Pros who live/have lived in Los Angeles?

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/20/2018 3:12pm
mx_563 wrote:
Gosselaar brothers from up in Juniper Hills...if I'm not mistaken.

This is the ultimate name dropper thread...ha ha!
Lol yes they are. Those kids were crazy! I remember riding with Drew at a friends private track on 85's. Thought I was going fast until Drew passed me over a double while throwing a whip and then disappeared haha.

Haha it really is! I'll admit I'm stoked and blessed to know, have known and met the people I have in the industry. I'm sure that some people get tired of it from me, but I'm stoked on it.
tireguy111
9/20/2018 4:10pm
Danny Laporte was from Torrance. Roger lived in a townhome complex called the Gardens in San Pedro before he moved up to Palos Verdes. Honda mechanic Cliff White lived in a San Pedro neighborhood called South Shores.
9/20/2018 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 6:29pm
The valley and the Imperial Empire are to Los Angeles what Pahrump is to Las Vegas. Shit holes surrounding a shit hole. Those with money and half a brain live in Orange County.

The Shop

mx295
9/20/2018 7:27pm
langhammx wrote:
All from Santa Clarita/ Acton Mouse McCoy Erik Kehoe Casey Lytle Shane Trittler Flying Mike Brown Sean Collier Bobby Moore Kenny Zahrt Eddie Cole JN Roberts...
All from Santa Clarita/ Acton

Mouse McCoy
Erik Kehoe
Casey Lytle
Shane Trittler
Flying Mike Brown
Sean Collier
Bobby Moore
Kenny Zahrt
Eddie Cole
JN Roberts
Willie Surratt
Donnie Hansen
Johnny O’Mara
Mike Kiedrowski
Damon Huffman
John Whelchel
Russ Wageman
Joey Savatgy
Kyle Cunningham
Justin Hoeft

Lancaster/ Palmdale-

Bob Hannah
Kyle Lewis
Eddie Hicks
AJ Whiting
Chris Gosselaar
Darryl Ecklund
Kurt Caselli
You forgot Tony S.?
SwingHard
9/20/2018 7:47pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Damon Huffman lived up near my area in Saugus. Mike K was from here as well. Head up the 14 towards the Antelope Valley and you...
Damon Huffman lived up near my area in Saugus.
Mike K was from here as well. Head up the 14 towards the Antelope Valley and you will still see part of his SX track before hitting Acton.
Sean Collier is from here also.
I know I'm missing some. And a bunch of fast am's from here too. LanghamMx's kid Tanner as well as Tyler Sjoberg.
Baggett came up here to Castaic a few times to ride Sjoberg's SX track.
Russ Wageman, Jim Holley and Rob Healy are all from the San Fernando Valley.
Justin Hoeft is from Castaic.
Carson Mumford is from Simi Valley.
Shane Smith is from SCV

There are way more, but I can't remember them right now

Edit: Chris Plouffe is from Castaic
Shane Trittler
mx_563 wrote:
Can you see Mike K's old track via google street view? Where was it at? I'm dating myself but here goes nothin... I believe Don Emler...
Can you see Mike K's old track via google street view? Where was it at?

I'm dating myself but here goes nothin...

I believe Don Emler Sr lives somewhere on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and I heard that DeCoster used to live there back in the Honda days too.

When JMB raced in the US he lived in Redondo Beach.

Larry Brooks is from Pasadena I think.

Johnny O'Mara used to live in Simi Valley

Jim Holley is still in Chatsworth I believe.

I think Kehoe is somewhere in the Santa Clarita Valley these days but I think he was originally from the San Fernando Valley (could be wrong on that one).

Andy Jefferson used to race Ascot all the time so I assume he was a local LA dude.

Cole Seely is from Newbury Park I think.

The Alessis used to live in Moorpark I think, before they moved to the High Dez.

