Props to MX Sports...

AmateurMX
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 10:00am
...or whomever is officiating the Nationals. Finally the "sanctioning body" is standing by their rule book.

Josh had a great ride in the second 450 moto and he gets total props for the on track win, but regardless of what side of the jump the red/yellow (no jump) flag was on, he still jumped. Mike, on the other hand, slowed way down and rolled it. Josh broke the rule, plain and simple.

And as for J-Law jumping the gate...it was another rule infraction. Regardless of whether or not he slowed down after he did it, he still did it and got punished for it. I seriously don't think his DQ has anything to do with how anybody personally feels about Jason, because to be honest most of the folks running the show like having him around. He definitely brings color to the show.

In the past the AMA has been too wishy-washy in the way they enforced their rules. It got to the point where no one would take them seriously, because every decision made at the track got overturned. Hopefully that never happens again.

For an organization to have any respectability they have to stick by their rules and decisions, no matter how unpopular the rule or decision is...or even how dumb a rule might be.

As it appears now, they are living by the rulebook. Hopefully, that continues.

Just my .02.

CH
|
teggers
5/31/2009 1:22am
Thankfully, MXSports has a track record for enforcing the rules.
cobra314
5/31/2009 5:27am
Maybe now they can get the flaggers to wave the correct flags. I'm all for them enforcing the rules, but having one yellow and one yellow/red was wrong. How do we know that Grant even saw the yellow/red flag that was being waved on the inside when he was to the outside where the plain yellow was being waved?
moto329
5/31/2009 5:50am
I definitely don't like the calls that were made, but I do have to agree with this. Good on them for sticking to their guns.

The Shop

72kiteboarder
5/31/2009 6:00am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2009 6:13am
So did they dock Grant a position or time? Never mind, I just one of the three other threads about this.
pilotdude
5/31/2009 6:28am
AmateurMX wrote:
...or whomever is officiating the Nationals. Finally the "sanctioning body" is standing by their rule book. Josh had a great ride in the second 450 moto...
...or whomever is officiating the Nationals. Finally the "sanctioning body" is standing by their rule book.

Josh had a great ride in the second 450 moto and he gets total props for the on track win, but regardless of what side of the jump the red/yellow (no jump) flag was on, he still jumped. Mike, on the other hand, slowed way down and rolled it. Josh broke the rule, plain and simple.

And as for J-Law jumping the gate...it was another rule infraction. Regardless of whether or not he slowed down after he did it, he still did it and got punished for it. I seriously don't think his DQ has anything to do with how anybody personally feels about Jason, because to be honest most of the folks running the show like having him around. He definitely brings color to the show.

In the past the AMA has been too wishy-washy in the way they enforced their rules. It got to the point where no one would take them seriously, because every decision made at the track got overturned. Hopefully that never happens again.

For an organization to have any respectability they have to stick by their rules and decisions, no matter how unpopular the rule or decision is...or even how dumb a rule might be.

Just my .02.

CH
I agree. I think it's great that the AMA took away Josh Grant's first-ever 450 win by enforcing the "rules" and backing up their flaggers, even though the flaggers completely screwed up and Grant almost certainly never saw the yellow/red flag on the inside corner. Great call. Way to go AMA!
lumpy790
5/31/2009 6:38am
AMA has nothing to do with the NEW Nationals......Its MX Sports show now.

Its to bad Josh "rodeo" Grant lost his 1st 450 National win from his rule infraction....but he jumped and....... others did not. Hopefully this will get him fired up and drive him to more wins very soon.
pilotdude
5/31/2009 6:43am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2009 7:06am
I'm sure your right. I'm sure Josh Grant is saying to himself, "I SO deserve this! Why oh WHY did I jump that jump after not seeing that flag I didn't see?! What was I thinking?!"
WhKnuckle
5/31/2009 7:04am
I'm all for enforcing the rules, but I'm also all for flaggers giving unambiguous signals.

Maybe MX Sports can equip these flaggers with headsets like all the other big motorsports do, and communicate with each other about which flag they're going to show and where they're going to show it.
86init
5/31/2009 8:01am
AmateurMX wrote:
...or whomever is officiating the Nationals. Finally the "sanctioning body" is standing by their rule book. Josh had a great ride in the second 450 moto...

Just my .02.

CH
Josh did exactly what he was supposed to do. The yellow flag out ....use caution. Two flags ? One on the other side with someone standing in front of. MX Sports, do the right thing.

Just my .02.

Matt Wozney
5/31/2009 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:11am
Both flags looked similar. I would think the white/red cross flag stood out more than a yellow/red flag but I may be wrong. I'm not out there on the track racing so I really can't judge that. I had to take a double look at the red/yellow flag when I watched it on TV. I didn't think of it at first because I thought they were both yellow. Then, DB mentioned it and I noticed. I am all for following the rulebook. Rules are rules. And Josh rode great that moto! Just seems like the 2 different flags (at their speed) would be a blur of yellow and the possibility of cutting the throttle down a downhill jump like that could have cost more harm than good. But props are certainly given to MX Sports for following the rulebook anyway.

I just think the original white/red cross flag would be more noticeable than the yellow/red flag, especially if both are waved at the same time. It's just something that has been part of racing for years and today's pros racers have grown up with those flags.
The Rock
5/31/2009 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:11am
moto329 wrote:
I definitely don't like the calls that were made, but I do have to agree with this. Good on them for sticking to their guns.
For me the issue is more the yellow flag has a long history of being ignored with zero penalty involved.

I'd rather see only one flag utilized and have it actually mean something when it is waving....like slow down AND no jumping. Tough break for Grant though.......
WORCSRacer
5/31/2009 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2009 9:04pm
cobra314 wrote:
Maybe now they can get the flaggers to wave the correct flags. I'm all for them enforcing the rules, but having one yellow and one yellow/red...
Maybe now they can get the flaggers to wave the correct flags. I'm all for them enforcing the rules, but having one yellow and one yellow/red was wrong. How do we know that Grant even saw the yellow/red flag that was being waved on the inside when he was to the outside where the plain yellow was being waved?
They have flaggers that are designated yellow/red flaggers and they have general flaggers.

Post a reply to: Props to MX Sports...

The Latest