do I rarely eat out. No matter where you cut costs to save, it's still a bummer that it's so expensive.
While I agree that it is expensive, it is relatively cheap compared to other motorsports.

I am talking more along the lines of supporting your personal racing habit. Supporting a whole family of rugrats while racing is a game only to be played by Bill Gates and associates. For me to race on a weekend is not really that bad.

Lets break it down,
Basic Moto day with my lady friend

40 miles of travel each way for a total of 80 miles, my truck averages 18.5 MPG, that is 4.3 gallons @ say $2.50/gallon =10.8 or $11 for fuel
$10 a head to get in $20
$35 for the first class and $30 for the next is pretty standard around here. $75
2 gallons of fuel in bike, max $6
Case of water $3
5 or so big Gatorades $5
Food $20 on the highest end. burgers and sandwiches are cheap
$30 for broken parts (could be more or less)

That is $170 total, not bad considering that $170 will not even get you a right rear tire for a dirt track car.

Obviously I am not taking bike and truck cost into consideration, but it is still wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper than anything with an engine.

gt80rider
8/23/2017 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 3:43pm
steed 2.0 wrote:

What bike cost 2k in 76? Your numbers are wayyyy off
captmoto
8/23/2017 4:06pm
gt80rider wrote:
What bike cost 2k in 76? Your numbers are wayyyy off
Yeah, I paid $1100 out the door for a 78 RM250 C2 and 1300 for a YZ250 in 80. I got $3861 for a YZ250 in 2017 dollars. The inflation calculator doesn't take the yen vs. dollar changes over 37 years.
8/23/2017 4:24pm
I have three young boys, 6, 9 and 12.

I offered them they could have mini bikes instead of Ipad / xbox, the two youngest said no and the oldest didnt even bother to answer me.

The Trampoline is still the No1 toy they use it every day it is not raining, even then they would if i let them.

8/23/2017 5:00pm
Sorry that this is a little bit off topic, but for someone that lives in Australia what are my best options into watching/streaming the gncc series?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/23/2017 5:43pm
I have three young boys, 6, 9 and 12. I offered them they could have mini bikes instead of Ipad / xbox, the two youngest said...
I have three young boys, 6, 9 and 12.

I offered them they could have mini bikes instead of Ipad / xbox, the two youngest said no and the oldest didnt even bother to answer me.

The Trampoline is still the No1 toy they use it every day it is not raining, even then they would if i let them.

That is depressing...
wfo4ever
8/23/2017 8:04pm
hititpind wrote:

Just my opinion.
I agree with you totally. I am 55 years old and everyone I know young and old have quit riding. I never even see a dirt bike in the back of a truck where I live in the mountains of NC anymore. The motorcycle dealerships around here are all "For Sale" and have been for quite a while. The dealers do not even stock but only a few new dirt bikes because they are hard to sell and they do not make barely any profit when they finally do sell them. The dealers are not even interested in trades or buying used dirt bikes. They also do not stock any riding gear or parts for dirt bikes. I buy my stuff all on line because it is cheaper and I can get if faster. There are only 3 dealers left in my area when there used to be 10 dealers within 50 miles. I have a 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought used in 2005. It had only been rode twice, and I only paid about 1/3 of what it cost new. The seller got hurt riding it at a motocross track, it happened over a big double jump. The bike was not damaged at all, and it was just like new. I ride it on my own property (trails) and have a great time on that YZ125. It has been very reliable. New bike prices are way too expensive. I am very happy with my 12 year old 2 Stroke 125 and it is all I need. The closest tracks or public riding areas are 2-3 hours away. All the tracks near me have huge jumps and the C riders (sand baggers) are all throwing huge whips over them. It costs around $30.00 to ride four 15 minute practice sessions. The tracks that are still open have terrible rider turn out for practice and even worse for racing. Most races are multiple classes grouped together. These remaining tracks are likely to be closed in the near future, as the owners are loosing money. I used to go to see the AMA Pro SX and MX races all the time, I quit going because it is too expensive. Last race I went to was the Atlanta SX in 2008, it cost me a small fortune for the tickets, shirts, beer and snacks. We only saw about 90 minutes of racing, with the top factory riders only racing for about 30 minutes of that time, it was a total rip off. Watching the AMA Nationals is a very big pain in the ass, 2-3 channels sometimes in a day, or maybe two and yes the picture quality sucks unless it is on NBC. That is if NBC even shows it, last week I had football instead. I am cancelling MAVTV and NBC sports channel after this weeks race. It is not worth it to pay the extra money to DirecTV and I will not pay for NBC Gold. I will catch it on Youtube if possible. Plus to watch follow the leader racing and whoever gets a good start win is very boring. I will continue to watch SX on Fox as it is part of my basic DirecTV package. Last but not least is MX, SX and even trail riding is going to die because of a severe lack of new riders and no where to ride. Kids would rather have the latest electronic device than a dirt bike these days. The best advice I can give is do not buy a motorcycle track or dealership unless you like loosing money. Also I can afford to buy new bikes, gear, and go to races. I have money, I just prefer to spend it wisely and I really hate getting ripped off. This is just my opinion.
mark911
8/23/2017 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 10:47pm
captmoto wrote:
It's funny that people are not liking track with SX features yet when REM asked for input on track changes there were lots of people wanting........more...
I'm curious, how did REM collect the data? Was it done anonymously or just part of the riders meeting?

Post a reply to: Pulp MX comments right now- is MX croaking?

The Latest