Pros not using neck braces

JB 19
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 4:37pm
This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile. There are a handful of top guys still not wearing neck braces. I have heard some debate that they cause broken collarbones....haven't been tested....yada yada. I'm just wondering why guys like Carmichael and Stewart still don't where them. (and I know RC is retired so don't be the jackass that points it out)

I sure hope it isn't about sponsorship money.....when I bought my Leatt I didn't really have 400$ extra dollars, but couldn't stand the thought of helping prevent myself from being in a chair.

|
MxDaD324
7/10/2009 11:40pm
i have wondered the same thing. I have read before that they have tried them but simply couldn't get comfortable with them on.
mxmaniac08
7/11/2009 4:49am
i have had a leatt and the alpinestar bionic brace, both are great after a few rides of getting them comfortable on you. I cant believe jake moss has stopped wearing his after such a big crash back home.
flarider
7/11/2009 5:08am
This the new repeat post?

Repost the same question week after week after week?

swizcore
7/11/2009 6:52am
I think the excuse of not being comfortable riding with one is weak, they are not noticeable unless your trying to have an issue with it.

The Shop

flarider
7/11/2009 7:03am
JB 19 wrote:
This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile. There are a handful of top guys still not wearing neck braces. I have heard...
This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile. There are a handful of top guys still not wearing neck braces. I have heard some debate that they cause broken collarbones....haven't been tested....yada yada. I'm just wondering why guys like Carmichael and Stewart still don't where them. (and I know RC is retired so don't be the jackass that points it out)

I sure hope it isn't about sponsorship money.....when I bought my Leatt I didn't really have 400$ extra dollars, but couldn't stand the thought of helping prevent myself from being in a chair.

You realize you kind of answered your own question within the question, right?

And no, it wasn't the part about sponsor money
Wandell
7/11/2009 8:07am
A lot of people ran them for a while then stopped using them. These include Tedesco, Tommy Hahn and Josh Grant.
raddad
7/11/2009 8:34am
flarider wrote:

rc4187 wrote:
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/why-no-neck-brace,539735

last post was 3 days ago. it's a semi-weekly question now.
Who takes the time to go back over and over and over old posts? People with no life perhaps? If the poster here and others like him keep asking the question its obvious its an important topic..You must remember that not all members here post daily weekly or even monthly and some of those posters have the best imput of all the regulars combined! Wink
JB 19
7/11/2009 9:28am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:51am
flarider wrote:

Well, you do have 17,000 posts in the last 15 months so I guess someone with such a pointless existence probably would know how many times the topic has been posted.

I know I won't ride without mine. My thinking is even if it hasn't been tested in a lab what could be worse than a neck injury? I would have a hard time believing that the neck brace could CAUSE a neck injury. I'll trade any other injury it may cause to lower the risk of a neck injury.

I went through this a few years ago with knee braces and figured the risk of a broken femur was too high of a trade to protect my knees.

7/11/2009 10:08am
Knee braces are not advised by all doctors, it weakens the muscles around your knees.
If you havent had a knee injury, you are better of not wearing them according to doctors.
brent26wood
7/11/2009 10:54am
They don't wear them because there is no science at all that shows they help.
flarider
7/11/2009 11:11am
brakkeman_ wrote:
Knee braces are not advised by all doctors, it weakens the muscles around your knees. If you havent had a knee injury, you are better of...
Knee braces are not advised by all doctors, it weakens the muscles around your knees.
If you havent had a knee injury, you are better of not wearing them according to doctors.
This is correct.
Knee braces are not preventative, but are post injury

and Brentwood is also correct as to why many aren't wearing one.

As for my post count, don't believe everything you see, and yes, my existence is pointless and meaningless.

If you like your Leatt-type brace, good for you. If it makes you feel safer, good for you. If you won't ride without it, good for you.

Thank God for freedom of choice, huh?
MX7MX
7/11/2009 11:51am
or maybe they simply just don't want to wear one?
BallsOut
7/11/2009 11:57am
Maybe they cannot come to a financial agreement with the neck brace companies.

I wouldn't wear a product without being compinsated for use it.
7/11/2009 12:17pm
honestly why does it matter its a personal choice, unless ur their mom dont try to dress them
burnside
7/11/2009 12:24pm
What's interesting is Mitch Payton doesn't endorse them. He talked about it on DMXS radio I think it was, how he had yet to be talk to a Leatt representative and was concerned the force will always break out somewhere else instead. Or something similar.
tomcat
7/11/2009 12:43pm
how did mitch end up in a chair?? i just broke my clavical while wearing my evs and looking at the amount of bruising on my neck and pectoral and taking into acount the wittness of the impact i would have to say the brace saved my ass (neck) Tomcat +40 AM six weeks from now rider peace out GOD BLESS
Cygnus
7/11/2009 1:13pm
RC is retired dummy.
BallsOut
7/11/2009 2:06pm
i beleive i read a rag that mentioned payton crashed on a motorcycle not sure if a street bike dirt bike or quad but he broke his back but dont hold me to it. anyone else?
flarider
7/11/2009 2:29pm
Mitch was a desert racer, crashed in the desert.
Not that it makes any difference, but good trivia, it was on a Husky and at the time PC was a Husky shop
BallsOut
7/11/2009 2:32pm
flarider wrote:
Mitch was a desert racer, crashed in the desert. Not that it makes any difference, but good trivia, it was on a Husky and at the...
Not that it makes any difference, but good trivia, it was on a Husky and at the time PC was a Husky shop
thanks bro.