Correct me if I'm wrong people...
I think you're spot on with your list. I lived very close to Larry Brooks, real close to South Pasadena / Alhambra area. We rode alot at a place called Collis ave/ Elephant Hills. I believe RacerX did a small story on the place a few years back.
TG130
9/20/2018 9:25pm
Jim Tarantino, multi time national champion of South Africa was from LA.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/20/2018 9:36pm
The valley and the Imperial Empire are to Los Angeles what Pahrump is to Las Vegas. Shit holes surrounding a shit hole. Those with money and...
The valley and the Imperial Empire are to Los Angeles what Pahrump is to Las Vegas. Shit holes surrounding a shit hole. Those with money and half a brain live in Orange County.
No, the smart ones live outside of all those areas and stay away from all of the God forsaken traffic that is in LA, Riverside and Orange County. Besides, do you know how much it costs to live in OC now? Better make sure you’re making over $120k a year.
9/20/2018 11:03pm
The valley and the Imperial Empire are to Los Angeles what Pahrump is to Las Vegas. Shit holes surrounding a shit hole. Those with money and...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, the smart ones live outside of all those areas and stay away from all of the God forsaken traffic that is in LA, Riverside and...
No, the smart ones live outside of all those areas and stay away from all of the God forsaken traffic that is in LA, Riverside and Orange County. Besides, do you know how much it costs to live in OC now? Better make sure you’re making over $120k a year.
$120k/year isn’t even close to what you need to live decent in OC.
Winter86
9/20/2018 11:17pm
I lived in Irvine two years ago and now Newport Beach. I drive out to milestone mx and surrounding tracks about 4 days a week.. sometimes more. Orange County is definitely a straight shot to all the tracks if you don’t want to live on the moon. Though if I’m not mistaken doesn’t Anderson live SD and drive a bit to ride. I know reed has spent a bit of time out here in the OC / Newport and Seely as well, but LA ..? Good question.. hmm
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/21/2018 6:23am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No, the smart ones live outside of all those areas and stay away from all of the God forsaken traffic that is in LA, Riverside and...
109 wrote:
That was more of an estimate for a single person living alone with no car payment or credit card debt in the cheapest place in OC haha
brocster
9/21/2018 6:32am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
109 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That was more of an estimate for a single person living alone with no car payment or credit card debt in the cheapest place in OC...
That was more of an estimate for a single person living alone with no car payment or credit card debt in the cheapest place in OC haha
Fake news
mx_563
9/21/2018 6:44am
SwingHard wrote:
I think you're spot on with your list. I lived very close to Larry Brooks, real close to South Pasadena / Alhambra area. We rode alot...
I think you're spot on with your list. I lived very close to Larry Brooks, real close to South Pasadena / Alhambra area. We rode alot at a place called Collis ave/ Elephant Hills. I believe RacerX did a small story on the place a few years back.
My friend used to live in Highland Park. We were poor kids with hand-me-down banana seat bikes in the 80s (long after banana seats went out of style). For us, owning a dirt bike at the time was about as likely as flying to space. We pedaled over to Elephant Hill to hit some "sweet jumps". We were probably about 11 or 12 years old, this was mid-80s. I was so blown away by the place. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone riding dirt bikes on that day.

I remember that article in RacerX. I think I scanned it and have it someplace.

One of the greatest tragedies of modern times is the disappearance of those little oasis type places where kids could go and dream. I guess tablets and cell phones are the modern version. Sad.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/21/2018 7:22am
109 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
That was more of an estimate for a single person living alone with no car payment or credit card debt in the cheapest place in OC...
brocster wrote:
Fake news
There's some sarcasm in there
SwingHard
9/21/2018 8:36am
SwingHard wrote:
I think you're spot on with your list. I lived very close to Larry Brooks, real close to South Pasadena / Alhambra area. We rode alot...
mx_563 wrote:
My friend used to live in Highland Park. We were poor kids with hand-me-down banana seat bikes in the 80s (long after banana seats went out...
My friend used to live in Highland Park. We were poor kids with hand-me-down banana seat bikes in the 80s (long after banana seats went out of style). For us, owning a dirt bike at the time was about as likely as flying to space. We pedaled over to Elephant Hill to hit some "sweet jumps". We were probably about 11 or 12 years old, this was mid-80s. I was so blown away by the place. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone riding dirt bikes on that day.

