Pulp MX Listeners.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2021 12:57 PM

I tune in randomly when it’s live on YouTube every few weeks if I remember, but I’ve only started listening this year. Can someone who’s a long time listener tell me how often the episodes are as good as this week? Hearing DV give Ricky shit and then absolutely going in on the new trackside reporter from NASCAR has been hilarious.

Is this just a DV thing or is the show this good all the time?

|

3/18/2021 12:59 PM

I have been listening since the beginning and almost all the shows are good. Never really had a stinker- maybe one with B level guests or something, but it's consistently good.
The classic ones in the archive with people like RJ, Dymond, Hannah etc. are Gold.

|

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” ― Ernest Hemingway

3/18/2021 1:00 PM

You got eggs?

|

3/18/2021 1:00 PM

DV is one the better guest host for sure!!! It's been a while since he'd been on so it was even better!

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

3/18/2021 1:02 PM

I'm going to take heat for this.....but I can only take so much of Matthes. I regularly tune in for the race recaps with Matthes, Weege and JT.

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in Valencia during the 80's.

3/18/2021 1:16 PM

He's a little full of himself sometimes and has some takes I don't agree with but I still listen to him weekly. But he gives a lot back to the sport and gives a lot of riders platforms they wouldn't normally have.

|

3/18/2021 1:19 PM

Caffeine & Gasoline wrote:

I tune in randomly when it’s live on YouTube every few weeks if I remember, but I’ve only started listening this year. Can ...more

I agree with you, I don't get to listen often, let alone to all of them, but this week's debate between DV12 and Rutledge was both hilarious and painful, and the DV12 and RC "GOAT" conversation was hilarious, and how can you not like Hunter Lawrence? That's as far as I've gotten but I agree, this week's show was exceptional.

DC
Racer X

|

3/18/2021 1:21 PM

Also, look up the LazerGate episode. Classic DV and Tony Alessi.

|

3/18/2021 1:21 PM

I've heard pretty much every episode. I'm a big fan. Wish Matthes would stay away from politics, I think he turns some people off with his opinions otherwise I love Pulp
Best shows- Must listen are Lazergate and show 400

|

3/18/2021 1:23 PM

It really depends on how drunk Weimer and RV are, or if Steve is trying to get fellow media and sponsors to bury the hatchet lol!!

Sorry, some inside jokes. I enjoy most of the shows, but the right co-hosts really make some of the shows stand out. Keefer and Steve have a great dynamic, Blair is really great in studio, and of course DV.

|

3/18/2021 1:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2021 1:37 PM

I've been a regular since the early days, 2011ish. You can go back through the archives via Apple podcasts or via the Pulp website and there is a LOT of gold in there. Skip the Paul Lindsay era, but some of the stuff with Watson was good but near the end Kenny was not really interested and it showed.

Vital's own David Pingree has some appearances as host, it's really too bad he and Steve fell out. Honestly though, some of the hardest I have ever laughed is on the Ping episodes. Him imitating Blake Baggett doing podium interviews with his mouthguard in, I'm starting to laugh right now just remembering it. Again, a real shame that Steve and David fell into beef.

Other great co-hosts, call me partial but I've always like when Ryan Gauld and Ryan Lockhart have been on together, it's a Canadian thing. DV is of course legendary, but there's a couple of clankers over the years where for whatever reason DV has maybe not been as into it. But when he's engaged like last night he's awesome. There's even a few episodes with Mike Mason as a host circa 2013 and 2014 and he was good too.

The episodes where Weigandt is in studio, or JT is in studio are also really good. Those guys with Steve, they just have such a great chemistry and when they are physically in the same place it's even better.

Keefer is also really good but he's getting marginalized now (inside joke).

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

3/18/2021 1:41 PM

Became a Vuillemin fan long after he retired. Just says it like it is, but backs it up with careful thought and awareness.

A lot of that “mic” or message, Pulp was the vehicle. True for many other icons or privateers in the sport too.