bultokid
7/11/2009 3:03pm
flarider wrote:
Mitch was a desert racer, crashed in the desert. Not that it makes any difference, but good trivia, it was on a Husky and at the...
Anaheim Husqvarna rocked. I have some early 80's PC stuff for my '82 Husky 500 and '83 Husky 250. Mitch is the man !
Ashleymx
7/11/2009 4:26pm
brakkeman_ wrote:
Knee braces are not advised by all doctors, it weakens the muscles around your knees. If you havent had a knee injury, you are better of...
How can knee braces weeken the muscles?? lol they just sit on your leg doing nothing unless needed.
DrSweden
7/11/2009 4:40pm
brakkeman_ wrote:
flarider wrote:
This is correct. Knee braces are not preventative, but are post injury and Brentwood is also correct as to why many aren't wearing one. As for...
This is correct.
Knee braces are not preventative, but are post injury

and Brentwood is also correct as to why many aren't wearing one.

As for my post count, don't believe everything you see, and yes, my existence is pointless and meaningless.

If you like your Leatt-type brace, good for you. If it makes you feel safer, good for you. If you won't ride without it, good for you.

Thank God for freedom of choice, huh?
I'm pretty sure docs have different opinions in this matter, I'm also sure there are no stats proving any point adequately? What I'm sure is anyone suggesting "the truth" is a liar. My subjective view is that I'm seriously doubting an Asterix cell etc would NOT help out in preventing a knee injury. Ligaments gets damaged by twisting, and a cell helps in preventing some of that twisting which makes some sense in my book.

You people are of course free to not wearing any kind of brace, but I have been wearing Asterix Cells for years now, and I have newer twisted my knees or experienced any kind of pain. Probably because of my amazing talent, but I wouldn't gamble...
flarider
7/11/2009 4:47pm
brakkeman_ wrote:
Ashleymx wrote:
How can knee braces weeken the muscles?? lol they just sit on your leg doing nothing unless needed.
Because it keeps you from using them. They basically make your knees lazy, athletically
Most orthopedic physicians will tell you not to wear a brace until you need it. You're better off exercising and strengthening your knee muscles than relying on a brace.
Brace is for after you fuck it up.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/411.html

DrSweden
7/11/2009 4:49pm
JB 19 wrote:
Well, you do have 17,000 posts in the last 15 months so I guess someone with such a pointless existence probably would know how many times...
Well, you do have 17,000 posts in the last 15 months so I guess someone with such a pointless existence probably would know how many times the topic has been posted.

I know I won't ride without mine. My thinking is even if it hasn't been tested in a lab what could be worse than a neck injury? I would have a hard time believing that the neck brace could CAUSE a neck injury. I'll trade any other injury it may cause to lower the risk of a neck injury.

I went through this a few years ago with knee braces and figured the risk of a broken femur was too high of a trade to protect my knees.

Depending how much you damage your knee, and how the femour brake. Still a femur often heals up perfectly, while a knee damage many times don't. I worked as an orthopedian for a couple of months last year, and I newer experienced any problems with femurs, but I encountered tons of knee problems in injuries and post injuries. And who said you must brake the femur just because you get force on the leg?

No stats supporting this, but damaging a knee doesn't take as much energy as damaging the bodies larges bone.
flarider
7/11/2009 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:52am
http://www.purehealthmd.com/fitness/injury-/management/knee-braces.html
DEFEND YOUR KNEES
How effective are knee braces?