I remember that article in RacerX. I think I scanned it and have it someplace.

One of the greatest tragedies of modern times is the disappearance of those little oasis type places where kids could go and dream. I guess tablets and cell phones are the modern version. Sad.

Damn,really?!! I graduated from Franklin H.S. in Highland Park in 83'. Did you guys ever hit the hills behind Occidental college?
mx_563
9/21/2018 8:52am
SwingHard wrote:
Damn,really?!! I graduated from Franklin H.S. in Highland Park in 83'. Did you guys ever hit the hills behind Occidental college?
Naw. My family moved to NorCal while I was still in Elementary school.
My friend ended up going to Franklin for a few years and then his family moved to the San Fernando Valley. He was the classic 80s stoner - Levi's jacket, long hair, high tops, listening to Kill em' All non-stop, etc...ha ha! He would have graduated from Franklin in about 89' or so, had he finished up there. Apropos to this thread, he now lives in Santa Clarita.
Stephon
9/21/2018 9:56am
So, I've been living in Los Angeles since May and two days ago I drove down to Pala to shoot some photos. It's a long drive...
So, I've been living in Los Angeles since May and two days ago I drove down to Pala to shoot some photos. It's a long drive, and I was wondering on the way there if back in the big money days of moto there were any guys who bought a house in LA and chose to have that be their home base. Obviously, Temecula/Murrieta/Orange County are in closer proximity to the public tracks, test tracks, and they are great places to live. But there has to have been a top rider in the past that wanted to ball out and live in the Hollywood Hills.
"But there has to have been a top rider in the past that wanted to ball out and live in the Hollywood Hills."

Yeah, there probably has been a top rider that "wanted" to ball out and live in the Hollywood Hills...but I'm thinking it would quickly lead not being as much of a top rider.

My apartment is 3 blocks from the Hollywood Hills and getting to a place to ride 3-4 days a week seems quite daunting as part of a profession. I could certainly be wrong, but it seems really expensive and out of the way...That said, I did run into Travis Pastrana one night at work though...hmm.
SwingHard
9/21/2018 11:34am
SwingHard wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
Naw. My family moved to NorCal while I was still in Elementary school. My friend ended up going to Franklin for a few years and then...
Naw. My family moved to NorCal while I was still in Elementary school.
My friend ended up going to Franklin for a few years and then his family moved to the San Fernando Valley. He was the classic 80s stoner - Levi's jacket, long hair, high tops, listening to Kill em' All non-stop, etc...ha ha! He would have graduated from Franklin in about 89' or so, had he finished up there. Apropos to this thread, he now lives in Santa Clarita.
I also jumped ship out of L.A.,moved to Sacramento 28years ago.
bigmaico
9/21/2018 11:56am
Mike Bell Lived in Lakewood.

His cousin Jeff Jennings Lived in Norwalk.
Bry145
9/23/2018 7:52am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
brocster wrote:
Fake news
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There's some sarcasm in there
The real question to ask is what you need to make regarding net income. Gross income is an illusion, as a healthy chunk of the pie goes to income taxes.

That said, if one lives in a studio apartment and has a paid off vehicle, they can get away with not having a high income and still live in OC, or LA. One can even rent a room from someone with extra space. Being single with no kids doesn't require a ton of money to live a decent life, even in an expensive housing market.

Buy into status, materialism, a high-end wife, and some kiddos, and the bills add up in a hurry. Avoid all of that, and one can get by with a regular gig. When we die, everything stays here!

Post a reply to: Pros who live/have lived in Los Angeles?

The Latest