Really enjoyed DV’s and Steve’s exchange on bike builds later in the show. “Grips and Graphics” 😂

|

3/18/2021 1:50 PM

JT is a natural story teller, probably one of the best. The stories he told on some of the early shows are unbelievable.

I’ve probably listen to 95% of the pulpmx shows over the last 10 years.

The only ones that aren’t great are the later Kenny Watson shows..

|

3/18/2021 2:13 PM

A great show is #404 when they raced the World Vets at Glen Helen. The whole show is basically recapping a weekend of racing amongst riding buddies. Reminds me of all the banter my racing buddies and I would have driving 2 hours home in a pickup after a race, super funny and just screams MX.

|

3/18/2021 2:16 PM

DV is fucking Legend. Wood got slaughtered, maybe harshly, but it was damn funny.

|

3/18/2021 2:17 PM

DV going off on Rutledge was hard lol. I just hate awkwardness. He wasn’t wrong though but probably could have been nicer about it haha.

But yea it’s tough when it’s a niche sport. The core fans which is basically everyone who watches, will never be happy with the broadcast.

It’s hard for it to go mainstream because outsiders get eaten alive. But yea, maybe they can take some things from PBR like mentioned and hopefully get bigger and bring more sponsor money in.

|

3/18/2021 2:18 PM

Really good show, not too great.

|

Mantis Toboggan, M.D

3/19/2021 12:39 PM

I've listened to almost every episode. The show has really come along way over the years and it's definitely one of my favorite podcasts and sources of information.

Some guests are better than others, but I really enjoy the episodes when the guests are good story tellers and/or the guest can have constructive debates and arguments about the weekly topics. The guys are so knowledgeable and have so much history with the sport that we end up getting treated to some really awesome behind the scenes information and stories.

Some of the worse shows in history are induced by Steve. Can't really pinpoint it, but it just seems like occasionally he gets so sensitive about everything and all he wants to do is piss and moan about everything. There's been many shows where he has a guest talking about a relatively interesting topic but all he wants to do is butt in and interrupt the flow every 30 seconds with some non-related, trivial tidbit. Seems like there's many times where he just needs to STFU and let his guests and co-host talk and get their full point out before he interrupts them with some snarky comment.

|

3/19/2021 12:45 PM

It's DV. I mean the show is always decent. But DV is great.

|

3/19/2021 12:49 PM

kage173 wrote:

It's DV. I mean the show is always decent. But DV is great.

Great radio, bro.

|

3/19/2021 12:53 PM

Also all the shows with Jim Holley are legendary!

|

3/19/2021 1:02 PM

Poto getting drunk...

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

3/19/2021 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2021 1:10 PM

Moto Nomad wrote:

I have been listening since the beginning and almost all the shows are good. Never really had a stinker- maybe one with B ...more

The stinkers are when he goes e-bike for an hour. But, it's easy to skip those parts.

|

3/19/2021 1:24 PM

The shows that are usually pretty boring is when that kellen dude is on, but even then it’s watchable. Or listenable? Lol It’s always good when keefer is in studio, JT adds to the show a lot

|

3/19/2021 1:38 PM

The episode after the vet nationals back in 2019 is an all time great imo.

|

3/19/2021 4:19 PM

|

3/19/2021 4:20 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

I've been a regular since the early days, 2011ish. You can go back through the archives via Apple podcasts or via the Pulp ...more

The best one with gauld was the carni story. Holy shit what a downward spiral that was

|

3/19/2021 4:39 PM

xrmark wrote:

The shows that are usually pretty boring is when that kellen dude is on, but even then it’s watchable. Or listenable? Lol It’s ...more

Kellen is about the only one that if he’s by himself with Steve I can only listen to the interviews with the guests. He talks way too much

|

3/19/2021 4:41 PM

I miss the old days listening in chat, there was a pretty regular group of 20-30 of us having a good time.

|

3/19/2021 4:45 PM

DV is absolute gold.

|