When watching a professional football game, you will see many players wearing knee braces. These are generally worn to protect the knees when they are hit from the side during the vast number of expected and unexpected collisions. In the past, knee braces were commonly worn throughout the rehabilitation process after surgery. Braces are also commonly worn in an attempt to reduce anterior knee pain, pain on the front of the knee or related to the kneecap. As with other types of braces, there is a wide range of types and costs. Generally speaking, the more custom a brace is and the harder material from which it is made, the greater the cost will be. As with all types of bracing, the question to ask is whether or not they are effective.
We must first explore the common uses. A common need for a knee brace is to prevent knee injuries. The data and clinical experience available indicates that using a knee brace with metal hinges on the sides may have a slight effect in reducing medial-sided (inside part of the knee) ligament injuries in college football players. The reduction is very small and not considered significant by medical research standards. These can not protect the interior ligaments (ACL or the PCL). Additionally, the player's position makes a difference. Linemen and tight ends receive the greatest amount of protection while skill players like quarterbacks, running backs and receivers actually had a slightly higher rate of injury while wearing the braces during games [1,2]. This tells us that the benefit of a brace for prevention is minimal. No other sports have shown any promise in the area of knee injury prevention with the use of knee braces.
ACL injuries usually occur as a result of twisting or forceful hyperextension of the knee with the foot planted. Because of the biomechanics of the knee and the fact that the brace is worn over immense layers of skin, fat and muscle, a brace cannot be effective in preventing ACL injuries. There is solid research indicating that training techniques can help reduce ACL injuries. The type of brace used for individuals with ACL injuries and after ACL reconstruction are those made of high-strength plastic or graphite, custom-made for the athlete. However, research has shown that using these types of braces, as well as the over-the-counter options, is not effective when used after surgery [3]. The bottom line is that for most athletes and the physically active, knee braces will not help you prevent a knee injury.
Anterior knee pain, or pain around the kneecap, is one of the most common types of knee injuries. This pain is not due to a ligament injury and does not result in the loss of stability in the knee. However, the pain is generally related to how normally the kneecap (patella) works. Therefore, poor initial alignment or poor movement (tracking) can cause pain. For people experiencing this type of pain, knee braces with straps designed to guide the patella movement can be effective when combined with other therapy [4]. It is the other factors addressed in therapy like leg flexibility, strength, motor control, footwear and activity alteration that will allow the knee to return to normal function. The knee brace can help reduce some of the painful symptoms while allowing for the therapy to be performed more effectively. The type of brace needed for this purpose can usually be ordered by a local physical therapist or orthopedic physician and costs anywhere from $50-$100.
Finally, an emerging use of knee braces is for the treatment of symptoms related to osteoarthritis of the knee. The theory is that the brace will pull on the bones above and below the knee to realign the leg. This realignment would then reduce the stress on areas of arthritis. Unfortunately, there has been no evidence that braces are effective in achieving realignment. There has been some mild improvement in pain. It is not known exactly why these people have decreased pain when using the brace, however, the effects do not appear to be permanent, nor do they slow the progression of arthritis [5,6].
Overall, the use of knee braces for prevention of knee injuries, assisting in rehabilitation or prolonging function has not been shown to be effective. However, there are individuals experiencing anterior knee pain or osteoarthritis for whom using a brace works to decrease symptoms. No matter what the cause or reason, we know that using knee braces is not the entire answer. Using a knee brace for symptom reduction is best combined with other treatments like therapy, exercise, dietary changes, body weight changes and activity alterations.

References:
1. Albright, JP., Powell, JW., Smith, W., Martindale, A., Crowley, E., Monroe, J., Miller, R., Connolly, J., Hill, BA., Miller, D., et al. (1994). Medial collateral ligament knee sprains in college football. Effectiveness of preventive braces. Amer. Journ. of Sports Med, 22(1):12-18.
2. Najibi, S., Albright, JP. (2005). The use of knee braces, part 1: Prophylactic knee braces in contact sports. Amer. Journ. of Sports Med, 33(4):602-11.
3. Birmingham, TB., Bryant, DM., Giffin, JR., Litchfield, RB., Kramer, JF., Donner, A., Fowler, PJ. (2008). A randomized controlled trial comparing the effectiveness of functional knee brace and neoprene sleeve use after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Amer. Journ. of Sports Med, 36(4):648-55.
4. Lun, VM., Wiley, JP., Meeuwisse, WH., Yanagawa, TL. (2006). Effectiveness of patellar bracing for treatment of patellofemoral pain syndrome. Clinic. Journ. of Sports Med, 16(6):530-1.
5. Brouwer, RW., van Raaij, TM., Verhaar, JA., Coene, LN., Bierma-Zeinstra, SM. (2006). Brace treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee: a prospective randomized multi-centre trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 14(8):777-83.
6. Ramsey, DK., Briem, K., Axe, MJ., Snyder-Macker, L. (2007). A mechanical theory for the effectiveness of bracing for medial compartment osteoarthritis of the knee. Journ. of Bone & Joint Surgery, 89(11):2398-407.
mosslander
7/11/2009 5:08pm
Well ! using knee braces for the neck isn't good either?
mxdad
7/11/2009 5:12pm
Can we please get another 6-7 threads going about this?

Guys if you race every weekend and practice everyday, go to the gym everyday, etc. you get a feel (that words can't describe) about saftey. 90% of pro mx is mental. If you don't feel invincable you are not going to win.
Give me a break. You are telling me you have never raced without a chest protector when you knew you had the holeshot and the win?
Wolfman
7/11/2009 5:28pm
When I rode expert I always rode much better and smoother when I didn't wear a chest protector. It was all in my head and I knew it, but it really made a difference. Never wore knee braces.

As a vet, I can hardly ride without a chest protector. Still don't wear knee braces though.

Post a reply to: Pros not using neck braces

The Latest