Protective gear

Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 6:39am
Mx gear is good protection. Boots, knee braces, body armour. Can it be better? Leather is good for high impact. It wouldn’t have helped Doug Henry failing from a great height, but some spinal/intestinal injuries could be prevented. Mx requires lots of flexible movement. But can protective gear be better? A foot peg to the the abdomen can be fatal. Motocross is the best sport, but it has fatalities. Is there some better alternative?
|
kb228
6/15/2019 2:37am
Armor doesnt give the flexibility required for moto. Id love to see D30 inserts of some sorts at some point. Even if its just back and shoulders
6/15/2019 5:05am
We have to start with a goggle rule like MXGP and required chest protector. If we cant get our pro's and mx culture to accept those two things as *important* there will be no change.

Its just your eyes and internal organs, what could go wrong? Send it!
Jt$
6/15/2019 5:16am
I think you will see some pretty big innovation in the coming years. The challenges are keeping mobility, weight minimization, etc. Technology is improving quickly, though.
kkawboy14
6/15/2019 5:21am
Mx gear is good protection. Boots, knee braces, body armour. Can it be better? Leather is good for high impact. It wouldn’t have helped Doug Henry...
Mx gear is good protection. Boots, knee braces, body armour. Can it be better? Leather is good for high impact. It wouldn’t have helped Doug Henry failing from a great height, but some spinal/intestinal injuries could be prevented. Mx requires lots of flexible movement. But can protective gear be better? A foot peg to the the abdomen can be fatal. Motocross is the best sport, but it has fatalities. Is there some better alternative?
Join Cheerleading.....it’s more dangerous than mx

The Shop

6/15/2019 5:26am
We have to start with a goggle rule like MXGP and required chest protector. If we cant get our pro's and mx culture to accept those...
We have to start with a goggle rule like MXGP and required chest protector. If we cant get our pro's and mx culture to accept those two things as *important* there will be no change.

I went stomach first into a waist-hight fence a couple weeks ago after my rear brake line failed and I'm telling you, anyone not wearing a chest protector is a fool!
agn5009
6/15/2019 6:04am
Mx gear is good protection. Boots, knee braces, body armour. Can it be better? Leather is good for high impact. It wouldn’t have helped Doug Henry...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Join Cheerleading.....it’s more dangerous than mx

reded
6/15/2019 6:23am
We have to start with a goggle rule like MXGP and required chest protector. If we cant get our pro's and mx culture to accept those...

EnvyMedia wrote:
I went stomach first into a waist-hight fence a couple weeks ago after my rear brake line failed and I'm telling you, anyone not wearing a...
I went stomach first into a waist-hight fence a couple weeks ago after my rear brake line failed and I'm telling you, anyone not wearing a chest protector is a fool!
I agree. Mine has the netting in the shoulders and I’ve had two separate incidents where I could feel the netting slow down the impact instead of driving my shoulder directly into the dirt.
419250f
6/15/2019 6:53am
I notice no restriction with the Alpinestars A10, love it.
6/15/2019 6:54am
I'd really like to see an airbag system brought into motocross, much like the Dianese D-Air system used in MotoGP. Initially it was a track-only product but they have recently branched out to cover road use as well as skiing.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/corporate/d-air/system/

For motocross the system would have to be designed to be minimally restrictive in movement, only have a small weight penalty over wearing traditional body armor, and it would need to be able to deflate quickly after a crash so that a rider can continue riding after going down.
BRAAAAAAP
6/15/2019 7:36am
kb228 wrote:
Armor doesnt give the flexibility required for moto. Id love to see D30 inserts of some sorts at some point. Even if its just back and...
Armor doesnt give the flexibility required for moto. Id love to see D30 inserts of some sorts at some point. Even if its just back and shoulders
Scott makes body armour, knee guards and elbow guards with D3O. Very flexible stuff when riding. When you hit it hard the material hardens and distributes the impact.
Spooner
6/15/2019 7:37am
I'd really like to see an airbag system brought into motocross, much like the Dianese D-Air system used in MotoGP. Initially it was a track-only product...
I'd really like to see an airbag system brought into motocross, much like the Dianese D-Air system used in MotoGP. Initially it was a track-only product but they have recently branched out to cover road use as well as skiing.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/corporate/d-air/system/

For motocross the system would have to be designed to be minimally restrictive in movement, only have a small weight penalty over wearing traditional body armor, and it would need to be able to deflate quickly after a crash so that a rider can continue riding after going down.
Alpinestars is already doing it with the Dakar guys and the production system is coming.

Post a reply to: Protective gear

The Latest